Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 15

Demonland

Kicking the first three was a bad sign. Would have been better if the saints had kicked the first three.

We won't start winning again until we're out of the eight.

We are a head case that would exasperate Freud. (But wouldn't he love the ongoing fees.)

Edited by Mazer Rackham
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Goodwin and the brains trust need to have a good hard look at themselves. The same issues that have been costing us games all year still haven't been addressed. We are the easiest team to transition against in the AFL. I actually feel sorry for the likes of Petty, Oscar, Hibberd & Jetta today when the ball is coming in at the speed it does every game. 

The midfield is full of ball winners with not enough 2 way run. The defence is getting sliced up as they have barely any protection in front of them to slow the speed of ball coming into the D50. 

Whilst Petty may come good I think it's too early for him on today's evidence. Frost is most likely not the long term option but I think we have to lump him in the backline at the moment. We don't have much of a choice.

Stretch, Spargo and Baker should all be considered for selection next week. I'm reluctant to say Vince but he would have been better than Tyson today. 

Vince always a better option (even in ordinary form) than Petty.  Frost also.

Spargo should never have been dropped for Tyson and is easily ahead of Hannan (and was before being dropped) form wise as well.  Spargo's pressure i50 and two way running was well ahead of either.

- Frost for Vince (if rolling the die)

- Spargo (no Tyson)

- Bugg / Jeffy for Hannan

Two weeks too late even if Goody wakes up and the changes come next week.  Asleep at the wheel.

2 hours ago, Purple77 said:

This game reeks of Round 23.

Respect the opposition FOR GODS SAKE!

Nah we kicked the first 3 and thought "another easy day at the office". Then completely switched off until it was too late, same story every year.

• Like 4

Having Viney tagging is really odd especially what he was able to do in the last. That’s mistake 1 of a few today by the coaches. 

In another note the umpiring is poor this year. Is there prior opportunity or not? And how is it that so often a player is tackled ball flies free and it’s called play on except when its called in correct disposal the rest of the time. It’s not consistent and can make watching very frustrating. Then there’s the in the back decisions when the person getting tackled takes a forward dive. That free against Salem ruined a great contest. Then there’s the frees in the ruck contests? Unexplainable by everyone. 

Why play Petty?

Why play Tyson?

Why not let McDonald play back when we’re getting rolled?

not criticisms just questions

• Like 1

This year is feeling eerily like last year. A few easy wins against clubs out of form, bathwater being drunk all round; the bye comes and bye bye to our form. The losing culture returns and soon we’ll drop out of the eight, to end up 11th or 12th at the end of the season- or worse 9th again!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juzzk1d said:

Honestly, not playing Vince, Frost, Garlett and or Spargo is due to Goodwins cockiness thinking that we’re a club that can win games without our best 22 on the park and gift games to players who try hard instead of talent. I don’t give a [censored] if Garlett isnt doing well in the VFL. Hannan had 4 disposals and zero marks.

Out: Petty, Tyson, Hannan, Weideman

In: Frost, Stretch, Garlett, Vince

Maybe add another to this list... Petracca! Needs a rocket!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Win4theAges said:

We are puss, bunch of front runners. Every friggen team develops all these kids so quickly. Why is it such a struggle for us? 

Another good question!

• Like 1

Where has our forward pressure disappeared to? It is our back bone, St Kilda waltzed out of our forward line without so much as a whimper from our medium forwards...ALL DAY.

We looked slow, lethargic and directionless yet again going forward. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and failing (bombing it inside 50 to a pack of 15), and we have been doing it all year. How can Goodwin not have fixed this by now? 

I'm livid with this team atm.

Edited by Mondê
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Harmes certainly improved late, but is generally part of the problem. Spends too long failing to impact games when we're losing.

Agree with Tyson, he has to go.

Most fail to impact when we're losing Titan.  Harmes at least had a dip and helped keep us in the game, giving us some run and decent link play (6 score involvements) through the middle.  He also does a fair bit of two way running.  My main issue with him today though was he just didn't get to enough players to pressure and tackle.  Had more of the boys brought this the result might have been different (lack of pace generally....need to inject some speed across the turf into this mob).

Did a few ugly things along the way but who didn't?  We also played a bog ordinary team so not really rating anyone's performance that highly.  Just saying he wasn't our worst.   The Cap, Brayshaw and Hibb some of our biggest offenders today.

1 hour ago, A F said:

There was a play in the final quarter that completely summed up our defence under Goodwin. It was ridiculous.

Our press was so high that our last defender, besides the anchor outside 50, was within 40 metres of our own goal. Sure enough, they chipped the ball and broke to 50 and took an uncontested mark. 

Our organisation defensively was simply not AFL level. Even leaving Savage (their best kick) by himself 45 metres out and a St Kilda player chipping to him from a set shot. This was basic stuff and it happened more than once. Hibberd was the offender on this occasion, but Jetta, Smith and Petty all positioned themselves poorly for most of the day. And to top it off, Oscar McDonald gets beaten for body strength one out by a St Kilda player doubling as a little person (Jack Steven). This is not entirely on Goodwin, but our game style puts undue pressure on our backs IMO, by pressing far too high.

How have we not yet addressed the ridiculously high press on the MCG? Today it was as high as it's ever been.

YES and this is something Roosy would not have put up with! Hnmm

• Like 1

Disgusted. Apart from Gawn and Viney ( in the last ) the whole side was pathetic. I cannot remember a defence so inept as ours was today. I am now going to question the coach which I have refrained from so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roost It said:

Having Viney tagging is really odd especially what he was able to do in the last. That’s mistake 1 of a few today by the coaches. 

In another note the umpiring is poor this year. Is there prior opportunity or not? And how is it that so often a player is tackled ball flies free and it’s called play on except when its called in correct disposal the rest of the time. It’s not consistent and can make watching very frustrating. Then there’s the in the back decisions when the person getting tackled takes a forward dive. That free against Salem ruined a great contest. Then there’s the frees in the ruck contests? Unexplainable by everyone. 

Why play Petty?

Why play Tyson?

Why not let McDonald play back when we’re getting rolled?

not criticisms just questions

Re the umpiring, it was appalling at one stage I thought I was watching the world  cup such was the over officiating, but we lost the game through our own sheer incompetence. 

Oliver is off the boil and that is showing weaknesses in our mid field and the lack of midfield dominance is exposing our weaknesses on the outside and down back. The backline is a shadow of its former self during the 6 game winning streak. Except for Hibberd I don’t think we won a one on one contest all day.

And as for the forward line, they may as well be called the Forward Squadron, Everyone flies for every inside bomb, no one down. And what happened to forward pressure? They ran the ball back out of our 50 at will. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nasher said:

His main point in the post match today was that we failed to run defensively. That we’re capable of doing it (ref: the 5 in a row) but it’s not ingrained yet. There was no double speak in there at all.

It’s not a bad quite as exciting as “structure! Selection! Drinking own bath water! Team balance! Another failed season!”, but the message is there for anyone willing to stop thinking they’re the senior coach for long enough to listen.

For him to say that it's not ingrained in them is a disgrace. If this is true I have serious doubts in his ability as a coach. Under Roos he had the team playing defence first football. Since Goodwin has taken over our scoring has exploded to the point we are now the highest scoring team in the comp. Can't he see that it has consequences at the other end of the ground and we are unbalanced defensively? We have to tighten up behind the ball or this season is lost. 

• Like 3

I think Petty was a mistake we didn’t respect the opposition enough and paid the price . Frost would seem to be a better option at this time. Still we need to be playing well 5 or 6 weeks out from the finals . The last two years the winner has come home strong . Max was great to watch today

Our season went down the gurgler the moment Levers ACL gave way. Our backline is all over the place, so easy to score against. Our season is cooked. Another false dawn, on to 2019.

Just now, Mondê said:

Where has our forward pressure disappeared to? It is our back bone, St Kilda waltzed out of our backline without so much as a whimper from our medium forwards...ALL DAY.

We looked slow, lethargic and directionless yet again going forward. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and failing (bombing it inside 50 to a pack of 15), and we have been doing it all year. How can Goodwin not have fixed this by now? 

I'm livid with this team atm.

He dropped Smith, who had the best i50 tackling average in the team till last week and replaced with Wied (ranked 10th).

He dropped Spargo, ranked 7th, and replaced with Tyson ranked 22nd (probably isn't spending as much time up forward as Spargo...but probably isn't bringing the heat either when he is).

Pressure dropped further as a result.

The top 5 players for average tackles i50 (up to last week).....

1.  T. Smith

2.  Jeffy

3.  Pedders

4.  Bugg

5.  Hannan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I defended the club last week but this match was a disaster. Got cocky after the first 10 minutes thought we had it in the bag, how arrogant are these players??? Goodwin didn't learn after Brayshaw tagged in the Pies game and had zero influence, the fact you would make the player with the most heart and leadership (coming right back into form may I add) sit back and tag a player who is faster than him is ridiculously ignorant. 

I guarantee if we played hard, quality football then the umpiring wouldn't seem as bad, they have a sixth sense for weak mentalities and punish you accordingly. Would struggle to see a bad decision in our 6 game streak. 

Laughable that I was worried about missing the first and second week of the finals on holiday....Might see the players there now too.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JV7 said:

Our season went down the gurgler the moment Levers ACL gave way. Our backline is all over the place, so easy to score against. Our season is cooked. Another false dawn, on to 2019.

Adelaide are shite without him too.

He really is a genius footballer...  what a loss that was for us.

11 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

For him to say that it's not ingrained in them is a disgrace. If this is true I have serious doubts in his ability as a coach. Under Roos he had the team playing defence first football. Since Goodwin has taken over our scoring has exploded to the point we are now the highest scoring team in the comp. Can't he see that it has consequences at the other end of the ground and we are unbalanced defensively? We have to tighten up behind the ball or this season is lost. 

Yes, obviously he can see that it has consequences, that’s why he mentioned it as the reason for the loss. Do you reckon Goodwin says “nah don’t worry about running defensively, boys. Just attack all the way, she’ll be right”.

We didn’t run two ways under Roos either. We ran defensively but were impotent in attack. To me it doesn’t matter which one we do poorly - that only dictates whether the game we lose is a high scoring or low scoring one.

We all hoped that we were a side that consistently did this. We obviously aren’t yet. It’s frustrating. I get that. I’m not ready to make the jump from “not there yet” to “never will be”, two years in to the coach’s tenure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

We missed Spargo more than Stretch.  After last week I was sure he would come in. 

The decision not to include Spargo or at least Garlett after last week was baffling.

The umpiring was abhorrent but funnily enough probably not as bad as last week. Some of the decisions were disgusting, there must be an agenda at play (not necessarily against us) because if not and the umpires are truly that incompetent then the competition is screwed. It's like that time the NFL refs went on strike and the replacement refs stunk it up. Except our umpires aren't full-time and this bunch of mentally challenged muppets is the best we've got.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Adelaide are shite without him too.

He really is a genius footballer...  what a loss that was for us.

Doedee has been fine for them.

Their problems stemmed from A graders missing through injury (plus a terrible camp)

Our problems are with our game plan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, america de cali said:

Been playing slow and tired footy since we beat Adelaide. The circumstances and reasons why  are different but this is seeming a carbon copy of last season results wise. 

Playing games in the NT must stop. 

Any advantage given to the opposition must cease, if this club is ever going to be serious. 

Are we about making a cash ? grab or priming ourselves at a Premiership?