Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Wallace Calls Out Goody

Demonland

This is what I don't understand. We aren't asking for perfection or wins and awesome performances every time. We are asking for a level of commitment that is required to become a finals team that will hopefully go on to contend for top honours. 

I get all the cliches. I know its a two team sport and you can't win them all, I know the players probably do care and I know that its hard to play footy etc but for crying out loud we've had 8 stabs against top 9 sides and blown them all. All I would have liked was to win 2 of them, 20%! But you get made to feel like you're asking for too much by the numpties that are happy to be bottom feeders for the rest of their life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, layzie said:

This is what I don't understand. We aren't asking for perfection or wins and awesome performances every time. We are asking for a level of commitment that is required to become a finals team that will hopefully go on to contend for top honours. 

I get all the cliches. I know its a two team sport and you can't win them all, I know the players probably do care and I know that its hard to play footy etc but for crying out loud we've had 8 stabs against top 9 sides and blown them all. All I would have liked was to win 2 of them, 20%! But you get made to feel like you're asking for too much by the numpties that are happy to be bottom feeders for the rest of their life.

Too right mate. We have a lot of supporters who are happy to just win a few games. 

Competing in finals is just far too stressful. 

Years ago i worked with a girl who was genuinely upset that we made the finals in ‘87, i was shocked, but she was serious. 

We have been down for so long, it’s the norm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Too right mate. We have a lot of supporters who are happy to just win a few games. 

Competing in finals is just far too stressful. 

Years ago i worked with a girl who was genuinely upset that we made the finals in ‘87, i was shocked, but she was serious. 

We have been down for so long, it’s the norm

Geez now I've heard everything! I respect people who don't make winning everything but to take it to a point where you don't even like competition like that girl is bizarre!

1 minute ago, layzie said:

Geez now I've heard everything! I respect people who don't make winning everything but to take it to a point where you don't even like competition like that girl is bizarre!

She loved the Demons, but was quite happy with 22 games. 

This is part (a small part) of our culture that does hold us back. 

Goody has to go all out this weekend for a win. Be bold and on the front foot and not so process and structure driven. 

It is very like 1998 against Freo, over there. 

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Goody has to go all out this weekend for a win. Be bold and on the front foot and not so process and structure driven. 

We need to be desperate. The culture has been what it has been and its up to these guys to create their own new culture. It can absolutely happen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

We need to be desperate. The culture has been what it has been and its up to these guys to create their own new culture. It can absolutely happen.

Sure, it all depends on how much they want to be desperate when the pressure is thrown at them. 

Do we punch it straight back...??

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

Actually, the team we're putting on the park is quite a bit younger than Hawthorn's.

But heh, facts.

Fact is you just don't get it.  If you are going to be a smart alec, at least get it right.

Getting rid of Mitchell, Lewis & Hodge, made Hawthorn younger and quicker?  Yes or No?

Adding Lewis to Melbourne made us slower and older?  Yes or No?

Don't waste my time.  Your eyes and ears are  obviously painted on.

1 hour ago, rjay said:

Not really 'TGR'...

Succesful club, probably the greatest coach in modern times. Nothing ironic.

As for moving players on and us taking Lewis. He didn't empty them all out, they still have plenty of experience to draw on.

We had no Premiership experience on our list, adding one was a good move I would have thought.

How long he holds his spot and the length of his contract is another matter but I don't think you could argue the merits of bringing him into the club.

How much premiership experience did the Bulldogs have?  Don't recall Richmond needing it too much either.

Clarkson and Wright had the guts to experience a little short-term pain by getting rid of slowing veterans.  The gain has come quick for them, and they deserve it.

15 minutes ago, TGR said:

How much premiership experience did the Bulldogs have?  Don't recall Richmond needing it too much either.

Clarkson and Wright had the guts to experience a little short-term pain by getting rid of slowing veterans.  The gain has come quick for them, and they deserve it.

They both had a solid core of experienced players though. We didn't...

I can understand why we added Lewis and think it was a good move.

Having said that I think the end is pretty much near for him now, can't see much value in him playing on past this season.

• Like 2

Dawks have the power to get the Burgones, Gibsons, Frawleys, Mitchells and Omearas nominating them as their club of choice.
We have to settle for the retirement plans of Dawes, Clarkes, Black Princes,  Vinces and Lewis.
Even now they reckon Clarkson is chasing Gold Coasts Lynch ...... Very hard.
Watch this space.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Dawks have the power to get the Burgones, Gibsons, Frawleys, Mitchells and Omearas nominating them as their club of choice.
We have to settle for the retirement plans of Dawes, Clarkes, Black Princes,  Vinces and Lewis.
Watch this space.

That is the reality 

since the drafting of Franklin (RIP Aretha) and Roughead Whorethorn have mostly topped up each year

2 hours ago, TGR said:

Ironic the Clarko has Hawthorn playing finals in 2018.  What a genius showing MItchell, Lewis and Hodge the exit door.  He made them quicker and younger before their time.

On the flip side, we went the other way.

When you can bring in players like Mitchell and O’Mera things tend to look better.. we could only get Vince and Lewis.

Posters bag North but we’re in the same basket, not a destination club (until Lever signing hopefully).

Would love to know what you would have done differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

So 1 person from the 80’s? Punishing story.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Watch this space.

Facts man!!! Don’t let the facts distort the “truth”, are your eyes and ears painted on? Are your fingers glued on and your legs drilled in?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

So 1 person from the 80’s? Punishing story.

Just one example, but not the only one. 

People on here in the last couple of weeks have written that missing finals isn’t that bad considering our % is up to 130

it’s just sad that any Supporters feel this way

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Just one example, but not the only one. 

People on here in the last couple of weeks have written that missing finals isn’t that bad considering our % is up to 130

it’s just sad that any Supporters feel this way

It excites me that with two games left we might not play finals with a percentage over 130%. Other fans may laugh at us while we are busy counting our millions. Ive got my mind on my money and my money on my mind, ive got no oaoer in the trash yikety yack dont go back. 

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, chookrat said:

It excites me that with two games left we might not play finals with a percentage over 130%. Other fans may laugh at us while we are busy counting our millions. Ive got my mind on my money and my money on my mind, ive got no oaoer in the trash yikety yack dont go back. 

If we miss finals with a percentage of 130, we'll all be talking like that, permanently

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, layzie said:

well for gods sake  @layzievjudging on that first sentence - you get the reality of sport...but then you go on as if you don't.. If you understand that teams can show desire, commitment and still lose a match (and it seems there is no right way to lose, as there is always mental weakness as a byproduct for some)...then what is to be genuinely dissatisfied about.

Aside from 1 match - we've been up to our necks in all matches... isn't that the 'level of commitment' you're after.

People keep confusing losses for a lack of endeavour or care.... from both, players and the fd.

Edited by Danelska
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TGR said:

Fact is you just don't get it.  If you are going to be a smart alec, at least get it right.

Getting rid of Mitchell, Lewis & Hodge, made Hawthorn younger and quicker?  Yes or No?

Adding Lewis to Melbourne made us slower and older?  Yes or No?

Don't waste my time.  Your eyes and ears are  obviously painted on.

Return key stuck?

23 hours ago, rjay said:

When we get all this noise from the experts and the experts on here I always remember what Blight said at the start of the season.

Looks like he was pretty right to me.

It's relevant to the discussion on Goody, the players and their mental weaknesses as some like to call.

It's all "fugazi"...

Too many pushed expectations too soon, we are so close but not quite there. We may well make finals but we're a way off yet and despite wanting us to be contenders we're just not ready.

I'm comfortable with where we're at, yes I would like to see us in the top 4 giving it a shake but key injuries along with the list profile made it highly unlikely.

This is why we're not quite there yet...I know many won't want to hear it.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/06/dees-will-struggle-to-make-the-eight-again-blight/

Well said Terry RIGHT ON THE MONEY!

3 hours ago, rjay said:

They both had a solid core of experienced players though. We didn't...

I can understand why we added Lewis and think it was a good move.

Having said that I think the end is pretty much near for him now, can't see much value in him playing on past this season.

I'm sure Rjay you were told when you were younger don't argue with an idiot.

Any chance to have a dig at Lewis he will take.

Eallace played in Hawks flags and so did Lewis, somewhere there is relevance to him in his posts

• Like 2

If Gawn kicks straight in round 1 and Tuohy misses a few weeks back, we're currently sitting 3rd and playing for 2nd spot on Sunday with everyone hailing Goodwin a genius. 2 kicks is the difference. A fine line but the media and general public aren't intelligent enough to understand the nuances.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, MSFebey said:

Interesting watching people's opinion change to now "I don't care if we dont make it." That's the soft underbelly attitude that has held this club back for decades. Show some ticker, be ruthless and don't accept mediocrity. This club should have made finals in 2017, we choked. They have just 2 games left to overcome this hurdle, the season has been frustrating and has this group "learnt from R23 last year.".

If we don't make finals this year it's a massive failure as we would not have taken a scalp, not even a half decent scalp let alone a big scalp. No finals and there is massive pressure on Goodwin entering his last year, which is a problem we don't want or need. Win next 2 and confidence will be up, then sky is the limit.

I have the faith we can go all the way, anyone that doesnt is just making up excuses for them. I agree with Dunstall/Wallace, Goodwin needs to stop the spin and start delivering, stop being stubborn and create his own opportunities by changing things up during game time. I was always shaky v a rebounding underdog Sydney but am very confident we will beat WCE. Go Dees.

I both agree and disagree with you. If we miss finals again I will be filthy, I will think it's a missed opportunity in a year of ordinary sides and the monkey will be on the back all next year until we actually get over that hurdle. The experience of making finals and getting past that mental hurdle would be invaluable otherwise we'll spend all next year with the question being asked when it can't be answered until August at the earliest.

But if we don't make finals I'll also recognise that we were bloody unlucky in a lot of close games, that we do still have a team where our core players are all still very young and we have a coach willing to back the side in and play aggressive attacking footy. Importantly I'll still have faith that in the long term I think we are in good hands list wise and senior coach wise. Our assistants might need a shakeup but I think we're still on the right path to success.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 6