Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 16

Demonland

Picking both Spargo and Garlett is a bit of a surprise.

Suggests a change in direction by the FD.                                                                                                                                           I hope it's not an "all or nothing", "last throw of the dice" approach by us. You know the sort of thing - what we have been doing doesn't seem to be working, so let's try plan C and see if that works.

I don't believe the problem lies up forward at all and while it appears inefficient (forward entries to goals scored ratio) we have actually been kicking plenty of goals even when we lose.                                                                            Frosty won't play forward, he's there to bolster the back line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, binman said:

Sure it was a cowardly action. The distinction i'd make is as far as i am aware it is the only time he has he has hit someone like that. If he does it gain i'll be the first to agree he is coward

Leigh Matthews was a coward. 

Fair call. I think its safe to say he won't do it again. Its career suicide these days 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Regards Jeffy. A surprising selection to say the least.

It's often put that players are sent back to work on areas and refine their role. Maybe Jeff has. It might just not appear it to us.

Maybe it's last chance saloon ?

Maybe the FD is simply desperate for someone to do something ....other than play Superman in the fwd line ?

Maybe it's all of the above ?

There are those types among us that always play poorly at vfl but better in the afl. Garlett is one of them. He is and always will be inconsistant.

• Like 2

Re: Frosty, Stretch and to a lessor extent Jeffy (as he fully knows what's required) let's remember they haven't played any senior footy for over 10 weeks.  Will all need a couple of weeks to acclimatise to the pace/pressure and match fitness required to perform effectively at AFL level.  Still need to see a solid contribution but not expecting miracles in their first game back after such a long time away.

Fingers crossed they can bring something decent over the coming weeks and become solid contributors in a strong finish to the year.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Speaking of selection of players to travel to Darwin, I have heard that Demonland's very own cross dressing royalty will be in attendance at the game. Rumour has it he/she will be part of the half time entertainment, perhaps involving music and interpretive dance....

No ping pong balls this year, or do they fall under the "interpretive dance" section?

33 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Fair call. I think its safe to say he won't do it again. Its career suicide these days 

As it should be. Terrible to think some of the brain injuries footballers must have received from king hits. I reckon Cameron was lucky to escape with just 5 weeks for his recent hit on Harrison? who had bleeding on the brain days afterwards. 

On Jeff. I only saw the first quarter last week but saw him lay 3 tackles, including one in the defensive 50, and a a 50+ metre sprint to lay a bump resulting in our first goal. Perhaps this is more what the footy department were after.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, binman said:

As it should be. Terrible to think some of the brain injuries footballers must have received from king hits. I reckon Cameron was lucky to escape with just 5 weeks for his recent hit on Harrison? who had bleeding on the brain days afterwards. 

Completely agree. I'm sick of hearing the same excuse every time someone does that - "they were protecting themself".

Absolute horseh!t - leading with your elbow mid-air is not how you brace for impact. Tucking your elbow in and absorbing the impact through your shoulder is how you brace for an impact. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been knocked on their arse enough times in life. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Completely agree. I'm sick of hearing the same excuse every time someone does that - "they were protecting themself".

Absolute horseh!t - leading with your elbow mid-air is not how you brace for impact. Tucking your elbow in and absorbing the impact through your shoulder is how you brace for an impact. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been knocked on their arse enough times in life. 

And in any case he wasn't the one needing protection in that contest. He was running at the ball and the other fella back with the flight. That was a shocking hit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nascent said:

On Jeff. I only saw the first quarter last week but saw him lay 3 tackles, including one in the defensive 50, and a a 50+ metre sprint to lay a bump resulting in our first goal. Perhaps this is more what the footy department were after.

This. 

Hopefully the nuffs read this. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Very interesting. I missed the first quarter but watched the last 3 and thought he was quite ordinary. But so was mostly everyone and the game in general

• Like 1

Picking Spargo and Garlett in the one side has merits. If Spargo shows that he is asset this time around that may be the catalyst that Jeffrey needs. Jeffrey doesn't play well in the reserves,yet dropping him for one match only is enough punishment . 

Once again we have picked a revolving "door" player and dropped one. Frost in ,Tyson out. When are these type of players going to step up?  I am still waiting for Petracca's break out year !!!!! or was that break out moment.  

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

Yes I definitely saw some repeat efforts from Jeff that looked promising last week. That continual hunting of the opposition or footy with his pace and intensity will be what everyone will be looking for this week.

• Like 1

Far, far better looking side, but it genuinely feels like Goodwin has no idea how to pick a team at the moment. Guys like Petty get picked from nowhere on a whim; other blokes (eg Tyson) come in and are played out of position; others (eg J.Smith) are given one role at Casey and another in the senior side. 

Frost should have been  in the side for a month already, but we we have tried J.Smith & Petty ahead of him, and both have failed. Garlett was sent back to Casey three months ago, didn't do anything in that time, and is now back. Spargo has played one game in a month at any level, but is back in favour for some reason. I'm not saying any of these are bad selections this week, but what are the messages that are being given to the players?

In the past five weeks we have gone Smith --> Pedersen --> Smith --> Weideman --> nobody for the second ruck / third forward rule. I'm no fan of Smith or Weideman, and Pedersen didn't grab his chance on QB, but surely all of these blokes need more than one week to find their feet. Hopefully it is Frost backing up Gawn in the ruck, but more likely we'll try to destroy our forward line by using Tommy Mac. 

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

One of the most lethal fast bowlers in history! Hit Terry Jenner on the head with a rip snorting bouncer once!

Tell you something funny about john Snow.

When Ray Illingsworth's eleven (Pommy Captain) came to Melbourne a week early for the Christmas Test, John Snow rented a large limousine of the day, and had an expensive 'stick-on' magnetic sign made for the side of the car. It read: 'John Snow, interational cricketer'. Well, Snow then proceeded to drive this sign and vehicle all around Melbourne for a week before the Test Match, starting on Boxing Day. His reputation as a demon fast bowler had the Melbourne public shaking at the knees.

The whole of Australia was terrified by the reputation of John Snow that this created; he was so fast, so reckless, so accurate, so likely to damage the Australian batsmen, serious injury awaited those who must endure the John Snow bouncer and his blinding pace! Plus, he had a 'mean streak' to match this Test Match preamble. 

On the day of the Test, at 11 am, the England team was assembled onfield at the 'G. Out walked two timid, nondescript, modest but tidy Australian batsmen. It looked like one of them was to open as the batting face as John Snow confidently caught the ball tossed to him by Illingworth, the Captain, and Snow began his 250 metre (yards in those days) stomp to his run-up mark.

He turned, spat on the ground, and began his menacing run-up gaining pace each step of the way, intent on damage to a batsman ... and that batsman was the mild-mannered Keith Stackpole.

Well, whack! It was a boundary. Stackpole went on to hit some 26 runs off that opening over of six balls (instead of the 8 ball overs of today). Snow's bowling never recovered in that Test series and in other international games. From all reports, it seems as though he didn't hire motor cars, limousines and use singwriters again.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, poita said:

Far, far better looking side, but it genuinely feels like Goodwin has no idea how to pick a team at the moment. Guys like Petty get picked from nowhere on a whim; other blokes (eg Tyson) come in and are played out of position; others (eg J.Smith) are given one role at Casey and another in the senior side. 

Frost should have been  in the side for a month already, but we we have tried J.Smith & Petty ahead of him, and both have failed. Garlett was sent back to Casey three months ago, didn't do anything in that time, and is now back. Spargo has played one game in a month at any level, but is back in favour for some reason. I'm not saying any of these are bad selections this week, but what are the messages that are being given to the players?

In the past five weeks we have gone Smith --> Pedersen --> Smith --> Weideman --> nobody for the second ruck / third forward rule. I'm no fan of Smith or Weideman, and Pedersen didn't grab his chance on QB, but surely all of these blokes need more than one week to find their feet. Hopefully it is Frost backing up Gawn in the ruck, but more likely we'll try to destroy our forward line by using Tommy Mac. 

There’s definitely some concerns there, I feel the same and have all year. Let’s just hope it clicks and we start winning again and everybody is happy within the list 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, poita said:

Petty was picked due to good form at Casey, form he kept up over many weeks.  It wasn't done on a whim.  Joel Smith has not been a failure either as he's still in the side and playing his role well.  He's no Lever, but he has a real crack, is athletic enough to easily keep up with his man and does all the team things first.  His mistakes are minimal.  So, a failure he is not.

Won't argue the Tyson one.  I don't think he really has a position in our side anymore.  With Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw etc all playing the contested ball winning role, Tyson is too one paced and not skilfull enough to play a wing/half forward/half back role for us.

Teams not selected by Goodwin alone ;)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Petty was picked due to good form at Casey, form he kept up over many weeks.  It wasn't done on a whim.  Joel Smith has not been a failure either as he's still in the side and playing his role well.  He's no Lever, but he has a real crack, is athletic enough to easily keep up with his man and does all the team things first.  His mistakes are minimal.  So, a failure he is not.

Won't argue the Tyson one.  I don't think he really has a position in our side anymore.  With Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw etc all playing the contested ball winning role, Tyson is too one paced and not skilfull enough to play a wing/half forward/half back role for us.

I agree on Smith. He has a crack from what I have seen (which in the last 3 weekw is not a lot given my penchant to turn the TV off and start sulking)

18 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

giphy.gif

Not a bad gif but I prefer this one..

tumblr_m5smeySncS1qzd4zyo1_500.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Tell you something funny about john Snow.

When Ray Illingsworth's eleven (Pommy Captain) came to Melbourne a week early for the Christmas Test, John Snow rented a large limousine of the day, and had an expensive 'stick-on' magnetic sign made for the side of the car. It read: 'John Snow, interational cricketer'. Well, Snow then proceeded to drive this sign and vehicle all around Melbourne for a week before the Test Match, starting on Boxing Day. His reputation as a demon fast bowler had the Melbourne public shaking at the knees.

The whole of Australia was terrified by the reputation of John Snow that this created; he was so fast, so reckless, so accurate, so likely to damage the Australian batsmen, serious injury awaited those who must endure the John Snow bouncer and his blinding pace! Plus, he had a 'mean streak' to match this Test Match preamble. 

On the day of the Test, at 11 am, the England team was assembled onfield at the 'G. Out walked two timid, nondescript, modest but tidy Australian batsmen. It looked like one of them was to open as the batting face as John Snow confidently caught the ball tossed to him by Illingworth, the Captain, and Snow began his 250 metre (yards in those days) stomp to his run-up mark.

He turned, spat on the ground, and began his menacing run-up gaining pace each step of the way, intent on damage to a batsman ... and that batsman was the mild-mannered Keith Stackpole.

Well, whack! It was a boundary. Stackpole went on to hit some 26 runs off that opening over of six balls (instead of the 8 ball overs of today). Snow's bowling never recovered in that Test series and in other international games. From all reports, it seems as though he didn't hire motor cars, limousines and use singwriters again.

I don''t know which John Snow you are talking about, but surely it isn't this John Snow:

"The highlight of Snow's Test career was the tour of Australia in 1970–71 where he was easily the best bowler of either side, taking 31 wickets (22.83) to help England regain The Ashes. He was repeatedly warned over his short-pitched bowling, but the Australians had no real answer to Snow's pace and fire. In the First Test at Brisbane, Bill Lawry won the toss and decided to bat on a good wicket, but became Snow's 100th Test victim, caught by Alan Knott for 4. Australia reached 418–3, but Snow took four late wickets to dismiss them for 433, ending with 6/114. He took 4/143 in the Second Test at Perth, having Australia 17/3 before they rebuilt their innings. Both these Tests were draws, and the Third was abandoned, Snow playing in the first One Day International as a result. The decisive Test was the Fourth at Sydney where Snow took his best Test bowling of 7/40. He soon dismissed Ian Chappell, Ian Redpath and Greg Chappell, but Australia recovered overnight to 66/4 when he had Keith Stackpole caught out, followed by Rod Marsh for a duck. After Garth McKenzie retired hurt—hit in the face by a Snow bouncer—he bowled John Gleeson and Alan Connolly for ducks and Australia were all out for 116, Bill Lawry carrying his bat throughout the debacle. It was a superb piece of fast bowling from Snow, aggressive, hostile and decisive and England won by a huge margin of 299 runs, their biggest victory in Australia since 1936–37 to go 1–0 up in the series."

"At Sydney, Terry Jenner retired hurt when he ducked into a short delivery from Snow[60] in the first innings. Umpire Lou Rowan warned the fast bowler for intimidatory bowling yet again, but Snow and Illingworth objected strongly, the captain saying "That's the only bouncer he's bowled" Snow took a wicket in his first over, but smashed his finger on the wooden boundary fence trying to catch a six off Keith Stackpole. He was taken to hospital for an operation under general anaesthetic to reconstruct his shattered finger bones.[69] England's spinners did the job, dismissing Australia for 160 to win by 62 runs and regain The Ashes while Snow was on the operating table. He recovered in time to join in "the champagne-filled, beer-laden, hangover-inducing rejoicings of Sydney".[70] Snow's 31 wickets (22.83) was the most by an England bowler in Australia since Harold Larwood's 33 wickets (19.51) in 1932–33. No England bowler after Snow has taken 25 wickets in a Test series in Australia.[71]"

That's from Wikipedia and apologies for the length of the quote. If you are talking about 6 ball overs in those days, you must be referring to the first One Day International which was played after the Melbourne test was abandoned.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Not a bad gif but I prefer this one..

tumblr_m5smeySncS1qzd4zyo1_500.gif

Ha as long as we aren't heading back to the future McQ.  Oh wait...what... :wacko:

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, xarronn said:

I don''t know which John Snow you are talking about, but surely it isn't this John Snow:

"The highlight of Snow's Test career was the tour of Australia in 1970–71 where he was easily the best bowler of either side, taking 31 wickets (22.83) to help England regain The Ashes. He was repeatedly warned over his short-pitched bowling, but the Australians had no real answer to Snow's pace and fire. In the First Test at Brisbane, Bill Lawry won the toss and decided to bat on a good wicket, but became Snow's 100th Test victim, caught by Alan Knott for 4. Australia reached 418–3, but Snow took four late wickets to dismiss them for 433, ending with 6/114. He took 4/143 in the Second Test at Perth, having Australia 17/3 before they rebuilt their innings. Both these Tests were draws, and the Third was abandoned, Snow playing in the first One Day International as a result. The decisive Test was the Fourth at Sydney where Snow took his best Test bowling of 7/40. He soon dismissed Ian Chappell, Ian Redpath and Greg Chappell, but Australia recovered overnight to 66/4 when he had Keith Stackpole caught out, followed by Rod Marsh for a duck. After Garth McKenzie retired hurt—hit in the face by a Snow bouncer—he bowled John Gleeson and Alan Connolly for ducks and Australia were all out for 116, Bill Lawry carrying his bat throughout the debacle. It was a superb piece of fast bowling from Snow, aggressive, hostile and decisive and England won by a huge margin of 299 runs, their biggest victory in Australia since 1936–37 to go 1–0 up in the series."

"At Sydney, Terry Jenner retired hurt when he ducked into a short delivery from Snow[60] in the first innings. Umpire Lou Rowan warned the fast bowler for intimidatory bowling yet again, but Snow and Illingworth objected strongly, the captain saying "That's the only bouncer he's bowled" Snow took a wicket in his first over, but smashed his finger on the wooden boundary fence trying to catch a six off Keith Stackpole. He was taken to hospital for an operation under general anaesthetic to reconstruct his shattered finger bones.[69] England's spinners did the job, dismissing Australia for 160 to win by 62 runs and regain The Ashes while Snow was on the operating table. He recovered in time to join in "the champagne-filled, beer-laden, hangover-inducing rejoicings of Sydney".[70] Snow's 31 wickets (22.83) was the most by an England bowler in Australia since Harold Larwood's 33 wickets (19.51) in 1932–33. No England bowler after Snow has taken 25 wickets in a Test series in Australia.[71]"

That's from Wikipedia and apologies for the length of the quote. If you are talking about 6 ball overs in those days, you must be referring to the first One Day International which was played after the Melbourne test was abandoned.

No worries, the underdog was the point of the exercise unreferenced but remembered in this part by the clogging grey matter. 

6 hours ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

Maynard is a delist.  We have 15 of his type, even if he does learn how to play footy.

Hahaha just because you're in the football department doesn't mean you're any good.  Have you thought that every MFC Football Department over the last 12 years have known what they were doing, because they must if they spend so much time with the players?   Spose Neeld knew best too did he?

Goodwin's selection mistakes have cost us 3 games this year.  Blind freddy could see Maynard and Wagner did nothing in the pre-season to justify a game against Geelong in what was an 8 point game.  The teams we selected against Port and St Kilda have been the biggest, slowest sides you could select, and to not play a quick crumbing forward when Richmond play a dozen of them raises some serious questions over the football department.

The big problem with the Maynard selection was that he was used to tag Ablett... who got like, a million possessions.

• Sad 1