Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Umpire Report

Willmoy1947

4 hours ago, daisycutter said:

add brayshaw's 4q mark to that. it was held much longer than wingard's

on the melk one, why didn't one of the other 3 umpires have the guts to overide the dh one?

Those useless maggots don’t have the guts to be even evenhanded in Adelaide and in Oerth. 

• Like 2

I sit firmly in the "the umpires cost us the game camp" read any of my posts after the game and you will see me ranting "[censored] the umps" like a deranged person.

And all of us who sit in that camp firmly understand that given our Fwd 50 entries we should have won the match. 

So, we understand that Melbourne are the reason that we didn't win the match, but the umpires are the reason we lost the match. That is why we are so angry.

A free is a free when it is a free, and at no other time. You cant pick and choose when you are going to officiate depending on the team, the crowd or the individual player involved. That is why we are so angry.

The AFL umpiring section has form over many years of, some clubs (lets say Hawthorn), some crowds (West Coast) and some players (Selwood) being treated as different from the rest. That is why we are so angry.

All we want is a level playing field. 

You used to hear that "footy is a great leveller", people don't say that much anymore......funny that.

Edited by wrecka45
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, deebug said:

Clubs need too stand firm as do the players, imagine being players doing the right thing at getting told, well free kick plus a 50 metre? I don't now how they can keep their cool at times such as Melk did on Friday night?

Because they are becoming used to the outrageous randomness of the refereeing. There were a number of whistles blown where no player on either side knew what the free was for.

Also several times their players ran into the "protected zone" which suddenly didn't exist any more. They also seemed to have plenty of time to dispose of the ball after a mark or free.

Nothing gets done about it because the AFL don't care. They've shown it by their (non) actions time and time again. To their mind it does not harm the game. 40,000 people showed up didn't they? So it's a minor issue if an issue at all.

The best thing that could have happened is EFC thrashing WCE in the face of a hugely lop sided free kick count. Takes away every excuse about winning team must have played the ball not the man, etc etc. A shame it was on Friday night, which by Mon AM is practically ancient history to the media duds.

Maybe it will have some traction over coming weeks.

But nothing will really happen to fix this, even the bullsh*t random decisions and non-decisions in every game every week, until there is root and branch reform of the umpires department. Every incoming umps director buys into this fantasy of "interpretation" which exists only in AFL level football and in no other sport. It seems no umps director is familiar with the actual written rules and works off a version that exists only in their heads. (Examples: Gieschen and Buddy's "natural arc"; Schwab and his "attacking third of the ground" after the Dusty Martin/GWS non-50 metre non-decision early in 2017. There are others.)

I don't believe the umps are biased or cheats. They are like untrained workers on a dangerous work site. With poor training and a lack of interest from the bosses, of course accidents will happen.

In the AFL situation, where the umps are part time, are working off poorly written rules, overseen by someone who does not know those rules, and are given tacit encouragement not to enforce those rules (eg how many of the players touching umps were reported even though that is in the rules as a reportable offence, no ifs buts or maybes), and in fact seem to be encouraged to buddy up to players and even coach them in their responsibilities ... what hope have they got?

It's a recipe for poor refereeing, and that's what we get, and the AFL clearly couldn't care less.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tony Tea said:

I reckon Westhoff kicked the last goal because the 50 he was paid was closer to 75.

The umps don't know the distances. They don't train for it.

At a game, count the bands of grass across the ground inside 50. Gives you a clue as to how far 10m is. Usually the bands are between 9m and 12m across.

Then watch how many short kicks, paid as marks, don't go as far as one band of grass.

The umps are at ground level and don't get to see the grass as clearly as we can from the stands. But they can train to judge distance. Ask any good golfer.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tony Tea said:

I reckon Westhoff kicked the last goal because the 50 he was paid was closer to 75.

Westhoff is a perennial , hard done by, junk yard dog, who mopes around, pushing blokes in the back, telling the maggots how cruel it was to him in every contest. 

In contrast you see Jones who doesn't suck for any frees when he's playing or when he's going up for the toss or even during every break.

You name other Captains,  Cotchin, Ablett and Pendelbury for a start . They are the biggest sucks in the AFL and that's just to name three.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

At a game, count the bands of grass across the ground inside 50. Gives you a clue as to how far 10m is. Usually the bands are between 9m and 12m across.

Then watch how many short kicks, paid as marks, don't go as far as one band of grass.

The umps are at ground level and don't get to see the grass as clearly as we can from the stands. But they can train to judge distance. Ask any good golfer.

umpiring is so amateurish and behind the times

this is why we need professional umpires with a degree of independence from afl/coaches interference

and it's not just professional umpires it's a whole professional umpire support organisation that is responsible for the education, training, grading and evaluation of professional umpires

a professional umpiring organisation would have at least similar numbers of a typical afl club organisation if they were serious

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

umpiring is so amateurish and behind the times

this is why we need professional umpires with a degree of independence from afl/coaches interference

and it's not just professional umpires it's a whole professional umpire support organisation that is responsible for the education, training, grading and evaluation of professional umpires

a professional umpiring organisation would have at least similar numbers of a typical afl club organisation if they were serious

Making them professional will also make them accountable. The sooner it happens the better. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Yes and yes. They should ref to the rule book and there should be no consideration of their contribution to the "entertainment" of the game. (Weekly crowds averaging over 25K per game would indicate that there might be an inherent entertainment factor anyway?)

And who thinks Clarko wouldn't be trying a bit of reverse influencing as his club gets first drop on new rules (and how to hustle them)?

38 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

OK, I think I've spotted the deliberate error, do I get a prize?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Golf. A totally apt comparison. Hmmm that looks to be a hard 7. Nope easy 6. 

Maybe umpires are just dopey

2 hours ago, willmoy said:

Westhoff is a perennial , hard done by, junk yard dog, who mopes around, pushing blokes in the back, telling the maggots how cruel it was to him in every contest. 

In contrast you see Jones who doesn't suck for any frees when he's playing or when he's going up for the toss or even during every break.

You name other Captains,  Cotchin, Ablett and Pendelbury for a start . They are the biggest sucks in the AFL and that's just to name three.

Maybe we should suck up more

2 hours ago, wrecka45 said:

I sit firmly in the "the umpires cost us the game camp" read any of my posts after the game and you will see me ranting "[censored] the umps" like a deranged person.

And all of us who sit in that camp firmly understand that given our Fwd 50 entries we should have won the match. 

So, we understand that Melbourne are the reason that we didn't win the match, but the umpires are the reason we lost the match. That is why we are so angry.

A free is a free when it is a free, and at no other time. You cant pick and choose when you are going to officiate depending on the team, the crowd or the individual player involved. That is why we are so angry.

The AFL umpiring section has form over many years of, some clubs (lets say Hawthorn), some crowds (West Coast) and some players (Selwood) being treated as different from the rest. That is why we are so angry.

You used to hear that "footy is a great leveller", people don't say that much anymore......funny that.

Totally agree, Demons could have won it with better ball use going into 50 zone, but umps finally lost it for us.

Hawthorn get great treatment, rarely ever stand on the mark, always over it!  Certain players get special treatment, Demons as a team and none of our players are in either of these special categories!

Dont think we will ever see a level playing field!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deestar said:

Absolutely agree .... That was ridiculous. One on One contest called a block .... It's called protecting the ball drop zone with strength. If there gorilla forward had done it it would have been great show of strength.

I can't recall if they scored from that 50m or not .... But so so costly.

Pretty sure they took it down and kicked a goal

4 hours ago, wrecka45 said:

This.

What everybody who says we lost the match with our 50 entries fails to see is that we would have won anyway, despite our 50 entries, if the umpires officiated the game remotely fairly.

If we got a fair playing field, and used our entries properly, we would have won by about 15 goals.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

22 hours ago, timbo said:

What can clubs do realistically?

go on strike? Sue the league?

and that's the problem and why I want the data so I can try and pull it apart and find the main offenders - quantitative data indisputable 

Do what Clarkson did and go confront Gill.  MFC needs to grow some in this area and ask for  please explain on the Melk / O-Mac decisions that effectively cost us the match.

Eddie would be on the phone first thing this morning  and allover the airways.

We've been the whipping boy of the AFL for too long in this area.

• Like 6
  • Angry 1

21 hours ago, SFebey said:

Another thing I’ve noticed recently is why are they calling play on so quickly after a mark, the player hardly has enough time to get back and take his kick before they call play on, often resulting in a rushed kick and turnover. Obvious v Pies, they seemed to have more time and then again v Port.

The other change i noticed against the Pies was the umps were super quick at throwing the ball up not allowing the rucks to get set for the contest.  I got the impression they didnt want to do Maxy any favours with his height advantage.

Imagine this in a final or GF...."lets just officiate this one completely differently from the rest of the year shall we?!"...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rusty Nails said:

The other change i noticed against the Pies was the umps were super quick at throwing the ball up not allowing the rucks to get set for the contest.  I got the impression they didnt want to do Maxy any favours with his height advantage.

Imagine this in a final or GF...."lets just officiate this one completely differently from the rest of the year shall we?!"...

Totally sick of watching footy, different rules each week. Supporters are over it. Poor spectacle and they want to make more rule changes in October when they don’t even understand the current ones 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, D4Life said:

30 frees against, second half worst umpiring almost ever!

Normally over loss next day, but am still cursing the umpires!

Wingard non mark paid

Dixon 75 metre penalty

Melksham x 2 goals disallowed plus 50 metre penalty against

Brayshaw mark not paid

As other poster mentioned, ball in our forward 50, 68 times and we hardly got a free inside 50, total BS!

Umpires had at least a six goal impact, absolutely disgraceful!

19 hours ago, deestar said:

See that vision physicaly make me ill. 

Nichols should not be allowed to umpire MFC games .... Time and time again he kills us. There needs to be a please explain. Doesn't change the result bit this is utter garage

On 6/24/2018 at 12:28 AM, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

The expression on the Umpire's face says it all. All about remorse and conscience, 'but i've still got to do it because i hate seeing them win and we must subjugate them or we let the genie out of the bag'.............

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Nicholls is a [censored].

Each team should be able to nominate two umpires who they won’t accept umpiring their games, would highlight the worst umpires quickly!

Did I mention, Nicholls is a [censored], and the other three from Friday night are pretty close!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1