Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Steele Escapes Penalty for Gut Punch

Demonland

Don't care about the non week, in fact prefer it. 

But I do find the lack of a free kick a joke, especially when the umpires were pulling ridiculously soft holding the man frees all the time at centre bounces. We seem to be a big victim of those frees despite doing no different to any other side.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Yung Blood said:

I think a fine is what it deserved. Players are shoving chests every game and Steele went a bit low and caught Clarry by surprise. Low impact blah blah move on.

I am more interested in the fact that it was the easiest free kick for the umpires to call all day. Hits before the bounce like that are called often. The umpire at the centre bounce had his back turned but there were at least two other field umpires watching what occured. I watched them sort of flinch and then relax as the umpire bounced the ball but it felt like more then enough time. I'd like cheap hits before the bounce in the centre to be something umpires look at.

Maybe it can be rule of the week.

I prefer that the umpires dont award frees for this sort of thing and for the MRO to deal with it after the game. I think what annoys us supporter's are the soft, technical free's that gift the opposition goals when they should let the play continue. The extra field umpire has made things worse by picking out even more obscure frees while adding an extra interpretation to the play. 

• Like 3

Three field umpires and no-one saw it? Give me strength.

Deserved at least a free kick and a more severe sanction than a fine. This was not just a common garden variety punch.

This was a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage by taking out key mid fielder with a huge reputation for clearances at a centre bounce at a critical time in the match. Note how Clarry struggles to get to the contest.

For $1,500 at a time it would be worth taking out Dusty or Josh K at a critical moment in a final. What an atrocious precedent by the MRP and the the AFL.  Shame on them again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

BAMF - clearly YOU have never received a totally unanticipated punch in the guts.  Next there will be folk suggesting that Oliver is a serial diver (which is what you are implying) and maybe should be fined or even suspended for that.

Yes, instead they just give them a Brownlow, (couple of million bucks) and the same bloke was at it again this weekend gone.

23 minutes ago, chookrat said:

I prefer that the umpires dont award frees for this sort of thing and for the MRO to deal with it after the game. I think what annoys us supporter's are the soft, technical free's that gift the opposition goals when they should let the play continue. The extra field umpire has made things worse by picking out even more obscure frees while adding an extra interpretation to the play. 

I agree with you regarding over umpiring in game play, but I would have thought calling out cheap shots behind play or when play has stopped would benefit more as players will be less likely to continue the nastier ones like gut punches. I think the majority of players who niggle aren't too bothered knowing they're just going to cop a fine during the weeks if they give a cheap one to effect a players ability physically and psychologically as long as they don't give a free kick. I think its one of very few good reasons to add the extra umpires to stomp out the dirtier things that happen behind play and make players pay at the time of incident.

Edited by Yung Blood
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, tiers said:

Deserved at least a free kick and a more severe sanction than a fine. This was not just a common garden variety punch.

This was a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage by taking out key mid fielder with a huge reputation for clearances at a centre bounce at a critical time in the match. Note how Clarry struggles to get to the contest.

For $1,500 at a time it would be worth taking out Dusty or Josh K at a critical moment in a final. What an atrocious precedent by the MRP and the the AFL.  Shame on them again.

Yep. I like your give me strength line.

Why not ruin the game more by introducing VAR for centre bounces only. An eye in the sky might deter players from the blocking and gut punching. Concentrate on the pairings prior to the bounce.

It would have taken 5-10 seconds to relay the message down to the central ump, no longer a delay than a recalled bounce since the other 2 geniuses missed it. 

Edited by Dee Zephyr

Its assault and had nothing to do with the football game. 

It's only purpose was to gain an unfair advantage (cheat): to take out an unsuspecting opponent before the contest.

I expect the "grow up outs a contact sport" or "stop being a soft [censored]" response here but this had nothing to do with toughness or physicality in the game of football. Accidental or incidental contact in game should not be punished.  I even think they are too harsh on negligent contact when it is part of winning the ball.  Punching someone off ball? Never acceptable. 

Absolutely should be a free kick and a suspension. No one really thinks the $1500 fine is a deterrent do they?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, tiers said:

Three field umpires and no-one saw it? Give me strength

Why should their seeing anything make a difference either way? You can actually lay hands on an ump, and even though the rule book says it's a reportable offence, no exceptions, the ump will laugh and chuckle along like it's tippity run at the beach.

It's not like their seeing or not seeing anything has any influence on the decisions they make, so roll with it.

38 minutes ago, deanox said:

Its assault and had nothing to do with the football game. 

It's only purpose was to gain an unfair advantage (cheat): to take out an unsuspecting opponent before the contest.

I expect the "grow up outs a contact sport" or "stop being a soft [censored]" response here but this had nothing to do with toughness or physicality in the game of football. Accidental or incidental contact in game should not be punished.  I even think they are too harsh on negligent contact when it is part of winning the ball.  Punching someone off ball? Never acceptable. 

Absolutely should be a free kick and a suspension. No one really thinks the $1500 fine is a deterrent do they?

This. Everything else is peripheral. Don't punch people. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

FFS this makes me angry. if you look at where that punch is aimed its right on clarrys  solar plexus. Which, if youve ever been punched there is both painful and a bit debilitating. Honestly..how the f@uck does he get away with that??! Imagine if it were the other way around. Im really sick of the shite this club and especially this player puts up with. Wish SOMEONE in this, What often seems like an overly polite, [censored] weak club would speak up for us. This is the trouble with taking AFL money I suppose. 

I watched clarry walk off the field at the end of the game.

He stopped two or three times and seemed to be dry reaching and in serious discomfort.

A couple of his team mates stopped and helped him to come off the field.

50m penalties for players running within 15m of the mark.

Free to gut punch all day.

This club needs to grow some balls and come outto protect their players and hold the poor umpires to account.

Edited by Brownie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tiers said:

This

the afl Is not going to do anything

Kinda wishes jones had waltzed up to Steele and absolutely floored him

tahts how desperate things are

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I watched clarry walk off the field at the end of the game.

He stopped two or three times and seemed to dry reaching and in serious discomfort.

A couple of his team mates stopped and helped him to come off the field.

50m penalties for players running within 15m of the mark.

Free to gut punch all day.

This club needs to grow some balls and come outto protect their players and hold the poor umpires to account.

This

do it in the media and wear the fines

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

exaggerated? he was caught totally unawares, didn't see it coming, check the video

not even sure it was open handed either

most annoying was not one maggot saw it and paid a free even though one would have to be blind

daisycutter you are naïve and too charitable thinking that none of them saw it

of course they did .... ah...MFC .....play on.  They won’t say anything. 

44 minutes ago, timbo said:

This

do it in the media and wear the fines

Exactly. Who cares if we cop a $5k fine.

All publicity is good publicity and having a coach or ceo speaking up for our players, club and supporters would be brilliant. When did this last happen at Melbourne? 

• Like 1