Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Hawthorn



dazzledavey36

Dean Kent, Aaron Vandenberg and Mitch Hannan

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

That was very noticeable DV.  On at least one occasion i saw him initially get a rush of blood when he saw an opening ahead and ran a little only to check himself and give the ball off quickly to someone open on the angle.

Kudos to Troy Chaplin here

He actually played, last year, very much like Hunt did.  Manic run & carry, without thinking.  pigeon pair.

Lets hope Hunt can work this out, as well.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DV8 said:

He actually played, last year, very much like Hunt did.  Manic run & carry, without thinking.  pigeon pair.

Lets hope Hunt can work this out, as well.

I think that's true DV but i also think Hunt is now copping a soft tag as well (ie., opponent playing him much closer than may have been the case previously) rather than his player zoning off a little more for the potential intercept / chop out earlier in his career.  Hence he no longer has the luxury of running off so often at will with as much space on his opponent (early into the run) as he probably did in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that Hannan earned his call-up (while missing a gettable set shot), let's see if he can back it up. He's done this before (more or less), good first game back in the firsts from Casey, but then faded from then on to end up being dropped again.

Kent started to show a few more smarts, has put his time at Casey to good use. Still see him as a bit of a loose cannon, and he tends to rack up the Frees Against, but if he can get the job done, he'll have earned his place.

I actually don't think we'll take these 3 plus Spargo into the finals, as much as anything because all 3 tend to flash in/out of games, which you can't afford once everything goes up a notch. But ... ??

Going to learn a lot next week, but don't think too many players will be putting in short steps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hannan is criminally underrated on Demonland.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deespicable said:

 

Vanders is the most dangerous player at the club - with Viney out, he's the one player you don't want to draw in team tackling drills. He a different personality to others on our team, but he's got some amazing abilities and he's been a part of all our big wins in the past four years (except last year when he was out). That includes BOG v Richmond in our first ever Anzac Eve night game and on Hodgey v Hawthorn in 2016. And people don't realise this but with Jayden injured, he's the fastest straight-line sprinter in the team over distance from 40m to 75m - Frosty can get to him by 80m.

This shocked me, he must have been injured when I last saw him play as I remember thinking he was too slow and it was a perception I still carried so thanks for the correction. He certainly kept his strength, I thought he was a little lucky not to get some more HTB against him but I really love the way he stands up in a tackle, has some strength that is for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

I think that's true DV but i also think Hunt is now copping a soft tag as well (ie., opponent playing him much closer than may have been the case previously) rather than his player zoning off a little more for the potential intercept / chop out earlier in his career.  Hence he no longer has the luxury of running off so often at will with as much space on his opponent (early into the run) as he probably did in the past. 

O,K...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Agree that Hannan earned his call-up (while missing a gettable set shot), let's see if he can back it up. He's done this before (more or less), good first game back in the firsts from Casey, but then faded from then on to end up being dropped again.

Kent started to show a few more smarts, has put his time at Casey to good use. Still see him as a bit of a loose cannon, and he tends to rack up the Frees Against, but if he can get the job done, he'll have earned his place.

I actually don't think we'll take these 3 plus Spargo into the finals, as much as anything because all 3 tend to flash in/out of games, which you can't afford once everything goes up a notch. But ... ??

Going to learn a lot next week, but don't think too many players will be putting in short steps.

He is a player well worth persisting with on our list...  only his second year, with 'imo' a lot to look forward to in future. hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, It's Time said:

Are you getting confused with Warren Ralph who played for Blues and elsewhere?  

Warren Dean was a ranging half forward with a constant ability to kick long torpedoes at will on the run. Never saw him play as a key forward. Best torpedo kicker I've seen. Diamond Jim could kick them longer when he got on to them but not as consistently as Dean. 

Sorry to get off topic.

Loved the games from these three. Stepped up when it mattered. Goody and match committee finally got their selections both In and Out right for the first time in a while. Certainly compared to last week which was a fiasco. 

 

3 hours ago, tiers said:

No. Carlton's Ralph was a shooting star. Did nothing.

Dean got injured and lost a career. Look at how he starred in the 87 finals. Could kick long but could also take a mark at CHF and could move at ground level..

 

2 hours ago, bluey said:

Never happened, Dean played on a wing, Earl Spalding played at CHF.

 

53 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Warren Dean.  Yep.   He played mostly on the flank, But i think he did play at chf for periods in games, or one or two games.

6'-3" tall and wiry thin.  A very mobile and running tall, who could drift across packs. And a long kick of the footy.

A good marking player around the ground. 

Prone to injury.  Came in with Spalding, and Ray ????

Dean was a winger though if I remember correctly he rather surprisingly played the 87 finals as CHF when Lyon went down in the winning final H&A game at Western Oval and acquitted himself rather well.

I think he got a knee and hardly played again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All three did some great things, and Hannan in particular stood up at critical moments (although he did fluff that easy shot in the fourth which opened the door for WC a little bit).

But there is also considerable room for improvement in all three (plus Spargo, ANB (when we play good sides) and Petracca).

That's six half-forward-esque players, all of whom are contributing in bits and bobs but all who can do more. That goes both ways - we have considerable room to improve, but if we carry them all into the GWS game or the first final and they all struggle, that's a solid portion of the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

No one wanted Sam Frost in the team an oversight by the Coaching Panel by necessity he was bought in.

He wasn't in earlier and i dont know why, especially a man that size and his closing speed. His distribution has improved out of sight, on ya Frosty.👍

He wasnt in because the coach is dumb and stubborn. An absolute travesty .Thank god he woke up. Such a bad bad decision by Goodwin yet to be explained by any one near to the club.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These guys are all critical some September. Out top 6-7 are in focus but it’s Anb Harmes Frost Vandenburg Kent Hannan etc that can win us games. They play a role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jackaub said:

He wasnt in because the coach is dumb and stubborn. An absolute travesty .Thank god he woke up. Such a bad bad decision by Goodwin yet to be explained by any one near to the club.

No.  Frosty got another chance,,, after he started to use the ball differently, better, more creatively.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd seen Kent kick enough goals in the wind at Casey Fields to be quietly confident when he was lining up for goal yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deespicable said:

I've mentioned before how Frosty was done in by Jordy and the precise ball movement set, but the loss to the pacey Pies I think made Goody realise that you need a mix of players to be successful.

The topic was about the other three.

Hannan's first half was as good as any medium forward we have had - including Robbo and Brad Green and further back to Yze and Gerard Healy (circa 1982). Obviously it will be hard to repeat, but provided he attacks the pill like that, he will be an asset during the finals - possibly a bit like Warren Dean of 1987 finals series.

Vanders is the most dangerous player at the club - with Viney out, he's the one player you don't want to draw in team tackling drills. He a different personality to others on our team, but he's got some amazing abilities and he's been a part of all our big wins in the past four years (except last year when he was out). That includes BOG v Richmond in our first ever Anzac Eve night game and on Hodgey v Hawthorn in 2016. And people don't realise this but with Jayden injured, he's the fastest straight-line sprinter in the team over distance from 40m to 75m - Frosty can get to him by 80m.

Kent is a bit of an enigma and has lacked confidence and smarts at times, but his second half yesterday was huge. Unfortunately after what has happened to him under Goody, I had written him off playing such a key role, but there he was - back to the talented left-footer with the thumping kick that he showed us all in 2016. 

 

I remember Vanders in our win v Hawthorn in 2016 and how easily he outbodied Hodge in a crucial contest right near the end of the match. He looks a bit like a 6 month old baby and has the power to weight ratio of one too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vanders first half should not be overlooked. His ferocity in the contest is unparalleled in this team, which is a big call given some of our contested beasts but it’s there for all to see. He tackles to hurt, legally, and shrugs tackles like he’s offended they are even trying. Not only that, he makes smart decisions in tight. His kicking will never be a strength but if he can bring that intensity every week then he can make himself a walk up start.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

These guys are all critical some September. Out top 6-7 are in focus but it’s Anb Harmes Frost Vandenburg Kent Hannan etc that can win us games. They play a role.

When it comes to finals you expect your stars to perform, but it’s the bottom end players that get you over the line. You can’t have passengers in finals. 

All three of them and throw in Frost, OMac, Spargo, and ANB will have to step things us in September. 

Given that yesterday was like a final for us there were mostly good signs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Deespicable said:

I've mentioned before how Frosty was done in by Jordy and the precise ball movement set, but the loss to the pacey Pies I think made Goody realise that you need a mix of players to be successful.

The topic was about the other three.

Hannan's first half was as good as any medium forward we have had - including Robbo and Brad Green and further back to Yze and Gerard Healy (circa 1982). Obviously it will be hard to repeat, but provided he attacks the pill like that, he will be an asset during the finals - possibly a bit like Warren Dean of 1987 finals series.

Vanders is the most dangerous player at the club - with Viney out, he's the one player you don't want to draw in team tackling drills. He a different personality to others on our team, but he's got some amazing abilities and he's been a part of all our big wins in the past four years (except last year when he was out). That includes BOG v Richmond in our first ever Anzac Eve night game and on Hodgey v Hawthorn in 2016. And people don't realise this but with Jayden injured, he's the fastest straight-line sprinter in the team over distance from 40m to 75m - Frosty can get to him by 80m.

Kent is a bit of an enigma and has lacked confidence and smarts at times, but his second half yesterday was huge. Unfortunately after what has happened to him under Goody, I had written him off playing such a key role, but there he was - back to the talented left-footer with the thumping kick that he showed us all in 2016. 

 

Re Warren Dean didn’t we loose him just prior to the 87 final series with a career ending knee injury. He tried to come back but the knee kept swelling up. My vague memory was of a very dynamic and rangy half forward who was mobile with good hands and could kick the ball a mile. I thought he was a big lose for the finals. I don’t think he played again for us. 

Edited by Earl Hood
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Hannan probably had his career best game and his best game since his debut. And I reckon he hurt his knee in his second ever game and has struggled with it at times since. Hannan has a heap of speed, ......

He has but didn't Sheppherd just waltz away from him while bouncing the ball. He's super quick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Re Warren Dean didn’t we loose him just prior to the 87 final series with a career ending knee injury. He tried to come back but the knee kept swelling up. My vague memory was of a very dynamic and rangy half forward who was mobile with good hands and could kick the ball a mile. I thought he was a big lose for the finals. I don’t think he played again for us. 

Degenerative issues. Yep, never played again. A real loss, I loved watching him play....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rjay said:

Viney?

I knew I was forgetting someone. 2015 round 1 Viney monsters Ablett and Vanders adds some punch to the forward line. We started to look like a footy team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

He has but didn't Sheppherd just waltz away from him while bouncing the ball. He's super quick!

That's fair. Hannan made ground then lunged for the tackle. Definitely think there's work to be done on his running technique. Also still think he's got a lot of potential as a wingman. Hoping he gets a full preseason this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jackaub said:

He wasnt in because the coach is dumb and stubborn. An absolute travesty .Thank god he woke up. Such a bad bad decision by Goodwin yet to be explained by any one near to the club.

Baby done a bad bad thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kent, Vandenberg and Hannan. Could moonlight as a solicitors firm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DV8 said:

No.  Frosty got another chance,,, after he started to use the ball differently, better, more creatively.

Yes. And after he spent time at Casey being coached to do so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×