Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Gold Coast Suns

No change unless someone’s injured. 

I reckon the boys will be flat against GC. Two big away games after Darwin. Don’t be surprised if it’s close at half time. 

We need everyone out there 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yung Blood said:

Peds, sure as he's played a lead up role as CHF before and performed well spreading and marking on wings. 

But to play wing you need to have good kicking and Frost is too much of a liability at the moment. Much better for him to continue to play behind the ball. He has improved our structure since Lever went down and is more then adequate at taking the oppositions best or second key tall.

I agree, Frost is improving.

He's yet to start to believe in his kicking,,, but its getting better... but his anxiety hurts his decision making, and also rushes his decisions and dulls his awareness.

This is his main area to address IMO.   his anxt.  needs to get on-top of it.  It holds him back.

Pedo can play wing, his kicking is good enough for the role.  He reads the play well enough, and the position keeps him close enough to be able to lend a hand to our defence,,, by dropping back.

I agree, I prefer Frost play on the opposition tall defender, as long as Pedo can drop in to lend a hand.

And maintaining the two young defenders in position... Oscar & Frost.

We can also maintain our Forward structure this way.

2 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

JKH stays in. Played a good game. Some people on here are blind, fair dinkum.

Smith is a bit more in the gun. Loved his endeavour and physicality, but his disposal might mean he loses his spot.

Hunt is no chance to come in. Wasn't even in the 22 before he got hurt, and wasn't knocking the door down in the VFL before then. Demonland is slowly getting more daft.

We can't carry smith in defence . His clangers were terrible on saturday. As garry lyon said this morning. Hes ok just don't alllow him to kick. But the game is called football for a reason.  I like spargo because at least he can hit a target. 

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

No change unless someone’s injured. 

I reckon the boys will be flat against GC. Two big away games after Darwin. Don’t be surprised if it’s close at half time. 

We need everyone out there 

One away game was 80 k's away in Geelong. It will be 31 days since Darwin this Sunday. Do you really, think that game has any significance on us at all now?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

I don’t know if we can afford to have another debutant flounder in defence like we did against St Kilda.  Frost isn’t a world beater but we needed him in against the Saints.  Baker gets his chance next year, every game is life and death to our season.  I would have thought that would have been our motto all year ??‍♂️

I'm not fussed Re Baker debut.  We have a few players who can do the role I mentioned.  Hannan, Pedo,... but I want our wingers to support our backs more.

Pedo showed last year he can be a dangerous player between the Arcs.   This is where I want him to play now, while Jesse is playing sore.

Or, switch Jesse and Pedo.  With Hogan on the wing.  Out of the F50, playing midfield role, and dropping back helping our defenders. 

I think he needs a rest from wrestling the tall defenders, and them jumping into his back.  Either that or drop him altogether, for a rest   It was interesting to learn he had the flu or similar.  That could explain a bit of poor form on the weekend, and would certainly exaggerate his sore spots.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mondê said:

I think it is too late in the season to be experimenting with positions, Smith hasn't played wing since he has been in the team and likewise Pedo as a key back.

I'm a Barassi theorist.  I think the players can play where they're put.

I think Smith is struggling with the inexperienced Defence, just as OMc is.  So Smith is making some simple ball handling errors which we can't afford in our defence.

But I think he will be more composed from the wing, if they allowed him the role. 

But my preference would be to drop Smith for Hannan. Hannan from a wing, or as a part of our defence. 

I still want Pedo in the midfield as well.

Its exciting that we do have more players nowadays worthy of calling up.  It gives us many options to change things up.

Monde`.  The current 22 is not up to not making any positional changes.

• Like 1

My thinking calming down after the match and watching the replay is no changes until: 

- Viney and Hibberd become available, then decisions have to be made,

- there is injury

- or someone absolutely demands a spot, putting in a series of blinders at Casey. 

Until any of these events occur let’s keep the current 22 in place so they learn more playing together. 

Yes maybe it could be better but I think there are more short and longer term advantages sticking with a stable team coming into the finals, if we manage to get there. 

Tyson played well. jKH has earnt another game, I think. J Smith is worth the gamble, he is learning, has great potential and he will improve. 

Edited by Earl Hood
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Couldnt have said it better myself. The midfield are required to do a lot of that support. Added to this is teams try to isolate him quite often because his one on one skills are not the best.

He looked better when Lever had played a few games and there was a bit of sync there but his one on one is heart in mouth stuff, his intensity I don't think can ever be changed. He has better skills than Frost but Frost has more weapons with his strength and speed. We be good if could somehow 'merge' them....

You, deemania56 and DV8 make quite a triumvirate. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, xarronn said:

One away game was 80 k's away in Geelong. It will be 31 days since Darwin this Sunday. Do you really, think that game has any significance on us at all now?

I was talking about the mental and physical toll of getting up for big games away from your home ground. It all adds up. With most of our important players being under 23, I would expect a ‘down’ game at some point

8 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I’ve just had a quick look at the Suns injury list and with S May also not playing, if we were to lose this it’d be our worst defeat since the 186pt game. 

Stewart Dew has also flagged a number of changes but with the suspension of May, their injury list (including their other skipper in Lynch) and the fact that their NEAFL side is 8th in a 10 team comp, where do they get their players from to replace players dropped, suspended etc?

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

Stewart Dew has also flagged a number of changes but with the suspension of May, their injury list (including their other skipper in Lynch) and the fact that their NEAFL side is 8th in a 10 team comp, where do they get their players from to replace players dropped, suspended etc?

barlow must surely come in, as should pearce hanley

been absolutely dominant at neafl for weeks

i'm interested to see if swallow gets up

their midfield is actually okay, on paper at least

The knives out for Nat Jones is disappointing... I know he has been down on form but he has been solid this year and is adjusting to a different role with the emergence of two of the best young mids in the game. He is well ahead of anyone we have down at Casey.

I would love to see AVB play again for the Dees but as a supporter I don’t know whether he is in our best forward line... Kent intrigued me but has to be at his best. Garlett has to stay as he is our only natural small forward who can crumb. Spargo has had an excellent start to his career but if Kent displaces him and brings his footy IQ, his toughness, and his left foot - we would have a devastating forward line. 

• Like 4

Defensively Smith actually did a decent job, he rarely got beaten one on one and competed extremely well. But boy when he got the ball me made some blunders, in a defence that features himself, OMac, and Frost those are three guys I do not want to have the ball. The big question is do we have anyone that would still be as competitive one on one but a better ball user?

Hogan was crook last week, you’d hope he’ll be over whatever was making him play like he was carrying an extra 100kgof weight. As for the injuries he picked up during the game, the medico’s continued to allow him to play so you can only imagine they were just knocks and bumps. 

I’d be happy to give him a weeks rest for our final assault on September, but equally you take any team lightly at your peril. Most teams would be given a fair rev up after losing to Carlton. 

9 hours ago, rpfc said:

The knives out for Nat Jones is disappointing... I know he has been down on form but he has been solid this year and is adjusting to a different role with the emergence of two of the best young mids in the game. He is well ahead of anyone we have down at Casey.

He actually looked like he was deliberately holding back from some of the contests early in the game, not because he couldn't but it looked to me to be a game plan. I think next year we might see him more permanently played from half back (replacing Vince) to be the wise head, but this year maybe their trying to get him on the outside a bit - he's got decent pace (when open) and will still go and get his own ball when required. 

It’s a long way from the MCG here in the rainforest but the word on the sweet eddy in the red cedars is that if you want to go deep into the finals you need 28 or 29 fit and healthy tyros all with recent senior big game experience... and we have the current 22 plus Hannan and Hibbo ( I don’t expect Viney back) which is 24.The next 4 or 5 haven’t played seniors for yonks .. Bugg Kent Vanders Weed TSmith Pedo... so I wonder if we can afford to leave all of them out in this next four week period.

Kent for Spargo and Wagner fro Smith this week?

15 minutes ago, grey wolf said:

It’s a long way from the MCG here in the rainforest but the word on the sweet eddy in the red cedars is that if you want to go deep into the finals you need 28 or 29 fit and healthy tyros all with recent senior big game experience... and we have the current 22 plus Hannan and Hibbo ( I don’t expect Viney back) which is 24.The next 4 or 5 haven’t played seniors for yonks .. Bugg Kent Vanders Weed TSmith Pedo... so I wonder if we can afford to leave all of them out in this next four week period.

Kent for Spargo and Wagner fro Smith this week?

Unless you are Richmond an the only injury issue you have actually becomes the key to winning a flag - having big men go down early in the 2017 season forced them to go small in the forward line and presto anew flag winning model was born!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

He actually looked like he was deliberately holding back from some of the contests early in the game, not because he couldn't but it looked to me to be a game plan. I think next year we might see him more permanently played from half back (replacing Vince) to be the wise head, but this year maybe their trying to get him on the outside a bit - he's got decent pace (when open) and will still go and get his own ball when required. 

Jones is a natural born inside mid and the Club will pull out all stops to find another role for him but when he is no longer in the best 4 mids he is going to struggle. 

A bit similar but not quite as dire for Nathan as the position Tyson has found himself in; right at home in the middle but a liability elsewhere and on the edge of our best 22. 

1 minute ago, FarNorthernD said:

Jones is a natural born inside mid and the Club will pull out all stops to find another role for him but when he is no longer in the best 4 mids he is going to struggle. 

A bit similar but not quite as dire for Nathan as the position Tyson has found himself in; right at home in the middle but a liability elsewhere and on the edge of our best 22. 

We seem to get ourselves into these situations, Viney is another that can't play anywhere else other than inside mid.

16 minutes ago, FarNorthernD said:

I actually think he could turn into a Mathew Boyd type backman, Boyd played the majority of his games for the doggies in the middle until the last 3 or 4 years of his career when he went to the backline, even winning All Aust selection there. 

• Like 1