Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 21

Demonland

8 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

We had a chance to win the game but let’s not get fooled by the last quarter. Swans were hanging on for dear life with 2 less men.....and to allow Heeney to camp in the goalsquare for the entire term on his own is astounding. We didn’t send one player to at least stand next to him and impede him at all. 

Couldn’t believe that when the game was there to be won we didn’t play accountable on him. Ridiculous. 

Swans actually laid out opportunities for us and we simply didn’t take them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pates said:

Couldn’t believe that when the game was there to be won we didn’t play accountable on him. Ridiculous. 

Swans actually laid out opportunities for us and we simply didn’t take them. 

Coaching in these sorts of games has been shizen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DV8 said:

Exactly, we stuff up in  the area between 80Mtrs and 40Mtrs, from goal.

We get a rush of blood to the head, under pressure,,,, once we cross the centreline.

We are our own worst enemy here DV unfortunately.

The better clubs/coaches cover the middle of the field and close up on us if we get a bit if a lead.  They push us wide and more often than not .....we just bomb coming around the flanks.  By going wide and slow we allow them to set up their structures and send extra numbers to the hot zone, approx 20 to 30ish out from goal on a half circle shaped defense.

The way around this is to hit targets coming back inside as often as possible and not necessarily play on at all costs once you do so.  If it's on the arc and you can hit from outside 50 or hand it off to someone who can, go for it.  If not work it around the arc until someone opens up a short option on the inside.

We are simply too easily defended coming inside 50.  The better teams are just not concerned that much as they know all they have to do is play a basic structural D and kill the high bomb to the hot zone.   They also know we don't have speed to pressure them on the counter (Garlett!!??) and we continue to keep playing this lazy / crappy zone D / press (more often than not) that is in the main ineffectual as we have too many slow by foot players around the mid field such as Tyson, Jones and Lewis (on the press).

The opp then does the exact opposite to us and run it out hitting targets at will through the witches hats as they make their way up the field with relative ease under little pressure.  More often than not they are probably also looking to go through our sluggish match ups listed above to take advantage of the mis match on leg speed.

How the hec Goody allowed Tyson on one wing and Jones on the other for significant periods of the match is astounding.  We had no speed at all on the outside for far too long and it showed.  Very poor coaching move IMHO just on it's own.

I have been saying this since about Round 10 / 12.  Goody should have been running a heavily biased training session targeting "foot skills under pressure" (if he hasn't been....maybe he has as i haven't seen any of the sessions).  The boys need to work super hard on maintaining possession by foot across the entire field, including forward of center.

Any player that can't make the grade (hitting targets by foot under certain degrees of pressure under certain game conditions ie., using Champion data's kick / hit rating etc) in their given role / position or isn't able to improve in this aspect of their game given enough time, needs to be moved on in preference to players that can play a similar role but are significantly better at hitting targets.

Part of this possession focus also has to include a player's decision making under pressure and an ability to show that he isn't going to panic and crack under significant game day / opponent pressure and is able to make the right choices, more often than not.

Ignore those last two tweaks at your peril (and probably demise of the present list).  If we don't fix this aspect of our club i'm reasonably sure we will be looking at another rebuild in 3 to 5 years or so under a different coach.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jumbo returns said:

So........you can see it

The commentators saw it.....

The spectators all saw it......

Did the bloody coaching panel see it????

Ah NO!

Gawn seemed really down and looks to be struggling.

Begs the question why we would risk him against the Suns last week rather than give him a week off?

This football department make dumb mistake after dumb mistake. We should have a genuine second ruck who can come in for a week when we play one of the bottom sides! Everyone on here was screaming out for us to go after a mature ruckman, but the football department believe they should just run Maxy into the ground!

• Like 3

Oh and trade hogan? He's just starting to hit his straps and will only get better. Petracca needs to look at the best players in the comp, even look at brayshaw. He seems like the cocky proud sort of person and realize mostly all of these guys were the best among their peers ad juniors and only one way to be better than them,  is to work hard than them.

On the plus side how goid is oliver? Tagged hard today but still his handballs even under intense pressure are still always to the best option and has also started taking important marks around the ground.

I had harmes as a fringe player at the start of the year but wow, he has surprised me big. I thought he was just your clinton jones type high possession  poor disposal type player. But his disposal has improved so much.

Salem, even manages to hit targets with snaps out of the backline.

• Like 2

Capitulated to a club that was programmed to work us over. We need to learn how to deliver rather than fall to this crud.

Interestingly, when it all started to go pear-shaped (again), I was looking at which players showed composure, resilience or ffs something! 

1 - Hogan. Nope didn't see much. Probably carrying an injury or two but FFS, you had your chances.

2 - Jones. Just horrible. Tried to stand up in the last to undo three quarters of delivering straight to the Swans. I'm hoping he's carrying an injury (not literally) , otherwise there's no explanation other than just being past it.

3 - Salem - showed plenty of composure in my book, not to mention skill

4 - Harmes - Stood up big time BOG

5 - Petracca - Hit and miss on the composure front all year, but his latent gun status is enough for me

6 - Lewis - Plenty of composure when he had the ball. When he didn't, he went to ground like he was shot

9 - Spargo - Back yourself mate. You have the skills and composure. Don't be hand-balling off when it counts. Will be a gun but maybe running out of puff

10 - Brayshaw - Had the odd turnover, but competed hard all day and is a gun

11 - Gawn -  A little off today but managed to still tap to advantage. Unfortunately, the swans read this too and very well.

12 - Tyson - showed plenty of composure and was able to spot up targets away from the contest (when not plodding)

13 - Oliver - I thought he struggled a bit today (tag) but willed himself to produce in the last quarter. Was able to turn it around

17 - Frost - Gave his all and competed well against a legend

21 - Pedo - Asking a lot to expect him to save the day. Better composure later in the game.

22 - VDB - Showed composure later in the game, when it counted. Not sure pitching him against Alir was ever going to be fruitful and it showed.

24 - JKH - Not the worst. I thought there was more composure as the game went on. Showed a few nice tricks and a good work ethic apart from some costly mistakes.

25 - T-Mac - Stood up as the game went on. Not much composure when the ball hit the ground, but if he can mark and kick goals when it counts, who gives a flying

28 - O- Mac - Not expecting it, but with Frosty shouldering all the responsibility with Franklin, he seemed to show plenty of composure and has been hitting targets all year.

29 - Hunt - Not sure why selected. Missed most of the year with injury and rubbish form. Has plenty of dash but did, in no way justify selection.

30 - ANB - Been in red hot form the last few weeks but was just horrible today. I'm sure he covered a shitload of ground, but if all your efforts (except maybe 1) end in turnovers, then what's the effing point............. just sooo frustrating

31 - Fritsch - Composure personified

36 - Garlett - Has composure in spades but has devoted this year to NOT tackling. Come on Jeffy!

39 - Jetta - Jet. Indisputable 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

"So why are most of our players poor under pressure?

Coz we 

1 Draft wrong types who will give you the world when up but are shizen when pressure is on

2 We develop them into "The MFC Way".... Say no more!

Edited by picket fence

39 minutes ago, wheaters31 said:

Maybe this is a bit of a "old man" view, but, I don't think it was great preparation for our players to be at Jake Lever's engagement party on the night before a crunch game. The likes of Petracca, Jones Gawn and others were all there having a great time, whilst the Swans would've been minds on the job at their hotel, together, and preparing for the big game. No surprises all uploads from the party on instagram have now been deleted. 

Poor judgement to hold an engagement night before and invite team mates. Not taking footy seriously enough.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

I didn't watch the game today. I was playing golf. I don't know anything except that we were inaccurate. 

All I want to really know is ' which of our players is going to stand up and say" enough is enough !! I'm not putting up with this anymore. I'm going to pick this club up by the bootstraps and make a stand.' We can't keep rolling over like this, there must be someone who gives a flying f.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Umpire Please said:

What about F@@king Hogan four getable goals missed them all.

he could have won the game for us doing what he gets paid a lot of money to do , kick set shots from well with his distance. Lay off Jones, Hogan can only dream of being half as good a player for our club as Jones has been.

Can't argue with any of that.  When is this bloke going to stand up in a big game against a rated club??

That kicking action and run up, not to mention the method of how he positions his hands when running in for a set shot.  Pure madness.

Footy is a tough game and so easy to pot from the armchair, i get all that, especially in a big game.  But he's no longer a rookie!

I've seen enough of the great forwards to know that his set shot method/process is, more often than not, never going to hold up under big game pressure / spotlight.  It just has too many horrible flaws in it.  I've said it from his early days, fix the set shot kicking method and he could be anything.  Just keep doing the same and he will probably be a flawed potential genius for the rest of his career with the odd highlight game here and there.

If we can't help him fix it and show him the way here (with outside help if needed) then we have failed him (and ourselves) as a club.

• Like 4

I am too upset to type anything. It may go from ninthmond to ninthbourne. Didn’t think we would win this so maybe the puppydogs can do it next week when they are not expected to.

I love Jesse, but man the people who say he’s a downhill skier are starting to have some merit. Against GC he clunks everything, kicks beautifully. Against good teams he can never get off the chain, always looks injured etc a bit annoying 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Fritsch is wasted in the backline.

Not to mention it highlights his deficiencies, out bodied in multiple marking contests and also goes at the footy with One hand too often 

2 hours ago, Webber said:

And even if we make finals, it’s worth little, because quality teams know easily they can upset our apple cart mentally and tactically. We are horribly inadaptable defensively, have been all year, the good teams exploit it, and today happens. As a result, I couldn’t be more confident that we’ll roll over in the next two weeks. 

That's a twist ending. How about: we'll go down to WCE, other results will make it impossible for us to make the finals, then we'll beat GWS by 15 goals.

10 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Can't argue with any of that.  When is this bloke going to stand up in a big game against a rated club??

That kicking action and run up, not to mention the method of how he positions his hands when running in for a set shot.  Pure madness.

Footy is a tough game and so easy to pot from the armchair, i get all that, especially in a big game.  But he's no longer a rookie!

I've seen enough of the great forwards to know that his set shot method/process is, more often than not, never going to hold up under big game pressure / spotlight.  It just has too many horrible flaws in it.  I've said it from his early days, fix the set shot kicking method and he could be anything.  Just keep doing the same and he will probably be a flawed potential genius for the rest of his career with the odd highlight game here and there.

If we can't help him fix it and show him the way here (with outside help if needed) then we have failed him (and ourselves) as a club.

Totally agree.

Who’s teaching him this ridiculous run up sideways and skipping?

He’s a boy. 

Get a man who has done it properly to teach him.

• Like 3

Oh that’s great to hear they went to Jake Lever’s engagement party. Did they have a good time? I would hate anything to get in the way of them having a good time!

They should have gone to the AFLPA to get out of that commitment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

Hogan does not have any long future with us.  its time.

It all revolves around that.  Footy changes quickly. TMc has made Jesse expendable.

We need to be able to afford other player types, we're lacking in.

Tyson is one who may help us get in other players.

Hogan is the other.

We don't have 8 yrs to wait DD...    the time is now, Re Hoges and Tyson.

Garbage. No sign anywhere that Jesse is on the move. It's not time. You and about 5 other crackpots are calling for his trade. TMac hasn't made anyone expendable. We're the top attack in the league. We're not trading our best forward.

We don't need to trade Jesse to afford other players. You're making more stuff up.

Tyson isn't worth even a second rounder. You've lost your mind.

Of course the time is now. Hence why we keep quality AA forwards at MFC instead of trading them to other clubs and playing NQRs.

See you in 8 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

If Clarkson was our coach this year, we’d win the flag. Not even joking. 

The Scott bros cop a lot on here (deservedly).

But imagine what they would be able to extract from the talent on this list. Their teams fight and fight and fight. Ours runs to the AFLPA behind the club's back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

The Scott bros cop a lot on here (deservedly).

But imagine what they would be able to extract from the talent on this list. Their teams fight and fight and fight. Ours runs to the AFLPA behind the club's back.

I hate both of them but 100% agree with you

• Like 1