• Latest Podcast: Hawthorn

Sign in to follow this  
Blistering

Experience v Youth

I was reading an interesting article by Chris McDermott on the Adelaide Crows and the fact that they have the oldest list in the competiiton:- http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...0-21543,00.html

Mc Dermott doesn't think age will be a problem for Adelaide in its campaign to stay in the top four.

I think however, that you can sometimes be too old and the Crows might have missed their window of opportunity to win a flag.

On the other hand, I think the Demons have got it just right at the moment with a mature team but with quite a few young prospects ready to make an impact. We're probably a couple of players away from making a real challenge to the Eagles and Swans provided some of those young players stand up and improve this year.

Just for fun I looked at my best Melbourne team.

Whelan, Carroll, Bell, Rivers, Green, McLean, TJ, Pickett, MIller, Davey Neitz, Yze, Robbo, White, Junior, Jones, Bate, Sylvia, Bartram, Moloney, Bruce and Jamar.

Average age is 25.

But:

Developing: defined as less than 24.

Peak: defined as 24 to 28

Declining: defined as older than 28.

Our mix:

Developing: 11

Peak: 5

Declining: 6

This is indicative of our young list and why we have so much inner improvement. It is an interesting comparison to Adelaide.

Bassett, Biglands, Bode, Burton, Doughty, Edwards, Goodwin, Hudson, Johncock, Mattner, McGregor, McLeod, Perrie, Porplyzia, Reilly, Ricciuto, Rutten, Shirley, Stevens, Thompson, Tourney, Welsh.

Average age: 27

Developing: 4

Peak: 9

Declining: 9

We are on the way up, they are on the way down. They are not giving any of their youth games. Not only that, their stars are old. Rucciuto, McLeod, Edwards and Goodwin all over 30. And that's their runners. This year or bust for the Crows I'd reckon.

In "clock" speak, we are at 10.00 to 11.00, they are at 1.30.

I was reading an interesting article by Chris McDermott on the Adelaide Crows and the fact that they have the oldest list in the competiiton:- http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...0-21543,00.html

Mc Dermott doesn't think age will be a problem for Adelaide in its campaign to stay in the top four.

I think however, that you can sometimes be too old and the Crows might have missed their window of opportunity to win a flag.

On the other hand, I think the Demons have got it just right at the moment with a mature team but with quite a few young prospects ready to make an impact. We're probably a couple of players away from making a real challenge to the Eagles and Swans provided some of those young players stand up and improve this year.

Dunn - has shown he can read the play and is couragous. Has everything going for him and is already bulking up

Mclean - Missed the preseason last year and look what he accomplished. He will be a seriously good player not only this year but in years to come. Reads the ball very very well

Bate - Will drive our midfield this year and years to come. Can damage the midfield, line up on high profile players and kick 55 metre goals.

Jones - Needs game time but has proved he wants to play footy. He and bate will drive out midfield in 2-3 years

Bartram - Cant comment about him. All possitive and will be in our team racking up the ball for years.

Others: Sylvia (who can play well from time to time but will be a good depth player), Bell, Ferguson, C.Johnson, Wornock, Moloney.

We are still a fair way off Sydney and WCE. Ruck and defence are an issue and the midfield at times. But we can only go forward (unless we have the St Kilda curse)

IMO, experience is underrated by many people here. There seems to be so much hype and focus surrounding rookies and draft picks, moreover as soon as a player hits their late 20's or early 30's people think there is no more room for improvement.

Just like we have seen with James McDonald, oh wait...

EDIT: Just like to add that I agree with the sentiments of the original post in that ATM Melbourne have a good mix of youth and experience.

I'm not so sure yet about Adelaide being goners. Midway through last year they were so far ahead everyone was worried about how to beat them. While they have a lot of players in the older bracket many og them are only just in their 30s. It's not like they're in the Buckley/Hird/Archer category where they're limping on for one more season. Look at Neita. He had one of his finest seasons at the age of 31. Add to that the fact that some of them are greats of the game, like McLeod and Ricciuto. I'd suggest that they're in a little bit of trouble as far as their next few years go, and even this year still appears a bit risky. They're still not favourites for the flag. But I reckon many are too quick to write them off. I'm with fan on this one. 2007 or bust for the crows.