Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 15

Demonland

3 minutes ago, Beetle said:

If anyone happens to come across a Melbourne scarf in the [censored] trough of the Corner Hotel...it’s mine.

Fell off my shoulders as I was taking a leak and I wasn’t about to bend down and wrap it around my neck again.

Capped off a great day at the G.

When the club asked for members to donate old scarves to give out to newbies today, I’m not sure that’s the receptical you were suppose to put it in!  ?

(Though that’s where it belongs because we stink)

1 hour ago, Tony Tea said:

Fremantle lost Fyfe and Sandilands today, which at least gives us a chance next week. But I can't see us winning another game if we jag a win against The Dockers.

Great,  Yet another game we go in thinking we've won before the bounce 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, —coach— said:

When the club asked for members to donate old scarves to give out to newbies today, I’m not sure that’s the receptical you were suppose to put it in!  ?

(Though that’s where it belongs because we stink)

Well if it makes you feel better, my mate threw his 2015 scarf off the second level of the southern stand after the game in absolute disgust.

hopefully it has now found a new home..

• Haha 2

Tyson is pretty sweet on the wing though. Really gives us something we don't have on the wide expanses of the G. 

And Viney as a tagger is an ingenious move by Goody. Why wouldn't we take our best ball winner away from doing what he does best? 

Zone defence also. Goody is on a winner here. Saints just kicked a score of 119. Awesome viewing for free flowing footy fans. I for one love seeing opposition goals. 

And the instruction for our mids to onnnnllly kick to a contest where at LEAST three forwards including two keys are spoiling each other worked wonders today. They nailed it. 

I can only hope Bugg and Frost come in next week and both play back flank to really give Freo the best chance of kicking a hundred point plus score. 

Onwards and upwards Dees. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

After having pizza with my daughter for dinner, followed by the movie Moana (her choice, but a surprisingly enjoyable flick nonetheless) it gave me plenty of perspective. There is far more to life, and better things for that matter, than exploding on the internet over a loss. 

It's a frustrating game, but we still have chance upon chance to make amends, finals still well and truly in our frame. I'll back the team to respond and stick with that. 

It’s not just the “bigger things in life”, though there is that. It is an emotional passtime - I know that, and I buy in. I honestly felt like the world was ending in the third quarter when it became clear we weren’t going to turn it around. It is painful.

It’s just the way we carry on like we’re the only team with issues. Every single team has stuff they don’t do well, that’s why every team has lost at least twice. All the teams have now dropped games they ought not have. We thought we were top 4 ready. Well we’re not. We are a middle side, which is reasonable for this stage of our development, and this is what middle sides look like. Flawed.

Then there’s the motherhood statement makers. We’re *never* going to be good. We’ve been this way for *50 years*. No, we’ve been this way for this year. We were worse than this every year for the last 10, and after that you’ve gone well in to irrelevance.

Then there’s the ones who blame the club for ruining their lives. “Oh, my son won’t even go for Melbourne now. I have to go to the footy by myself.” My kids hate footy too, and I tell you that I am 100% responsible for that, because of the way I used to carry on like a pork chop when we were poor, which when they were little, was always. Instead of blaming the club, think instead of the experience you create for your kids when you throw an adult tantrum over the outcome. That’s true whether your kids are young or adults. Nobody wants to be around a sour grump.

People just need to get a bloody grip.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SFebey said:

What frustrates me and this happened so much last year and still happens to this day is when the opposition has the ball in our backline it’s like watching them have a training run all the way up to their goals, you can see what’s going to happen before it does, surely this is a coaching error if it’s been happening for a year and a half?

I mentioned this in another topic and was ridiculed by a Goodwin apologist. It’s never been addressed this ground hog day goal . Over and over again it happens and Goodwin cannot , will not fix it . I’m thinking he is not learning or he is far too stubborn or thick! 

• Like 1

People saying the backline is a shambles need to look at the broader context.

Yes, it fell apart today, but we spent the first 4 weeks of the season adjusting to Lever, and the past 3 trying to cover his absence.

That's half the season where the backline has been in a state of flux.

Unless we can find the right mix back there soon, the Lever injury is going to prove very costly. 

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

Unless we can find the right mix back there quickly, the Lever injury is going to prove very costly. 

I'm convinced one of two things need to change.

Either Goody needs to change the way we defend as a zone, or he needs to find players who can execute that particular set up and play it well. 

Why am seeing Jetta on Membrey at times? Oscar McDonald on Gresham? Why? How does this happen? 

The same [censored] has been happening since he took over. It's a disgrace. I don't think posters fully understand how bad the saints are and have been this year. We just allowed them to kick a score of 119! Ha! 

Incredible. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Umpire Please said:

Can anyone else confirm that the MFC put an official “please explain” request into the AFL umpiring department last week after the Port Game? If it’s true it explains the biases performance today from those maggots. I hope we go again because we seem to never win the 50 50 decisions. Not saying we didn’t play well but there were 6 decisions today that gave them goals/ scoring opportunities directly influenced by the maggots.

I wonder how many clubs do put in an official "please explain" over the course of the season? And if and when they do, why don't they  communicate this to the masses to show that they also agree with state of umpiring of the game. No one has the balls in the commentary field or in club land to take this issue on, probably fearful of fines and banishment by the AFL. The AFL would most likely suppress the knowledge of such instances to protect their precious brand.  We lost today because we played poorly, and the state of umpiring of AFL in not in good hands.

• Like 2

A point that is missed by many is that StKilda, for three quarters, played by far their best football of the year.  We often have a very one-eyed view of matches as we're a single club supporter website, we often see the outcomes of matches purely based on whether we played well or not.  StKilda ran hard, tackled hard, spread and took advantage of their opportunities.  They played with a harder edge and enthusiasm for the contest.  They won it, we didn't lose it.

Just BTW, who is responsible for the kick in strategy? What a shambles. We didn't manage two kicks in a row from the kick in to a Demon all game. However our brilliant opposition, one of the leaders in the AFL, went from kick in to goal, without us touching it several times. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

A point that is missed by many is that StKilda, for three quarters, played by far their best football of the year.  We often have a very one-eyed view of matches as we're a single club supporter website, we often see the outcomes of matches purely based on whether we played well or not.  StKilda ran hard, tackled hard, spread and took advantage of their opportunities.  They played with a harder edge and enthusiasm for the contest.  They won it, we didn't lose it.

Another common theme among our opposition.

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

Another common theme among our opposition.

In previous years, yes.  Lowly teams have fancied their chances against us for the last decade.  

Can't think of another example from this year though...

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

It’s not just the “bigger things in life”, though there is that. It is an emotional passtime - I know that, and I buy in. I honestly felt like the world was ending in the third quarter when it became clear we weren’t going to turn it around. It is painful.

It’s just the way we carry on like we’re the only team with issues. Every single team has stuff they don’t do well, that’s why every team has lost at least twice. All the teams have now dropped games they ought not have. We thought we were top 4 ready. Well we’re not. We are a middle side, which is reasonable for this stage of our development, and this is what middle sides look like. Flawed.

Then there’s the motherhood statement makers. We’re *never* going to be good. We’ve been this way for *50 years*. No, we’ve been this way for this year. We were worse than this every year for the last 10, and after that you’ve gone well in to irrelevance.

Then there’s the ones who blame the club for ruining their lives. “Oh, my son won’t even go for Melbourne now. I have to go to the footy by myself.” My kids hate footy too, and I tell you that I am 100% responsible for that, because of the way I used to carry on like a pork chop when we were poor, which when they were little, was always. Instead of blaming the club, think instead of the experience you create for your kids when you throw an adult tantrum over the outcome. That’s true whether your kids are young or adults. Nobody wants to be around a sour grump.

People just need to get a bloody grip.

I hate it when every week supporters who come here to vent, get told by some to get a grip because “it’s just a game” or “there’s more to life than footy”... it’s like telling a person having a panic attack to calm down. Soooo helpful. 

Years ago, nobody questioned the despair we felt. Now the new hipster [censored] on Demonland is for people to tell other people that we should appreciate the progress we’ve made, and stop complaining about poor performances. Relax man, drink a chai latte, things are fine. Because being mediocre is way better than being the worst team in history I guess. 

Bloody hell, there is a lot more to life than this game and this club, absolutely. But when I pay $600 a year, because I want to ensure I get finals tickets, and we literally have not made finals since I was a damn teenager (when I could drink the pain away without the 3 day hangover), then I will come here after a loss and respectfully tell you and your salt lamp to get stuffed. 

Now I gotta adult up and go to bed because I have an 80 hour work week coming up. Goddamn reality. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Collingwood also played their best 4 quarter game against us according to Buckley,  Hawthorn probably had their best game against us too. It's a worry that we can bring out the best in opposition. Are we being outcoached , I'm not sure but quite possibly. 

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but I'm pretty sure Stkilda are the ONLY team to have come off the bye and beaten a team who played the previous weekend .

#whyus 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I hate it when every week supporters who come here to vent, get told by some to get a grip because “it’s just a game” or “there’s more to life than footy”... it’s like telling a person having a panic attack to calm down. Soooo helpful. 

Years ago, nobody questioned the despair we felt. Now the new hipster [censored] on Demonland is for people to tell other people that we should appreciate the progress we’ve made, and stop complaining about poor performances. Relax man, drink a chai latte, things are fine. Because being mediocre is way better than being the worst team in history I guess. 

Bloody hell, there is a lot more to life than this game and this club, absolutely. But when I pay $600 a year, because I want to ensure I get finals tickets, and we literally have not made finals since I was a damn teenager (when I could drink the pain away without the 3 day hangover), then I will come here after a loss and respectfully tell you and your salt lamp to get stuffed. 

Now I gotta adult up and go to bed because I have an 80 hour work week coming up. Goddamn reality. 

And in this very post, you've done the same thing you just complained against. Get over yourself. 

14 minutes ago, Jaded said:

They put themselves on pedestals and like the sound of their own Fugazi. Best way for them to handle defeat is to shame others. Makes them feel superior.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, america de cali said:

They put themselves on pedestals and like the sound of their own Fugazi. Best way for them to handle defeat is to shame those that feel the pain.

I’m just really greatful for the journey man

13 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. I got nothing against the people who say there is more to life and it’s just a game, heck I wish I could walk out of the G after a loss and be laughing and ‘up’ like some Dees fans but I’m not. I’m dead set gutted and yes it ruins my day/start of the week. Dramatic? Maybe, but honestly I look forward to little else on the weekend right now. 

80 hours is a rough slog to get through just to see another opportunity, makes me not feel so bad about my 50 hours I guess. 

• Like 3

On 6/27/2018 at 1:20 PM, John Demonic said:

Massive danger game coming off a gruelling battle vs a fresh and emboldened saint team coming off a bye. Attitude will be the most important factor at the first centre bounce and opening 10 minutes. Expectations have shifted now to these being winnable games, I just hope the boys don't think it will be easy. They will try and exploit us with speed and pressure, let's match them and bring a finals like do or die approach. Obvious points, but we've all seen what happens when they're neglected.

Hope the Mac brothers are fit after last week

I guess I sadly nailed this one in the pre-match, much to the mockery of the few comments that followed.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

Anyone notice Seb Ross having a picnic as a spare man inside our attacking 50 during the 3rd? What was done about it? Nothing.

Perfect time to throw Trac deep forward and make Richardson react. At worse, Ross would have been moved as he wouldn’t be able to match Trac for strength, instead he was allowed to sweep the ball away constantly to the wings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

Collingwood also played their best 4 quarter game against us according to Buckley,  Hawthorn probably had their best game against us too. It's a worry that we can bring out the best in opposition. Are we being outcoached , I'm not sure but quite possibly. 

Conceding so many goals and being so easy to score against has a double effect - the obvious one being it's harder to win the more goals you concede, but the less obvious one being the effect it's having on our opponent's confidence. Nothing gets a team going more than kicking goals - they celebrate goals with their teammates, the players can see their ball movement paying off, the crowd get involved and most importantly they start believing they can score regularly and win the game.

You could just see St Kilda's confidence rising as they kept on banging through easy goal after easy goal. This from a team that has regularly struggled to score more than 7 goals this year.

At the moment it's not surprising that teams are delivering their best against us because of our shambolic defending.

• Like 3