Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 15

Demonland

3 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Frost was the obvious option.

Petty not even near it but lets choose him ahead of Frost!  So Goody.

No crumbing small forward 2 weeks running...still betting eveything on 3 Talls.. joke of the year especially when found out against the Pies and Port (both in the 8).  If that doesn't tell you something then you don't deserve to be coaching any team at AFL level.

He's a keeper is Goody ;)

? Winning ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bing181 said:

In spite of everything, lost in the back line, though that was also because of what was happening further up the field and the way the ball was coming in. We kicked 18 goals which is a winning score - but let them kick more.

Lost through some indiscipline and those handful of needless 50 metres that just handed them goals and gave them confidence.

Also inexperience (my constant theme), across much of the team but especially Petty who was clearly out of his depth unfortunately. Then throw in those handful of players we have who get the ball but have poor or unpredictable disposal, which leads to turnovers (Tyson, Harmes, ANB the main three).

No easy solutions, short of Jake Lever making a miraculous recovery, though I thought Smith played himself back into it, and Hibberd was decent. Thank god for Bailey Fritsch.

I'd be looking at Stretch (decent kick) and Vince (experience) back in.

Stretch, Vince and Baker must come in next week, Tyson, Smith and Hannan out

I was there today. Gawn was unbelievable, and Viney single handledly willed us into the competition in the last quarter.

I stand by my comments over the past couple of weeks - the team still doesnt feel right. OMac was slow, Petty doesnt seem ready yet, and the overall skills have taken a dive.

I would have like to have seen Oliver and Petracca draw eachother and swap positions more. It could have been a good opportunity to bring the tagger foward and a defender in the mid. Instead, Oliver for the last quarter spent most of the time falling for a free at the bounce.

In two minds at the moment. If we make finals and play like that, we will 100% be be beaten. But, we have to play finals for experience.

Come on Dees.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Tyson never again. Lewis is just in it for his super.

Trade Weideman now, get whatever we can for him, he is next to useless. Petty given a game too early, but he has time.

But we took weed instead of Charlie Curnow ?

13 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Umpiring was appalling, but look at the ladder. We lost this game because we played awful slow footy. 

We were forced into this style (not disagreeing with you) because from the bounce the style had to be adopted to stop the 50's, stop the bias frees and try and stop the monstrous interference all over the ground. Opposition coaches know that they will be given a free go because of the gutless umpiring that is going to be happening in every game from now until the end of the year. The jobs done on Oliver especially and Viney is an absolute disgrace and i don't know how the Club puts up with it. Seasoned players looking at each other as if they are watching an under age umpired game and the opposition players just smiling. This week again players were being mauled high by not just one player at a time, but by multiple infringers as if they knew from about two minutes into the game that they were going to be allowed. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, willmoy said:

We were forced into this style (not disagreeing with you) because from the bounce the style had to be adopted to stop the 50's, stop the bias frees and try and stop the monstrous interference all over the ground. Opposition coaches know that they will be given a free go because of the gutless umpiring that is going to be happening in every game from now until the end of the year. The jobs done on Oliver especially and Viney is an absolute disgrace and i don't know how the Club puts up with it. Seasoned players looking at each other as if they are watching an under age umpired game and the opposition players just smiling. This week again players were being mauled high by not just one player at a time, but by multiple infringers as if they knew from about two minutes into the game that they were going to be allowed. 

Club should have met Gill, Clarkson style, a long time ago. We cop it sweet every week, so we only have ourselves to blame. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, PJ_12345 said:

I was there today. Gawn was unbelievable, and Viney single handledly willed us into the competition in the last quarter.

I stand by my comments over the past couple of weeks - the team still doesnt feel right. OMac was slow, Petty doesnt seem ready yet, and the overall skills have taken a dive.

I would have like to have seen Oliver and Petracca draw eachother and swap positions more. It could have been a good opportunity to bring the tagger foward and a defender in the mid. Instead, Oliver for the last quarter spent most of the time falling for a free at the bounce.

In two minds at the moment. If we make finals and play like that, we will 100% be be beaten. But, we have to play finals for experience.

Come on Dees.

Two points. If not for Oliver's consistent application EVERY week (and he's only got a handful of mates), we would have been pumped at the clearances. Secondly, if we make finals, and we won't I suspect, it would be immeasurably damaging, and given how brittle we are, a disaster.  

What a strange game 

we had it won inside 15 minutes in the first.

so we relaxed and let them back  into it.

The umpires seemed to me initially to be on a mission not to allow the brand not to be embarrassed,  but then unashamedly pursued a reversal of the natural order agenda as a brand-enhancing upset became a possibility.

You do seriously have to question whether there is any accountability for the absurd decisions that seem to be being served up to us weekly because our club is regarded as polite and therefore accepting of whatever shisen is dealt out to us.This sadly just won’t happen to a power club and I suggest this more out of sorrow than anger.

Was there any examination of that Melksham free last week? (I don’t know - I’m asking)

I understand that the game is a difficult one to umpire but there have been so many examples of umpires bending to the will of crowd pressure (not saying that was today but) and making crucial mistakes that surely it’s time for this to be front and centre for public discussion 

I actually was disgusted today at the frees ignored, overlooked and not awarded to MFC but awarded each and every time to St Kilda 

Back to the first point, the killer instinct that we displayed against Adelaide seems to have evaporated into the ether 

• Like 7

We missed Spargo more than Stretch.  After last week I was sure he would come in. 

When Lever went down so did our season. 

We definitely have arguably the poorest tall defenders in the league.  I was wrong about Frost.  I'm not a fan, but he's a better option than Petty at the moment. 

Gee we lacked composure.  We have poor systems moving the footy between the arcs. 

The amount of times our tall forwards spoilt each other was incredible.

A gherkin a couple of pages back said Viney is slow.  Give up footy.  Pace is one of his assets, d-wad.  But he certainly had to be freed up early in the game, not late.  I'd rather he didn't tag at all. 

We went in with one too many talls. 

Does anyone know how many goals they were gifted from bs free kicks and those xxxxxxx 50 metre penalties ?  The 10 metre protected zone is the worst rule in footy.  I agree it's not an excuse.  The second worst is having to nominate a ruckman.  Schoolyard stuff.

There's much to work on, but I'm confident we'll still play finals, which will be an important part of the development. 

Btw, I xxxxxxx hate umpires.

EDIT: I twice spelt metre metre and my xxxxxxx phone still auto corrected to make it meter. 

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Has any club had as many false dawns as Melbourne?

This year is done even if we are still in the 8. We’ve been found out. Just run and run and you’ll win the game against our slow plodders.

I know it is only a game which is being pulled apart by stupid rules of late but its hard not to get disappointed with this mob. They do a great job at selling themselves but i guess they are all in it for the cash as i suppose they should be. Shame on me for my financial support. The problem is the constant mediocrity.  Why dont we have players that really want a premiership? Why cant we win one? This current bunch wont get one so where to now?
This is a club that hasnt seen a flag for coming up to 53 years with no sign of anything changing soon.
I now understand I need to just enjoy watching the footy.... games that the dees dont play...ie higher standards.
I just hope Goodwin and the club comes out  
 and says that they are disgusted with our game today and apologize to the people who pay them.
Can we ban players from speaking to the media until we win a glag or have a season of finals entries behind us? I knew petracca was going to be poor after his grumblings to the press. No more talking ourselves up in the press because the players delude themselves

Why cant we get some superstars?

Why do our top picks become average? 

If we win 12 games again I would be in favour  of goody going.

I think we  need to cull about 10 players this year.

Edited by leave it to deever

1 minute ago, ProDee said:

When Lever went down so did our season.

There's much to work on, but I'm confident we'll still play finals, which will be an important part of the development. 

Agreed on the first point. Along with Gawn, the one player we just could not afford to lose, as we have nobody on the list who can cover him. 

Wondering what games you think we can win from here to make it? 

We have the toughest draw out of anyone competing for the 8. 

This team has redefined the term pretenders, and when applied to us, it couldn't be more apt. They will get a hammering from the commentariat this week, which for normal teams might be a good thing, but as we've shown for the last 11 years, we will simply NOT respond. Everything to play for, but what do they dish up? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Club should have met Gill, Clarkson style, a long time ago. We cop it sweet every week, so we only have ourselves to blame. 

I notice King had the temerity to bring the MCC into his stupidity, arguing with Lyon about some issue that was a" no brainer" (excuse the pun) in the commentary box. The only good thing that i love really, is that EVERYONE REALLY HATES US from the Media, who collectively wouldn't have a Mensa score of 40 to the Umpires who are a stale old boys club desperately trying to bear relevance in the big scheme, to the AFL who are controlled by money in their pockets........

41 minutes ago, willmoy said:

The only reason we LOST this game was because of bad, bias umpiring.

Last week yes, this week no. We lost this through poor selection, game plan and skills deficiencies.

• Like 5

Has anyone thought that all our GOOD YOUNG PLAYERS could actually decide to ask for TRANSFERS unless they start getting a fair go

The Frustration is Massive......

• Like 1

We chopped the ball up in the corridor.

We fumbled the ball in the corridor

We chopped it up at selection

We were chopped up by the umpiring

We played terrible

We still nearly pinched it. 

We CAN fix it but WILL WE?

History says, Doubtful. It hurts to say it. 

3 minutes ago, Webber said:

This team has redefined the term pretenders, and when applied to us, it couldn't be more apt. They will get a hammering from the commentariat this week, which for normal teams might be a good thing, but as we've shown for the last 11 years, we will simply NOT respond. Everything to play for, but what do they dish up? 

The season is over for us. An accumulating cancer is surging in our veins and Goodwin in not the best person to be fixing things. This was a great disappointment and this loss will keep us just short of a finals appearance. Selections have reach a critical desparation point with no moves, shakers, runners or crumbers. No-one has the guts to get, win, kick and re-balance for a team victory - all seem to be intent on personal statistics. Of course, Gawn is the exception to these observations. Just ridiculously ineffective performance across the team with at least 6 poor selections from the FD...

2 minutes ago, TRIGON said:

Last week yes, this week no. We lost this through poor selection, game plan and skills deficiencies.

Winning was 1111111 fair decision away.....

• Like 1