Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 15

Demonland

8 minutes ago, Call Me What You Will said:

You simply cannot afford to play 1.5 quarters of decent football, especially when you are up against those posturing maggots in the second and third quarters as they relentlessly ground our players (and us supporters as well) into the ground. I’m sure that very strange man, Troy Pannell would have gathered his apprentice fools 11 and 14 around him as they strode off the ground at half time. Job half done lads! We are untouchable! That decision just on the break and then the 50 metre that gifted the goal turned out to be quite costly. Haven’t seen Pannell for a while in AFL - a few of the clowns must have rung in sick this week.

I am very angry with our boys today, but I am angrier with the clowns who stole the show. When is someone going to call them into account? 28, 11 and 14 today, 15 and “Adelaide Boy” 11 last week. The list just goes on.

We need to go back to 2 umpires per game, maybe even 1! The less of them on field he better!

6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Unlike others, I don't subscribe to this "top teams" theory and I think our best is better than most. 

???

Unlike many others you're off point.

There ARE top teams...and we're nowhere near them.

Keep it up..i enjoy your humour.

You here all week ??

• Haha 1

I'm a simple soul. I've just got one simple question. " Why can't we just kick the ball to the advantage of our players once in a while ?" 

I've picked a bad week to give up crack cocaine !!!

• Like 3

Have vented about the maggots - so, now the lads - Max brilliant all day and Angus early. Bailey F is an absolute star. Harmes OK. Nev had a shocker. Unlike him. I thought Salem was very good. Yes, Petty too early - lot of love for Frost, but not sure. Tyson going backwards, Cannot carry Mitch Hannan any longer. Dumb long run ups and didn’t get near clunking any. T-Mac clearly should not have played. 

I am not giving up the season yet, but something urgent needs fixing before we head to the tropics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

Maybe somewhere in all there he had an idea.  Tbh its not working and either his mentors and/or his under coaches haven't the 'stuff'

But push comes to shove it's Goody's game....and it sux

We are puss, bunch of front runners. Every friggen team develops all these kids so quickly. Why is it such a struggle for us? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

We did not lose due to effort more so stupid selection, stupid moves and stupid execution. 

Playing no crumber cost us the game. 

Playing Tyson once again on a wing cost us the game.

Playing Viney as a tagger for three quarters cost us the game. 

Gawn was immense as was Viney's last quarter but we need to go and find some dash.

Agree & Petty not ready!

TMac still injured!

• Like 1

Is there any club that manages to piff off its supporters more than Melbourne? Absolute disgrace, season over. It's not that we can't win big games, it's worse than that,we can't win the games we need to.

There was a play in the final quarter that completely summed up our defence under Goodwin. It was ridiculous.

Our press was so high that our last defender, besides the anchor outside 50, was within 40 metres of our own goal. Sure enough, they chipped the ball and broke to 50 and took an uncontested mark. 

Our organisation defensively was simply not AFL level. Even leaving Savage (their best kick) by himself 45 metres out and a St Kilda player chipping to him from a set shot. This was basic stuff and it happened more than once. Hibberd was the offender on this occasion, but Jetta, Smith and Petty all positioned themselves poorly for most of the day. And to top it off, Oscar McDonald gets beaten for body strength one out by a St Kilda player doubling as a little person (Jack Steven). This is not entirely on Goodwin, but our game style puts undue pressure on our backs IMO, by pressing far too high.

How have we not yet addressed the ridiculously high press on the MCG? Today it was as high as it's ever been.

Edited by A F
  • Like 5

If ever there was a time to throw TMac back it was in the last after we kicked 2 in a row. He was not doing much up forward and Petty and Omac were getting destroyed. 

Should have sent him back and cleared the forwardline a bit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, layzie said:

Wow, just wow. That is massive. Our season just took a right hook to the jaw from no-where and has us flat out on the canvas with the ref counting.

You can look for positives if you want, and I may do some of that but this game was purely a yes/no question: Did you win or did you lose? The result was not good enough, I don’t care they we made a mad flurry. Only a fool would judge a team based on 3 minutes of football. We were not good enough. I question this team’s ability to wrestle back momentum when the game isn’t on our terms, as soon as the other side gets a run on with pace it seems to stay like that all day ala QBH. A lot of people here are saying the Roos effect on this side has passed and there is something to that. We’ve gone from being a difficult side to score against to a side that every time the opposition goes inside 50 scores. 

Today reminded me so much of those games a few years ago against the Saints when they would just burn us out the back with pace every time. It became so predictable, St Kilda win ball at half back, quick possessions through midfield and then hit up leading target/or open goal over the top to a runner. We never had an answer for it and looked pathetic in even trying to stop it. You just can’t have that happening repeatedly if you’re a finals side, no way. 

For the second week in a row we botched selection IMO. The forward structure from the get-go NEVER WORKED. At one point I saw Weed and Hogan almost standing next to each other on the 50! Never looked right, had little defensive pressure (once again cried out for Garlett or someone) and had 2 go up and spoil each other often. I looked at our forwards inside 50 at the Punt Rd end in the first quarter and honestly thought to myself that this could be a tough day to score. It was a sickening feeling. 

Petty had a honker. He is not the first and certainly won’t be the last to have a nightmare first game. ANB lacked urgency early and just didn’t cut it. Hannan was no-where, T-Mac must have been hurt. Hogan I honestly don’t know what the answer is there, I’d say push him up to get some touches but it just seems like his quiet games are real quiet. 

We want to play a quick play on handball run through the middle style, which I like. But on days like today we can never execute it or don’t have the pace. We also can’t seem to hit basic skills which turn into turnovers that almost always cost us.

The setup in the middle just looks like a bunch of bulls at the gate. No composure and just blazing away with kicks. Beat us on constested ball and that’s pretty much it. We’ll never win it back with uncontested ball we just don’t have the speed  or the spread. 

Fristch is one positive. And as good as he’s been around the ground I have wanted to see him up forward a bit more, because this is what he gives us. Hibberd worked hard all day and Viney eventually got busy. Max kept us on the game. The rest just didn’t come to the party.

This one hurts. I’m deeply disappointed with his result, as I’m sure everyone else is. The Port game was a terrible result and it hurt but this one just stings like citric acid in the eye. That good old feeling of losing an unloseable game and the butt ugly feeling of not wanting to show your face in public that follows it. Thanks MFC for bringing us back to where we apparently belong. The new Richmond, here to stay. 

How can you find positives out of today.

Our season is over pal, you dont recover from loses against garbage like that.

SLOW.  

Lost at selection.  We are close to the slowest side in the comp defensively and we get smashed on the rebound.

Why we would bring in 2 talls is strange.

It's nice to reward blokes playing well at Casey, but not at the expense of balance.  Again this loss sits with coaching and selection. 

This part of the club is under performing.

• Like 4

Just now, A F said:

There was a play in the final quarter that completely summed up our defence under Goodwin. It was ridiculous.

Our press was so high that our last defender besides the anchor outside 50 was within 40 metres of our own goal. Sure enough, they the ball and break to 50 and take an uncontested mark. 

Our organisation defensively was simply not AFL level. Even leaving Savage (their best kick) by himself 45 metres out and a St Kilda player chipping to him from a set shot. This was basic stuff and it happened more than once. Hibberd was the offender on this occasion, but Jetta, Smith and Petty all positioned themselves poorly for most of the day. And to top it off, Oscar McDonald gets beaten for body strength one out by a St Kilda player doubling as a little person (Jack Steven).

How have we not yet addressed the ridiculously high press on the MCG? Today it was as high as it's ever been.

Next game at the G lets do what the opposition least expects and make the press even higher. Build a beatiful wall along our 50m arc. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wizza said:

- Petty looked like a lost child

- How many time are our forwards going to fly for the same ball?? FFS

How many times do we have to keep bombing it in on a wing and a prayer!!

its ridiculous and happens consistently yet nothing seems to be done about it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, ProDee said:

We missed Spargo more than Stretch.  After last week I was sure he would come in. 

When Lever went down so did our season. 

We definitely have arguably the poorest tall defenders in the league.  I was wrong about Frost.  I'm not a fan, but he's a better option than Petty at the moment. 

Gee we lacked composure.  We have poor systems moving the footy between the arcs. 

The amount of times our tall forwards spoilt each other was incredible.

A gherkin a couple of pages back said Viney is slow.  Give up footy.  Pace is one of his assets, d-wad.  But he certainly had to be freed up early in the game, not late.  I'd rather he didn't tag at all. 

We went in with one too many talls. 

Does anyone know how many goals they were gifted from bs free kicks and those xxxxxxx 50 metre penalties ?  The 10 metre protected zone is the worst rule in footy.  I agree it's not an excuse.  The second worst is having to nominate a ruckman.  Schoolyard stuff.

There's much to work on, but I'm confident we'll still play finals, which will be an important part of the development. 

Btw, I xxxxxxx hate umpires.

EDIT: I twice spelt metre metre and my xxxxxxx phone still auto corrected to make it meter. 

I would say at least 3 goals. the 50 at the end of the second quarter was the killer.

I know this dangerous and lopsided after a seriously disappointing loss. But i’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts. Which individuals on our developing list have improved this year? Other than those who were injured last year and our recruits. I’m struggling to come up with more than three and they all came off a very low base. ANB, OMac and Harmes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Win4theAges said:

How can you find positives out of today.

Our season is over pal, you dont recover from loses against garbage like that.

Just trying to balance out the ledger, even if slightly. 

Looking for positives feels very pointless right now though. That game was not to be dropped. 

17 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Yet again another match where we had NO leaders stand up for long enough

It’s an ongoing problem just like our speed. 

With apologies to Max, I hope!

Goodwin refuses to coach. I saw one move today and it was pointed out in the game thread also. Fritch moved to loose man in the back during the second quarter and he was our best forward at the time. Just wow!

The amount of mismatches at the end of St Kildas end to end plays were comical. Hibberd/Jetta/Lewis trying to defend taller players in the air. How many times did they run through us from a kick in? Our structures whatever they are went to shite again and nothing....again.

I don’t know if T Mac was 100% right to play but he did. He’s our best defender from the 22 today and it wouldn’t have hurt to throw him back to stabilise the younger talls and lead them. Instead, let’s start him on the wing over and over. I assumed Goody had Roosy on speed dial. I was wrong. 

Richmond were struggling to overcome the Saints a few weeks ago yet Hardwick threw Vlastuin forward and changed the game. 

If you want to see what a captain’s game should look like see Max Gawn. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GCDee said:

Questions for good. 

1. Petty, clearly not ready hardly would cope ar VFL level by the looks of it. Why the hell is he picked in such an important game? 

2. Why the [censored] do we have our competiative beast and captain tagging in the first half? Our strength is our inside ball, they should be tagging us not the other way around. 

3. At training do we practise inside 50 delivery? If so why the [censored] do we always have 3 players fly for the one ball? 

4. Are you going to be a soft piece of [censored] in the presser and not question the absolutely [censored] umpiring today. 

5. Wheres jeffy? 

6. Why is Dom around? 

7. [censored] you I could coach this team better 

Jeffy is no answer based on vfl form

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bing181 said:

We kicked 18 goals without one.

And lost.  Hogan the only multiple goal tall.  T-Mac 1 (probably feeling effect of last week and shouldn't have played - poor selection again).  Weid didn't impact scoreboard... yet again.  A goal (or more) from a Spargo / Bugg or Jeffy wins the match.  They also ran it off HB far too easy for too many end to end conversions....pressure in forward 50 super ordinary.  Our best i50 tackler in Smith was dropped for Weid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dino rover said:

Jeffy is no answer based on vfl form

But ignore his form and look at his abilities. I think he had 9 tackles yesterday. We had no one applying F50 pressure, that is why they ran out easily and scored on the rebound nearly every single time. Do you think he wouldn't have got one goal at least?  Remind me what we lost by today.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, chookrat said:

Next game at the G lets do what the opposition least expects and make the press even higher. Build a beatiful wall along our 50m arc. 

I was already worried about the Bulldogs game. Now I think they'll murder us. Can we get the game rescheduled to Etihad?

• Like 3

Well, that was shyte.  My review under 4 points.  Skills, Effort, Strategy, Umpiring.

Skills.  SImply poor in general skills across the day.  Kicking to targets, overusing handballs, not taking marks.  All well below par.  One on one skills were a real low-light.

Effort.  We simply looked flat.  the Saints spread faster, got to more contests and in more numbers more often.  Only big Max seemed prepared to apply himself all day (he wins a gold star).  What, couldn’t they be bothered?  Thet corralled rather than tackles, were second to almost every contest, allowed to be turned inside out way to easily and wandered around with their hands on their hips.  If you dont want to be out there, dont be. Giving away 119 points is unacceptable

Strategy.  Big issues here.  Inside 50 was terrible.  St K simply jammed up the 30 metre space directly out from goal and we couldn’t think of anything else but kicking it to them there repeatedly.  Having everyone fly at the ball is amateur.  Our start setup with TMac on the wing and JViney as a tagger.  Forget it!  Better off to have Jesse on the wing.  We were smashed in clearances until Viney was allowed to be proactive.  Our exits from the back half are poor.  Our discipline with tiki touchwood umpires needs to improve.  Harry Petty Was a bust.  The last quarter 1:1 where he didn’t even put his arms up to contest shows he just isn’t ready.  

Umpires.  3 goals from 50’s and 2 more from soft as free kicks in the first half.  The push in the backs that weren’t.  How did Oliver get knocked to ground off the ball and not one umpire saw it?  They were so substandard today, they appeared biased.

The first 3 things we need to fix, the last is beyond our control.  Until we are the glory team, we will keep being the umpire’s biatches.  I think up to 3-4 changes this week.