Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v St Kilda

dees189227

7 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Agreed, as a general rule one game at a time does not help the player or the team.

It must kill a players confidence to get a game only to be dropped the following week. 

It is always difficult to determine why some players are favoured with multiple games in the ones when their form is ordinary. There are issues of team balance and playing a role but sometimes you scratch your head and ask why. But it has been going on forever.

In terms of the current day, Stretch in particular has been stiff.

Please don't select him and drop him the following week.  

Stretch is a symptom of our problems Ernest.

He is a VFL talented player who cannot cut it at the higher level.

9 minutes ago, old dee said:

I recon that is a bit hard on Billy. He has been slightly undersized and now he has grown into his body, seems to be playing a solid role in the VFL. Must be rewarded on form and given two consecutive weeks to show his worth.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, old dee said:

He is just a kid, players do improve. 

We are so impatient with the development of players.

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Demons11 said:

He is just a kid, players do improve. 

We are so impatient with the development of players.

He does not hurt the opposition D11. I don't see a major skill, can you tell me what it is please?

5 minutes ago, old dee said:

He does not hurt the opposition D11. I don't see a major skill, can you tell me what it is please?

He provides outside run, which we desperately need. 

I am still not convinced he will be a player but when he has been in the top 3 best on ground for several weeks, he deserves a chance

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 5

We need to bring in a genuine crummer in the forward line. We are missing this big time in games! 

When Spargo was playing seniors they had him playing more up field. He is the player we need too play deep. Don’t rotate him. That should be his only role.

Kent is another player who would fit in the forward line nicely when available. He can play up the ground and deep. Perfect player as a dual threat with Spargo.

I would like to see Garlett come back in and play deep but he isn’t putting his hand up in the VFL. He just ain’t up to it at the moment. I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up in WA next season.

Spargo has to come back in this week and be given that deep forward role... Think Gresham from the Saints. 

Pecking order is  Spargo-Bugg-Garlett

Petracca could be the one that makes way!

15 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

Kent is another player who would fit in the forward line nicely when available. He can play up the ground and deep. Perfect player as a dual threat with Spargo.

Absolutely agree about Kent - got the  'nasty' written all over his game - kicks well, tough (prior to shoulder injury), far ken fast, a one-look for heads up or goal shot, team player, motivated. Needs another runner nearby, such as Stretch and Trac, to create a loop of forward thrust across shorter distances than the intent of the long bomb. 

• Like 1

Whatever changes we make I want ones that fix our structure for when we play the other potential finalists. We have and should beat those around us based on talent and application. Its when the pressure is on and our deficiencies are shown up we need to sort. Use now to sort it over the next 3 week stretch and get it right before we should be truly tested again.

• Like 6

We need to replace Lever

do we play TMac back and weideman forward?

do we throw Petty in?

id like to see Garlett and Spargo play

i think Tyson is done at MFC

the luv won’t drop Hogan or Petracca and why would it

On 6/24/2018 at 1:45 PM, Knuckles said:

I am I the only one reading this thread and almost being embarrassed to be a Melbourne member. How can people be calling for Hogan to be dropped. Two weeks ago he was mentioned in almost every expert commentators mid season All Australian teams. He then has two quiet games for the most obvious of reasons. I lost count of the number of times ANB, Jones, Oliver and Petracca kicked the ball on top of or over Hogan's head giving him zero chance. But it seems to be easier to blame Hogan. 

Agreed. Very well said. 

10 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I'd take Vince out of those three.

Lewis is good when he has time and space, under pressure he is dreadful and just falls over.

At least there is a circumstance when Lewis is good. 

What is Vince’s?

IMO, Lewis adds far more than Vince. Both have flaws which aren’t going away. But at the very least, Lewis is adding some value that we’re not getting from Vince. 

I genuinely don’t know what Vince is adding to the side right now. 

17 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Whatever changes we make I want ones that fix our structure for when we play the other potential finalists. We have and should beat those around us based on talent and application. Its when the pressure is on and our deficiencies are shown up we need to sort. Use now to sort it over the next 3 week stretch and get it right before we should be truly tested again.

Agreed. 

The worst thing we can do is stubbornly back the current set up in against St Kilda and, if it goes well (and the 6 straight wins suggests it might), say “that’s how we want to play”. 

We’ve seen enough now to know that things need to change to beat sides in the top 8. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Roost It said:

We need to replace Lever

do we play TMac back and weideman forward?

do we throw Petty in?

id like to see Garlett and Spargo play

i think Tyson is done at MFC

the luv won’t drop Hogan or Petracca and why would it

With the current state of play, your suggestion of TMac at CHB is probably a good one, should the Weed be allocated as a 2nd ruck with main duties at FFwd. The FFwd position would be just fine for the short Gawn relaxative moments if this occurs. HOpefully, we can overcome the bombs we waste our time on so that Hogan doesn't have to watch a rocket pass over his head many metres away. Hoges needs the ball passed to him or into a position to which he might be leading. It's unfair indeed to say that he had a bad couple of games - his team let him down with rubbish kicking.

Deez Nuts suggested bringing in Kent straight away and I personally like this idea to occupy a flanking role with stints goalward.

Petty can be trialled off the bench at any time, possibly the sooner, the better.

Trac also needs to be benched for some rapid deployments onfield rather than be a luxury cruiser on Casey's winning set-up; this would also be sufficient to let him know that we expect a form improvement and that he would have to fight for a more permanent position like everyone else.

Down back, we need Frosty/Pedo/J.Smith with Tim and Baker available on the bench.

The more one reflects on the teams of the past few weeks, the more it seems appropriate to sacrifice Lewis and Vince for a short while as the pressure is just slightly off and those two can recover more fully as preparation for a finals series guarantee.

Jones needs a flanking role at half back. Recovery is his difficulty at present as a roving midfielder. Viney, Oliver, Bryshaw and Stretch can do much in these midfield roles with some outside work from Fritsch on offer through the wing. That way we have one aerialist/runner on one wing and a shorter, playmaker in Gus on the other. Both have unique skills to be exploited.

Tyson just is not needed with his lack of proprioception (unawareness of himself and his opponents in the processing of ground space and ball delivery).

Spargo and Garlett, to me, represent a double-whammy deep in the fwd line that must be trialled across the next three matches, with Hannan's presence not too far away; the latter uses the flanks well to dip quickly into the congestion or behind, and his noted reactions are worth one or two goals at least, each game if given the responsibility.

HIbberd is a superb half-back flanker and must stay there, just as Jetta is the best modern-day interceptor and tagger/rebounder from back pocket that I have seen for years. He's nearly as good as Frank Davis was years ago, and Brett Bailey, too. 

We need sorting as you say. Let's keep the ideas, no matter how fanciful, ticking over. 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rpfc said:

I would love to see some smarter entry into the forward line and against an inferior side like the Saints our front running ways will help us get some goals that we just won't get against teams with a semblance of a structural defence.

Tyson wasn't great but does he get another week? Does Weed come in now or in a few weeks time. He is our second best ruck from what I have seen so that makes the inevitable easier to deal with even if he is providing much as a third tall.

As an aside, the fact that he can be a third tall is a great introduction for him to this team. I wish we could find a place for Garlett - he is such a natural forward to feed off our talls. I would hope he is a part of the 22 come late August...

We cannot afford to go into any match without respect for the opposition.

That is a good recipe to lode by.

Every team enters the field with 22 players, (44 arms, 44 legs, amongst them)... take them lightly at your peril.

We have to play our style of game and restrict them with as much pressure as we can apply.   Let the numbers Re percentage, fall where they may. 

They will take care of themselves IF we play our tough hard disciplined game style.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

The worst thing we can do is stubbornly back the current set up in against St Kilda and, if it goes well (and the 6 straight wins suggests it might), say “that’s how we want to play”. 

We’ve seen enough now to know that things need to change to beat sides in the top 8. 

This x 10^8012

3 hours ago, old dee said:

Gee that’s tough OD, hasn’t had a lot of opportunities. May not be the next big thing but he’s not that bad.  However, I get the sense that he has his report card marked. 

1 minute ago, hemingway said:

Gee that’s tough OD, hasn’t had a lot of opportunities. May not be the next big thing but he’s not that bad.  However, I get the sense that he has his report card marked. 

If so I wish they'd tell us so everyone can stop their pointless speculation on him

I’d like to see:

IN: Weideman, Frost

OUT: T.Smith, Vince

I simply cannot see what Bernie is offering us on the field at the moment and would be happy to hear anyone’s theories on it.  He is a long way off the pace in mind and body.  

Frost playing as a genuine second tall takes defensive pressure off J.Smith and Hibberd.  

For mine, J.Smith gets another game or two playing a a roaming third tall.  If he’s not up to it, then someone like petty gets a look in.  

Would love to see Hunt fit and in form, we’re missing him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I’d like to see:

IN: Weideman, Frost

OUT: T.Smith, Vince

I simply cannot see what Bernie is offering us on the field at the moment and would be happy to hear anyone’s theories on it.  He is a long way off the pace in mind and body.  

Frost playing as a genuine second tall takes defensive pressure off J.Smith and Hibberd.  

For mine, J.Smith gets another game or two playing a a roaming third tall.  If he’s not up to it, then someone like petty gets a look in.  

Would love to see Hunt fit and in form, we’re missing him.

Missing Lever more

Methinks the bell has tolled for Bernie

1 minute ago, jumbo returns said:

Missing Lever more

The strangest thing is there is complete media silence on Bernie’s form.  He’s a prominent figure in the media (by MFC standards), but no one seems to have noticed that he can’t get anywhere near it this year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Missing Lever more

Did it? Must have had some glove-handed butlers silencing its pealing into a mere ephemeral tolling.

I think Supermercado is onto something.

Somewhere in Bernie's house is a safe with photos of Goody doing something truly shocking.

Edited by timbo
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

The strangest thing is there is complete media silence on Bernie’s form.  He’s a prominent figure in the media (by MFC standards), but no one seems to have noticed that he can’t get anywhere near it this year.

Lewis can't get anywhere near his opponent and they aren't talking about him either. A bit of media work buys a player a lot of grace.

That said, the footy media rarely talk about anything that happens during a game these days anyway.

Trades, suspensions, injuries, firing coaches, supercoach points, expansion teams, changing the rules. There's not much time for them to watch the games and work out how players are going.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Lever was AFL Game Day on Sunday, very professional and oozed leadership, very impressive person & level head for his age. I reckon the stint in the coaches box will set him up for a ripper 2019. Anyone else catch it?

No but I watched him closely in the last match against the Dogs and he oozed professionalism and on field leadership. Massive loss. As you say, an impressive young man. An old head on young shoulders. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hemingway said:

No but I watched him closely in the last match against the Dogs and he oozed professionalism and on field leadership. Massive loss. As you say, an impressive young man. An old head on young shoulders. 

I was quite surprised, my instant thought was he was captain material so I agree. He was really starting to direct the troops down back. 

They showed a video of him trying to get weights off the end of the bar with his crutches in the gym which was pretty cool.

• Like 1