Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs Adelaide

What

On 7/23/2018 at 3:26 PM, DV8 said:

I've also been wondering about Hannan,,, as a swingman... learning to play as a defender.  mobile, agile, speed, and great tackler. OK kick.

it's a thought, not the worst one either. i'd give it a go.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DubDee said:

Hannan was dropped for extended poor form and didnt play I dont think

Hannan was dropped for what the Club said was a 'jarred' knee. He didn't play VFL.

I'd put good money on the fact that Hannan's been carrying an injury all season, and that this has impacted on his form.

I'd be happy to have Hannan miss a couple of weeks of footy if that's going to help his injury management.

Edited by Rogue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do people write these before the previous game? This weeks casualty regardless of performance Joel Smith. An 8 game player who in the hottest game of the year had 16 possessions at 81% and the second most 1%ers in our. I must have missed who he played on that carved him up? Was he on Hawkins? 

I suspect JKH will make way but doubt and wouldnt expect more than that.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Do people write these before the previous game? This weeks casualty regardless of performance Joel Smith. An 8 game player who in the hottest game of the year had 16 possessions at 81% and the second most 1%ers in our. I must have missed who he played on that carved him up? Was he on Hawkins? 

I suspect JKH will make way but doubt and wouldnt expect more than that.

Yes i thought he looked good gave it everything and his athleticism often made a difference in frustrating the cats

• Like 2

On 7/23/2018 at 11:58 PM, WERRIDEE said:

O.K O.Mac stays but if he puts in another shocker I'm demanding his head and pleading for Keilty to come in.

IN: Hannan OUT: JKH

We won't be resting anyone against the Suns. Have to learn from the Swans when they dropped Grundy.

Even when he had support around him O-Mac was brushed aside like a fly by Hawkins as if he wasn't there W.  Play that game over and over and you will get a similar result with Hawkins kicking 5 or more even with Lever / Hibberd in.

O-Mac simply isnt powerful enough to go with the big bustling forwards.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2018 at 12:32 AM, nosoupforme said:

I just can't see what they see in Joel Smith. Sorry l don't hate the guy he is trying but just does not cut it. Kielty is a matured 194CM and 95 Kgs and has the smarts. Big bodied as well played football through the junior days not basketball as his priority like Joel has.        JKH  is not doing enough to hold his spot and should have kicked the sealer late in the last. It is hard for him to show his wares which he did in his first year. It does not look that he is up to it.  Time to bring in Bugg for some tough stuff. He has go and that's what we need at the moment until we get back Hibbo and Viney.

The bloke has played half a dozen games.  Surely kids time to develop and get better in the senior side. 

Besides Hawkins all other cats players in the forward half had very little impact, so I’d say he done his job.

They can’t all be Oliver’s. 

Edited by Demons11

7 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Even when he had support around him O-Mac was brushed aside like a fly by Hawkins as if he wasn't there W.  Play that game over and over and you will get a similar result with Hawkins kicking 5 or more even with Lever / Hibberd in.

No he wasn’t; he was well beaten on the lead and the Cats’ mids - who had ZERO pressure on them from our mids, for the most part - put it down his throat as they lowered eyes going i50

I want Kent in if he’s GTG; JKH is the obvious out

Crows may ‘play tall’ with Walker, Jenkins, McGovern, but Lynch is effectively a push-up mid for them - he just happens to be tall

On the weekend past, it was their mid-sized forward who did the damage on the scoreboard, not their talls

Walker - O Mac
Betts - Jetta
Jenkins - Frost
McGovern - J Smith
Lynch - Vince
Greenwood - Lewis

But, quite frankly, our match-ups won’t make a lick of difference if our mids don’t do their job defensively on the likes of Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs, et al

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

No he wasn’t; he was well beaten on the lead and the Cats’ mids - who had ZERO pressure on them from our mids, for the most part - put it down his throat as they lowered eyes going i50

Crows may ‘play tall’ with Walker, Jenkins, McGovern, but Lynch is effectively a push-up mid for them - he just happens to be tall

On the weekend past, it was their mid-sized forward who did the damage on the scoreboard, not their talls

Walker - O Mac
Betts - Jetta
Jenkins - Frost
McGovern - J Smith
Lynch - Vince
Greenwood - Lewis

But, quite frankly, our match-ups won’t make a lick of difference if our mids don’t do their job defensively on the likes of Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs, et al

Personally we will miss the 8 this year. We have a few games left so run the lads you think will have an impact next year. 

I'd bring back Kent for JKH. Other than that, no change unless Harmes isn't right, in which case maybe Bugg. Heaven help us if that's the case. I give us no chance of winning this game or the Eagles game or GWS, which will see us miss the 8. Could conceivably lose all remaining fixtures, with GCS now showing something.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Melbourne star Clayton Oliver left the track early. Had some work done on his right quad/hip flexor. Didn’t look overly serious but enough for the fitness staff to take him out of training.

Oh come on.....Harmes also a no show which casts some doubt on him.

3 hours ago, Demons11 said:

The bloke has played half a dozen games.  Surely kids time to develop and get better in the senior side. 

Besides Hawkins all other cats players in the forward half had very little impact, so I’d say he done his job.

They can’t all be Oliver’s. 

If you play well at Casey and get some continuity in your games played, then you could be looked at being picked. He doesn't take the game on. Punched the ball away when there was no one in kooee . Late in the last Q. That was a markable ball. You keep looking how he is playing and l hope to G..D he gets  better. I will be watching  too.   

Your  comment  about Oliver. THERE IS ONLY ONE OLIVER . PLEASE GET IT RIGHT AND DON'T COMPARE.

3 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Most AFL players, particularly young ones will be pushed aside by Hawkins.

do we need this fella out of retirement to satisfy the doubters ?

image4863

The other alternative was to send TMc back;  and bring Frost up the ground to the wing...  who by the way is improving.

Edited by DV8

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

image4863

The other alternative was to send TMc back;  and bring Frost up the ground to the wing...  who by the way is improving.

Why would you want opposition forwards to kick *more* goals on us? Shanners was consistently beaten against big forwards.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, praha said:

Why would you want opposition forwards to kick *more* goals on us? Shanners was consistently beaten against big forwards.

LOL  Oscar isn't the problem...

Our problem was that we stuffed up thru the middle of the ground, allowing an open midfield for the Cats to run and kick thru, with ease.

Oscar had no intercept cut off helping him.   A very Open forwardline.

Edited by DV8

4 hours ago, Dirts said:

Personally we will miss the 8 this year. We have a few games left so run the lads you think will have an impact next year. 

You think we will miss,do you think that is what the coaches think?

5 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Walker - O Mac
Betts - Jetta
Jenkins - Frost
McGovern - J Smith
Lynch - Vince
Greenwood - Lewis

You need to watch the replay again WW.

I agree it was much on the lead but he was beaten far too easily at ground level on a couple of occasions also.

2 hours ago, DV8 said:

image4863

In hindsight I think T-Mac had to go back with instructions to Frost to play off his man a tad further than usual to kill any long balls coming in or fill the hole DV.

I would roll the die and play a reasonably in form Pedders (provided he is in form) for O-Mac against any bullocking type key forwards from here.  O-Mac is not a KPD and we will continue to pay the price when played that way. Not his fault, the FD just needs to finally realise he is limited to playing on the next biggest / best defender wherever possible.

The longer that match went on on Saturday the more confident Hawkins grew.  You could see it with every score or score involvement.  He knew he had him beat in every aspect, ground, aerial or on the lead. This is not a blight on O-Mac either who should never have been left on him after the 5th goal. The biggest question mark here is why it took Goody so long to wake up and make the change.

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

In hindsight I think T-Mac had to go back with instructions to Frost to play off his man a tad further than usual to kill any long balls coming in or fill the hole DV.

I would roll the die and play a reasonably in form Pedders (provided he is in form) for O-Mac against any bullocking type key forwards from here.  O-Mac is not a KPD and we will continue to pay the price when played that way. Not his fault, the FD just needs to finally realise he is limited to playing on the next biggest / best defender wherever possible.

The longer that match went on on Saturday the more confident Hawkins grew.  You could see it with every score or score involvement.  He knew he had him beat in every aspect, ground, aerial or on the lead. This is not a blight on O-Mac either who should never have been left on him after the 5th goal. The biggest question mark here is why it took Goody so long to wake up and make the change.

We should have choked up the corridor, and pressured them to keep them wide around the boundary.

What we did was, open ourselves up like a Self-Autopsy.

But on the other hand I'm glad we tried to win the game, instead of trying to play safe all that quarter. (go into our shells)  I'm glad we backed ourselves...to win it.

The truth is, either way will work,,, if we're good enough at either.

The thing is, we are too old, and too young at the same time... and inexperienced.

BIG BUTT is, we are learning on the job, and learning well.

These boys are growing each game,  and we are doing much better than last year,,, when you consider all the injuries we have had since pre-season, and prior..

The injuries we copped last year, by being too hasty, are still bugging us right now, and are costing us games.

• Like 1

Provided both Harmes and Oliver are fit to play.

Out: JKH

In: Kent

Kent was in some great form before he injured his hamstring earlier in the year. I'd like to see him have another shot in the seniors.

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demon Jack said:

Provided both Harmes and Oliver are fit to play.

Out: JKH

In: Kent

Kent was in some great form before he injured his hamstring earlier in the year. I'd like to see him have another shot in the seniors.

but he has been pretty average at casey since coming back. Agree that he has way more upside than JKH but needs to show something at the lower level.

might all have to wait until we see the "fit list "

5 hours ago, DV8 said:

image4863

Jamie still works out at the same gym and he coaches a local VAFA team. He is still in top nick and kills the rowing machine but I suspect his footy career has left him with some dogey knees and playing footy would not appeal. he did pull on the boots a few years ago whencoaching at St Bedes Mentone when al their ruckmen were injured. He couldn't walk for a week.

• Like 1