Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post Match Discussion - Round 14

Demonland

3 hours ago, Roost It said:

Garlett and Spargo need to play

We must not bomb it into 50 ever again

How did we lose that?

Port are shite and we just gave it to them with poor forward 50 entries

No point blaming the umpires that's what children do..........oh yes its demonland

Im not sure about the bombing or otherwise but what we lacked was improvisation and cunning to upgrade all that forward thrusting into currency ( score ) . 

Spargo has been a revelation... he's one of those who can turn nothing into something. Here we had a lot of something becoming nothing :(

Maybe Jeffy needs a trot also. 

we became ultra predictable....thats an opposition coach's dream !!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shorty said:

Id try Petracca at half back!

Yep...at Casey ??

• Like 1

Why are so many people frothing at the mouth for Garlett?  

He has shown, time and time again, that he goes missing in big games and when the heat is on.  How many big games over the last few years has he not shown up for?  His form has been average at best at Casey, and in a hotly contested, hard tackling game like last night, he would have had more chance of not giving us anything than being some sort of match winner.

The issue isn't what we're doing when the ball hits the deck, it's the way we create space for each other and the delivery inside 50.  Garlett wouldn't have change much of that, and unless he is ripping it up at Casey, I'd continue to look elsewhere.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Travis16 said:

Lever plays we win.  We didn't miss Lever?  Wow. As I said earlier, 39 inside 50's only.   But 62 % efficiency inside 50 is way above the AFL average. 

Maybe, maybe not. 

Lever not playing was not the issue.  What we did forward of the ball was.  If you can't see that yourself then I can't help you.

Was at the AO last night. WTF was Jesse doing!!!?? He was dropping out of marking contests and trying to crumb. His positioning was horrible was always too close to stoppages rather than next kick out. Constantly out of position. Seems he’s getting carried away with this playing up the ground role and thinks he’s a Ruck rover. Hoges your a effn KP Power Fwd. Start playing like one. I think back to his first year and his contested marking was elite. A real strength. Now he’s relying on uncontested marks. Really frustrating to watch when you know what he’s capable of but seems this other role has him caught in no mans land at times. I know he’s kicked 30 odd goals but I reckon he could have even more impact if he got back to clunking contested balls. I’m sure he will bounce back but maybe they need to re assess how he’s best utilised. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, olisik said:

Been watching soccer and there’s a reason why that game is globally adopted and AFL isn’t.

its rules are clear cut and easy to officiate.

You have fouls and handballs and that’s about it.

AFL On the other hand.....high tackle, sliding, holding the ball, swing tackle, kicking in danger, holding the man, rough conduct, throw..I can go on all night...

Im sorry but this sport is quickly turning in to an absolute farce. I have no interest in watching neutral games anymore. A decade ago I couldn't miss them.

They are officiating to rules that don't actually exist and everything is being made up on the fly. Its getting ludicrous.

Reduce congestion which will reduce the need for so many farcical rules being tacked on to farcical rules. 

Anyone who cant see that this great sport of ours is spiralling out of control and relatively quickly, is completely deluded.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grand New Flag said:

I was at the game sitting at height. What I saw which did not come out on tv was Ports defensive tactic.  Many here are complaining about continuous long bombs into our forward 50, however the case is that Port defended excellently and quickly ran in numbers into our forward 50 once we had possession. Our f50 was always super crowded with Port players. Sometimes all 18 of them. They made it almost impossible to short pass. A long bomb to the top of the square was the best percentage play. 

Regardless we played better and deserved to win. Our biggest disappointment was not putting the game to bed in the 3rd when we had them on toast.  The crowd got very involved and the umpires were certainly influenced by the crowd. It is rare that umpires influence the outcome of a game, but on this day we were murdered by the maggots.  Port were continuously awarded soft free kicks in front of goal, where at the other end our players were blocked, pushed in the back, and illegally held without one free kick (from memory). The 50 meter penalty awarded to win the game for Port was disgraceful.

32 players inside a 50m arc is not a sport I enjoy watching. That isn't what footy should be. Im even struggling to enjoy Melbourne games now. 36 seagulls fighting over a bag of hot chips - a lucky flick out the back to a seagull on the outside who then flies off with it. 

exciting until that seagull drops the chip and the other 35 catch up to him and started squabbling over it again.

Is anyone even noticing how the quanitity of reasonable highlights in any given game of footy has fallen off a cliff. Nothing happens anymore. fumble, fumble, fumble, handpass(throw), fumble, fumble, fumble, fumble, quick handpass(throw) fumble fumble, fumble, fumble, fumble, arm pinned, free kick. kick, fumble, fumble , fumble, fumble, fumble, quick handpass(throw) , snap shot , goal.  …….. return to centre, rinse and repeat.

Edited by Fitz Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Danelska said:

Can you simplify this for me...I'm a bit slow...:)

1. Our whole team lost the sniff when the umpires decided to interfere with the talent flow that we were exhibiting.

2. Creative yet still incorrect decisions that nobody could imagine were sustained across the game as each of the 4 umpires decided that they needed to be seen and heard by the crowd in a favourable light.

3. The crowd gave them a favourable light as a consequence and those violations of the codes of the game were sustained.

4. The FD is letting the players and supporters down with team selections, inconsistencies and 'stabs' in the dark at the expense of conditioned experience and more perfect player deployments. 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

If our forward 50 was overcrowded by their players on a continuous basis, and it was paying off, it means that they were confident enough to do that knowing that they were not going to be penalized by the umpires for giving away too many frees. This situation is not the first time it has happened, and how would they (opposition teams) know that???

The other point of course is that our back end passing and positioning is not good enough to draw them back out....

10 minutes ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

Has anyone got a clip of Viney back-pressing 110kg Charlie Dixon while being tackled? And kept his feet. That was pretty frickin cool. 3rd quarter I think? 

It's on the AFL website in highlights from the game section.

Sorry I'm no good at embedding videos or whatever it is.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Soidee said:

We choked!  Leaders should of taken control in last but as usual went missing.

I thought two of the leaders in Vince and Lewis actually kept us alive with consistent efforts setting up across mid/half forward to give us multiple forward entries. Thought they were for the most part composed and gave us a pulse.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Why are so many people frothing at the mouth for Garlett?  

He has shown, time and time again, that he goes missing in big games and when the heat is on.  How many big games over the last few years has he not shown up for?  His form has been average at best at Casey, and in a hotly contested, hard tackling game like last night, he would have had more chance of not giving us anything than being some sort of match winner.

The issue isn't what we're doing when the ball hits the deck, it's the way we create space for each other and the delivery inside 50.  Garlett wouldn't have change much of that, and unless he is ripping it up at Casey, I'd continue to look elsewhere.

He's a goal kicker and has consistently hit the scoreboard in the four seasons he's played with us.  

In regards to 'big games':

4 goals vs Geelong when we beat them at the Cattery in 2015.

4 goals vs Richmond ANZAC eve in 2016.

2 goals vs Adelaide in the AdOval win in 2017.

Even in the round 23 match against Collingwood last year he kicked 2.2 from 18 disposals.

He's kicked goals in every Queen's Birthday match, every ANZAC eve game, every opening round match and even this year his 4 goals against Brisbane were match winning.  I understand people's issues with him as a player, but the fact of the matter is, he kicks more goals than any small forward we've had since Farmer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Petracca surely has to go to Casey! Surely...

We miss that crum pressure forward BIG time. Garlett has to come in. Sooner the better... He has a role to play. 

A Frost down back would help also. Do we stick with Joel Smith? Maybe one more week. 

Dont let the season slip Dees! 

2 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

He's a goal kicker and has consistently hit the scoreboard in the four seasons he's played with us.  

In regards to 'big games':

4 goals vs Geelong when we beat them at the Cattery in 2015.

4 goals vs Richmond ANZAC eve in 2016.

2 goals vs Adelaide in the AdOval win in 2017.

Even in the round 23 match against Collingwood last year he kicked 2.2 from 18 disposals.

He's kicked goals in every Queen's Birthday match, every ANZAC eve game, every opening round match and even this year his 4 goals against Brisbane were match winning.  I understand people's issues with him as a player, but the fact of the matter is, he kicks more goals than any small forward we've had since Farmer.

To be fair, there have also been numerous games where he has kicked a couple in junk time or just not hit the scoreboard in some of those big games as well.   The above are good examples, but they are three from the last 4 years (I'm sure you and I could go back through and find them on both sides, though, so it's a moot point really).

I guess my post came from the fact that he gives no reason for inclusion in our side.  If he had jagged 4 or 5 today, or supporters said he laid numerous tackles and put on a heap of pressure, then I'd be more inclined to include him.  It doesn't sound like he is doing anything of the sort, and therefore doesn't deserve a run in the side.  

He may still get picked, and I'd hope more than anything he would play well, but everyone pleading for his return are pretty short sighted after the year he has had to date.

• Like 2

There's an old adage ...those not part of a solution....are part of the problem.

There's a few last night that should hide sheepishly....

Some have had some hesitant bunny hopping games...and also some good ones. 

Some are quite frankly showing as serial offenders. Magoos for you.

The breakout kid might need a reboot ?

19 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

There's an old adage ...those not part of a solution....are part of the problem.

There's a few last night that should hide sheepishly....

Some have had some hesitant bunny hopping games...and also some good ones. 

Some are quite frankly showing as serial offenders. Magoos for you.

The breakout kid might need a reboot ?

Name names!

Port's 2nd half of footy was just too good for us ... we rushed most of our possessions in the 2nd half because of their pressure so consequently,  our system of moving the ball forward became extremely haphazard.  

The energy,  effort & endeavour was there but our application was poor.  Another lesson learned on the way to hopefully becoming a really good team.  The pressure was finals-like but it's not like we got thrashed.  We just simply lost a close game that we could have won.

@jumbo returns  mentioned that we lacked composure and JR is right.  We obviously need to get better in that area and hopefully we will get better in that area.  It is not by any means panic stations but we need to learn how to be skillful,  composed and show poise under real pressure.

We are still a work in progress and we need to keep adding good players to the list. 

• Like 3

O Mac can accept a $2000 fine for the Marshall clash. Careless conduct with low impact to the head as judged by Mr MRO. 

Some of us believed it didn’t deserve a 50m penalty. I thought you were allowed to compete for the ball. What’s one to do when in midair? Stick out an elbow out like Jeremy Cameron?

• Shocked 2