Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Brad Green

McQueen

Petracca in a rut?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SFebey said:

I'm sure that radio stations do a trawl thru supporter forums to get there daily agenda's sorted.

G'day to the crew at SEN.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, McQueen said:

I'm sure that radio stations do a trawl thru supporter forums to get there daily agenda's sorted.

G'day to the crew at SEN.

Yeah nothing we haven't already spoken about it is it, I just posted it to help the forum more than anything though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been said here already but IMO Petracca is suffering under "he's gonna be like dusty" tag. DeGoey actually IS  is like dusty in how he plays.... Petracca isnt. He's Still a decent player but I cant see him ever doing to other sides what deGoey did to us yesterday. I, like quite  a few here, have never seen  his "explosive pace". I see him mainly as excellent overhead, and a beast around the ball.  But he just  isnt yet really imposing himself yet in either area...and for me the alarm bells are just starting to sound. Feel like he needs to take a step up or end up being a fringe player. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's listed at 96kg on the AFL app, needs to lose 10kg and build a tank, too heavy IMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poita said:

Still not fit enough, still doesn't get enough possessions, still doesn't hurt teams when he does get the ball.

He is possibly the most talented player on the list, but on performances he is a borderline selection at the moment.

If he wins the ball within 60 metres of goal he should be having a shot, not passing sideways and backwards. 

Sadly De Goey has gone way past him as a player. De Goey takes the game on and backs himself in to make things happen. He looks super fit and wins the ball in important places. Petracca seems happy flitting about on the periphery.

Fair comment.

Needs to either use his bulk to advantage in the packs or get some weight off and work on his aerobic and anaerobic fitness to improve both pace and sustained running (unless he is carrying an injury or other physical problem that restricts his ability to improve fitness).

Folks make comments about his attitude, but this is speculation. He did not appear to have a big head on the footy show. Indeed, the reverse, quite shy and modest.

I would not drop him, at least not yet. I don't see anyone else that would be a better option.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, timbo said:

Why is he playing then

 

Never heard of a player carrying an injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

 

Never heard of a player carrying an injury?

I think you missed my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SFebey said:

He's listed at 96kg on the AFL app, needs to lose 10kg and build a tank, too heavy IMO

Nah not 10kgs 90-92  kgs and he would be a unstoppable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, timbo said:

I think you missed my point.

You had one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2018 at 6:18 PM, Win4theAges said:

McGuire knew exactly what he was doing when he invited him onto the footy show before this game it's all gone to his head.

We got built up to be knocked down by all and sundry, we looked tired today no excuse  i hope my observations of today are right and we come back after the bye firing on all cylinders.

 

I don’t watch that crap but he needs to start focusing on playing football ..... refuse all media approaches unless and until he puts together a string of top rate games 

Too many players seem to get ahead of themselves, and / or believe media hype that is inappropriate 

Presumably he uses twitter and / or Facebook or other antisocial media ..... maybe the players need to be told to dump these until they win a flag, then and only then are allowed to use them for one week and one week only. 

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting his ambitions mixed up with his capabilities.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monoccular said:

I don’t watch that crap but he needs to start focusing on playing football ..... refuse all media approaches unless and until he puts together a string of top rate games 

Too many players seem to get ahead of themselves, and / or believe media hype that is inappropriate 

Presumably he uses twitter and / or Facebook or other antisocial media ..... maybe the players need to be told to dump these until they win a flag, then and only then are allowed to use them for one week and one week only. 

I know last week was a special day for the club and the cause is a great one for a man who led this club for a decade with distiction.

We plain and simply got caught up in the occassion, We were slow out of the blocks so slow in our mind and focus, we froze on the day(pardon the pun), we were already on break.

The focus that was on our club was something that we are not use to, in one way its was good learning curve for everyone involved in and around the club. 

Glad to have this week out of the way with this experience under the belts of everyone involved with the MFC.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to see in Petracca what was predicted for Watts : a player about to have a break-out game.

He's been around for a good while now and hasn't produced much more than glimpses of possibility. What's the go Christian? Are you a gun who is just a little bit over-awed, a bit shy? Not likely, but!

Have a look at young Spargo. No glamour there but he's kicked more goals than you have recently. And he tackles hard too.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, doug williams said:

I'm starting to see in Petracca what was predicted for Watts : a player about to have a break-out game.

He's been around for a good while now and hasn't produced much more than glimpses of possibility. What's the go Christian? Are you a gun who is just a little bit over-awed, a bit shy? Not likely, but!

Have a look at young Spargo. No glamour there but he's kicked more goals than you have recently. And he tackles hard too.

Yep, Spargo has been a breath of fresh air. Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen someone so young completely throw themselves at the ball, continuously attack the oppo and back himself to take the game on like he does. 

With time, polish and fitness will come, even improved decision making, but he’s absolutely competitive and he makes up for his stature in his aggressiveness at the contest. 

Just wish Trac showed more of this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 12:10 PM, SFebey said:

He's listed at 96kg on the AFL app, needs to lose 10kg and build a tank, too heavy IMO

Yeah, if that's accurate he could probably do with losing 8-10kgs, particularly if he wants to play midfield.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2018 at 5:35 PM, McQueen said:

Another very average performance by Trac today. 

He drastically needs to improve his tank over the next pre season and shed a few kilos if he’s going to become the player we think he can be in my opinion.

Is a run in the Magoos on the cards?

The talent and vigour seem to have disappeared from his game, suggesting a lack of drive at present. Does he train the house down each week? Does he control and apply himself with diet, fitness, skills practices, integrated training with teammates? Why do second-rate taggers and opponents shut him down? These issues are more than the nouse of opposition coaches 'out-coaching' Goodwin - as each week Petracca almost lines up in a new spot that may suit his game, not the team. Yet, at the end of the day he is still underperforming relative to his earlier endeavours once he made the AFL-grade competition. A poster this week suggested laziness as a driver of underperforming. Perhaps this is correct. The cries were: 'Petracca is a beast - there is no stopping him'. That impression has waned considerably further reinforcing doubt on his application at this point. He is such a potentially great footballer that all of this criticism and a related downward slide in his performances at this stage of the season could disappear in mere days and remain repatriated for the rest of the season. Let us hope that this occurs - he is a supporter favourite and is widely admired for his talents.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DeezNuts said:

Yep, Spargo has been a breath of fresh air. Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen someone so young completely throw themselves at the ball, continuously attack the oppo and back himself to take the game on like he does. 

With time, polish and fitness will come, even improved decision making, but he’s absolutely competitive and he makes up for his stature in his aggressiveness at the contest. 

Just wish Trac showed more of this!!

Spargo has displayed signs of a very good player and when he gains experience and settles into the level of the game, he is going to be a gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 9:00 PM, monoccular said:

I don’t watch that crap but he needs to start focusing on playing football ..... refuse all media approaches unless and until he puts together a string of top rate games 

Too many players seem to get ahead of themselves, and / or believe media hype that is inappropriate 

Presumably he uses twitter and / or Facebook or other antisocial media ..... maybe the players need to be told to dump these until they win a flag, then and only then are allowed to use them for one week and one week only. 

I was appalled to see him on the Footy Show, with Maguire and the slow brainer (Newman) ready to pounce at ridicule opportunities - including a basketball shoot-out with a faulty ring/backboard set-up to reinforce mediocrity. The MFC needs to take particular care as to who from our playing group is presented to the media where less than optimal interviews and interactions can be controlled for a deliberate, specific negative effect. It was an appalling appearance and quite degrading. Another reason to bypass watching that crap show in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

I was appalled to see him on the Footy Show, with Maguire and the slow brainer (Newman) ready to pounce at ridicule opportunities - including a basketball shoot-out with a faulty ring/backboard set-up to reinforce mediocrity. The MFC needs to take particular care as to who from our playing group is presented to the media where less than optimal interviews and interactions can be controlled for a deliberate, specific negative effect. It was an appalling appearance and quite degrading. Another reason to bypass watching that crap show in the future.

Yep, leadership group only. Save players for club interviews only.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Seems to be a highly tallented player who can’t fit into an offensive or on ball position. Maybe try him in the backline for a while where he has to play disciplined. Play him against type just like Tmac. Lyndon Dunn was like that also. 

Edited by america de cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just hoping we don’t have another Sylvia or Watts

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 9:30 PM, monoccular said:

I don’t watch that crap but he needs to start focusing on playing football ..... refuse all media approaches unless and until he puts together a string of top rate games 

Too many players seem to get ahead of themselves, and / or believe media hype that is inappropriate 

Presumably he uses twitter and / or Facebook or other antisocial media ..... maybe the players need to be told to dump these until they win a flag, then and only then are allowed to use them for one week and one week only. 

If your boss told you weren't allowed to go on Demonland in your spare time outside of work until you hit a KPI at work - what would you say? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 12:10 PM, SFebey said:

He's listed at 96kg on the AFL app, needs to lose 10kg and build a tank, too heavy IMO

Ollie Wines is 97-99kg. You think he should lose some weight to be able to play well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Ollie Wines is 97-99kg. You think he should lose some weight to be able to play well?

You can't compare Ollie Wines to Petracca. One has a tank and best mid in his side, the other puffs in the warm up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SFebey said:

You can't compare Ollie Wines to Petracca. One has a tank and best mid in his side, the other puffs in the warm up.

That’s my point. His weight does not necessarily stop him from having a tank  - as per Wines. I think Petracca’s problem is between his ears. He needs a serious wake up call now, or he’ll always be that guy who threatens to have a brake out game - and this blog can not afford another one of those.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×