• Latest Podcast: Hawthorn

Sign in to follow this  
Farmer

Hogan in the Ruck

I was delighted to see Jesse doing Ruck work in the forward line. First time?

Exactly as Schwarz used to do. It enables Max to stay behind the play. Against a top line ruckman it will lead to some problems but I really I like the move. And Hogan plainly enjoyed it

• Like 3

Tom.McDonald as the second ruck was terrific like another midfielder.

• Like 1

Max rested behind the forward stoppages against the Saints as well, but Weeds did the ruck work.

An effort to pull the backline zone back to avoid the costly over the back goals that plagued us against Port and to open the forward line.

I did enjoy Jesse doing the ruckwork. Boundary throw ins aren't very dangerous and they are an opportunity for talls to get physical. Every big guy needs the occasional chance to push and shove and demonstrate they are strong. Hoges really looked to have regained some of his physicality tonight which is vital for the rest of the year. 

Plus Max gets an extra bit of on ground rest.

• Like 3

He actually looked like he enjoyed it as well, he wasn't great but most of those just end up in repeat stoppages or rushed kicks anyway even with the best rucks (although Maxy can pull out a beauty ever once in a while). Another better tactical move this week.

It was something which was easy to do in this match as Freo had no second ruck at all.  Tom was played further up the ground and we had set up a huge wall, including Max outside the 50 when the ball was in the forward line.

It was a good move, but we may not see it reproduced in the same way in future games.