Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Bulldogs



kevin martin

Training - Thursday 28th June, 2018

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Rehab, fitness test group had Tom Mcdonald and Dom Tyson in it. Dom Joined the main group after 3/4 of an hour. Tom remained in rehab. He looked to be moving well with good skills on display with Daniel Cross and Dom. At the end he was tested with some 400 meters. He appeared to be running out of steam by the end. His endurance seems compromised at the moment. Jayden Hunt was walking laps.
The general atmosphere was full of intensity with plenty of noise from both players and coaches. All seemed to have purpose. The emphasis appeared to be about quick hands, locking the ball down and finding targets over the back of the pack.
The talls and smalls separated, with the talls doing marking practice and the smalls tackling each other (showing strength, power and endurance).
Close to the end of training the Casey team went off to kick goals while the AFL team did match simulations.
Aaron vandenBerg and Pat Mckenna training well and stayed with the AFL team. So they are unlikely to get a game in the seconds yet. In the AFL squad team was Cam Pederson, Harry Petty and Sam Weideman.

Edited by kevin martin
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, kevin martin said:

Rehab, fitness test group had Tom Mcdonald and Dom Tyson in it. Dom Joined the main group after about 3/4 of an hour. Tom remained in rehab. He looked to be moving well with good skills on display with Daniel Cross and Dom. At the end he was tested with some 400 meters. He appeared to be running out of steam by the end. His endurance seems compromised at the moment. Jayden Hunt was walking laps.
The general atmosphere was full of intensity with plenty of noise from both players and coaches. Most of action seemed to have purpose. The emphasis appeared to be about quick hands, locking the ball down and finding targets over the back of the pack.
The talls and smalls separated, with the talls doing marking practice and the smalls tackling each other (showing strength, power and endurance).
Close to the end of training the Casey team went off to kick goals while the AFL team did match simulations.
Aaron vandenBerg and Pat Mckenna training well and stayed with the AFL team (unlikely to get a game in the seconds). In the AFL squad team was Cam Pederson, Harry Petty and Sam Weideman.

Thanks, Kevin.  Been hoping someone would post a report sooner or later...!

Edited by Vagg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Kev.

The Tommy Mac stuff is interesting - as well know he is an elite runner, and seeing him run out of puff after doing some 400 metres suggests he is certainly hampered by the injury and, if that continues, they may make the decision to rest him for a week after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Tommy Mac may need to be rested. 

Thanks for the report🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most players would run out puff after sprinting close to 400m

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I think most players would run out puff after sprinting close to 400m

Repeatedly...

 

Goody did say they will test him on sat. I mean a half fit plugger is still fitter than half the comp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably no Petty debut this week then?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

I think most players would run out puff after sprinting close to 400m

Agreed, even an Olympic 400 metre runner would run out of puff after a full effort.

The most testing of distances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorgoroth said:

Repeatedly...

 

Goody did say they will test him on sat. I mean a half fit plugger is still fitter than half the comp.

With bruised lung...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deebug said:

Sounds like Tommy Mac may need to be rested. 

Thanks for the report🙂

I asked Tom at training how his chest was going and he replied that he wasn’t doing any contact work today but he felt really good and reckoned he would be OK to play. 

Petty, Weid and Pedo training with the AFL squad may indicate one or more are options this week. Petty looked impressive in the drills I saw. 

Jetta trained well I think he copped a few hits last week. 

Great to see Vanders and McKenna finally getting to train and Kent was moving well. 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just play tommy out of the goal square, if he is not 100% he doesn’t need to run up and down the wing all day 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Probably no Petty debut this week then?  

Never in doubt! ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Tmac may not play but I would not place a lot of credence on an observation made by a supporter watching a player run 400 metres and running out of steam.at the end of same.

2 hours ago, kevin martin said:

He appeared to be running out of steam by the end. His endurance seems compromised at the moment. Jayden Hunt was walking laps.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

I asked Tom at training how his chest was going and he replied that he wasn’t doing any contact work today but he felt really good and reckoned he would be OK to play. 

Petty, Weid and Pedo training with the AFL squad may indicate one or more are options this week. Petty looked impressive in the drills I saw. 

Jetta trained well I think he copped a few hits last week. 

Great to see Vanders and McKenna finally getting to train and Kent was moving well. 

Fingers crossed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Training continued.

I watched Christian Petracca and Clayton Oliver going at each other as the mids trained. Lots of pushes and punches to chest area. Oliver seemed to win front position (timing of hits) though Tracs able to win the ball because of his stability in the space when the ball came down. Oskar Baker and Billy Stretch trained with the midfield. Nathan Jones giving plenty of instructions and delivering with fast handballs.The mids did some drills playing through obstacles, quick lateral ball movement and straight running when in possession. At the same time the backs contested with the forwards in game simulations.

The Casey players ended the session with goal kicking. The AFL squad contested with a simulation. Coaches wanted them to go pretty hard. Aaron VandenBerg getting plenty of ball. Joel Smith breaking lines. Jesse Hogan clean collection and hitting targets. Bernie Vince working hard and plenty of talk to structure the backline. Bailey Fritsch having so much composure with ball in hand always runs to space. Jack Viney playing smart football and so fast at the roll and go when he gets the ball. The backline communicating well to set up and cover the space.

Neville Jetta seems to be enjoying training. He was working/instructing Jay Kennedy-Harris for a while. He is vocal towards everyone and appears to be growing as a leader.

Lachlan Filipovic training well and appears to be improving as a marking tall.

Christian Petracca finished his session with a few 70 m sprints under supervision and being timed by the coaching staff.

Tom Mcdonald a little uncomfortable after some timed runs, but beyond that he looked good.

  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I must say it is such a long time since I have seen him, but could perhaps AVDB be / become a quick strong aggressive line breaking HBF??

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also good to see Gary Hardeman down at training today, chatting with Todd and Jack Viney, Peter Jackson and some of the players. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevin martin said:

Training continued.

I watched Christian Petracca and Clayton Oliver going at each other as the mids trained. Lots of pushes and punches to chest area. Oliver seemed to win front position (timing of hits) though Tracs able to win the ball because of his stability in the space when the ball came down. Oskar Baker and Billy Stretch trained with the midfield. Nathan Jones giving plenty of instructions and delivering with fast handballs.The mids did some drills playing through obstacles, quick lateral ball movement and straight running when in possession. At the same time the backs contested with the forwards in game simulations.

The Casey players ended the session with goal kicking. The AFL squad contested with a simulation. Coaches wanted them to go pretty hard. Aaron VandenBerg getting plenty of ball. Joel Smith breaking lines. Jesse Hogan clean collection and hitting targets. Bernie Vince working hard and plenty of talk to structure the backline. Bailey Fritsch having so much composure with ball in hand always runs to space. Jack Viney playing smart football and so fast at the roll and go when he gets the ball. The backline communicating well to set up and cover the space.

Neville Jetta seems to be enjoying training. He was working/instructing Jay Kennedy-Harris for a while. He is vocal towards everyone and appears to be growing as a leader.

Lachlan Filipovic training well and appears to be improving as a marking tall.

Christian Petracca finished his session with a few 70 m sprints under supervision and being timed by the coaching staff.

Tom Mcdonald a little uncomfortable after some timed runs, but beyond that he looked good.

Cheers ‘Big’ Kev top trackside coverage! Your top end correspondent intends to be in attendance at training in Darwin prior to the Dockers clash so will try reciprocate with some local colour next week. Are Harrison Petty’s ball handling skills up to par? Frostie had a shocker here last year couldn’t handle the dew.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

Cheers ‘Big’ Kev top trackside coverage! Your top end correspondent intends to be in attendance at training in Darwin prior to the Dockers clash so will try reciprocate with some local colour next week. Are Harrison Petty’s ball handling skills up to par? Frostie had a shocker here last year couldn’t handle the dew.

I haven't had much of a focus on him. What I've noticed is he has good composure, stands tall in the marking contests, can punch the ball well (yet to really crash a pack though), absorbs information from those around him, responds well to calls and follows instructions, has a good kick and very reliable by hand. The learning curve is exponential and his body has matured quickly since joining the MFC's system. His big test maybe his decision making under AFL pressure and his general leg speed.

Edited by kevin martin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kevin martin said:

I haven't had much of a focus on him. What I've noticed is he has good composure, stands tall in the marking contests, can punch the ball well (yet to really crash a pack though), absorbs information from those around him, responds well to calls and follows instructions, has a good kick and very reliable by hand. The learning curve is exponential and his body has matured quickly since joining the MFC's system. His big test maybe his decision making under AFL pressure and his general leg speed.

Jeez, imagine how much you would know about him if you did focus on him.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, binman said:

Jeez, imagine how much you would know about him if you did focus on him.

I was trying to indicate my views may be wrong. Your point gave me a laugh. Sometimes I'm over opinionated. Always willing to give a reply a go.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kevin martin said:

I was trying to indicate my views may be wrong. Your point gave me a laugh. Sometimes I'm over opinionated. Always willing to give a reply a go.

To mangle an old saying, posters on demonland are in rhe opinion business. Keep it up.

Anway on rhe over opinionated scale you not in the top 50 around these parts.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'll ask it:

Is Big Tom just blowing hard after some runs..if so...why ?  he's normally an endurance king

OR

Is he struggling with his  "niggle" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×