Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Sydney



pitmaster

Melbourne and Matthews

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

mathews was quizzed on 3aw for quite some time on the mcmullin article in the age

fwiw (not much actually) matthews denied bruns had ever contacted him for a meeting and he also claimed he couldn't recall the mcmullins incident saying it was 44 years ago.................hmmmmmmmmmm

Probably couldn’t recall the McMullin one because he lost count of those he biffed.

Mongrel. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the ex-footballer media personality without sin be the one to cast the first stone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

He has faced up to it.  How often do you want him to ?

I'll take your word for it that he told Sheahan what you say, unless it was said in a joking fashion, but it changes nothing for me.

He wouldn't accurately be able to align every frigging headache with an incident from decades ago.  

And even if he could, so what ?  The incident is what it is.  

It wasn’t said in a joking matter.....

 

So what, is your attitude...

speaks volumes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I expect him to face up to what HE did, whether it was yesterday or 45 years ago. 

You doubt he told Mike Sheahan that during his “Open Mike” episode, wtf does that mean when i have watched the episode more than once

You are wrong. Sheahan asked him about the direct incident and Smith gave a very detailed account. 

Google is your friend...

All of us on Demonland ought to know better than to argue any point with ProDee. He has risen even further in my estimation in his steadfast defence of a man who regularly assaulted other players with regular and devastating regularity, may of them behind play. I fail to understand how anyone can have anything but contempt for Matthews as a footballer.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It wasn’t said in a joking matter.....

 

So what, is your attitude...

speaks volumes

A couple of things...

So you think the incident is worse because of ongoing headaches ?  You mean it would have been not as bad if there were no headaches ?  Is that what you're telling me ?

Also, I can't find the episode.  Wikipedia has dozens and dozens listed, but not any with Steven Smith.  Please link it for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Mike_(TV_series)

Edited by ProDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was a great player , but sadly for every team bar hawthorn will be remembered at a thug , one of the dirtiest players to play the game 

so many hits from behind . for me one of the worst ever players to be called a champion player 

from what Im told confront him face to face , he becomes a little boy and runs away , but put him on the footy field and he can hit you from behind ..... yea differently not someone you can look up to. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The exact answer i would expect from that man...

A Statue of him stands at the ground i am a Member of. 

“Not Happy, Jan”

 

that should never have been put up. he was a great player but to honour a THUG of the game is just wrong , what message are we sending our kids ? when they google him and the reports and videos come up ... great look for the afl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ProDee said:

A couple of things...

So you think the incident is worse because of ongoing headaches ?  You mean it would have been not as bad if there were no headaches ?  Is that what you're telling me ?

Also, I can't find the episode.  Wikipedia has dozens and dozens listed, but not any with Steven Smith.  Please link it for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Mike_(TV_series)

The incident is what it is. Stephen has ongoing trouble sleeping, because of headaches to this day...his words. 

The episode was on Youtube in its entirety 2-3 years ago,, sadly it is not there now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Leigh Matthews a street thug who was allowed to kick goals

It is sad that a statue was made to honour him

I was showing my 5yo son the Electrifying 80s DVD the other night I couldn't believe the amount of elbows being thrown nevermind the fists and roundarms. It's just the way the game was back then whether we like it or not, Grinter did the same and we love him for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The incident is what it is. 

The point I've been making.

I'm dubious about headaches today being attributed to this episode from decades ago, but even if it were true it doesn't make the act worse.  It was what it was.

That's why I said "so what", which you seemed to take umbrage with.

Wikipedia supposedly lists every 'open Mike' interview dating back to 2010, but it makes no mention of an episode with Steven Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I was showing my 5yo son the Electrifying 80s DVD the other night I couldn't believe the amount of elbows being thrown nevermind the fists and roundarms. It's just the way the game was back then whether we like it or not, Grinter did the same and we love him for it.

Sure it was rough and “Coathangers” were not uncommon. I get that, and i saw a lot of them. 

But Matthews targeted players far more than most, his victims were mostly off the ball and put to sleep, he was in his own catergory. 

I prefered it when Grinter just played footy. He was a good player, tainted in my eyes because of his tribunal record. 

Wallace’s jaw was smashed not far from where i was in the crowd, i can still recall the sound. 

It wasn’t nice....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ProDee said:

The point I've been making.

I'm dubious about headaches today being attributed to this episode from decades ago, but even if it were true it doesn't make the act worse.  It was what it was.

That's why I said "so what", which you seemed to take umbrage with.

Wikipedia supposedly lists every 'open Mike' interview dating back to 2010, but it makes no mention of an episode with Steven Smith.

Give Stephen a call and tell him what you think. I am sure he will appreciate your concern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW . . . a former senior VFL umpire told me some time ago . . . and I quote verbatim . . . "Hawthorn have won their flags on the back of thuggery". 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't old enough to see much of Matthews but have watched the Bruns hit many times, truely awful. It seems as this was his M.O. and lack of video disguises the depth

I think he's a Grub and hope he gets his comeuppance. Perhaps a red card can be appended to his statue.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

FWIW . . . a former senior VFL umpire told me some time ago . . . and I quote verbatim . . . "Hawthorn have won their flags on the back of thuggery". 

Kennedy’s Commandos, still alive at Whorethorn....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Give Stephen a call and tell him what you think. I am sure he will appreciate your concern

I doubt your or my "concern" makes any difference.  How do you think it would ? 

Can others confirm there was an 'open Mike' with Smith.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Kennedy’s Commandos, still alive at Whorethorn....

The reinvention of Matthews as an elder statement of the game is appalling and an inditement on the AFL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I doubt your or my "concern" makes any difference.  How do you think it would ? 

Can others confirm there was an 'open Mike' with Smith.  

You really are a strange one. 

You don’t believe me, when i am telling you that Stephen has ongoing headaches and problems with sleeping, AS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE MATTHEWS HIT. 

So you go and worship Lethals piece of metal and feel all gooey  

Ring up Sheahan when he does his morning radio spot in SEN

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

The reinvention of Matthews as an elder statement of the game is appalling and an inditement on the AFL.

Lou Richards loved him all through the 70’s and 80’s, he certainly elevated his career. Peter Landy was also a quiet Whorethorn man. 

They were great commentators, but i never liked the Lethal worshiping 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You really are a strange one. 

You don’t believe me, when i am telling you that Stephen has ongoing headaches and problems with sleeping, AS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE MATTHEWS HIT. 

So you go and worship Lethals piece of metal and feel all gooey  

Ring up Sheahan when he does his morning radio spot in SEN

 

It doesn't make sense to me that any ongoing headaches can be attributed to one hit decades ago when the player in question played 200 games.  Smith may lay all of the blame at that one hit and he may be right, but I doubt it.  

That said, and listen carefully, it doesn't change the act for me either way.  It was a callous brutal act that was shocking.  Whether he has ongoing headaches, or not doesn't change my view of the hit.

I find it strange that your view of the hit is affected by any resultant headaches.  For me it was terrible either way.  The ongoing headaches don't make it worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Didn't Matthews also flatten Roger Ellingworth one day?

Don't know about that, but in a practice match at the G in the early 1980s he punched Laurie Fowler in the head when the ball was at the other end of the ground. Fowler concussed, carried off, Matthews jogged away and joined in play . Melbourne supporters who saw it were screaming but no cameras , no action taken. Fowler was no angel but his aggression usually was in the heat of the play. This was unprovoked, as far from the play as it's possible to be

well done Ross McMullin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bingers said:

Yes, Whitten was also a thug.

I heard Skilton laugh about how Whitten broke his nose. Yes, really funny. What a moron.

Getting things broken was pretty much par for the course in those days .......... and that's just on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The article in todays Age was superb. I was at the game where Mathews hit Neil and it was a cold blooded thug act. I remember Neil as a junior doc in his early days and he hated Mathews with a passion for what he did. I believe Neil played 7 games for the D's but had a distinguished career in the amateurs and is a top bloke and was a great paediatric surgeon.

I also believe his family would host MFC players.

My old coach at Caulfield Stewie Trott was another who told a tale how he was knocked out by Mathews at Moorabin one day or who can forget Mathews taking Barry Cable out with an elbow in a state game .

For anyone who reckons Mathews got as much as he recieved I can only remember once when someone cleaned Mathews up, a Collingwood player. As far as I am concerned the ledger of hits is that Mathews hit far more then he ever got and certainly did more damage to others than he received

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Sure it was rough and “Coathangers” were not uncommon. I get that, and i saw a lot of them. 

But Matthews targeted players far more than most, his victims were mostly off the ball and put to sleep, he was in his own catergory. 

I prefered it when Grinter just played footy. He was a good player, tainted in my eyes because of his tribunal record. 

Wallace’s jaw was smashed not far from where i was in the crowd, i can still recall the sound. 

It wasn’t nice....

Little surprised this incident wasn't spoken about more during the week. Considering the effect and the surgery that Wallace had to go through to repair the damage was quite similar to Brayshaw's. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×