Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Alex Neal-Bullen

dazzledavey36

13 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He's absolutely killing all of our chances of trying to win this game! Runs around like an absolute headless chook and [censored] it up all the time.

Give me Kent or Vandenberg next week please!

About a year ago I accepted that Alex Neal-Bullen will, amongst other things, never be our most skilled player, will fumble at times, will choose the wrong option every now & then; however, he won’t get outworked, he’ll surprise with the odd clever decision & freakish execution (even if it looks like a fluke), he’ll contribute by doing a lot of the hard things that lead to team success, and he has the propensity to be just damn effective.

He frustrates me in flashes, but I wouldn’t take him out of this side in a hurry.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

About a year ago I accepted that Alex Neal-Bullen will, amongst other things, never be our most skilled player, will fumble at times, will choose the wrong option every now & then; however, he won’t get outworked, he’ll surprise with the odd clever decision & freakish execution (even if it looks like a fluke), he’ll contribute by doing a lot of the hard things that lead to team success, and he has the propensity to be just damn effective.

He frustrates me in flashes, but I wouldn’t take him out of this side in a hurry.

spot on Mch5...   one of our hardest workers, and a little like the young Jones boy at the beginning.

Nibbler will get better as he plays more games, and learns.

He is a dangerous player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

Check out his pass to Jeffy that lead to TMacs first goal. It was a ripper

• Like 4

He's always going to give us the same traits: hard running (indeed, he'd be top 3 IMO with Gaff and Scully), 100% effort for 100% of the game, and tackling/defensive pressure.

He's also always (I think) going to struggle with the offensive parts of his game. He's not a great kick, he's a worse set shot for goal, and he isn't always the best decision maker.

He's kept his spot all year because the positives outweigh the negatives, and so long as he keeps busting a gut to make options, run, tackle, chase and lead the way on the field and off as to work ethic, that will probably remain the case.

• Like 1

My old man last night said to me “ANB is a second tier player”. Thinking about him like this makes me happier about him. He’s never going to be elite, or even very good. But he’ll rotate from bad - good and often in the time frame of one game. Expecting this makes me appreciate that he really shouldn’t be dropped. 

2 hours ago, S_T said:

Positives far outweigh his negatives. 

13 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

My old man last night said to me “ANB is a second tier player”. Thinking about him like this makes me happier about him. He’s never going to be elite, or even very good. But he’ll rotate from bad - good and often in the time frame of one game. Expecting this makes me appreciate that he really shouldn’t be dropped. 

He's only but a kid in footy terms...  22Yrs & 52 games of footy, playing as one of out top 10 players.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--alex-neal-bullen

On 7/28/2018 at 9:26 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

He's absolutely killing all of our chances of trying to win this game! Runs around like an absolute headless chook and [censored] it up all the time.

You just had a bad dream  Dazz you can wake up now. Dazz!, Dazz! can you here meeeeee! It's the Nibbler. You know who l am?

On 7/28/2018 at 9:26 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

You just had a bad dream  Dazz you can wake up now. Dazz!, Dazz! can you here meeeeee! It's the Nibbler. You know who l am?

As pointed out above, his positives outweigh his negatives. A Superstar he is not, not even a star. But he is an important cog, one who is crucified for his mistakes, but rarely commended for doing the 1%'s (i.e. his 2-way running).

It is often said the quality and depth of a team is measured by their bottom 6. If we get to a stage where he is a constant member of this group, then we will be in a pretty good position.

I'm more than surprised at the reason this thread was created. He was extremely important to our win and has become the standard at the club when it comes to forward pressure acts. He's a bottom tier player in the context of our team but he's doing his job for the most part quite well.

• Like 1

What's the point of his one supposed strength (elite running) if it brings no actual advantage? Eg, late in a game where he can outrun his exhausted opponents?

But wait ... there he was in the dying seconds on his own streaming into an open goal. At last the benefits materialise.

He may be NQR, but his version of NQR is still pretty good. Go ANB. Go Demons.

• Like 1

He's not a finished product, but Jones wasn't either at ANB's age. Always thought early on Jones used to bomb the ball without thinking, just rushing the kick into the forward line.

He's never going to be one of our stars, but he's a role player and does what is asked of him by the coaches. He's the type of player that will rarely get the accolades in a win, but is the first to be picked out in a loss.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ouch! said:

He's not a finished product, but Jones wasn't either at ANB's age. Always thought early on Jones used to bomb the ball without thinking, just rushing the kick into the forward line.

He's never going to be one of our stars, but he's a role player and does what is asked of him by the coaches. He's the type of player that will rarely get the accolades in a win, but is the first to be picked out in a loss.

Jones still does!

Agree, ANB won't be one of our stars and he plays his role well.  And as you say, we don't notice all the good things he does as it is often when 'he doesn't have the ball'.  But we notice his turnovers which are usually by foot as his handball isn't bad.  Fix his kicking to teammates and especially to goal and he will be an Impact Player.

I also think he doesn't yet have full belief in himself.  He looks a tad nervous and hesitant when about to kick.  Eyes darting everywhere - could be just looking for options.  In time he will gain full confidence. 

I haven't been a fan but now think he is a bona fide best 22.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

You don't need all our players to be stars to win flags. Just a couple and the rest all role players, look at Richmond. Do you think blokes like Lambert, Castagna, Riolio, Mcintosh, Broad, Townsend, Caddy, Vlastuin, Ellis, Astbury, Short, Grimes are all stars? No, they are role players. 

That's what ANB is. A role player, and he will eventually be one of our 22 who will help deliver a flag. 

Edited by juzzk1d
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, juzzk1d said:

You don't need all our players to be stars to win flags. Just a couple and the rest all role players, look at Richmond. Do you think blokes like Lambert, Castagna, Riolio, Mcintosh, Broad, Townsend, Caddy, Vlastuin, Ellis, Astbury, Short, Grimes are all stars? No, they are role players. 

That's what ANB is. A role player, and he will eventually be one of our 22 who will help deliver a flag. 

Let's break this down a bit.
First the defenders:
- Astbury, Broad, Grimes are all locked down defenders who are excellent in contests and keep it simple with the ball. Astbury and Grimes are excellent footballers
- Short and Ellis (when in form for Brandon) are excellent skilled running defenders
- Vlastuin is a star who can do it all as a defender.

- Rioli is battling injuries this year but he's a star. And Caddy is pretty close to it too this year, he's elevated his decision making and skills to be a really talented player.

- Castagna and Townsend are very much role players in Richmond's system and they would frustrate fans in losing sides. That said, they have clearly defined roles. Castagna is a great athlete and uses his pace to pressure and stick tackles. Townsend is pretty much a cheap shot artist but he's mean and physical and competes in the air.

The players ANB resembles more to me are Lambert and McIntosh. Like ANB those guys are both elite runners and therefore they get involved in play frequently and contribute defensively through work rate. However I wouldn't call either of them role players. A role player to me is someone who can excel in one part of the game - attack or defend - or one skill - hit out, punches, tackles, pressure - and that be enough to contribute to the side. ANB is going to keep finding the ball and being involved around the play and so to me he can't be classed as purely a role player. 

Lambert at Richmond sorted out his disposal and is now a superb player and has even gone in to the midfield more this year. McIntosh hasn't sorted his disposal and is still best 22 based on his run and contested work on a wing but has been dropped and played VFL footy. ANB has to keep developing his skills and awareness or he'll be more of a McIntosh than a Lambert.

• Like 1

He does so many things that don’t show up on a stat sheet, hard running, accountable on his opponent, he makes the odd mistake but so does most of our team. I think he’s had a much improved year and will continue to improve 

On 7/28/2018 at 10:41 PM, Demonland said:

I think I'll just leave this here. 

The thing that I'm hoping Dazzle has picked up from this video is that Nibbler is at the initial contest like everyone else and then he just runs (unlike everybody else) because he is the fittest bloke at the club.

Yes we have all noticed he can miss the odd kick, but he's playing a position that is always under pressure and a spot where you are heavily criticised when you lose and begrudgingly accepted with "about time" or "downhill skier" when you win.

What is sad is that if you really watched him as if you were his father, you would be rapt with his positioning and intensity and his team-first ethic. 

Instead you have just allowed your own personal vendetta to get the better of you.

I personally get sh..ted off with Jordy's lack of pace but it doesn't stop me realising what he brings to the table.

Repeat after me 100 times:

"I must not bag Nibbler"

On 7/29/2018 at 12:47 AM, nosoupforme said:

I will give you one in Joel Smith I have no idea how he is getting a game if you watched the game you would understand Censored what was he doing out there. Goody is blind, However he is being carried.  If that was JW the supporters would be screaming. Watch the replay that's all l have to say. When you win everyone looks good even clangers don't stand out.

Who comes in for Smith? He is very much finding his feet at the top level but the cupboards ain’t overflowing gun half backs at present.