Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v St Kilda

dees189227

30 minutes ago, loges said:

Bring in Garlett and if he's on fine, if he's not you risk playing one short. This is a game we should/must win. My warning meter is going crazy.

And here is the problem : how do we know when he is ‘on’?  He didn’t look nearly ‘on’ in the VFL.  The idea that we gift players a run should be so 2012. But I have no idea what the coaches wanted from him, so maybe he meets the secret criteria.  He was way down the list of performers at Casey, and posed almost no ‘threat’ around goal.

conversely, Weed looked assured and composed, and threatened every pack and contest he flew at.  Stretch looked a class above, JKH moved nicely and did some good things.  Petty wasn’t sighted a great deal.  Frost was busy, but some of his exit choices and disposals were poor.

think weed and stretch would be looked at, Frost before petty.  Not sure Garrett’s name even comes up yet.  I know he can do great things, but what if he doesn’t, and what does it say about our culture?

• Like 4

Would love to know what the Tyson lovers thought of his super strong 16 disposal, whopping 3 clearance game on the weekend. 

Weren't people saying we were bringing him back to help with clearances?  

There was zero point in bringing Tyson back imo. We were always going to respond in the middle of the ground, with or without him. 

• Like 2

I'm really disappointed in Garlett, he's a match winner and what we are lacking so much up forward, I just wonder what he's been sent back to do? And if he is one of those players who will never play well at VFL.

Edited by SFebey

10 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Would love to know what the Tyson lovers thought of his super strong 16 disposal, whopping 3 clearance game on the weekend. 

Weren't people saying we were bringing him back to help with clearances?  

There was zero point in bringing Tyson back imo. We were always going to respond in the middle of the ground, with or without him. 

He was terrible.

His lack of awareness was on full display, I think it was the 2nd quarter when he got run down and caught holding the ball and you could see it coming from a mile away.

People say we cant carry Vince and Lewis in the same team, well I'd add Tyson in that lot too.  We would be much better off playing only 1 of those 3 each week.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

He was terrible.

His lack of awareness was on full display, I think it was the 2nd quarter when he got run down and caught holding the ball and you could see it coming from a mile away.

People say we cant carry Vince and Lewis in the same team, well I'd add Tyson in that lot too.  We would be much better off playing only 1 of those 3 each week.

I'd take Vince out of those three.

Lewis is good when he has time and space, under pressure he is dreadful and just falls over.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I'd take Vince out of those three.

Lewis is god when he has time and space, under pressure he is dreadful and just falls over.

I don't know if Lewis is god. But he is pretty great with the ball when he has time and space yes.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Vince needs a midfield defensive role, these are his best matches for our club.  Harmes looks to be doing this role of late.

Need to bring Frost or Pederson in for a tall defensive role, free up Smith and more importantly Hibberd he seems to be playing deep and we aren't getting that drive off Half back.  

In Spargo, Garlett, Frost, Weiderman

Out ANB, Tyson, Harmes, T Smith

29 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

He was terrible.

I don't think he was terrible, even though some posters would like to think I hate the guy. I dont. I just don't see what he adds. 

Posters like @A F and co thought he was needed. And it seems Goodwin rewarded him, but at what cost? He just floated through the game and was mostly insignificant. 

We took a high pressure, crafty and creative small forward out of our side and replaced him with Tyson? 

Tyson should replace an inside mid and nobody else. I questioned the decision at the time and I'm still questioning it now. 

If he comes out this week after one game, Goodwin will look very silly. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I don't think he was terrible, even though some posters would like to think I hate the guy. I dont. I just don't see what he adds. 

Posters like @A F and co thought he was needed. And it seems Goodwin rewarded him, but at what cost? He just floated through the game and was mostly insignificant. 

We took a high pressure, crafty and creative small forward out of our side and replaced him with Tyson? 

Tyson should replace an inside mid and nobody else. I questioned the decision at the time and I'm still questioning it now. 

If he comes out this week after one game, Goodwin will look very silly. 

The issue I have with Goodwin in regards to Tyson, is that hes playing him on an outside role where he is badly exposed for leg speed.. why hes doing that I have no idea? I'd rather Tyson having playing on ball then Harmes who gets more of a go in there then Tyson now.

Either play him in an inside role or dont play him at all.

• Like 6

Interesting comments from Brereton over the weekend that he reckons Hogan has lost confidence in crashing packs, my take was that Goodwin has confused him and he doesn't know whether to be a midfielder or a KPF. Apparently 7 times on Friday night Hogan didn't jump for the ball but turned around front and square and tried to rove.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Interesting comments from Brereton over the weekend that he reckons Hogan has lost confidence in crashing packs, my take was that Goodwin has confused him and he doesn't know whether to be a midfielder or a KPF. Apparently 7 times on Friday night Hogan didn't jump for the ball but turned around front and square and tried to rove.

Isolate Hogan one out in the square with Garlett around if you must bomb it long 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SFebey said:

That could also be the result of the terrible delivery as well. Knowing the ball was always coming in on top or even over their heads, he might have got caught up thinking the smarter play was trying to rove the ball. Fix our delivery and I'm sure that'll change the way he plays.

• Like 1

hey guys, long time reader, 2nd time poster. 

The lever injury has come at the worst time of the season and we are scrambling to try and work out whats best for our backline. Having hibberd fall back and fill a spot is killing any run we have. I like smith in the back, give him time but i dont think he is a good second back just yet, but could be. Imagine if hunt and frost ever improve their kicking and decision making. The speed out of our backline would set us up greatly. 

With so many forward entries into our 50, surely we have to play a small forward, its just crazy that we dont. I like spargo. Keep him in. Jeffy? who knows what will happen.

But i agree having lewis, vince and tyson in makes us so slow. Not sure what to think of tyson. Good inside but not a outside player like he is being played.  We just need to work and adjust our backline. We are a strong team but lever going down has changed our setup. Anyway, hope we beat the saints and get back on track. 

• Like 8

Am thinking a little re-jig here and maybe outside the box. Do you bring in a kid who has been emergency, or reward recent form? Maybe give Petty a game for next 3 otherwise replace with Frost.

Will probably only be 2 changes but this looks a better balanced team to me, what we are doing isnt working 

In: Weideman, Petty, Spargo, Stretch

Out: T.Smith, Vince, J Smith, Tyson

B:      Salem,  O McDonald,  Jetta
HB:   Hibberd,  Frost/Petty,  Lewis
C.      Melksham,  Viney,  Fritsch
HF:    T McDonald,  J Hogan,  Harmes
F:       N Jones,  Weideman,  Petracca
Foll:   Gawn,  Brayshaw,  Oliver
I/C: , , Hannan, Stretch, ANB, Spargo

I've edited this 20 times, not easy but did my best.

Edited by SFebey
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Am thinking a little re-jig here and maybe outside the box. Do you bring in a kid who has been emergency, or reward recent form? Maybe give Petty a game for next 3 otherwise replace with Frost.

Will probably only be 2 changes but this looks a better balanced team to me, what we are doing isnt working 

In: Weideman, Petty, Spargo, Stretch

Out: T.Smith, Vince, J Smith, Tyson

B:      Salem,  O McDonald,  Jetta
HB:   Hibberd,  Petty,  Lewis
C.      Melksham,  Viney,  Fritsch
HF:    T McDonald,  J Hogan,  Harmes
F:       N Jones,  Weideman,  Petracca
Foll:   Gawn,  Brayshaw,  Oliver
I/C: , , Hannan, Stretch, ANB, Spargo

I've edited this 20 times, not easy but did my best.

Like.

Lots on the line next 3 games, maybe Petty for Frosty, but apart from that, Like.

Then again, if you're going to blood someone now might be the time?

• Like 4

The jungle drums will beat for the debut of Petty this week.

He plays above his years,  like Spargo. Hes acquitted himself well at Casey.   With Lever gone, we are crying out for a smart tall defender who can read the play.   Our next three opponents are inexperienced, so its the perfect time to get him in.

Just do it, Goody.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SFebey said:

Our forward line was so congested maybe Hogan thought his odds were better waiting for it to drop?

He had a crap game and I hope he comes good.

Our midfield was rubbish for two weeks. We fixed that and Port worked us out by staying back and rebounding.

Should be our first priority now to counteract Ports tactics. I'm sure the saints will be out to replicate it this weekend.

• Like 1

Frost should come into the side. I know he makes errors at times but he gives us more height/athleticism in defence. It also means that Hibberd can play more of a zoning role. Petty might be a better long-term player but he won't be better than Frost in 2018.

Vince and Lewis in the same defence hasn't worked against the better sides (particularly with Salem also there at times) and we look slow down back. I would drop Vince and give him a rest as the emergency this week.

I would also pick Weideman in place of T. Smith. Weideman has more upside and needs to really progress for us to win the flag IMO.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Our forward line was so congested maybe Hogan thought his odds were better waiting for it to drop?

He had a crap game and I hope he comes good.

Our midfield was rubbish for two weeks. We fixed that and Port worked us out by staying back and rebounding.

Should be our first priority now to counteract Ports tactics. I'm sure the saints will be out to replicate it this weekend.

I'd love to know how the opposition analysis people in the FD "War Game" these and look at possible scenarios to counter us, e.g. flooding and fast rebound. Their fast rebounding, to my untrained eye anyway, looked good.

• Like 1

Outs: Lewis, Tyson, Neal-Bullen, Smith, Petracca

Ins: Petty, Baker/Stretch, Spargo, Weidemann, Garlett

We're carrying too many one paced inside mids so out go Lewis, Tyson and Neal-Bullen. Petty comes into play Lever role and provide support to O Mac. Baker/Stretch and Spargo come in to provide some much needed run.

Petracca is out of form and has lost confidence in his kicking. Garlett gets his chance to use his pace both ways and kick goals.

We're also going to focus on having players off the contest to be target for a handball out of a contest. This replaces our current tactic of having all our players gathered at the contest and releasing to each other but not releasing the pressure.

And in a tactical innovation if the opposition are flooding out forward 50 we're actually going to try and draw them out by switching the ball rather than just repeatedly banging it long to the flood.

Finally we thank Jordan Lewis for his service to the Melbourne Football Club, and recognise his outstanding career at Hawthorn. The club has advised Jordan that he will not be considered for senior selection going forward. We look forward to Jordan mentoring our developing players at Casey through to expiration of his contract at end of 2019 season.

Edited by demoniac

30 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Frost should come into the side. I know he makes errors at times but he gives us more height/athleticism in defence. It also means that Hibberd can play more of a zoning role. Petty might be a better long-term player but he won't be better than Frost in 2018.

Vince and Lewis in the same defence hasn't worked against the better sides (particularly with Salem also there at times) and we look slow down back. I would drop Vince and give him a rest as the emergency this week.

I would also pick Weideman in place of T. Smith. Weideman has more upside and needs to really progress for us to win the flag IMO.

Petty can read the play and take an intercept mark. Frost just too prone too brain fades when he gets the ball. Would make a great rugby union forward.

If the choice is between Vince and Lewis then Lewis  is dropped. Treacle slow, goes to ground and his kicking has deteriorated. There just aint any forwards slow enough for Lewis to play on.

13 minutes ago, demoniac said:

Outs: Lewis, Tyson, Neal-Bullen, Smith, Petracca

Ins: Petty, Baker/Stretch, Spargo, Weidemann, Garlett

We're carrying too many one paced inside mids so out go Lewis, Tyson and Neal-Bullen. Petty comes into play Lever role and provide support to O Mac. Baker/Stretch and Spargo come in to provide some much needed run.

Petracca is out of form and has lost confidence in his kicking. Garlett gets his chance to use his pace both ways and kick goals.

We're also going to focus on having players off the contest to be target for a handball out of a contest. This replaces our current tactic of having all our players gathered at the contest and releasing to each other but not releasing the pressure.

And in a tactical innovation if the opposition are flooding out forward 50 we're actually going to try and draw them out by switching the ball rather than just repeatedly banging it long to the flood.

Finally we thank Jordan Lewis for his service to the Melbourne Football Club, and recognise his outstanding career at Hawthorn. The club has advised Jordan that he will not be considered for senior selection going forward. We look forward to Jordan mentoring our developing players at Casey through to expiration of his contract at end of 2019 season.

Is there any footage of Petty and Baker.

Edited by timbo
  • Haha 1