Jump to content

  • Podcast Tonight @ 8:30pm


Demonland

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 21

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Tom Dyson said:

 

still struggling to see why Bernie got omitted... 

Watch the replay of last week's game and you will know why.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Monocology said:

Dropping Vince clearly cost us Saints game. 

 

No, playing Petty instead of Frost did.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 15
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chook said:

Pedersen's very quick for his size, and Jayden Hunt's one of the quickest in the AFL.

Pederson is not quick, Jayden Hunt is quick i agree, but in terms of contest to contest Smith is quicker and id almost suggest throughout the year Vince has been quicker defensively than Hunt. 

Seeing your one of the most mobile calls makes me think you’re taking the P one 55

I understand the want for Pederson in the side of form, but there is no way he is a logical player unless Gawn is out. 

 

Edit: look across the board at the sydney side and say one match up defensively that Pederson is favourable in, I can’t see it. 

Edited by Mad_Melbourne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Peds as a defensive fwd on him or Aliir?

Are you seriously suggesting that Pedo plays on McVeigh? McVeigh would be running off him all game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Pederson is not quick, Jayden Hunt is quick i agree, but in terms of contest to contest Smith is quicker and id almost suggest throughout the year Vince has been quicker defensively than Hunt. 

Seeing your one of the most mobile calls makes me think you’re taking the P one 55

I understand the want for Pederson in the side of form, but there is no way he is a logical player unless Gawn is out. 

Well Pedo's the team regardless, so I guess we'll see who's right by Sunday afternoon.
Smith has a broken collarbone, so I'd back Pedersen to beat him for pace at this stage. With Gawn possibly not as mobile this week, we need a mobile tall who can ruck if needed. Who's better for that than Pedo?

Edited by Chook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

No, playing Petty instead of Frost did.

Agree 110%, I believe the whole club went in far to cocky for that game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chook said:

Well Pedo's the team regardless, so I guess we'll see who's right by Sunday afternoon.
Smith has a broken collarbone, so I'd back Pedersen to beat him for pace at this stage. With Gawn possibly not as mobile this week, we need a mobile tall who can ruck if needed. Who's better for that than Pedo?

I’d like to be proved wrong and see Pederson blistering pace and sure hands influence multiple contests in the air, I just don’t think he’s got it in him. 

If Gawn is not up to play, I would not play him. Then I can see why we’d bring Pederson in to compete in the ruck. If Pederson is playing as a key position defender, as he has been in the vfl, I think it’s not a good fit for him. 

 

McCarten and Franklin both far too mobile for him, take him on a lead up the ground, change directions and they’ll have lost him as he’s got an arc bigger than an 18 wheeler. 

I just can’t see the logic in selection unless Gawn is out of the side? How can you see the logic of him playing anywhere else but ruck? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

I’d like to be proved wrong and see Pederson blistering pace and sure hands influence multiple contests in the air, I just don’t think he’s got it in him. 

If Gawn is not up to play, I would not play him. Then I can see why we’d bring Pederson in to compete in the ruck. If Pederson is playing as a key position defender, as he has been in the vfl, I think it’s not a good fit for him. 

 

McCarten and Franklin both far too mobile for him, take him on a lead up the ground, change directions and they’ll have lost him as he’s got an arc bigger than an 18 wheeler. 

I just can’t see the logic in selection unless Gawn is out of the side? How can you see the logic of him playing anywhere else but ruck? 

He's played defence in the VFL for months. Obviously you know better than the coaches on that point.
I like him because he's a very flexible player, which gives us plenty of options through the ruck, backline, and up forward. Gawn and McDonald, complemented by Pedersen, makes for a very flexible ruck/back/forward array of options.

But I may be wrong about why he's in. Pedersen may just be the best like-for-like replacement for the injured Smith.
We'll see on Sunday.

Not much more to say about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chook said:

He's played defence in the VFL for months. Obviously you know better than the coaches on that point.
I like him because he's a very flexible player, which gives us plenty of options through the ruck, backline, and up forward. Gawn and McDonald, complemented by Pedersen, makes for a very flexible ruck/back/forward array of options.

 

I am not disagreeing with that, he’s played well at VFL level and on form deserves to be picked. But team balance is a consideration. The whole “know better than the coaches” is counter intuitive to any discussion and you have provided little in the way of helping me understand he reason he is selected. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

I am not disagreeing with that, he’s played well at VFL level and on form deserves to be picked. But team balance is a consideration. The whole “know better than the coaches” is counter intuitive to any discussion and you have provided little in the way of helping me understand he reason he is selected. Cheers

Reason 1: He's a good like-for-like with Smith, which minimises disruption to existing (winning) team structure
Reason 2: Gawn might be a bit sore, which means he's in-game insurance
Reason 3: We might want to throw him forward to stretch the Swans in offense
Reason 4: Who knows? Neither of us…but probably Goodwin does

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really rate Hunt.

That's what I read out of this weeks selection...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rpfc said:

They really rate Hunt.

That's what I read out of this weeks selection...

They rate what he has. That much is clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

I’d like to be proved wrong and see Pederson blistering pace and sure hands influence multiple contests in the air, I just don’t think he’s got it in him. 

If Gawn is not up to play, I would not play him. Then I can see why we’d bring Pederson in to compete in the ruck. If Pederson is playing as a key position defender, as he has been in the vfl, I think it’s not a good fit for him. 

 

McCarten and Franklin both far too mobile for him, take him on a lead up the ground, change directions and they’ll have lost him as he’s got an arc bigger than an 18 wheeler. 

I just can’t see the logic in selection unless Gawn is out of the side? How can you see the logic of him playing anywhere else but ruck? 

As the call on wether Max plays or not due to soreness from a knock to the calf probably won't be made until Sunday morning I doubt very much that Pedersen's inclusion is due to Max not playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent changes.

 If you thought Bernie was safe after last game take a good hard look at yourself. He was horrible. 

Flexibility in height and speed. 

Go Dees.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Pedo plays on McVeigh? McVeigh would be running off him all game.

Wild thought. McVeigh ain’t no gun runner nowadays, his strength is his ability to zone off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Pederson is not quick, Jayden Hunt is quick i agree, but in terms of contest to contest Smith is quicker and id almost suggest throughout the year Vince has been quicker defensively than Hunt. 

Seeing your one of the most mobile calls makes me think you’re taking the P one 55

I understand the want for Pederson in the side of form, but there is no way he is a logical player unless Gawn is out. 

 

Edit: look across the board at the sydney side and say one match up defensively that Pederson is favourable in, I can’t see it. 

Wow that's some narrative...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

Say we make it to week 1 of the finals and Viney’s back, what would be our ideal changes to this team?

for me 

in; Viney, Hibberd, Melksham

out: JKH, Pedo, Vanders 

This is a given

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

This is a given

I dunno, I reckon AVB could force his way into best 22

Id say Viney, Hibberd, Melksham back for JKH, Pedo, and Spargo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T-Mac also plays wing so they can rotate Fritsch down back leaving Pedo and Hoges as the 2 Key forwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

I dunno, I reckon AVB could force his way into best 22

Id say Viney, Hibberd, Melksham back for JKH, Pedo, and Spargo

Spargo is a better user of the ball.

AVB was okay for first week back, created a goal with his strength in the pocket, but missed two. Always had impression he wasn’t greatly skilled, but am sure there are other Demonland contributors who can give a better view.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Buongiorno, with mention of Caligula your top end correspondents cannot resist. At present holidaying in Italia and on the march south to Roma. Wi-Fi here is decidedly sketchy so when there is on opportunity we will take it. From reports the attrition rate continues as the season goes, with a few more casualties on the wayside. Shame about Smithy mi dispiace, after showing some definite promise. From the brief viewing of the match highlights the tackle causing his injury appeared overly et tu Brutus and worthy of the Colosseum and Bernie's on the backburner with Casey again... Mi  scusi  must remain relevant and on topic.  Charlie Spargo excites your roving correspondents as a worthy addition to the Demons legion who 'jack in the box'  (apologies to our co-captain)  like appears front and square for that opportunist goal. Doesn't shirk the physical stuff either in the heat of gladiatorial combat. From where we're sitting, like Caligula  thumbs up the mighty Demons, thumbs down to Equinus and his cohort this Sunday. Arrivederci.

postscript If we run into Jake we will say ciao!!!

Edited by Tarax Club
spelling remission
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Pederson is not quick, Jayden Hunt is quick i agree, but in terms of contest to contest Smith is quicker and id almost suggest throughout the year Vince has been quicker defensively than Hunt. 

Seeing your one of the most mobile calls makes me think you’re taking the P one 55

I understand the want for Pederson in the side of form, but there is no way he is a logical player unless Gawn is out. 

 

Edit: look across the board at the sydney side and say one match up defensively that Pederson is favourable in, I can’t see it. 

Tmac may play extra man in defence floating fwd?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, picket fence said:

He is not fast ! This observation was also made by a mate who played at the highest level!

 

I’ll have to keep an eye on him tomorrow.  I guess sometimes you just assume the small blokes are quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

Buongiorno, with mention of Caligula your top end correspondents cannot resist. At present holidaying in Italia and on the march south to Roma. Wi-Fi here is decidedly sketchy so when there is on opportunity we will take it. From reports the attrition rate continues as the season goes, with a few more casualties on the wayside. Shame about Smithy mi dispiace, after showing some definite promise. From the brief viewing of the match highlights the tackle causing his injury appeared overly et tu Brutus and worthy of the Colosseum and Bernie's on the backburner with Casey again... Mi  scusi  must remain relevant and on topic.  Charlie Spargo excites your roving correspondents as a worthy addition to the Demons legion who 'jack in the box'  (apologies to our co-captain)  like appears front and square for that opportunist goal. Doesn't shirk the physical stuff either in the heat of gladiatorial combat. From where we're sitting, like Caligula  thumbs up the mighty Demons, thumbs down to Equinus and his cohort this Sunday. Arrivederci.

postscript If we run into Jake we will say ciao!!!

and fettuccine to you Alfredo.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×