Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Well said Steve.  The way in which we use our forward entries is not conducive to someone like Jesse who prefers it on the lead or one out deep in the forward line where he can use his strength.  Kicking it to him when there are 6 other blokes around doesn't exactly give him a chance to play to his strengths.

Unfortunately it's a by-product of the 'forward half game' and repeat entries mentality our game plan is built around. I like the theory of generating additional opportunities to score but it's just not working against strong defensive opponents (top teams). I can understand when Goody talks about "lacking connection" but that's the catch 22 he's created and having to deal with.

No wonder Hogan takes off up the ground.

31 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Is there a time table for this ?

To me the essence of all of this is will Hogan ever consistently be ...not injured...in form...in right mindspace...is ...fulfilling the potential/idea-of-player-people-think-he-is as opposed now.

I'm more concerned...impressed that...he can hit the side of a barn against decent opposition....than split the flags on a slalom run.

Kid lost his dad to cancer last year and had his own cancer battle, still managed to get on the park and kick 20 goals. Big tick in my book

And if your coach keeps playing him injured that isn't his fault. It amazes me how everyone is always quick to blame hogan but not one person has mention Jeff Garlett didn't lay a single tackle yesterday.

• Like 1

Love the way that Wiseblood and others have defended Jesse and as to it being a bulls..t thread as was suggested by one, the fact that we are all reading it and so many of us are replying shows that it is now the most interesting discussion for fans.

It's a bit like Jack Watts of 2013-17 - after so many underacheiving games, it all starts turning on the big name, big pay players - as it rightly should. Please don't make the mistake that I am suggesting Jesse is not capable of being physical - he clearly is unlike Wattsy -  but Jesse has been granted the most pivotal spot in the side and finds himself being surpassed by a meat and potatoes hard worker in T-Mac, who has shown that if you fight for every contest, things can happen. 

For me, in Jesse's case it has nothing to do with his ability - we all know he has a leap, we all know he can run, we all know he can baulk and pivot as well as any big guy in the league. What we don't know (and even the club may not know) is what he gets up to at night - is he partying too hard, is he drinking too much, is he professional - because nowadays only the players that work their butt off both on and off the field are successful in the long-term. I've heard rumours of poor antics and I've heard reports from daughters at nightclubs, so I know he enjoys that scene perhaps more than he should - he's 23 now, he's not a kid. Will he mature like Dusty? Is he capable of maturing like Dusty and walking the fine line between loveable rogue and meathead?

Jesse is the most natural footballer we've had since Allen Jakovich - yet interestingly Jakovich made a beeline for Clayton Oliver this weekend and rates him his favourite player of today. Jesse has one of the best natural running tanks I've seen - those of you who watch training reps will know how easy he does it. Yet he also does it as a part-time (maybe fulltime I don't know) smoker.

As others have stated Jesse has flaws in his kicking - why haven't these been corrected yet. Why is he one of the few bigname forwards that rarely has a shot from 45-60m out. Why does he hold it like a left-footer. Why does he still stutter and we saw with his shot from 35m yesterday that he was stuttering even more than normal under the pressure of it all.

If you peel back the layers of Jesse, I suspect you will find he's struggling with life in the fastlane of AFL football and is a bit of a Nick Kyrgios - happy to act cool and disinterested when beaten rather than show that he's working his butt off to fix things.

Now he has an excuse, a foot injury, and his omission may actually help us, not hinder us.

Part of that is because Weid has been getting better and better at VFL level and looks almost like a midfielder at training, such is his confidence dishing it off. Whilst I am not totally confident that he will be able to turn it on just yet, I am confident he will be able to match or possibly even surpass what Jesse has done for us in the big games this season.

And if he does show signs, then maybe the title of this thread is bang on the money after all - trade Hogan!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Crompton said:

I think its our delivery that's the problem, whether be mids, forwards or backs. Hogan appears to have no confidence in that delivery, so he hesitates. Put Hogan at the Tigers, West Coast, the Cats or Giants - teams that can hit a target - and he'd be a superstar. 

That is my point, NC.  I agree with what you say Re midfield.

We have to be able to give something to get something.  We are just not good enough thru midfield, Re delivering the ball, so we can use it.

We can wait forever and a day for the less skilled players to learn to better their skills,,, but I don't think this is an option.

We have to become hunters again and get on the chase.

We will be battling against the Hawks, Blues, Bombers, and to a lesser extent the Pies for this type player, (oh, Roos as well).

It will costas... we will need room in salary cap, and we will need picks most likely.

What we do have are 2 players with value, that we can cover.

What we don't have, is what we lack.   Class with Poise, ball users.

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

What a humorous thread.

Our delivery inside 50 continues to be horrendous and people are wanting to trade a key forward because of it. 

The kid is carrying an injury which is probably why his kicking has gone off, but to talk of trade is ludicrous 

Jones goes first in my book. He is done. 

Father time is at the door ? 

you miss the point altogether. again and again.

1 hour ago, DeeZee said:

Hogan hasn’t turned out to be the great full forward we all hoped he would be.

DZ, he was always playing as a mobile tall forward, in the juniors, that I recall anyway.   From the early vision of him.

He is a very good player, playing out of position.  But TMc has the spot suited to Jesse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DV8 said:

That is my point, NC.  I agree with what you say Re midfield.

We have to be able to give something to get something.  We are just not good enough thru midfield, Re delivering the ball, so we can use it.

We can wait forever and a day for the less skilled players to learn to better their skills,,, but I don't think this is an option.

We have to become hunters again and get on the chase.

We will be battling against the Hawks, Blues, Bombers, and to a lesser extent the Pies for this type player, (oh, Roos as well).

It will costas... we will need room in salary cap, and we will need picks most likely.

What we do have are 2 players with value, that we can cover.

What we don't have, is what we lack.   Class with Poise, ball users.

DV8, there is no way i'd trade Hogan to get better midfielders! That's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And i never once said we are not good enough through our midfield! I said our disposal - from all parts of the ground - is poor, causing Hogan to have little confidence in leading. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

For God sake stop writing the same reply over and over again

WE HAVE ALL F$&@ING READ IT

then don't read it swyl,,,,  because most are saying that very same thing.

If you don't like it, then stay off the thread because most are saying the same things,,,, depending on what side of the fence they're on.

So, Off you go, back to asia, sun-lounges, and a drink.

1 minute ago, DV8 said:

then don't read it swyl,,,,  because most are saying that very same thing.

If you don't like it, then stay off the thread because most are saying the same things,,,, depending on what side of the fence they're on.

So, Off you go, back to asia, sun-lounges, and a drink.

“Most people are saying the same thing”

so stop talking to yourself or at least just email your ramblings back to yourself. 

Just now, Neil Crompton said:

DV8, there is no way i'd trade Hogan to get better midfielders! That's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And i never once said we are not good enough through our midfield! I said our disposal - from all parts of the ground - is poor, causing Hogan to have little confidence in leading. 

I think we know, we lack the poised skilled players with some speed, to put thru there.  Hopefully Stretch will turn out to be one of them.

If your aware of others we have, please let me know, as I don't know of them yet.

Our backs are decent, when Hibbo is in,  but Hibbo & Jetta are near on 29yrs, already...

Only Fritta I think comes close to the call atmo, for the centreline.

4 minutes ago, DV8 said:

that's your problem swyl, your wide awake.  back on the bottle ol boy.

YOU are the only person on this forum who QUOTES THEMSELVES and then writes another essay on a topic that you have already covered 15 times already. 

It becomes very tiresome.....

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

YOU are the only person on this forum who QUOTES THEMSELVES and then writes another essay on a topic that you have already covered 15 times already. 

It becomes very tiresome.....

sshhh, go back to sleep swyl, back on your bottle lil fella.

3 hours ago, DV8 said:

He holds the ball, and his run-up,,,,,   is for a LEFT Footer.

Why hasn't anyone listened to my post years back,,,, and taught him to kick with the left boot ????

How do you listen to a post? Hehe.

He holds the ball in a way to suit his left boot, kind of; but his run up, as silly as it looks, is for his right boot. 

2 minutes ago, red&blue1982 said:

How do you listen to a post? Hehe.

He holds the ball in a way to suit his left boot, kind of; but his run up, as silly as it looks, is for his right boot. 

I have stated this before Hoges is left handed but right footed and that is why the weird ball drop. As a right handed left footer I can attest to the difficulty using you non dominant hand to drop the ball on your foot. Nick Riewoldt was the same and early in his career he had similar problems kicking for goal, but he got better with experience. 

I found that I could become pretty good on my right foot because I could control the ball drop better and maybe Hogan can kick in play on his left. He is a pretty good kick in field play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Older demon said:

I have stated this before Hoges is left handed but right footed and that is why the weird ball drop. As a right handed left footer I can attest to the difficulty using you non dominant hand to drop the ball on your foot. Nick Riewoldt was the same and early in his career he had similar problems kicking for goal, but he got better with experience. 

I found that I could become pretty good on my right foot because I could control the ball drop better and maybe Hogan can kick in play on his left. He is a pretty good kick in field play.

I surprised to hear his left handed. I recall him favouring his right hand when handballing. It makes more sense of his unusual hand position when dropping the ball.

25 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Isn't that Petracca that is left handed? Even bounces the ball left handed. Not sure about Hogan though.