Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

BUCKLE UP

Pinball Wizard

Neale Daniher has advised Demon supporters to BUCKLE UP and enjoy the ride in 2007.

Speaking at the Wangaratta community camp, Daniher warned the football world to "Beware the Demons".

"After making the finals in 2005 but failing to win a game in September and winning one final last season, Daniher says his side is set to make a serious assault on the top four."

All very positive. Now let's hope we can live up to that and produce throught the season!

This is a first for Daniher.

He has always kept a very tight lid on things.

Perhaps he knows that it's top 4 or bust, not just for the team but for his coaching position as well.

I really hope he's right. The time has most certainly come for us to make the top 4, and I believe we can do it if we aim to win 50% of our interstate games.

Based on his current contract this is ND's last year. He has been developing this side over the last 4 years since he took the brave step after 2002 finals that we were not going to achieve success with the shortcomings within the 2002 finals team.

Well, this is the year he has to roll the dice and to get those younger players with potential like McLean, Sylvia, Bate, Rivers etc to really produce and hopefully supported by more experienced players. This is ND's shot and I think he will want to make it a good one.

Its an interesting question as to what ND's future will be with MFC beyond this year and when it will be decided by both parties. If MFC has a stinker of a year in 2007 (say like the Cats) then this will be his last year.

If MFC are running top 8 and possibly top 4 this year, do you re sign ND for a further term? If so, how long? And when do you do it (during the year, end of the year.)? If they are not going to appoint ND, at what point should that be determined and what process (private or public) will be enacted to seek a replacement?

The Board needs to have clear metrics and objectives in addressing this matter. If the Board were to re appoint ND for a further term then it must be done on a basis that reflects the Board's confidence in ND. On that basis saying "We'll give him one more year and will do it at the end of year" is definitive statement of a lack of confidence in ND and the Board should look elsewhere. It also compromises our interests by creating uncertainty for ND, the Club and supporters and is doomed strategy.

I hope that pre emptive and sensible behind door conversations between MFC and ND have taken place and the options and performance metrics in this arrangement have been clearly defined and agreed.

If MFC are running top 8 and possibly top 4 this year, do you re sign ND for a further term? If so, how long? And when do you do it (during the year, end of the year.)? If they are not going to appoint ND, at what point should that be determined and what process (private or public) will be enacted to seek a replacement?

This would be a very intriguing situation and probably the biggest call an MFC board has had to make in decades. What if the board re-signs ND after round 16 and we're sitting around 10-6 and 5th on the ladder. They roll the dice and show faith in the coach for another 2 or 3 more years. And then the same old occurs and the Dees just sneak into the 8 and do not progress past week 1 or 2 of the finals.

I'd personally wait till after the season. The unpredictabilty of the MFC is too much to ignore. If the Dees make is as far as the Prelim finals, then re-sign him as it shows ND's taking his team that one step closer to the holy grail. If they don't, then release him and chase after a Harvey or a Longmire. 10 years is getting a little too long to coach a team without a premiership.

However I can see the merit in signing him mid season to eliminate any uncertianty and anxiety that ND would be under, and let his sole focus be on winning a flag rather than worrying about a contract.

On a side note, it looks like the Dees may be short of match practice for our NAB Cup game V's Hawthorn as I haven't heard one bit of match practice news from the side, while plenty of other clubs have commenced their trials.

This is a first for Daniher.

He has always kept a very tight lid on things.

Perhaps he knows that it's top 4 or bust, not just for the team but for his coaching position as well.

I really hope he's right. The time has most certainly come for us to make the top 4, and I believe we can do it if we aim to win 50% of our interstate games.

Melbourne should aim to win 100% of their interstate games.

It's a first for Daniher because everything else he has tried so far hasn't worked. He should always take a positive approach.

I'd personally wait till after the season. The unpredictabilty of the MFC is too much to ignore. If the Dees make is as far as the Prelim finals, then re-sign him as it shows ND's taking his team that one step closer to the holy grail. If they don't, then release him and chase after a Harvey or a Longmire. 10 years is getting a little too long to coach a team without a premiership.

On a side note, it looks like the Dees may be short of match practice for our NAB Cup game V's Hawthorn as I haven't heard one bit of match practice news from the side, while plenty of other clubs have commenced their trials.

I think end of season position is complicated by the uncertainty and the prospect that ND could be poched by another Club. My view if the Board honestly believe that ND is the best man to lead the MFC with this batch of young players they should seek to extend his contract in accordance with their pre arranged metrics and objectives. They will look thoroughly stupidd if they believe he is the one and wait too long to re sign him and other Clubs swoop. The MFC Board are smart enough to realise that.

Also while many we say he has had 10 years, the issue is not where we have been but where we are at the moment where believe we are going and is ND the best person to do this.

While we might not be as public on the intraclub matches, I am hearingfrequent media reoprts especially on SEN by ex AFL players that they have been impressed by the way MFC have trained. It may be hype though.

It's a first for Daniher because everything else he has tried so far hasn't worked. He should always take a positive approach.

Agree. Success on the road is one of the pre requisites to a top 4 spot.

Totally agree, but it would be a bloody tough ask.

Last year we only won 2/6 which is pretty poor.

A realistic aim would be to win 4/6 this year. That would just about put us in the top 4.

Beat one of WCE or Freo at Subiaco

Beat Brisbane at the GABBA

Beat Port at AAMI

Beat Sydney at either SCG or Canberra

Totally agree, but it would be a bloody tough ask.

Last year we only won 2/6 which is pretty poor.

A realistic aim would be to win 4/6 this year. That would just about put us in the top 4.

Beat one of WCE or Freo at Subiaco

Beat Brisbane at the GABBA

Beat Port at AAMI

Beat Sydney at either SCG or Canberra

Should win 3 of those (brisbane, Port and Sydney) which going by last year will put us in the Top 4. We would have to get lucky or play very well to beat Freo or WC over there.

I'm sure it's been said before but Sheedy's time will most likely be up at the end of this season one way or another. His health alone could determine this regardless of on-field success.

One camp has the Dons wanting an original son, ie Neil, to return to the fold with a 'developing list' at his disposal; the other says if he can't achieve success with us, with the 'developing list' we've had and got, then forget him.

Interesting times await come contract time. And remember, you can always walk away from one in such laissez-faire times.

Neil realises this is crunch time. Close will be good enough, finishing sixth won't be.

I reckon this will be THE hot topic for 2007 on ology and land, for the purists.

My only hope in this regard is that the board don't make a decision after round 11 or 12. By then we will only really have a rough idea of how we're travelling as we'd have only had a few matches away from Victoria, and the G. I think it would be reasonable for ND to expect the board to see some food on their plate regarding late season fade-outs. ie, when we get to the mid season break, I'd imagine the board would want to see what happens in the second half and ND would not be surprised given the team's form in recent years. The same can expected if the situation is reversed. What if we're only 6-6 by mid-season? Neale would hope for the opportunity to prove his worth in the second half, and should get it.

You can never know, and my feeling is the board may play it week by week, but you'd suggest post round 22 would be the ideal time. If things are too hectic, then perhaps a couple of rounds before the end of the season, and if Neale resists because of coacing restraints, post finals. It's a hairy thing to consider though, if the board were forced to wait until then, another club may pounce. At least he realises he's been in the job a long time and still has a fw points to prove.

Agree. Success on the road is one of the pre requisites to a top 4 spot.

I agree too. :lol:

I should have said that we should aim to win 100% of interstate games, but realistically if we win 50% we should make the top 4 (given we continue our dominance at the G').

This is going to be a very interesting season for many reasons, Daniher's contract being one of them.

If we don't make the top 4, I think his time may be up. Making up numbers is no longer good enough. We're seriously running out of time if we want Neita to hold the cup.

My thoughts...

There are so many 'what ifs' regarding any decision on ND teniour its hard to know where to start.

I would like to see the club re-sign ND after round 18 if we look like finishing top 4.

If we are going to finish in the 8, but don't look like finishing in the top 4, they should wait until the end of the finals campaign to see how we go.

If we don't look like making the finals at all, I would 'do a St Kilda', and look for replacements but give ND a chance to save his job by NOT sacking him until after round 22.

However, the board will have to take into account any INJURIES. At the end of the day if we lose a handful of our top line players to injury, will the results really reflect ND's input?

Also, I don't think we have to worry too much about ND being poached by other clubs. If the team is having a bad year, without injuries, his value will drop and we will all no doubt want to be there to hold the door open for him.

On the other hand, if the team is travelling as expected, why would he want to leave to take on a developing list when a premiership of two is on offer?

Go Dees

I agree too. :lol:

I should have said that we should aim to win 100% of interstate games, but realistically if we win 50% we should make the top 4 (given we continue our dominance at the G').

This is going to be a very interesting season for many reasons, Daniher's contract being one of them.

If we don't make the top 4, I think his time may be up. Making up numbers is no longer good enough. We're seriously running out of time if we want Neita to hold the cup.

Based on the past 5 years to get Top 4 you need at least 14W & 8L & good% or 15W 7L to be sure. You drop 3 interstate games you can realistically only drop a further 4 maybe 5 over the rest of the season. A big ask. Its going to be a big effort to replicate our MCG form of 2006.

I think we need to win at least 4 out of 6 interstate games to be genuine.

I highlighted your metric on ND. I dont think that his re signing will come down to that. Its too late. The Board need to have clearly agreed outcomes that will taken into account now and the first half of next season.

Ladder position alone is pivotal but sometimes harsh measuring tool. If we finished 6th, where our season had been clearly fractured by injuries and that the younger brigade were clearly stepping forward, do you tell ND to walk? Is the Board confident that there is a better coach out there? Do you want to take that gamble at such a crucial time with the list?

When he was last appointed the Board were convinced that ND could take them the next step? Do they still feel that way now? What has changed? If the Board still believe that should they not end speculation now?

The more I think about it the more I am convinced the Board has set metrics that go beyond ladder position at any point of the year. I am also sure that the Board and ND have agreed and understood these parameters.

My thoughts...

There are so many 'what ifs' regarding any decision on ND teniour its hard to know where to start.

However, the board will have to take into account any INJURIES. At the end of the day if we lose a handful of our top line players to injury, will the results really reflect ND's input?

Also, I don't think we have to worry too much about ND being poached by other clubs. If the team is having a bad year, without injuries, his value will drop and we will all no doubt want to be there to hold the door open for him.

On the other hand, if the team is travelling as expected, why would he want to leave to take on a developing list when a premiership of two is on offer?

Go Dees

Injuries are a good point.

I think you underestimate the esteem and respect ND has in AFL. His fortunes will not necessarily be sunk on one bad year.

If ND wanted to, he will be coaching AFL in 2008, whether at MFC or elsewhere.

Interesting times await come contract time. And remember, you can always walk away from one in such laissez-faire times.

Its contract time now not at the end of the season.

Both parties need to fulfil their parts of the contract whether or not we are in "laissez- faire" times

Its contract time now not at the end of the season.

Both parties need to fulfil their parts of the contract whether or not we are in "laissez- faire" times

It's been reported that Collingwood is almost certain to give Mick Malthouse a one-year contract extension, keeping him with the Magpies until the end of 2008. Both parties are expected to agree to the new deal within the next few weeks.

I assume that means that Collingwood don't think Nathan Buckley will be ready next year and they'll give him one year under Malthouse's wings to get him ready for the gig. I can't see any other reason why they would want to reappoint a coach who's been around a long time without getting success and I would think that Melbourne should hold their fire with regard to any coaching renewal with the Reverend.

I say this even though the Bombers are likely to look closely at Neale for their coaching job if Sheedy retires or is boned at the end of 2007.

There comes a time when you have to consider whether a bloke's been in a coaching job for too long and a different approach might be needed. I think that would apply if we're not at least top 4 in 2007 and therefore I'd suggest that Neale takes his own advice and buckles up for what could be a very interesting year.

I think all at the club including the coach need to focus on making a better start to this year than we did in 2006 (which I'm sure they're doing!). Everyone's suggesting that our problems last year stemmed from a bit of a fade out and some injuries late in the year but a 0-3 start didn't help.

They can talk about coaching contracts later in the season or when it's over.

Hi Garry....?

I think you mean Gary.

And no. We're not going to dump an experienced coach for someone who hasn't coached a day of AFL in his life, just because he used to be our captain.

It's as ridicilous as suggesting that we recruit the Ox.

I would hope that if the decision was not to renew Daniher's contract, that the board would have some experienced candidates in mind.

As they say, it's better the devil you know.

I think you mean Gary.

And no. We're not going to dump an experienced coach for someone who hasn't coached a day of AFL in his life, just because he used to be our captain.

It's as ridicilous as suggesting that we recruit the Ox.

I would hope that if the decision was not to renew Daniher's contract, that the board would have some experienced candidates in mind.

As they say, it's better the devil you know.

Now Jaded, he has had wonderful experience running the Footy show and that ridiculous Gaelic hybrid rules [censored] up. :lol: