Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 15

Demonland

12 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Anyone notice Seb Ross having a picnic as a spare man inside our attacking 50 during the 3rd? What was done about it? Nothing.

Perfect time to throw Trac deep forward and make Richardson react. At worse, Ross would have been moved as he wouldn’t be able to match Trac for strength, instead he was allowed to sweep the ball away constantly to the wings.

This drove me nuts at the game, I was 5 rows back in M54 section and could see this, yet we did nothing? Worse, we kept bombing the ball in. ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Biffen said:

I cant lay the blame at any one player's feet but if I did he would not be standing on them, he would be bald ,wearing number 6 ,with terrible disposal and be well past it.

have a go you mug name him 

8 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Can we please bring back Roosy. 

Is he the bloke who picked Goodwin ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

It’s not just the “bigger things in life”, though there is that. It is an emotional passtime - I know that, and I buy in. I honestly felt like the world was ending in the third quarter when it became clear we weren’t going to turn it around. It is painful.

It’s just the way we carry on like we’re the only team with issues. Every single team has stuff they don’t do well, that’s why every team has lost at least twice. All the teams have now dropped games they ought not have. We thought we were top 4 ready. Well we’re not. We are a middle side, which is reasonable for this stage of our development, and this is what middle sides look like. Flawed.

Then there’s the motherhood statement makers. We’re *never* going to be good. We’ve been this way for *50 years*. No, we’ve been this way for this year. We were worse than this every year for the last 10, and after that you’ve gone well in to irrelevance.

Then there’s the ones who blame the club for ruining their lives. “Oh, my son won’t even go for Melbourne now. I have to go to the footy by myself.” My kids hate footy too, and I tell you that I am 100% responsible for that, because of the way I used to carry on like a pork chop when we were poor, which when they were little, was always. Instead of blaming the club, think instead of the experience you create for your kids when you throw an adult tantrum over the outcome. That’s true whether your kids are young or adults. Nobody wants to be around a sour grump.

People just need to get a bloody grip.

Just one point Nasher!  We played a side who have won 2 games and they just scraped home against GC.  Everyone has a right to seriously vent after losing this one.  This should of and must of been a win!!!

• Like 7
  • Angry 1

After tipping both losses against Colonwood and Port, I had us winning all the next 3... Saints Freo and Doggies.

Well, that serves me right for arrogantly believing we were a better team than the last couple of games indicated. What right did i have as a MFC supporter to expect that our team was better than a rabble who had only won 2 games this year... I thought we would win comfortably, mainly because StK are rubbish and we are not.

Now i would not be remotely surprised if we get rolled by a depleted Freo. OFC i also now expect the Dogs to crush us "Out the back" when we return to Victoria because we wont have any "run" in our legs. Trust = destroyed.

Lose either of the next 2 games and we can kiss finals goodbye AGAIN. 

To be still losing games to a team like StKilda is [censored] disgusting. Hang your head in shame MFC.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Redleg said:

If he said that he should quit. If he doesn't recognize that the structures, game plan and selection lost it today, with some big help from the umpires, then he is not an AFL standard Coach. 

Whoever said he was ?

Hawai 50 !

8 hours ago, beelzebub said:

???

Unlike many others you're off point.

There ARE top teams...and we're nowhere near them.

Keep it up..i enjoy your humour.

You here all week ??

he's just jerkin his gherkin !

8 hours ago, Optimus D said:

I wonder how many clubs do put in an official "please explain" over the course of the season? And if and when they do, why don't they  communicate this to the masses to show that they also agree with state of umpiring of the game. No one has the balls in the commentary field or in club land to take this issue on, probably fearful of fines and banishment by the AFL. The AFL would most likely suppress the knowledge of such instances to protect their precious brand.  We lost today because we played poorly, and the state of umpiring of AFL in not in good hands.

This

5 hours ago, Soidee said:

Just one point Nasher!  We played a side who have won 2 games and they just scraped home against GC.  Everyone has a right to seriously vent after losing this one.  This should of and must of been a win!!!

That's exactly right. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jaded said:

I hate it when every week supporters who come here to vent, get told by some to get a grip because “it’s just a game” or “there’s more to life than footy”... it’s like telling a person having a panic attack to calm down. Soooo helpful. 

Years ago, nobody questioned the despair we felt. Now the new hipster [censored] on Demonland is for people to tell other people that we should appreciate the progress we’ve made, and stop complaining about poor performances. Relax man, drink a chai latte, things are fine. Because being mediocre is way better than being the worst team in history I guess. 

Bloody hell, there is a lot more to life than this game and this club, absolutely. But when I pay $600 a year, because I want to ensure I get finals tickets, and we literally have not made finals since I was a damn teenager (when I could drink the pain away without the 3 day hangover), then I will come here after a loss and respectfully tell you and your salt lamp to get stuffed. 

Now I gotta adult up and go to bed because I have an 80 hour work week coming up. Goddamn reality. 

Paragraph 1: Didn’t say that. Please don’t put quote marks around things that aren’t quotes. In fact, I even said in my post specifically that that *wasn’t* what I was saying. I design my entire life around watching football.

Paragraph 2: Didn’t say that either. Come on, me, a hipster? ? If my mum would still buy me t-shirts, I’d probably still wear them.

Paragraph 3: By all means, rant away! I was fuming too and believe it or not, do understand the pain and share it.

Paragraph 4: that’s one thing I will say isn’t good for you and you shouldn’t do :)

I’m sorry if I come across as being insensitive to people’s frustration or despair. As I said, in the heat of the moment I’m right there with you. I was disappointed against Collingwood and Port but I’m very dirty about this game in particular. Check out my pre-game comments - I laughed off everyone who said we might lose - imagine the shock I got?

It’s just the completely irrational rants, hours afterwards, that comes from some quarters that drive me spare. I don’t think people *have* to make the logic jumps they do. Perhaps it’s as you say: uncontrollable like a panic attack, but I’m not sure. In many cases it would be learned behaviour. I’m no psychologist though so I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 2

For all the supposed talent on our list I still have no idea whether we're actually any good or not....watching us lose the unloseable at the MCG is starting to bring on PTSD! It was actually less painful when we were complete rubbish.....(maybe the players deal with expectation even worse than the supporters)

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Our game plan sucks at the MCG. Play way too high. Too often our weakest players are left one out in vulnerable positions - our poor defensive structures are being exploited by oppo coaches. Our defence is easily the worst part of our game. Same as last year. Too many here moaning about criticism of our defence and the players in it but the stats don;t lie. We let through the most scores of any side in the top 8 from i50s. One on one we are useless in defence. Last year we were 18th for scores by opp'n inside 50 and defensive one on ones. Nothing has changed. Blind Freddie can see that we have few winners there. Jetta and Hibbo play good games often but virtually no others. Salem can be creative but our talls are useless. Carlisle looked like a superstar.

Gawn excluded, our mids go missing regularly. Too much left to Clarry. Tyson is a bust. I love Jones but his days in the centre square are over. Maybe he needs to be our sweeper in defence. Yes we win the clearances generally  but we are not damaging teams, And on turnovers there is little or no defensive coverage. Our set ups at bounces are bewildering.

Our future 'stars' Hogan, Petracca are too often unsighted. Overrated big time.

Our fwd crumbers are like Hannan dont do anywhere near enough. Spargo will surely replace him. Fritsch is being used to defend too often. Melkshams form has fallen off a cliff. What TF is our fwd plan? It looks like a one trick pony at the moment. Get the ball in as quickly as possible? Great for our i50 stats but hopeless for efficiency. And there is no coordination between crumbers and flyers. Hardy anyone over the back allowing defenders free reign to clear the ball from our fwd 50.

Aside from Gawn and TMac it appears there are few players that can take a contested mark. Our body work in marking contests is generally appalling and time after time you could see our players jogging through the corridor as Aints players swept the ball up the wings - just like Collingwood. 

Our season is as good as over. We can't defend so it matters little if we make finals. We will go nowhere playing finals the way we are playing. Roos must cringe at our defensive efforts. The Swans with their 10 or 11 rookie listed players nail their defensive system more often than not. We have no idea - Chaplin has a lot to answer for as does Goodwin.

Goodwin seems to have no idea how to fix things and is desperately slow to react in game.

Lots of people here squealing and jumping down the throat of anyone who dared suggest caution after winning six in a row against the bottom sides but the Emperor has no clothes now and the reality is we are a very average footy side with a lot of overrated talent. Our leaders (Max excluded) are a joke and trying to defend the players after this effort just demonstrates your fan boi status.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

A point that is missed by many is that StKilda, for three quarters, played by far their best football of the year.  We often have a very one-eyed view of matches as we're a single club supporter website, we often see the outcomes of matches purely based on whether we played well or not.  StKilda ran hard, tackled hard, spread and took advantage of their opportunities.  They played with a harder edge and enthusiasm for the contest.  They won it, we didn't lose it.

Yes they did and that's the part that is so bloody frustrating. They have been absolute rubbish and they played their best because we allowed them to. We kicked the first 3 goals. Kick the next 3 and they would've gone back into their shells again. But nah, we let them kick 6 of the next 8 or something and allowed them 7 goals in the 2nd quarter (umpire assisted but that doesn't matter). It happens repeatedly against weaker teams our players think they can bag the 4 points without playing the game, it's a pathetic mindset for professional athletes.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, layzie said:

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. I got nothing against the people who say there is more to life and it’s just a game, heck I wish I could walk out of the G after a loss and be laughing and ‘up’ like some Dees fans but I’m not. I’m dead set gutted and yes it ruins my day/start of the week. Dramatic? Maybe, but honestly I look forward to little else on the weekend right now. 

80 hours is a rough slog to get through just to see another opportunity, makes me not feel so bad about my 50 hours I guess. 

It doesn't ruin my day/week but I do find myself questioning why I wasted the day trekking to the game when I could've sat home and watched on the tv if I wanted and used the travel time on other stuff (like mucking around with the kids). I was already feeling a bit crook and tossing up whether to go, chances are next time I'll just say stuff it and stay home.

• Like 2

This game will be our North in 2017 equivalent. We lost to them twice but the second time, we needed to win to really establish ourselves in the 8 and with GWS to follow. We then scraped home wins against St Kilda, Port and Brisbane despite dominating all three, and had to turn it up against the Pies. But I always look back to that round 19 loss as the catalyst for our missing the finals. As soon as the final siren rang I just knew that this was the game we would look back to. We always look back to the Pies game but it's games like Round 19 2017 and yesterday that really kill us. In 2016 we lose to Essendon and Carlton. Win those and we play finals. Last year it was North  x2. This year the battle for the 8 is even tighter and we can't even beat St Kilda on the MCG, where they never play.

We are now 2-6 of our last 8 at the MCG. That is not finals caliber. Not by a long margin.

Let's be frank. Warning signs were there against Geelong, Brisbane and Hawthorn. 

Edited by praha
  • Like 4
  • Angry 1

14 hours ago, Redleg said:

But ignore his form and look at his abilities. I think he had 9 tackles yesterday. We had no one applying F50 pressure, that is why they ran out easily and scored on the rebound nearly every single time. Do you think he wouldn't have got one goal at least?  Remind me what we lost by today.

If you understand how it is we WON'T select Jeffy ( and others) you'll go a long way to getting at the heart of the matter.

This game ( as have others ) was lost before it started.

Its not like we have a rubbish list. We don't. Theres quite enough talent , raw and experienced, to make more than a fist of any game against anyone.

So why don't we ?  Well...the best of ingredients will still result in slop if you don't have a good recipe...or decent cook......and if you have neither....?? 

Is it a coincidence that since the seasons mid point we've fallen away ? In a sense it is because its given every other club a good opportunity to see our one dimensional approach and they're all now applying their own form of remedy.

Many here expressed concern prior to the game about our structures, about how easy it's becoming to stifle our scoring....and how easily you can counter against our 'defence'.... again all before the bounce. It was like we wrote a script and the game emulated it

Our fwd 50 is a mess.....by design ...not the players so much ( though a few dont help things much )

Our back 50 is quite often non existent...as its all up the ground !!

Our middle is like a engine roaring away with a stuffed transmission...a lot going on and going nowhere.

I have to say it again. Structures, game plan, roles, instructions....this is all the Coachs' doing.

• Like 6

After a good nights sleep I feel even more angry about this loss because it all came about due to stupidity. Clarries brain fade, 50 metre penalties, Lewis’ lazy kicks on the backline, Tyson’s kicking effiency at 38% for most of the match,  Brayshaw not lowering his eyes, refusing to make Seb Ross accountable.

Basically for the past 3 weeks we have been dumb and lazy and it will cost us dearly. So typical of this Club.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It doesn't ruin my day/week but I do find myself questioning why I wasted the day trekking to the game when I could've sat home and watched on the tv if I wanted and used the travel time on other stuff (like mucking around with the kids). I was already feeling a bit crook and tossing up whether to go, chances are next time I'll just say stuff it and stay home.

I wish it didn't ruin my day/week. If I could be a bit more like that it would certainly be better. Unfortunately not :( Hopefully this changes one day.

• Like 2

Came all the way from Northern nsw for this game. It will be a long time before I bother attending again.

TMAC was crook and shouldn't have played.

I watched Weed jog to contests when the Saints were rebounding. How does a young bloke being given an opportunity to prove himself behave this way?

Hogan did the same. I think it's time to trade him while he still has currency. There's no second efforts by either of them.

Petty was completely stuffed by half time.

Down 4 key position players for the game. No wonder we lost.

Umpiring was ridiculous and we should grow some balls and call it out.

Casey has won 7 in a row. Is it time for Rawlings to take the Reins?

Btw. I've never jumped on this forum to demand trades for players and to sack coaches but geez we were starting develop a strong team and it's now quickly collapsing to a pre Roos era again.

Edited by Brownie
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Couldn't give a continental

We're like one of those mid Western American carnivals - only pop up once in a while and everyone wins a prize

Spent time with the boy, ate a hot dog that resembled an alien from the Mother Ship and the vodka and citrus was cold and refreshing

Great day

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Came all the way from Northern nsw for this game. It will be a long time before I bother attending again.

I watched Weed jog to contests when the Saints were rebounding. How does a young bloke being given an opportunity to prove himself behave this way?

Hogan did the same. I think it's time to trade him while he still has currency. There's no second efforts by either of them.

Btw. I've never jumped on this forum to demand trades for players and to sack coaches but geez we were starting develop a strong team and it's now quickly collapsing to a pre Roos era again.

I am sorry. I think we can agree, seeing your mum aside, it would have been preferable to measure my soil pH and hit golf balls. I hate hindsight.

Epic call on Hogan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Mate...so sorry youve had that experience. 

You've spoken saliently.

At seasons end, if not before , some hard choices need to be made....right across the FD...thats staff through all the list. Too many NQR and CBB currently.

The ship's heading for a reef currently....and many except most on board can see it.

I can see how its hard to get enthusiasm to see a game ....if thats what we get.

Cheers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

Paragraph 1: Didn’t say that. Please don’t put quote marks around things that aren’t quotes. In fact, I even said in my post specifically that that *wasn’t* what I was saying. I design my entire life around watching football.

Paragraph 2: Didn’t say that either. Come on, me, a hipster? ? If my mum would still buy me t-shirts, I’d probably still wear them.

Paragraph 3: By all means, rant away! I was fuming too and believe it or not, do understand the pain and share it.

Paragraph 4: that’s one thing I will say isn’t good for you and you shouldn’t do :)

I’m sorry if I come across as being insensitive to people’s frustration or despair. As I said, in the heat of the moment I’m right there with you. I was disappointed against Collingwood and Port but I’m very dirty about this game in particular. Check out my pre-game comments - I laughed off everyone who said we might lose - imagine the shock I got?

It’s just the completely irrational rants, hours afterwards, that comes from some quarters that drive me spare. I don’t think people *have* to make the logic jumps they do. Perhaps it’s as you say: uncontrollable like a panic attack, but I’m not sure. In many cases it would be learned behaviour. I’m no psychologist though so I’ll leave it at that.

You shouldn't spend so much time defending yourself Nasher. I hate it when every week supporters who come here to dissect a game get crowded out by those who want to vent because they can't control their logic and emotions. And thoughtful discussion seems to enrage them even more. If you're not angry you must be a loser. Okay.   

5 minutes ago, Skuit said:

You shouldn't spend so much time defending yourself Nasher. I hate it when every week supporters who come here to dissect a game get crowded out by those who want to vent because they can't control their logic and emotions. And thoughtful discussion seems to enrage them even more. If you're not angry you must be a loser. Okay.   

I gave Jaded a reply because I’m a fan, I respect her views and we’ve known each other on here for a long time. The opinion of most others is water off a duck’s back, don’t worry!

• Like 1