Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 22

Demonland

1 minute ago, Dappa Dan said:

Pretty sure he wouldn't have heard you. lol

They play the game hard those guys, and they're not snipers, even with the Gaff thing. I'm not sure Lecras wanted to go on with it once the song was playing either. From what I could see he was trying to ease the situation off. Certainly a lot of his team mates, even rookies like Venables were trying to congratulate Jonesy instead of pushing and shoving. I reckon that's great. It was one of the games of the year, as everyone's saying, even without the context. You'd be shattered to lose, but you'd not have lost any pride.

Just don’t want to become like the footy fans I despise!

Glad they all got off in one piece.

It's great to get that monkey off our backs. I'm hoping this now releases the mental shackles and allows us to really attack GWS and Week 1 of the finals.

We tried our best to throw it all away again though. However, I thought Gawn was outstanding. He's not necessarily dominating in the hit outs every stoppage, but his influence around the ground has been better in the last fortnight or so, than it's been for the entire year IMO. 

Jake Melksham was also vital as usual and our ball movement looked really dangerous and crisp. The Eagles allowed us to play it this way, which is interesting. I think Goodwin outcoached Simpson this week. We knew exactly how to beat them, executed and the Eagles had no answers - particularly, after Darling went down. 

Jones is a big worry for mine though. The opposition sag off him on the outside, because they know he's not damaging and then he's too slow on the inside.

When Brayshaw improves his defensive running (which is almost non existent and at times costly), he will become the leader that we lack to support Max and Clarry in the middle. He has a knack of kicking clutch goals. Getting Viney back in this side, alongside Oliver, Gus and Harmes, and we will be very hard to stop. 

I think a lot of today seemed to be mental though. They had Kennedy, Gaff, NikNat and then Darling out - probably 4 of their 5 best players - yet we almost let them kick over 100 points. Now that we've made finals, I think the psychology of this will really enable us to take that next step.

Meanwhile, Nev Jetta, take a bow. He's struggled in the second half of the year, but he was superb today. A real leader's game.

Other highlights were Harmes' continued improvement (I'm loving that - completely unexpected - he's becoming a very good footballer) and Salem's poise was important all the way through the game. He's such a good decision maker and executor.

Unfortunately though, ANB can still not handle the pressure of a hot footy. This is worrying. But, at least he was cleaner on the outside.

I'm in Perth next week for business so I'll miss my first game in Victoria for many years. It's disappointing, because I reckon we could pinch it next week.

Edited by A F
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Who needs Hogan anyway......haha

What a fight....that was a final.....and we even

beat someone in the 8!

oh yeah....i almost forgot......BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I know this was in jest, but it's an interesting point. I'm not saying Jesse isn't in our top 5-10 players, he's a star IMO, but... does anyone know what our record is without him in the last two seasons?

In a way, having him out makes us more unpredictable, particularly with Melksham in the side, who is great 1v1, quick and a beautiful kick.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, A F said:

I know this was in jest, but it's an interesting point. I'm not saying Jesse isn't in our top 5-10 players, he's a star IMO, but... does anyone know what our record is without him in the last two seasons?

In a way, having him out makes us more unpredictable, particularly with Melksham in the side, who is great 1v1, quick and a beautiful kick.

Yes i was alluding to that a bit AF, but hes had a pretty good year before he was injured....and hes been injured since the break i reckon. I dont think he played there last year when we won......

• Like 1

This win has more than one positive to it.

Not only did we book a finals berth, but i reckon it will also have a couple of blokes who are looking to change clubs reconsidering the payday they have been offered by other teams, V's the now obvious prospect of genuine, continued success if they sign with us for less coin.

I have no inside info, but it must surely make players think twice before accepting bigger offers at clubs seemingly going nowhere in the short term.

I am so pumped for the players, staff and supporters that we have made that next step. 

GO DEES !!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A F said:

It's a concern. But very much more deserving of a finger point at the coaches. Jesse was in every media pundits AA side at mid year. Foot injury happened and now everyone's off him. He produces a ridiculous amount of work for us when fit (and sometimes when unfit). We'd have won by 5 goals with him today.

• Like 3

I gotta say it’s incredibly entertaining reading all the salty WC fans complaining about the umpires. Do they seriously not know how much the umpires usually favour them in Perth? It’s about time they actually experienced a contest where the umpires were even with their decisions. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Pates said:

I gotta say it’s incredibly entertaining reading all the salty WC fans complaining about the umpires. Do they seriously not know how much the umpires usually favour them in Perth? It’s about time they actually experienced a contest where the umpires were even with their decisions. 

Just taking a leisurely stroll through bigfooty (I don't recommend it), and many impartials claim Eagles got the rub of the green... presumably with the Avb free and a few non calls.

I thought we got some help. But it's maybe the third time this year. Umpires have crucified us. Certainly lost one more game (and a shot at top 4) because of them. Probably a couple more if I look closer.

• Like 2

As a demons supporter there's only one player more legendary than Ronald Dale. And he was the central figure in the 1987 final round success that saw us get in and usher in a brief period of success.

This isn't THAT. Obviously Jones had a couple of finals early in his career and has had a long wait.

But it's not too far off it. This will be one of the most legendary days in recent MFC history. That's why it feels like some sort of dream. We're always looking to the NEXT thing, but only a handful of times every decade you get to sit and just soak it in.

What a day to be a demon.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

It's a concern. But very much more deserving of a finger point at the coaches. Jesse was in every media pundits AA side at mid year. Foot injury happened and now everyone's off him. He produces a ridiculous amount of work for us when fit (and sometimes when unfit). We'd have won by 5 goals with him today.

We will never know if that’s the case. He makes us a better side in terms of quality out on the field but we do become predictable with him in our team and he had a terrible record against better sides. Now some of this is down to the midfield not lowering their eyes to hit him up and instead bombing it in, but he also has a habit of just calling for it out the back rather than leading straight. 

He has the potential to be one of the best forwards in the game but with him we seem to stop lowering the eyes and have more of a “bomb it to Hogan” mindset. Our current forward line means we stop looking for one player and instead look for the best option. 

18 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Just taking a leisurely stroll through bigfooty (I don't recommend it), and many impartials claim Eagles got the rub of the green... presumably with the Avb free and a few non calls.

I thought we got some help. But it's maybe the third time this year. Umpires have crucified us. Certainly lost one more game (and a shot at top 4) because of them. Probably a couple more if I look closer.

Gee Bigfooty, you’re game! 

I thought we did too overall, maybe a couple of key ones went their way.

10 minutes ago, Pates said:

We will never know if that’s the case. He makes us a better side in terms of quality out on the field but we do become predictable with him in our team and he had a terrible record against better sides. Now some of this is down to the midfield not lowering their eyes to hit him up and instead bombing it in, but he also has a habit of just calling for it out the back rather than leading straight. 

If we're going to play the "we would have... " game (I know, I know, I started it) we can argue that he hasn't led at, jumped at or attacked a ball in the same way after mid season as he normally would have. Many of your complaints you raise certainly weren't even a suggestion in his first few seasons, and weren't at all when he was up and flying early this year. I'm looking for a fit Hogan with two legs operating properly. He would scare the pants off any side.

And this idea that we're less predictable is always the thing footy lovers say after a change in personnel. Give it a few weeks and we'll see how predictable we become with a stay-at-home FF in Weed and a far-roaming TMac and not much else in tall stocks. It's so easy to game plan against a side that has a settled team. And almost impossible to gameplan against a side with 5 critical ins that utterly change their structure. Even moreso a team who's never played on the ground you're playing them on.

But yes, for now, and into the last few weeks Weed has to play every game even if he struggles, and he's the correct in under the circumstances. I just can feel a "play Weed over Hogan" conversation coming on, and you know how those bug me. 

1 hour ago, Dappa Dan said:

But yes, for now, and into the last few weeks Weed has to play every game even if he struggles, and he's the correct in under the circumstances. I just can feel a "play Weed over Hogan" conversation coming on, and you know how those bug me. 

Haha yes those sort of conversations are predictable after a win like this, Weed and Hogan play different games. Weed seems more of a traditional tall forward, leaping hard at the ball and clunking marks (hopefully more regularly) with a long reach, whereas Hogan is more mobile and at times racks up midfield numbers. 

I suspect in the second half of the year Hogan's been playing with an injury of some sorts. I really felt like he should've been rested vs Fremantle or GC, not saying that would've made a difference with his eventual season ending foot injury, but he didn't look right.

Without trying to sound wanky, Hogan is on a journey and is still only part the way towards becoming the player he's going to be. Watching the team play finals will be make him hungry for next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pates said:

Haha yes those sort of conversations are predictable after a win like this, Weed and Hogan play different games. Weed seems more of a traditional tall forward, leaping hard at the ball and clunking marks (hopefully more regularly) with a long reach, whereas Hogan is more mobile and at times racks up midfield numbers. 

I suspect in the second half of the year Hogan's been playing with an injury of some sorts. I really felt like he should've been rested vs Fremantle or GC, not saying that would've made a difference with his eventual season ending foot injury, but he didn't look right.

Without trying to sound wanky, Hogan is on a journey and is still only part the way towards becoming the player he's going to be. Watching the team play finals will be make him hungry for next year.

Since the bye, by my count, he was hindered pretty badly. I watch him closer than many as he's my key player in every form of fantasy footy I play. Interestingly, in that time he's had three games where he went over 100 in supercoach. Weak oppo, of course, but still.

Yeah, perhaps he is on a journey to a better destination. I dunno though. If we get what he's producing now for his whole career, can we complain? Was in the top half dozen in the Coleman for most of the year. I think he's second or third in marks for Forwards (many on the list are waxing defenders like Howe)... He's putting up some gaudy numbers. And the thing is he's done it from his first game through to now. 2015 = 44 goals, 2016 = 41 goals, 2017 = 20 (from only 10 games) and 2018 = 47. He's been a gun literally from his first game through to now. He didn't take 3 seasons and 15 games to have a positive impact on a contest like Weed. He's had far more good games than bad. I feel like if his journey's destination is where he is now, I'm fine with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ding said:

Not only did we book a finals berth, but i reckon it will also have a couple of blokes who are looking to change clubs reconsidering the payday they have been offered by other teams, V's the now obvious prospect of genuine, continued success if they sign with us for less coin.

Agree, was a bit worried about the flip side as well if we had faltered at the line, perception is a big thing. It may be fugazi but it has a documented effect.

• Like 2

Last night I had the strangest dream. I dreamt we beat West Coast in the West And we were in the finals. No, wait, it’s true! Still hard to believe after 12 years.

My brother came around after the game. We had a BIG brother-sister hug (about 3 minutes.) I swear he was crying and he’s not a cryer. Then we sat for an hour going over the match and how hard it’s been for so long. Haven’t seen him this happy since his son was born. This is what we deserved after over 40,000 fans signed up. Finally reaping the rewards

• Like 12
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Pates said:

They won the free kick count 18-14

• Haha 2

FINALLY after 12 long years of disappointment, frustration and a number of false dawns we have FINALLY made finals. 

Must admit I thought we would lose today and miss the finals all together but I am very happy that my gut feel was wrong.  

Well done boys and hopefully we make the most of it as we all know it’s been a long time between drinks. 

Now that I'm a little more coherent than I might have been last night (I had a few adult beverages but can go out for a run and go to work), it's time to reflect.

Lessons were learned. That was the most gratifying thing from yesterday.

We played on at every opportunity, but 'opportunity' was the operative word. we knew when it was time to kick down the line and when it was time to not take the running option. Admittedly, those times weren't for the bulk of the game but the fact that they were a feature of our play was a sign of increasing maturity.

How much we missed Melksham was clear yesterday. Clean ball delivery going forward was clearly an issue against the Swans and he bought it in spades. Teamed up with AVB, they make a good pair of small forward playmakers. This is a structure we should look to maintain next year even with Jesse back. We look much more fluid going forward with those two in.

How about those Eagle supporters? It's rare I have ever seen a game where every quarter is followed by raucous booing. You would have thought the umpires were calling John the Indian bookmaker mid match given their reactions.

Anyway, while a win going into September would help, I look forward to next week as the drought is over. Since we last played finals, I've lived in 3 countries, finished a Masters degree, gotten married and had 5 different jobs.

As Chris Jericho might say 'Drink it in, maaaan...'

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert