• Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview

Sign in to follow this  
Big Carl

79 years since Melbourne, Collingwood and Richmond played in a finals series

1939 was the last year that Melbourne, Richmond and Collingwood played together in a finals series. Hard to believe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 2

7 minutes ago, Big Carl said:

1939 was the last year that Melbourne, Richmond and Collingwood played together in a finals series. Hard to believe.

That is amazing.

Incredible. And there is even a possibility that all three could play eachother!

Richmond (1st) deafeats Collingwood (4th)

Melbourne defeats Collingwood in the Semi, and finds their way to the Grand Final against Richmond.

It would be like the finals were turned into a commemorative special event in honour of the MCG.

What's even more incredible is that there is a big chance one of them is a runner up to us as we win the flag.

• Haha 1

Oh the team played fine back in thirty nine

• Like 1
  • Love 1

And who were premiers in '39, '40 and '41? 😀

My two brothers go for Richmond and Collingwood respectively. I texted this stat and said I’d say “may the best team wim”, except I’d prefer Melbourne won, not Richmond.

12 minutes ago, bush demon said:

I think it was in 1940 Melbourne had apoliceman tagging Jack Dyer.

The only time Jack Dyer was suspended was when my grandfather, a goal umpire, reported him.  Quite proud of that. 

• Like 1

AFL house will be like some “Manor” in Romsey this morning. Jolly good floggings all over the place, the AFL would mandate 2 of 3 of Dons, Tigs or Pies are to play finals every season if they could.

Add in 1 Cinderella bottom feeder team like Saints, Dees, North or Dogs.

Stir with GWS and at least 1 team from each other state and you have jolly good floggings at AFL house..

First time since Pies and Hawks officially joining Demons (No.1 tenant) and Tigers in 2000 as primary tenants of the ‘G’ that all four tenants have made the finals in the same year. 

Time to kick them curbside.

10 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

First time since Pies and Hawks officially joining Demons (No.1 tenant) and Tigers in 2000 as primary tenants of the ‘G’ that all four tenants have made the finals in the same year. 

Time to kick them curbside.

Are we a tenant club? I was always under the impression that we were a home club and I think this was confirmed when we were accepted as a sporting section of the MCC again .. I believe all others are tenant 

• Like 3