Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mr Jones

H_T

57 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i wouldn't call it poor, that's too much of an exaggeration. he was below his 'normal' standard

but.....remember he is not playing as an inside mid and the club still needs to find his 'best' next position to play. he still has a year or so left in him if properly managed

club needs to handle his twilight years intelligently, we don't want another junior mcdonald

I certainly agree with you about junior McDonald.

2 hours ago, A F said:

That shirt front was in the last. If you're going to have a ping, at least know what you're talking about.

A shirt front ... Please.
And I'm not judging on 1 game.

Edited by Fork 'em

Very harsh critics here. Disgraceful to be honest 

Nathan Jones has been a great player who has been loyal when others such as Frawley walked away when it got too tough

Jonesy has consistently been in our best and held up the midfield through years of struggle

His heart is huge.  His commitment strong.  His accuracy for goal and skills are right up there.  He kicks on left and right. His tackling is A grade. 

256 games

100 games as skipper

he proudly wears the Number 2

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Very harsh critics here. Disgraceful to be honest 

Nathan Jones has been a great player who has been loyal when others such as Frawley walked away when it got too tough

Jonesy has consistently been in our best and held up the midfield through years of struggle

His heart is huge.  His commitment strong.  His accuracy for goal and skills are right up there.  He kicks on left and right. His tackling is A grade. 

256 games

100 games as skipper

he proudly wears the Number 2

Let's be honest. No team was demanding his services as teams were Frawley as a KPD. Jones would barely crack the top 22 of another top 8 side now, let alone one in 2012-2014. 

Jones is a clubman and lifetime Demon. We love him for that, but is there a spot for him should be land, say, a Gaff, and are at full strength?

• Like 1

Gee there’s a lot of BS in this thread. If you reckon Jones wouldn’t get a game in every single other side in the league bar none, your opinion isn’t worth the magnetic disc it is written on.

I’m sure some people on this forum try so hard to be “balanced” and “unbiased” that they see gremlins that aren’t there. Whatever problems we have, Jones ain’t one of them.

• Like 8

On 7/22/2018 at 12:17 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

His shirt front tonight was fabulous, it’s just a pity that type of application has been so rare. 

Fox highlighted some footage of Jones’ poor application and jogging in the final minute yesterday morning, it looked terrible. And I think Lewis was the other one 

• Like 4

There are separate issues here.

No one ( I believe) is questioning the loyalty , dedication or pride of Jones. Most deserving of admiration.

He is NOT, nor is ANYBODY, above scrutiny . It's well within scope when evaluating  performances to put Chunk under the microscope as much as anyone.

No one gets a golden ticket.

For a seasoned player that does so much well....would it really hurt to look where ya kicking ? 

• Like 2

On 7/15/2018 at 9:38 PM, Wiseblood said:

I get it, Einstein.  I get the topic is Jones and I even agreed with HT that we should be able to have a discussion like this about any player on our list, regardless of their standing.  Posters here have potted everyone from Hogan to Lewis to Petracca to Tyson to O Mac and so on this season for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes it's worthwhile (Tyson and Petracca), other times it's a knee jerk reaction (Lewis and Hogan).  Jones falls into the knee jerk reaction part.  I just don't think it's worth it's own thread... yet. 

You disagree which is fantastic.  Go and buy a trophy and stick it on your mantle to celebrate.  That's the last I'll say on it with you.

Perfect summary .....knee jerk reactions but I also think he is carrying a knee or some leg complaint which is contributing to his form.  No rest for him because of course Viney out........

Jones wasn't the reason we lost on Sat.    Easily in our top 5 on the night and top 10 for the season.

Has he lost half a yard this season and that's impacting his game generally? Probably.  Have some of the other younger mids passed him along the way and become more dangerous and damaging.  Yup.  But that's a good thing and part of our evolution surely? Something Jones would be more than pleased to see I'm sure.  

Does he bomb too often?  Yes.  Can he improve his kicking and start hitting up more leads coming inside 50 this late in his career?  Probably not at this point.

Is he giving off too many suicide handballs vs previously?  Might also be a case of the drop in speed and feeling more heat in congestion more often.

So what to do?  Time to find one of our greatest clubman and most courageous co-captain a new role and spend less time through the mid field and from what I've witnessed this is already happening...gradually. 

Where to from here?  IMHO I would be sending him to a HF role with occasional relief through the middle for genuine insiders like Viney & Clarry when being rested.  But minority of the time mid, majority HF.

One thing a coach loves is a player that's going to be fully committed every time he runs out and prepare as a top pro every time.  Yes the Jones boy has limitations and a number of flaws but he more than makes up for it overall.  Still plenty of good football left but will need to find a niche that involves less time through midfield.  And a significant change this late in career wouldn't be easy.

He's one of the greatest stories for this club in the last decade and one of the few shining lights during what was a very gloomy period.

The Jones boy might not be A grade but he IS the glue that has held this club together on the field for arguably a decade now.

Just as he has lifted this club from the doldrums with many years of sweat, max effort and toil, it's time we all get behind him folks and lift him up on our shoulders to greater heights!

Stick fat guys.

Go the mighty Demons!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gOLLy said:

Great thread.

Been calling this for 3 years only for a angry mob mauling me.

Jones to the magoos.

Love these 'I called it before, I think I'm right now so grovel at my feet, peasants' sort of posts. 

You're wrong and you know it. Someone starting a thread doesn't make you right.

Your last sentence is funny, though, so I'll give you that. 

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

And Spargo jogging and Hogan’s poor effort and ANB little toe poke and Bernie Vs punch and Tracs bomb and Garlett snap and Jettas contest and .... you could be so judgemental in hindsight 

very poor to take shots at one of our true leaders and champions 

All true, but the captain needs to lead by example.

Jones to me is sill best 22, just shouldn’t be captain.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

All true, but the captain needs to lead by example.

Jones to me is sill best 22, just shouldn’t be captain.

His leadership on field is appalling, normally the first one to put hands on hips with head down and mope around. What you said is what I agree with, he's got a spot, he's never been A grade and he's not a leaders A-hole.

I admire his loyalty, I think he's a nice bloke but the sooner we move on from the Jones era the better we will become, the club needs to manage it correctly but the game has quickly caught up with him.

Edited by MSFebey
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MSFebey said:

His leadership on field is appalling,

This is just BS.

And I’m calling you out on it. 

Whilst I’ve stated I’d like more from him, he was admirable against the Cats mids. Sitting Scott Selwood on his arse n one instance, looking after his mate Oliver who amassed 40 -  who was literally tearing Geelong a new one. 

Sitting in the stand - apart from the last 15 minutes and the frustration that proceeded post game when Geelong fans were turning feral and Dees fans anger - I was immensely proud of our team.

This team right now might not know what is possible for them, but if they fricking will click with a strong psyche, to finish off teams in close games - just sit back and watch what happens. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Love these 'I called it before, I think I'm right now so grovel at my feet, peasants' sort of posts. 

You're wrong and you know it. Someone starting a thread doesn't make you right.

Your last sentence is funny, though, so I'll give you that. 

Recovery is the key for Jones, recovery from each stint of effort and a series of smaller stints. Lewis is in the same category, only worse off - it is an age thing, muscular and O2 tirednesses/lactic acid saturation. There is no place on the ground these days for recuperational resting; that is the difficulty. Played off an on the bench, the recovery can be achieved and thus, it is yet another factor in the strategic (and highly valuable) use of the bench for 'sudden impact' players. Without doubt, Jones is still one of these types of players and bloody effective, at that.

Lewis is less impacting, less recoverable, as well and thus, less effective.

My thoughts are that Jones needs to be the first cab in the rank for the weekly bench allocation. We must think of the bench in new ways, as well. It is not a 'sin bin' for lapsing players or those selected in the team after someone better is listed as onfield. It should be a place for the application of instant changes to the game - refreshed players with dynamic skills that may be well utilised at any given moment in a game.

These categories of player value and bench utilisation really characterise Jones' latter years and football value. The 'reserves' on the bench are saturated with big picture, current images of the state of the game at any given point, assessing and measuring the performances of the team as a whole, additionally in specific positions/plays, and in the assessment of opponents' strengths and weaknesses onfield. In Army terms, I'd see Jones as the perfect assault pioneer flanking and impacting the state of the game at key points of application. 

6 minutes ago, H_T said:

This is just BS.

And I’m calling you out on it. 

Whilst I’ve stated I’d like more from him, he was admirable against the Cats mids. Sitting Scott Selwood on his arse n one instance, looking after his mate Oliver who amassed 40 -  who was literally tearing Geelong a new one. 

Sitting in the stand - apart from the last 15 minutes and the frustration that proceeded post game when Geelong fans were turning feral and Dees fans anger - I was immensely proud of our team.

This team right now might not know what is possible for them, but if they fricking will click with a strong psyche, to finish off teams in close games - just sit back and watch what happens. 

Do as you like, he has a long history of being the first to put hands on hips and mope around with head down when the going gets tough plus goes missing at the same time. What you liked of him on Saturday is what we should expect from all our players. Why didn't Jones chase in dying seconds and why was he still in our forward half, wouldn't the kids be more inspired seeing him direct the backline late in a match, instead we had Jetta try and spoil by himself with Spargo and maybe Garlett metres away.

As for the team, I'm also proud of them, their "effort" has been there all year apart from one game. We were much better at icing games and under last year than we are this year, why? I don't know.

Edited by MSFebey
  • Love 1