Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 15

Demonland

We are on current form one of the three worst clubs ATM. WC aren’t going well but have big injury excuses. The Suns  are pathetic but at least had a go in the last half against the pies. We are adrift without a rudder. Everyone else is playing to their abilities.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I thought we lost it due to poor skill execution in our forward half resulting in costly turnovers where we gotcut up on the rebound. 

I watched the Tyson and Oliver tackles on AFL.com just before half time and am a bit confused re comments that Oliver could be in trouble. I would have thought a free kick would have been sufficient for the tackle and 50m harsh. If it is dangerous then review it via the MRP. Can anyone fill me in on what the 50 was for? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Lost this one at selection.

The balance wasn’t right today.

Harry Petty has potential but should have been kept in wraps for a while longer.

Billy Stretch and Sam Frost have been very strong for weeks at Casey and should have been picked. 

Not the first time this season that has been the case. Not good enough. 

Disappointing match, it was obvious he Saints had targeted Viney and Oliver today and were gang tackling both even smashing into them when the ball was nowhere in sight, Viney eventually broke loose and almost will us over the line.

Defence is a real issue since lever went down, he was masking over a lot of the weaknesses. Omac, Salem and Petty were all poor, Nev had a day where he just couldn't get into the game, Hibbo bust his gut all day. Disposal is still a problem as well, only a handful of players like Harmes, Gawn, Melksham and Viney look like hitting a target in the forward 50, Jones struggled with it and Brayshaw would have to be the worst kick of a football I have seen in the red and blue watching the game for decades.

On the positives, Gawn, Harmes and Fritsch and very good, Fritsch is an outstanding talent, Weidemann who I am generally neutral on showed glimpses of talent at this level today for the first time, not ready yet but has some potential.

19 minutes ago, Webber said:

Two points. If not for Oliver's consistent application EVERY week (and he's only got a handful of mates), we would have been pumped at the clearances. Secondly, if we make finals, and we won't I suspect, it would be immeasurably damaging, and given how brittle we are, a disaster.  

Agreed on Oliver - but my point is, if he is gettinf tagged out of the game, then shouldnt Goodwin change his position? Bring him forward like Martin or Dangerfield. Petracca could easily be drawn into the mid and draw a defender out.

Second point, you have to play finals. QB game it showed. We were too edgy and keen. We need a finals game for experience.

• Like 1

You simply cannot afford to play 1.5 quarters of decent football, especially when you are up against those posturing maggots in the second and third quarters as they relentlessly ground our players (and us supporters as well) into the ground. I’m sure that very strange man, Troy Pannell would have gathered his apprentice fools 11 and 14 around him as they strode off the ground at half time. Job half done lads! We are untouchable! That decision just on the break and then the 50 metre that gifted the goal turned out to be quite costly. Haven’t seen Pannell for a while in AFL - a few of the clowns must have rung in sick this week.

I am very angry with our boys today, but I am angrier with the clowns who stole the show. When is someone going to call them into account? 28, 11 and 14 today, 15 and “Adelaide Boy” 11 last week. The list just goes on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Posted before today's game by me.  "Correct, we are Melbourne, who lose games they should win."

Can I nominate this for Demonland post of the year?

You could Redleg, but wasn't it just stating the obvious, and typing in what we were all thinking? 

1 minute ago, PJ_12345 said:

Agreed on Oliver - but my point is, if he is gettinf tagged out of the game, then shouldnt Goodwin change his position? Bring him forward like Martin or Dangerfield. Petracca could easily be drawn into the mid and draw a defender out.

Second point, you have to play finals. QB game it showed. We were too edgy and keen. We need a finals game for experience.

Experience of what, though? 

2 minutes ago, Call Me What You Will said:

You simply cannot afford to play 1.5 quarters of decent football, especially when you are up against those posturing maggots in the second and third quarters as they relentlessly ground our players (and us supporters as well) into the ground. I’m sure that very strange man, Troy Pannell would have gathered his apprentice fools 11 and 14 around him as they strode off the ground at half time. Job half done lads! We are untouchable! That decision just on the break and then the 50 metre that gifted the goal turned out to be quite costly. Haven’t seen Pannell for a while in AFL - a few of the clowns must have rung in sick this week.

I am very angry with our boys today, but I am angrier with the clowns who stole the show. When is someone going to call them into account? 28, 11 and 14 today, 15 and “Adelaide Boy” 11 last week. The list just goes on.

Find the footage and post https://m.facebook.com/afl.umpiring.reviews

We did not lose due to effort more so stupid selection, stupid moves and stupid execution. 

Playing no crumber cost us the game. 

Playing Tyson once again on a wing cost us the game.

Playing Viney as a tagger for three quarters cost us the game. 

Gawn was immense as was Viney's last quarter but we need to go and find some dash.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Winning was 1111111y fair decision away.....

That wonderful contest with salem harassing the saints player was ruined by him getting a free that salem should have got. Not to mention the four goals gifted to them earlier.
But all up even if the umps robbed us this was a bottom side to be whipped.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Agreed on the first point. Along with Gawn, the one player we just could not afford to lose, as we have nobody on the list who can cover him. 

Wondering what games you think we can win from here to make it? 

We have the toughest draw out of anyone competing for the 8. 

Unlike others, I don't subscribe to this "top teams" theory and I think our best is better than most. 

I understand why the soyboys posting here lose hope after a loss like this, but I don't.  I'll leave that to our horde of frightbats. 

I think 12 wins and good percentage will get you there. 

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deestroy All said:

Goodwin must hate Paul Roos. 

He took any bit of defence Roos instilled in us and [censored] it right off. 

Ive been saying it since he got the gig, we are so unbalanced as a team now. Too attack centric, we leak like a sieve.

We are so easy to coach against, he's a flawed coach with a flawed game plan.

• Like 3

Jones is going downhill badly, racks up cheap possessions to get his 20-30 but they don't hurt opposition oir add value, goes missing when needed.should have traded him years ago while he had some value, one trick pony and constant turnover king.

Gawn take a bow, probably best game for the club, 25 disp, 11 marks, 39 hit outs.

Goodwin needs to be asked some serious questions

Our season is a waste, Garlett, Petracca, Tyson combined with B graders ANB, Jones, Vince, Lewis, Hannan, Weid.

What the hell is going on with the forwards? Hogan? junk time goals, better today but jeez.

Backline is atrocious, paid $750k & 2 first rounders for a guy with wonky knees then hello....hope he comes back OK.

We need to rid these B Graders from the list, do a Hawks/Swans and bring in experienced performers. We don't have the cattle and we have a pretty dumb coach.

There are no excuses to lose that game, it's utterly disgusting and embarrassing.

Edited by SFebey
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Agreed on the first point. Along with Gawn, the one player we just could not afford to lose, as we have nobody on the list who can cover him. 

Wondering what games you think we can win from here to make it? 

We have the toughest draw out of anyone competing for the 8. 

But let me add, if we don't we don't. 

You get what you deserve in footy.  Nothing is gifted to you.  

Much like life. 

2 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Unlike others, I don't subscribe to this "top teams" theory and I think our best is better than most. 

I understand why the soyboys posting here lose hope after a loss like this, but I don't.  I'll leave that to our horde of frightbats. 

I think 12 wins and good percentage will get you there. 

So we need 4 more wins and to avoid any smashings. 

That means we have to beat one of Sydney, Adelaide, Geelong, West Coast or GWS to make finals. 

I wish I had your optimism, but given we have yet to beat a team who is around our mark on the ladder, I just can’t see it happening, especially with 4 road trips. But I hope I am wrong!

1 minute ago, SFebey said:

Jones is going downhill badly, racks up cheap possessions to get his 20-30 but they don't hurt opposition oir add value, goes missing when needed.should have traded him years ago while he had some value, one trick pony and constant turnover king.

Gawn take a bow, probably best game for the club, 25 disp, 11 marks, 39 hit outs.

Goodwin needs to be asked some serious questions

Our season is a waste, Garlett, Petracca, Tyson combined with serial B graders ANB, Jones, Vince, Lewis, Hannan, Weid.

What the hell is going on with the forwards? Hogan? junk time goals, better today but jeez.

Backline is atrocious, paid $750k for a guy with wonky knees then hello....hope he comes back OK.

We need to rid these B Graders from the list, do a Hawks/Swans and bring in experienced performers. We don't have the cattle and we have a pretty dumb coach.

There are no excuses to lose that game, it's utterly disgusting and embarrassing.

This

meanwhile in la la land it's still all ok for the dees

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Win4theAges said:

Ive been saying it since he got the gig, we are so unbalanced as a team now. Too attack centric, we leak like a sieve.

We are so easy to coach against, he's a flawed coach with a flawed game plan.

Maybe somewhere in all there he had an idea.  Tbh its not working and either his mentors and/or his under coaches haven't the 'stuff'

But push comes to shove it's Goody's game....and it sux

1 hour ago, KingDingAling said:

Lewis, Tyson, Petty and Weideman back to VFL. They were all next to useless today.

Lewis is our most composed player.

• Like 1

Wow, just wow. That is massive. Our season just took a right hook to the jaw from no-where and has us flat out on the canvas with the ref counting.

You can look for positives if you want, and I may do some of that but this game was purely a yes/no question: Did you win or did you lose? The result was not good enough, I don’t care they we made a mad flurry. Only a fool would judge a team based on 3 minutes of football. We were not good enough. I question this team’s ability to wrestle back momentum when the game isn’t on our terms, as soon as the other side gets a run on with pace it seems to stay like that all day ala QBH. A lot of people here are saying the Roos effect on this side has passed and there is something to that. We’ve gone from being a difficult side to score against to a side that every time the opposition goes inside 50 scores. 

Today reminded me so much of those games a few years ago against the Saints when they would just burn us out the back with pace every time. It became so predictable, St Kilda win ball at half back, quick possessions through midfield and then hit up leading target/or open goal over the top to a runner. We never had an answer for it and looked pathetic in even trying to stop it. You just can’t have that happening repeatedly if you’re a finals side, no way. 

For the second week in a row we botched selection IMO. The forward structure from the get-go NEVER WORKED. At one point I saw Weed and Hogan almost standing next to each other on the 50! Never looked right, had little defensive pressure (once again cried out for Garlett or someone) and had 2 go up and spoil each other often. I looked at our forwards inside 50 at the Punt Rd end in the first quarter and honestly thought to myself that this could be a tough day to score. It was a sickening feeling. 

Petty had a honker. He is not the first and certainly won’t be the last to have a nightmare first game. ANB lacked urgency early and just didn’t cut it. Hannan was no-where, T-Mac must have been hurt. Hogan I honestly don’t know what the answer is there, I’d say push him up to get some touches but it just seems like his quiet games are real quiet. 

We want to play a quick play on handball run through the middle style, which I like. But on days like today we can never execute it or don’t have the pace. We also can’t seem to hit basic skills which turn into turnovers that almost always cost us.

The setup in the middle just looks like a bunch of bulls at the gate. No composure and just blazing away with kicks. Beat us on constested ball and that’s pretty much it. We’ll never win it back with uncontested ball we just don’t have the speed  or the spread. 

Fristch is one positive. And as good as he’s been around the ground I have wanted to see him up forward a bit more, because this is what he gives us. Hibberd worked hard all day and Viney eventually got busy. Max kept us on the game. The rest just didn’t come to the party.

This one hurts. I’m deeply disappointed with his result, as I’m sure everyone else is. The Port game was a terrible result and it hurt but this one just stings like citric acid in the eye. That good old feeling of losing an unloseable game and the butt ugly feeling of not wanting to show your face in public that follows it. Thanks MFC for bringing us back to where we apparently belong. The new Richmond, here to stay. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3
  • Love 1