Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Shades of '87, albeit 31 years on

Deespicable

I suspect I'm not alone in thinking this year has the same feel about it as our 1987 experience.

Back then we were desperately trying to break our finals drought for Robbie Flower.

We had recruited well with three young guns in Todd Viney, Earl Spalding and Warren Dean giving us better depth than previous years.

But we lost Chris Connolly to a knee injury early (shades of Lever), then lost the dash of star wingman Alan Johnson (up stepped Graeme Yeats to fill that void a bit) and then on that fateful day at Whitten Oval in Rd 22, saw our star youngster Garry Lyon break his leg. But we managed to win that day. A ball heading for the boundary in the third term bounced at right angles and Robbie pounced to provide a bit of magic and turn the tide our way. Jason Dunstall helped us a bit down at Kardinia Park as well and hey presto we were in the finals again. 

Those who were around then will recall how our side suddenly developed faith and confidence and we played like champions in the finals against North and Tommy Hafey's Sydney the following week. It's fair to say that if our game goes up a notch on reaching the finals this year, then book your ticket now for the trip west to play West Coast in the prelim, because it will happen.

Then all we have to do is hope that the same ill-luck doesn't befall us as it did that day out at Waverley against the Hawks in 1987. 

Whilst our 1987 side had some absolute greats (Flower, Todd Viney and a couple of Brownlow medallists in Jimmy and Willo) and an outstanding back six, I reckon our current side is a tad better, although you'd hope so given the amount of time they work on their skills. 

Imagine if DL was around back then, it would have gone into overdrive with all the kicking errors!

For those of you of my vintage, let us know if my comparison stacks up. 

1987 PF team

B: B.Lovett Hughes Wight

HB: Stretch Spalding Grinter

? Yeats  Chiron Newport

HF: Flower Dean Bailey

F: Jackson Wilson Stynes

Ru: O’Dwyer T.Viney Greg Healy

Res: Eishold, Campbell

Back-ups: David Williams, Doug Koop

Injured: Lyon, Johnson, Connolly, Moore

Brett Lovett/Nev Jetta

Have a look at a video of the Rd 22 Footscray game and you’d realise how good Brett Lovett was. So disciplined, so clever. Nev has similar niftiness, but doesn’t get quite as involved in offence.

Danny Hughes/O.Mac

Our nominated full-backs.  Hughes in 1987 was up their with the best in the business back then. Both a tad slow, both thumping kicks capable of clearing the defensive 50. Hopefully Oscar’s confidence can continue to grow in the finals.

Sean Wight/Sam Frost

Hard not see the Wight resemblance in the way Frosty plays. Both gung-ho risk takers and excitement machines. Both capable of stunning turnovers as well, but even in today’s precise game, you sometimes have to take the good with the bad.

Stephen Stretch/Christian Salem

Salem has been our best defender this year. Stretch was our club champion in 1987. Stretch gave our defence amazing run launching us forward with his long- kicking,  Salem is not as quick, but his footskills are cleaner and he hits harder.

Rod Grinter/Michael Hibberd

Rodney provided the fear that all defences needed and evened up the score a little against the Hawks in the PF, sending Chris Mew to LaLa land. He also had a good leap and thumping kick. Hibberd has provided a great mix of aggression and run to our current side. Both would be among first picked each week by coach.

Dean Chiron/Jordy Lewis

Both came to us from other clubs and both played their role with distinction. Jordy has given us elite distribution skills, Chiron (highly unskilled by comparison to Jordy) was the fearless tagger in the days when clubs needed at least two or three nullifiers, bordering on dirty.

Earl Spalding/Tom Mc

One of three gun recruits that came to us that year. The WA started out as a CHB that year and was moved to CHF in 1988 because he was an amazing mark – possibly the best we’ve had. He wasn’t always so reliable with his kicking and Northey got jack of him in the early 90s. Carlton realised his worth and he was a key part of their ’95 flag.  T-Mac has already transformed into a gun forward and he is also a strong mark, judging ball flight better than just about anybody I’ve seen.  

Graeme Yeats/Angus Brayshaw

Yater had a career-best season in 1987 having been moved from the back-pocket to the wing. He provided great run, was a handy mark for his size, and apart from that PF miss, was generally a pretty reliable kick. He was a significant midfield upgrade that year. Angus has done the same this year but is bigger and classier.

Brett Bailey/ Jake Melksham

Bails was a tough mid who drifted forward and kicked a heap of goals that year. He was the glue in our 1987 side and was the hero of our night grand final win, kicking the winner. Melky has come of age this year and is the glue up forward with his bullet passes.

Simon Eishold/Alex Neal-Bullen

Eishold held his spot throughout the 1987 finals despite some dissenters.  He was a workhorse half forward whose kicking occasionally let him down, significantly the one from 10m out in the PF.  ANB is a prolific workhorse and also has his dissenters, but has a little more evasiveness about him and despite what some DLers say, has some neat kicking skills.

Stephen Newport/Dom Tyson

Newy came off the bench to replace Garry Lyon in the Footscray game and had what some will say was his best game that day on the wing with Dean shifted to CHF. He was a thumping kick (just like Dom), but didn’t have his inside skills.

Robbie Flower/Clayton Oliver

Hard to believe that he had to wait 270 games to play his first final. He was the player that kept fans believing throughout the dreadful 70s and 80s. And he stepped up big time in his first two finals before being sniped by Gary Ayres in the prelim. Olly hasn’t had to wait long for a final, but there is already a case being made that we are looking at similar genius.

Warren Dean/Mitch Hannan

Dean’s arrival as a wingman in 1987 with Todd and Earl helped turn us around. He was very clever with the give and a thumping kick and had to play CHF in the 1987 finals once Lyon went down. He injured his knee in 1988 and never really recovered. I sense with Mitch that after nearly two years of adjusting to AFL, this might be his time to shine like Dean did that September. He has the tools – the leap, the pace, the accurate long kick – he just needs to put it together more often.

Brian Wilson/CP5

Both have the hips that don’t lie and are showmen of the highest order. Willo won a Brownlow Medal in the middle and then became a mercurial baulking forward. Trac is just as mecurial.

Ricky Jackson/Charlie Spargo

We all loved tricky little Ricky and his pace caused mayhem back then. Charlie has the same cult following and whilst he’s not as quick, he has way more skill.

Tony Campbell/ Bayley Fritsch

Tony was used pretty much everywhere at the Dees, full-forward, wing and then as a key defender and on his day he was a pretty handy player.  I never really got over the fact he didn’t handball to Robbie in the goalsquare in time on against the Hawks. Bayley gives us the same flexibility and is a much more skilful player – almost Floweresque.

Jim Stynes/Sam Weideman

OK, in 1987 Jimmy was still a baby and was brought in mid-season from VFA side Prahran. But he gave us a glimpse of his ability that season and his mobility meant he could pretty much play anywhere and he kicked 15 goals that year.  Weid won’t be a Jimmy Stynes, but I was struggling to find a similar player from that year to marry him up with. To me, Weid has a bit of the TomaHawk about him, but let’s wait and see whether his game can go up a cog this final series.

Steve O’Dwyer/Max Gawn

Gawny would no doubt prefer the Stynes comparison, but Strawb was huge in 1987 (when not suspended) and gave us someone who could win the taps and dish it out to his opponent as well. Obviously Gawny has way more class about him and marks more like Jimmy.

Todd Viney/ James Harmes

Two young bulls. Todd, like Jack, was a  well-developed teenager in 1987 who loved charging  through packs and Harmes of the past few weeks has shown similar attributes. Harmesy is a better kick, but he has a long way to go to match Todd’s huge career. But I wouldn’t put it beyond him.

Greg Healy/Nathan Jones

Both are/were clever ball users and Sugar was already showing the leadership in 1987 that would see him replace Robbie as skip. Nathan’s career is nearing the end, although I’m expecting a final instalment as a defender to start next season.

David Williams/Aaron Vandenberg

Injury cost David his best years at the Dees, although he did kick nine one day. He wasn’t quite big enough to play FF, so often had to play as a half forward and I have a feeling he was dropped for the prelim, although maybe he was injured. Vanders has had similar luck with injury so far, but I’ll give you a tip – if we make the prelim, he won’t be dropped under any circumstances.

Doug Koop/Dean Kent

A talented player who Northey got plenty out of including a strong effort against the Dogs. Dropped for the prelim, he would have been the most likely inclusion for the injured Robbie or Willo had Jimmy not run over the mark and we had made the GF. We all got a reminder out west of what Kenty can do and hopefully he can keep bringing it for the next four games.

Absent five

Garry Lyon/Jesse Hogan

Our Gaz was still a teen but already a gun when he broke his leg in the Footscray game. There are a lot of what ifs in footy and I just reckon that if Alan Johnson and Lyon were playing, we might well have stolen the ’88 GF. Jesse is a different story, but like Gaz, integral to our forward line. Whether Weid can continue to replace him with such vigour remains to be seen. But at least he isn’t showing signs of grizzling about the umpiring.

Alan Johnson/Jack Viney

For a while it looked like Johnno was never going to be able to get his hamstrings right. Ditto Viney with his foot issues. But the best of Jonno came not as the wingman who won his first Bluey in 1983, but the running defender who altered the way footy was played from the back in 1988 and 1989. Perhaps a healthy Jack can do a similar reformation.

Chris Connolly /Jake Lever

Connells had become a mainstay down back as a small defender and did his knee in Rd 5 that year and never really got back to the same level. Lever showed in half a season that he’s a terrific mark and spoiler and let’s pray he gets back to that level next season.

Peter Moore/Joel Smith

Having turned 30, Moore had a few back issues and missed much of the season which ultimately helped because Strawb and Jimmy got goes. Smith’s season has gone the reverse. He finally got his chance when Lever went down and showed us all what he can do with his leap, speed and tackling ability. Will be interesting to see whom he replaces in coming weeks.

Peter Giles/Bernie Vince

As with Moore, Gilesy’s career as a gutsy defender who could occasionally be sent forward and turn games was coming to an end, although he played a key role in the night GF win in 87. Injury has seen Bernie miss his final shot at glory, but he has been a similarly revered asset in the rise of the club in his 100 games.

image.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 6

Introduced to the classic '87 season by default given I was too young to be involved or remember. My house had a VHS of each final (official VFL 'Name A Game'), as well as a recorded copy of the "replay" of the Bulldogs game on...I think it was ABC? Just the last 10 minutes or so. The full game is on YouTube now but I remember watching the matches growing up in the 90s thinking "WOW The game has changed so much!".

Looking back on it now, I can finally appreciate the joy of supporters on the day. In the 90s and 2000s I saw quite a bit of finals action, 90, 91, 94 and 98 were great, fun years. Then you had the 2000s as well. But the last decade has been brutal and I didn't really dawn on me how long we've been a non-factor until I started watching random highlights from 2010 and 2011 earlier this week, and then saw the 2008 comeback against Freo pop up in my "RECOMMEND" section. That match feels like yesterday but was so, sooooo long ago.

Edited by praha
  • Like 1

Nothing like 87. In 87 there were no expectations and we made the finals by winning the last 6 games in a row and relied on other results to favour our challenge.

In the second half of the season, Northey had finally settled on a winning combination and set up. Who would ever have believed that Chiron and Koop were so capable. The back six in 87 are the equal of any defence of any club since then. Jackson had come from nowhere as a goal kicking rover.

The best way to describe the change over the season is to reflect on the half back line. At the start of the season our best HB line comprised R White Icke Giles. By the end of the season it was, in its best iteration, Lovett Spalding Grinter. That was the transformation that Northey wrought. By comparison, 2018 has been a year of steady progression and improvement.

As for the player comparison, no one, not even Clarry, should be compared to the incomparable and magnificent Robbie. He stands apart from all other players we have had the pleasure to watch in a universe of his own. RIP Robbie.

Go dees.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Deespicable said:

I suspect I'm not alone in thinking this year has the same feel about it as our 1987 experience.

Back then we were desperately trying to break our finals drought for Robbie Flower.

We had recruited well with three young guns in Todd Viney, Earl Spalding and Warren Dean giving us better depth than previous years.

But we lost Chris Connolly to a knee injury early (shades of Lever), then lost the dash of star wingman Alan Johnson (up stepped Graeme Yeats to fill that void a bit) and then on that fateful day at Whitten Oval in Rd 22, saw our star youngster Garry Lyon break his leg. But we managed to win that day. A ball heading for the boundary in the third term bounced at right angles and Robbie pounced to provide a bit of magic and turn the tide our way. Jason Dunstall helped us a bit down at Kardinia Park as well and hey presto we were in the finals again. 

Those who were around then will recall how our side suddenly developed faith and confidence and we played like champions in the finals against North and Tommy Hafey's Sydney the following week. It's fair to say that if our game goes up a notch on reaching the finals this year, then book your ticket now for the trip west to play West Coast in the prelim, because it will happen.

Then all we have to do is hope that the same ill-luck doesn't befall us as it did that day out at Waverley against the Hawks in 1987. 

Whilst our 1987 side had some absolute greats (Flower, Todd Viney and a couple of Brownlow medallists in Jimmy and Willo) and an outstanding back six, I reckon our current side is a tad better, although you'd hope so given the amount of time they work on their skills. 

Imagine if DL was around back then, it would have gone into overdrive with all the kicking errors!

For those of you of my vintage, let us know if my comparison stacks up. 

1987 PF team

B: B.Lovett Hughes Wight

HB: Stretch Spalding Grinter

? Yeats  Chiron Newport

HF: Flower Dean Bailey

F: Jackson Wilson Stynes

Ru: O’Dwyer T.Viney Greg Healy

Res: Eishold, Campbell

Back-ups: David Williams, Doug Koop

Injured: Lyon, Johnson, Connolly, Moore

Brett Lovett/Nev Jetta

Have a look at a video of the Rd 22 Footscray game and you’d realise how good Brett Lovett was. So disciplined, so clever. Nev has similar niftiness, but doesn’t get quite as involved in offence.

Danny Hughes/O.Mac

Our nominated full-backs.  Hughes in 1987 was up their with the best in the business back then. Both a tad slow, both thumping kicks capable of clearing the defensive 50. Hopefully Oscar’s confidence can continue to grow in the finals.

Sean Wight/Sam Frost

Hard not see the Wight resemblance in the way Frosty plays. Both gung-ho risk takers and excitement machines. Both capable of stunning turnovers as well, but even in today’s precise game, you sometimes have to take the good with the bad.

Stephen Stretch/Christian Salem

Salem has been our best defender this year. Stretch was our club champion in 1987. Stretch gave our defence amazing run launching us forward with his long- kicking,  Salem is not as quick, but his footskills are cleaner and he hits harder.

Rod Grinter/Michael Hibberd

Rodney provided the fear that all defences needed and evened up the score a little against the Hawks in the PF, sending Chris Mew to LaLa land. He also had a good leap and thumping kick. Hibberd has provided a great mix of aggression and run to our current side. Both would be among first picked each week by coach.

Dean Chiron/Jordy Lewis

Both came to us from other clubs and both played their role with distinction. Jordy has given us elite distribution skills, Chiron (highly unskilled by comparison to Jordy) was the fearless tagger in the days when clubs needed at least two or three nullifiers, bordering on dirty.

Earl Spalding/Tom Mc

One of three gun recruits that came to us that year. The WA started out as a CHB that year and was moved to CHF in 1988 because he was an amazing mark – possibly the best we’ve had. He wasn’t always so reliable with his kicking and Northey got jack of him in the early 90s. Carlton realised his worth and he was a key part of their ’95 flag.  T-Mac has already transformed into a gun forward and he is also a strong mark, judging ball flight better than just about anybody I’ve seen.  

Graeme Yeats/Angus Brayshaw

Yater had a career-best season in 1987 having been moved from the back-pocket to the wing. He provided great run, was a handy mark for his size, and apart from that PF miss, was generally a pretty reliable kick. He was a significant midfield upgrade that year. Angus has done the same this year but is bigger and classier.

Brett Bailey/ Jake Melksham

Bails was a tough mid who drifted forward and kicked a heap of goals that year. He was the glue in our 1987 side and was the hero of our night grand final win, kicking the winner. Melky has come of age this year and is the glue up forward with his bullet passes.

Simon Eishold/Alex Neal-Bullen

Eishold held his spot throughout the 1987 finals despite some dissenters.  He was a workhorse half forward whose kicking occasionally let him down, significantly the one from 10m out in the PF.  ANB is a prolific workhorse and also has his dissenters, but has a little more evasiveness about him and despite what some DLers say, has some neat kicking skills.

Stephen Newport/Dom Tyson

Newy came off the bench to replace Garry Lyon in the Footscray game and had what some will say was his best game that day on the wing with Dean shifted to CHF. He was a thumping kick (just like Dom), but didn’t have his inside skills.

Robbie Flower/Clayton Oliver

Hard to believe that he had to wait 270 games to play his first final. He was the player that kept fans believing throughout the dreadful 70s and 80s. And he stepped up big time in his first two finals before being sniped by Gary Ayres in the prelim. Olly hasn’t had to wait long for a final, but there is already a case being made that we are looking at similar genius.

Warren Dean/Mitch Hannan

Dean’s arrival as a wingman in 1987 with Todd and Earl helped turn us around. He was very clever with the give and a thumping kick and had to play CHF in the 1987 finals once Lyon went down. He injured his knee in 1988 and never really recovered. I sense with Mitch that after nearly two years of adjusting to AFL, this might be his time to shine like Dean did that September. He has the tools – the leap, the pace, the accurate long kick – he just needs to put it together more often.

Brian Wilson/CP5

Both have the hips that don’t lie and are showmen of the highest order. Willo won a Brownlow Medal in the middle and then became a mercurial baulking forward. Trac is just as mecurial.

Ricky Jackson/Charlie Spargo

We all loved tricky little Ricky and his pace caused mayhem back then. Charlie has the same cult following and whilst he’s not as quick, he has way more skill.

Tony Campbell/ Bayley Fritsch

Tony was used pretty much everywhere at the Dees, full-forward, wing and then as a key defender and on his day he was a pretty handy player.  I never really got over the fact he didn’t handball to Robbie in the goalsquare in time on against the Hawks. Bayley gives us the same flexibility and is a much more skilful player – almost Floweresque.

Jim Stynes/Sam Weideman

OK, in 1987 Jimmy was still a baby and was brought in mid-season from VFA side Prahran. But he gave us a glimpse of his ability that season and his mobility meant he could pretty much play anywhere and he kicked 15 goals that year.  Weid won’t be a Jimmy Stynes, but I was struggling to find a similar player from that year to marry him up with. To me, Weid has a bit of the TomaHawk about him, but let’s wait and see whether his game can go up a cog this final series.

Steve O’Dwyer/Max Gawn

Gawny would no doubt prefer the Stynes comparison, but Strawb was huge in 1987 (when not suspended) and gave us someone who could win the taps and dish it out to his opponent as well. Obviously Gawny has way more class about him and marks more like Jimmy.

Todd Viney/ James Harmes

Two young bulls. Todd, like Jack, was a  well-developed teenager in 1987 who loved charging  through packs and Harmes of the past few weeks has shown similar attributes. Harmesy is a better kick, but he has a long way to go to match Todd’s huge career. But I wouldn’t put it beyond him.

Greg Healy/Nathan Jones

Both are/were clever ball users and Sugar was already showing the leadership in 1987 that would see him replace Robbie as skip. Nathan’s career is nearing the end, although I’m expecting a final instalment as a defender to start next season.

David Williams/Aaron Vandenberg

Injury cost David his best years at the Dees, although he did kick nine one day. He wasn’t quite big enough to play FF, so often had to play as a half forward and I have a feeling he was dropped for the prelim, although maybe he was injured. Vanders has had similar luck with injury so far, but I’ll give you a tip – if we make the prelim, he won’t be dropped under any circumstances.

Doug Koop/Dean Kent

A talented player who Northey got plenty out of including a strong effort against the Dogs. Dropped for the prelim, he would have been the most likely inclusion for the injured Robbie or Willo had Jimmy not run over the mark and we had made the GF. We all got a reminder out west of what Kenty can do and hopefully he can keep bringing it for the next four games.

Absent five

Garry Lyon/Jesse Hogan

Our Gaz was still a teen but already a gun when he broke his leg in the Footscray game. There are a lot of what ifs in footy and I just reckon that if Alan Johnson and Lyon were playing, we might well have stolen the ’88 GF. Jesse is a different story, but like Gaz, integral to our forward line. Whether Weid can continue to replace him with such vigour remains to be seen. But at least he isn’t showing signs of grizzling about the umpiring.

Alan Johnson/Jack Viney

For a while it looked like Johnno was never going to be able to get his hamstrings right. Ditto Viney with his foot issues. But the best of Jonno came not as the wingman who won his first Bluey in 1983, but the running defender who altered the way footy was played from the back in 1988 and 1989. Perhaps a healthy Jack can do a similar reformation.

Chris Connolly /Jake Lever

Connells had become a mainstay down back as a small defender and did his knee in Rd 5 that year and never really got back to the same level. Lever showed in half a season that he’s a terrific mark and spoiler and let’s pray he gets back to that level next season.

Peter Moore/Joel Smith

Having turned 30, Moore had a few back issues and missed much of the season which ultimately helped because Strawb and Jimmy got goes. Smith’s season has gone the reverse. He finally got his chance when Lever went down and showed us all what he can do with his leap, speed and tackling ability. Will be interesting to see whom he replaces in coming weeks.

Peter Giles/Bernie Vince

As with Moore, Gilesy’s career as a gutsy defender who could occasionally be sent forward and turn games was coming to an end, although he played a key role in the night GF win in 87. Injury has seen Bernie miss his final shot at glory, but he has been a similarly revered asset in the rise of the club in his 100 games.

image.png

I love the enthusiasm and energy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

I have posted these before, but happy to give them another showing. These are original posters I got from the front of 2 newsagencies, and framed them years later

2012-02-05 13.14.03.jpg

2012-02-05 13.14.48.jpg

Gold.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Demon_spurs said:

I have posted these before, but happy to give them another showing. These are original posters I got from the front of 2 newsagencies, and framed them years later

2012-02-05 13.14.03.jpg

2012-02-05 13.14.48.jpg

2012-02-05 13.14.03.jpg

What a fantastic Caricature of the Demon player.

Can someone scan this Caricature in colour?

edit: This CARICATURE is a well balanced and hungry Demon, Busy, with eyes looking ahead to the job at hand.

Edited by DV8

48 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

2012-02-05 13.14.03.jpg

2012-02-05 13.14.48.jpg

You lucky bugger. I'm jealous as I would love them. I left the ground unable to talk for two days as we cheered and sang the song so loud. Ready to do it again now. Bring it on.

4 minutes ago, DV8 said:

2012-02-05 13.14.03.jpg

What a fantastic Caricature of the Demon player.

Can someone scan this Caricature in colour?

It is signed by Weg (William Ellis Green)... a famous cartoonist who drew most of the football posters.

The original drawings by Weg are quite collectible I understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ellis_Green

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Boy, could Brett Lovett handball such a long way and so accurately.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yes it was a "Kennedy moment".....Where were you when you heard the siren go at the Western Oval. I was driving home as I had been working all day Saturday, listening on the radio, somehow I have a feeling it was on the racing channel so updates were between races (wow do you remember that). I drove home with tears streaming down my face, still makes me emotional even today. Next day I was determined to get the daily flyers. I got very strange looks when I asked for the poster from the front of the shop. They take pride of place in my study and I don't believe I could part with them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

It is signed by Weg (William Ellis Green)... a famous cartoonist who drew most of the football posters.

The original drawings by Weg are quite collectible I understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ellis_Green

here is another I just found by Weg.

1a3c11c58a119dab26604fc0c2286547--antiqu

After, the '57 event...

A very mild contented looking Demon.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Demon_spurs said:

2012-02-05 13.14.03.jpg

2012-02-05 13.14.48.jpg

Mate of mine had “Day of The Demon” on his office door for about 10 years. 

I hope still has it

Yep, I’ve posted many times - there was something incredibly special and surreal about ‘87. Like episodes of Get Smart, I can remember the commentary of Tim Lane, Robbo etc the exact word for those 3 games - Footscray, North Melbourne and Sydney. High rotation for about 31 years!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DV8 said:

here is another I just found by Weg.

1a3c11c58a119dab26604fc0c2286547--antiqu

After, the '57 event...

A very mild contented looking Demon.

Very lucky as I saw them all.

2 hours ago, Demon_spurs said:

Yes it was a "Kennedy moment".....Where were you when you heard the siren go at the Western Oval. I was driving home as I had been working all day Saturday, listening on the radio, somehow I have a feeling it was on the racing channel so updates were between races (wow do you remember that). I drove home with tears streaming down my face, still makes me emotional even today. Next day I was determined to get the daily flyers. I got very strange looks when I asked for the poster from the front of the shop. They take pride of place in my study and I don't believe I could part with them.

I was standing in the outer of the Western Oval that day.

Everyone was listening to the Hawthorn/Geelong match on trannies*. At one stage, it was either when Dunstall kicked his second goal in 2 minutes or when the siren at that match blew (can't remember which), the cheer at the Western Oval was so loud that that players stopped thinking the siren must have blown.

There is also folklore that complete strangers hugged each other at the ground. It's not folklore ... quite true.

The feeling now is quite different to 1987.

*Transistor radios, not transexuals ...

Edited by bingers
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, MT64 said:

Very lucky as I saw them all.

I didn't see any of them, growing up in a Carlton dominated household (father & big sister)... the blues took precedent in replays and news items.

But mum was a silent submissive demon.  I found out later on. Little me was always outvoted.

Barrassi leaving for Carton was salt in the wound.

Then Smithy being sacked was like an Earthquake.

I remained a 'D'_

I was too young to understand that we WON, the '64 Premiership. 

And don't remember seeing the replay, let alone the game.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bingers said:

I was standing in the outer of the Western Oval that day.

Everyone was listening to the Hawthorn/Geelong match on trannies*. At one stage, it was either when Dunstall kicked his second goal in 2 minutes or when the siren at that match blew (can't remember which), the cheer at the Western Oval was so loud that that players stopped thinking the siren must have blown.

There is also folklore that complete strangers hugged each other at the ground. It's not folklore ... quite true.

The feeling now is quite different to 1987.

*Transistor radios, not transexuals ...

Remember it well 'bingers'...

The feeling in the outer at Western Oval and the many beers after at a local pub...

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

Remember it well 'bingers'...

The feeling in the outer at Western Oval and the many beers after at a local pub...

The train went past the Western Oval and blew its horn with about 5 minutes to go. 

That got the crowd roaring!!

1987 - that was a fantastic last two months of the season.  We were 6 wins and 10 losses and then got on a massive role after beating the Cats at VFL Park. Ticked off the Magpies, Tigers, Bears and WC Eagles at the G on a Friday night - losing Grinter and O'Dwyer to suspension after that game and took on the Doggies at the Western Oval.  The rest is history.  Warren Dean was a star and could have been anything but for his wonky knees.  I loved that team but I believe our current side is more talented.  The 1987 team also had to compete with Hawthorn and Carlton - two great sides.  I think Richmond are a really good team, but they don't compare to Hawthorn of the 80's.  We could do something really special over the next month if we get a solid run with injury.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Call Me What You Will said:

Yep, I’ve posted many times - there was something incredibly special and surreal about ‘87. Like episodes of Get Smart, I can remember the commentary of Tim Lane, Robbo etc the exact word for those 3 games - Footscray, North Melbourne and Sydney. High rotation for about 31 years!!

I can still picture Tim Lane asking after we thrashed Nth and the Swans “who is going to stop them?” The best of days

• Like 1