Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Support Melbourne

old55

When you decided to take on the honour of coaching or playing for any club, what ever sport,you embody the whole identity of that club.

Unfortunately our club hasn't been that successful in the past 50 years, its now there time to right the wrongs of the past and make it successful.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

None of us have jumped off. But history is what we are. Last Sunday is now history. 

Deny the past if you want, it still exists. 

Make new history of course, make great history full of new heroes

but as it stands right now we are still without success in 54 years

You have to be kidding. People jump off on a weekly basis, that’s why there’s a “is Goodwin the right man for the job” thread still on the front page of this forum. That is a classic example of lightning a bunsen burner under the coach’s arse for absolutely no good reason.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Deny the past if you want, it still exists.

You can either become eternally depressed by the past or get over it. I can't see the point of continually harping on it.

Fifty-5's point was that this is a new team, without that baggage, with a great chance of success in the future, and they don't care about what happened 30 years ago (like you obviously still do), only what happens on the road ahead. We should support them.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Nasher said:

You have to be kidding. People jump off on a weekly basis, that’s why there’s a “is Goodwin the right man for the job” thread still on the front page of this forum. That is a classic example of lightning a bunsen burner under the coach’s arse for absolutely no good reason.

Jump off to me is when someone walks away and supports another Club 100%

Goodwin’s defensive tactics and game still worry me, but September will teach him a lot. 

Pressure valve goes right up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mauriesy said:

You can either become eternally depressed by the past or get over it. I can't see the point of continually harping on it.

Fifty-5's point was that this is a new team, without that baggage, with a great chance of success in the future, and they don't care about what happened 30 years ago (like you obviously still do), only what happens on the road ahead. We should support them.

I do support them. I sent the MCC & MFC $914 yesterday, so don’t lecture me. 

Deny history at your own peril (If i shut my eyes it is not happening). 

Everyone employed at our club should be embracing our history and be ready to create their own stamp. 

We have 12 Flags and then a big gap

13-15 would be nice

• Love 1

What a thread...

How to suck eggs 101 for Demons...

Ffs ...some have a hide.

• Like 1

Harping on ancient history is not fully supporting them. It's placing a load on their shoulders that is not of their making, nor their responsibility.

I don't care how much you sent Melbourne and I'm not lecturing you. I'm just sick of the continual negativity and backward outlook here, even when we win.

(Supporting Melbourne since the 1950s.)

• Like 3

I am a positive person who hasn’t lived through what others have. But we are, as a supporter base, more negative than others, IMO, although there is a large element of it at all clubs.

It’s a byproduct of people getting their identity through supporting a terrible team for a long time, but it will change over time. Unfortunately it will probably come (as most culture change of large population does) through people dying off and youngsters replacing them.

It will change eventually but many people in society do follow football precisely for the reason that they can be angry and upset the majority of the time. I, personally, couldn’t think of a worse way to live my own life but the world is made up of a lot of different people.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

What a fantastic win against West Coast - the club showed tremendous mental strength after a week of solid bashing in the media to beat the team 2nd on ladder and at their hostile home ground.

I recommend a close listen to Simon Goodwin's press conference.  He always makes a lot of sense if you listen carefully.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2018-08-19/rd-22-simon-goodwin-media-conference

"[Our supporters] have got a team they can really support"

There is a whole new generation at the club and they are only responsible for what happens on their watch, not what happened 10, 20 or 50 years ago. This new generation has been unfairly carrying the burden of lack of success over the ages.  They are only responsible for their own creation - and yes there have been failures e.g. 2017 R23, but there's been progress too - a lot more progress than failure.  We're a young team learning the hard lessons the hard way.

Losing culture is just in supporters minds - nowhere else. The club name is the same, the colours are the same, the supporters are the same - but the team is new. The biggest risk is supporters who have experienced disappointment over many years putting their own burden of poisonous negativity onto this group - you don't have to look far to find that here. We supporters need to show some mental strength and not jump off at the first sign of a speed bump.

I want to appeal to all Melbourne supporters to really get behind this team through thick and thin.  I'm very confident we're coming into a golden era for the club. 

A few points, if I may: 

1) What supporters have jumped off?  In the last 5 years our membership has been growing.  We had record attendances at games last year.  To me that shows great support for the current generation of players, coaches and staff who in the main have arrived during those 5 years.  So imo supporters don't deserve the label of burdening the current players with 'posionous negativity'. 

2) Some have volunteered, bought memberships and made donations for decades regardless of our on-field performance.  Some go to every single game.  All of us stick up for our beloved Demons when anyone outside the 'demon family' criticise us or our club. We proudly wear our colours even after we lose/get thrashed.   So, I would say demon fans have shown incredible resilience and loyalty for our beloved Demons.

3) Re the last para.  Everyone on this board has supported the club and will continue to support 'through thick and thin'.  In recent times through a lot more thick than thin, really.  Why do you think they will stop supporting the club? 

4) Perhaps you want DL posters to write only jolly stuff?  Maybe you want them to never question?  TBH I find the constant optimistic posts as boring and robotic as the constant negative ones.  Neither group of posters will change nor be objective and it is really annoying when they bog down threads in [censored]-for-tat insults.  Both groups give as good as they get. 

I enjoy the posts of reasoned commentary, reasonable questions and yes at times criticisms when done respectfully.  Along with the humourous ones is what brings me back to DL.  And DL helps people vent once in a while.  

If you would like to see Demonland sanitised then maybe the moderators can delete relevant threads and posts.  Not that it matters as players wouldn't read DL anyway.  When Paul Roos was on DL podcoast he had never heard of it!

Mostly, I would like to understand what type of supporter behaviour you are looking for.

Edit: didn't know t*t-for-tat was banned on here ?

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, mauriesy said:

Harping on ancient history is not fully supporting them. It's placing a load on their shoulders that is not of their making, nor their responsibility.

I don't care how much you sent Melbourne and I'm not lecturing you. I'm just sick of the continual negativity and backward outlook here, even when we win.

(Supporting Melbourne since the 1950s.)

The only way forward is to break the chains and do the hard work. 

This club hasn’t worked hard enough for success since 1964. It has hoped it would win. 

We have a chance this year to change that, but 7 other teams will be looking for our weak spot, hell we have shown it to them enough. 

You can deny psychology all you like, but it is an important factor. 

If Goodwin can break the Hoo Doo he will be a revered man, but a long way to go yet

11 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Hang on a minute, questioning the coach is jumping off? 

You can raise legitimate concerns and you can crack it when our team does stupid [censored] like lose to St Kilda or lose to Geelong twice by under a goal. That does not mean you are not invested or have jumped off.

I get upset and annoyed and emotional, but I am as invested as ever. Nobody here has said they are off to support another team, and everyone deserves to enjoy our first finals campaign in 12 years, no matter how many times they've sworn at the club in that time. 

• Like 3

Just now, mauriesy said:

There you go ... again.

Sure. But it is a fact. 

We can go one further this year, we have given ourselves that chance. 

The real work starts this week, Finals pressure goes up at least 10%

i am a very passionate supporter and Member, but i do not deny what has gone down before  

17 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

I am a positive person who hasn’t lived through what others have. But we are, as a supporter base, more negative than others, IMO, although there is a large element of it at all clubs.

It’s a byproduct of people getting their identity through supporting a terrible team for a long time, but it will change over time. Unfortunately it will probably come (as most culture change of large population does) through people dying off and youngsters replacing them.

It will change eventually but many people in society do follow football precisely for the reason that they can be angry and upset the majority of the time. I, personally, couldn’t think of a worse way to live my own life but the world is made up of a lot of different people.

I think you're probably right there. Was at St.Kilda Vs Hawthorn Saturday night (guest) and was envious of the Hawthorn supporters' nonchalance / confidence (smugness?) that their team would overcome the challenge. Compare that to Sunday afternoon, where for long moments I'd forgotten to breathe!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

If making a negative comment or saying something critical of a player or coach means 'jumping off' the club we love, have supported all our lives then we may as well shut down DL or stipulate it is only for the fanboys and fangirls.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Great post @Fifty-5

Unfortunately, idiots are going to idiot.

And the sanctimonious will be sanctimonious..and no one does it quite like you.

We all enjoy following Melbourne...in our own manners and capacities. We don't need, and I certainly don't care to be lectured.

Go Dees

5 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

No one's asking you to deny it. They're just asking you to get over it.

Get over what??

The Club is 160 years old. I support the whole lot. We are the longest Premiership drought in the comp, break it and the modern history can stand tall again

YOU are being selective

3 minutes ago, DubDee said:

anyone know how to find out when training is? the mfc website didnt have anything I could see   

I have next week off so I want to 'support melbourne'

Good question.

The website says Thursday morning but as it is a Sunday game, I figured it would be a Friday morning training session. Anyone know?

Firstly we are lucky to live in a country we’re we can have an opinion, be safe and have a great life.

As far as ‘barracking & supporting’ a sporting team as humans the spectrum will vary from those whom it is their lives 24/7 to those who just provide token support.

Unfortunatley in this current world with Social Media some negative posts have a lot more affect on individuals & management within a Club than they ever had before, hence the exploding issues with mental health of players at clubs. 

IMHO this is what Goodwin was referring to.

Edited by Lord Ivanhoe

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Get over what??

The past negativity. As a supporter I am approaching the finals series with a hugely positive outlook. Even if we don't get past the first week. Then I'll be positive for 2019.

I'm not interested in what happened in 1965, 1975 or 1985, to Norm Smith, or Neeld, or Watts. I don't need to be reminded of our past every minute of the day, every day of the week. I know it and I choose now to ignore it.

Edited by mauriesy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3