Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Kent and vandenBerg

Vipercrunch

24 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Accepted but other than trading Kent for a "give away draft choice" at say 60 plus I cannot see any of the other scenarios playing out.

Must admit the seemingly constant rookie listing changes have somewhat lost me.

Trading these days sees complex deals so we shouldn't be looking at Player X for a specific draft pick number. All sorts of things get packaged together so that ultimately it could be something like Players X, Y and Z plus draft picks from this year and next involving three other clubs with us ultimately receiving a first round draft pick plus three picks in the fifth round. The complexity of the deals is one of the reasons "trade week" is longer than a week as the often involve multiple parties who all have to agree.

I like both to make it back and play plenty of games for the club. I saw a breakdown of games played for the current list of core players, and best 22... and surprisingly, there's a huge gulf between the older guys, Lewis, Vince and Jones... (maybe Garlett who's 29 and has played 170+, and Pedo).... and the next group. I think of Kent as a young kid who's just about to establish himself, but he's actually almost 25 and is 61 games in.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-melbourne-demons?sby=13&year=2018

I'd encourage anyone to take a look at our top-down list for games played and imagine a list structure. It's some of the best reading around for Dees fans. The core guys are all yet to crack 100... the only names that'll need replacing in the next 3 years are the big three older guys... Vince and Lewis the only really alarming ones there, and both have had superb seasons this year. Pedo has Weid and Smith in the background ready to take his role. After that it's Jetta, Hibbo, Garlett... Then Gawn is 26, TMac is 25... We haven't even started talking about the Olivers, Hogans, Brayshaws, Traccas... What a time to be alive.

For Vanders and Kent who are 26 and 24... they actually have a fair bit of time. The only issue is they're playing for a similar spot in the team. If Vanders could get some backline skills he could certainly find a home there... but we are so horrendously stacked for forwards right now... it'd be the hardest place to get a game. Hogan, TMac, Melksham, ANB are undroppable. Then Fritsch, Hannan, Gawn, Petracca, Harmes and Spargo are all playing serious minutes in there. Smith, Bugg, Garlett and Pedo are still in the frame.

Good luck to Kent and Vanders right now. I see a place on the list for sure... they're a good age to make a difference. But getting in will be very tough and require a lot of injuries. What's in their favour is the fact that Goody likes picking a player you wouldn't think of, as long as he has form and fitness in the VFL. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

I like both to make it back and play plenty of games for the club. I saw a breakdown of games played for the current list of core players, and best 22... and surprisingly, there's a huge gulf between the older guys, Lewis, Vince and Jones... (maybe Garlett who's 29 and has played 170+, and Pedo).... and the next group. I think of Kent as a young kid who's just about to establish himself, but he's actually almost 25 and is 61 games in.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-melbourne-demons?sby=13&year=2018

I'd encourage anyone to take a look at our top-down list for games played and imagine a list structure. It's some of the best reading around for Dees fans. The core guys are all yet to crack 100... the only names that'll need replacing in the next 3 years are the big three older guys... Vince and Lewis the only really alarming ones there, and both have had superb seasons this year. Pedo has Weid and Smith in the background ready to take his role. After that it's Jetta, Hibbo, Garlett... Then Gawn is 26, TMac is 25... We haven't even started talking about the Olivers, Hogans, Brayshaws, Traccas... What a time to be alive.

For Vanders and Kent who are 26 and 24... they actually have a fair bit of time. The only issue is they're playing for a similar spot in the team. If Vanders could get some backline skills he could certainly find a home there... but we are so horrendously stacked for forwards right now... it'd be the hardest place to get a game. Hogan, TMac, Melksham, ANB are undroppable. Then Fritsch, Hannan, Gawn, Petracca, Harmes and Spargo are all playing serious minutes in there. Smith, Bugg, Garlett and Pedo are still in the frame.

Good luck to Kent and Vanders right now. I see a place on the list for sure... they're a good age to make a difference. But getting in will be very tough and require a lot of injuries. What's in their favour is the fact that Goody likes picking a player you wouldn't think of, as long as he has form and fitness in the VFL. 

There is a hole in the 25-26 age bracket.

Hoping we will target some players in this range to fill specific needs

4 hours ago, defuture15 said:

There is a hole in the 25-26 age bracket.

Hoping we will target some players in this range to fill specific needs

4 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Screw the age bracket, we can set up with our list and some subtle changes and be a force for many years 

I gotta go with RGRS. As long as the 22-24s are performing like 25-26 what's the point? It's not like we're the baby bombers, or Hawks in 2008...  I fully expect we will turn the list over. A few choice 28 year olds will come to us and we'll lose a Hunt here and an ANB there... but overall I reckon the core won't be touched. Every demons fan's core will differ slightly, but they'll usually have the names Hogan, Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, Viney, OMac, TMac, Salem, Lever, Melksham and Brayshaw in there. Every one of those is under 25 aside from Gawn (26), Melks (26) and TMac (25). Keep them and allow for some movement elsewhere, and you have yourself a premiership window that takes up one whole wall of your house. 25-26 year olds be damned.

• Like 1

I liked Vanders aggression and intensity at a time when we lacked it as a team and club, but injuries have effectively ended his career. He wasn't cemented in our best 22 back then, and he'd be lucky to get a game now considering how far we've come. 
He'll be 27 years old heading into next season. A 27 year old who has played total of 28 games, hasn't played in two years, averages 15 disposals and 0.6 goals a game... that is the definition of delist material and the easiest decision the list manager will need to make this summer. Appreciate what he brought years ago when he burst onto the scene with that aggression, but the game and our team have long since moved beyond that. 

Kent on the other hand has still showed something this year before getting injured again. He has a lot more competition for spots now and may get a short contract renewal. However I think it's more likely he will get traded back to a WA club for a late pick.

• Like 2

Vanders has always played a little 'shorter' than he is when the ball is in dispute and a little 'taller' than he is when it's in the air.

Those effing ankles...

I would try to keep both in some form as there is more value to both than we can get during trade week.

Depends on what the club wants to do with the Kings, JKHs, and Johnstones of the list...

8 minutes ago, samcantstandya said:

Questions r how long b4 they play & r they good enough 2 stay on the list

Unfortunately, the real question will be "How long till they are injured again?"

I have never seen McKenna kick a footy in a MFC jumper, even in training footage. At least i remember that AVB was a good player at his best.

Real shame.

• Shocked 1

On 6/8/2018 at 1:45 PM, poita said:

Vandenberg is 26 years old with 28 games to his name, the last of which was almost two years ago. His skills are atrocious (particularly by hand) and he averages 15 possessions and 0.6 goals a game. I was amazed that he got a contract to play this season when he wasn't back training at the time. It would be such a backward step to even contemplate giving him a game either this year or next. Our young half forwards (eg Spargo, Fritsch and Hannan) are miles ahead of Vandenberg and are much younger. I can't see him playing another AFL game.

Kent showed earlier this season that his best football is good enough, but between his regular injuries and his inability to keep his focus and intensity up for more than two weeks at a time, how could you possibly trust him to perform in a big game? I assume he'll be given a one year contract because we have higher priority delistings, but he would need to perform at Casey on his return.

stored salary cap space???

On 6/7/2018 at 3:53 PM, Demonland said:

I was a big fan of vandenBerg when he was fit. He always bobbed up for a couple of goals. It's going to be tough to sneak back into the team but if he can keep fit and find his way in through form at Casey then I think he will offer something.

Having said that another injury would probably spell the end of his career. I hope he can stay fit.

Good problem to have

On 6/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

We are required to delist a minimum of three players at years end as I understand it.

JKH is probably one.

One of the two in this thread has to be in the mix.. if not who else?

Maynard ?? McKenna? DJ ?

Nothing wrong with discussing who is on the fringe as it makes watching their performances in the VFL more interesting.

McKenna must be on thin ice? And Bugg?  Has Kent's hamstring recurring problem been the same leg?  How many games has he missed through hamstring injuries?  I hear that JKH has been burning it up at VFL but where would he fit in at AFL and whom would he displace?

I am glad that I am not the list manager.

1 hour ago, samcantstandya said:

Questions r how long b4 they play & r they good enough 2 stay on the list

They meaning VDB, and Kent or McKenna?

• Shocked 1

On 6/7/2018 at 7:47 PM, Adzman said:

Kent can still break into the side.

Can't see Vanders making it back.

If Vanders doesn’t make it back then I hope that they can retain him with Casey so he can experience a Demon Premiership. That is what we should have done with Jack Trengrove instead of shipping him off to Port Adelaide where he is BOG for the Magpies in the SAFL. We have two teams in Premiership form at the moment so surely we can keep Casey strong without carrying players on our AFL list who are NQR for the speed of today’s game.

1 hour ago, CBDees said:

If Vanders doesn’t make it back then I hope that they can retain him with Casey so he can experience a Demon Premiership. That is what we should have done with Jack Trengrove instead of shipping him off to Port Adelaide where he is BOG for the Magpies in the SAFL. We have two teams in Premiership form at the moment so surely we can keep Casey strong without carrying players on our AFL list who are NQR for the speed of today’s game. 

Pretty sure that getting on an AFL list with Port - even if he was likely to play in the SANFL - was more attractive than signing with Casey!

• Like 2