Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson Interview



Petraccattack

All Australian watch

Recommended Posts

If the team was picked now how many would we have?

I have 4 Demons in the team -  Gawn (ruck),  Hogan (CHF /anywhere in the forward line), Jetta (back pocket) and Oliver (ruck rover or bench).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Petraccattack said:

If the team was picked now how many would we have?

I have 4 Demons in the team -  Gawn (ruck),  Hogan (CHF /anywhere in the forward line), Jetta (back pocket) and Oliver (ruck rover or bench).

What's your team? Hibberd just before Jetta for mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have just the three - Gawn, Oliver and Hogan.

Why 3?  It's the even spread of contributions from everyone in the side at the moment.  The above 3 are the consistent standouts for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melksham would be in the conversation as well, wasn't great today due to injury, but had strung together 5 quality games in a row before that, some of his stats are top end as well. Tom Mac would have been right up there had he not missed those first few games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gawn would be a lock for first ruck.

Hogan a lock for CHF.

Jetta a strong chance for back pocket.

Oliver and Melksham would both be in the squad of 40, but not in the 22 at this stage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jetta has to be in the conversation, he is the defensive wizard, I'm prepared to call him Gandalf, the way he wins unwinnable contests, time and again, 'you shall not pass', he just never gives up

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Australian side

B: Jetta, O.McDonald, J.Lewis

HB: Salem, Vince, Hibberd

C : Fritsch, Oliver, Jones

HF: Petracca, T.McDonald, Neal-Bullen

F: Melksham, Hogan, Spargo

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Harmes, T.Smith, Hannan, J.Smith

COACH: Goodwin

I would have Lever in it if he wasn't injured.

  • Like 10
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Jetta has to be in the conversation, he is the defensive wizard, I'm prepared to call him Gandalf, the way he wins unwinnable contests, time and again, 'you shall not pass', he just never gives up

The only thing against him at the moment might be his slow start to the season, although his last month has been sensational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

The only thing against him at the moment might be his slow start to the season, although his last month has been sensational.

agreed, but if we continue this big run of wins, people are going to forget the early games and just look at why we have dominated-he is part of that. I thought he had an oxygen tank today? is there somewhere you can see his GPS stats, he seemed to be covering a fair bit of the park they way he kept pushing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pies fans would be just as resolute about Grundy being ruck. It's very tight. I can't help but think whoever wins next week is in the box seat.

Hogan CHF, sort of on the assumption that Darling is a forward pocket and Brown full forward. If Darling is considered a CHF he would be ahead of Hogan. 

Oliver a very strong possibility of a bench spot. Won't start on the field because he's in his third season and has to be hazed.

Others have played AA quality games but haven't strung a heap together. Jetta and Hibberd were both were poor for the first 5 rounds, along with the rest of the back 6 (besides Oscar). Melksham has had a few blinders amongst a greater number of good ordinary games (like today). 

We're playing so well because we are very even across the park. Look at our spread in the votes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

The only thing against him at the moment might be his slow start to the season, although his last month has been sensational.

His season last year would more than erase his slow start to the year, keep up his current form and he is a lock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Thrice said:

Pies fans would be just as resolute about Grundy being ruck. It's very tight. I can't help but think whoever wins next week is in the box seat.

 

If you were to go purely on their ruck work, then Gawn wins.  He leads the comp in hitouts and hitouts to advantage (and another one they mentioned today, but I can't remember what that was.)

Grundy has more influence around the ground, but to me, the AA ruck should play the rucking role better than anyone else.  To me, that puts Gawn in the box seat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Gawn would be a lock for first ruck.

Hogan a lock for CHF.

Jetta a strong chance for back pocket.

Oliver and Melksham would both be in the squad of 40, but not in the 22 at this stage.

jack darling chf, Hogan on the flank

id have tmac in there too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: LAIRD, TARRANT, HIBBERD

HB: STEWART, RANCE, YEO

C : I.SMITH, MITCHELL, GAFF

HF: SIDEBOTTOM, HOGAN, HIGGINS

F: DARLING, BROWN, FRANKLIN

FOLL: GAWN, FYFE, OLIVER

IC: MARTIN, COTCHIN, DANGERFIELD, GRUNDY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Gawn and Grundy both in excellent form, I think they're both on track to make the team - one on the ground, one on the bench.

Hogan is definitely worthy of a forward or bench spot. If he finishes in the top 5 of the Coleman and continues to average 20 touches a game I can't see how they could not reward him, but Brad Green circa 2010 says hi.

While Oliver is having as good as season as he had last year (if not better), I fear he might miss out again. As we saw with Jmac and Jones struggling to get a bench spot during their B+F years, it seems to takes a phenomenal season for someone to get rewarded with All Australia midfield selection. Our even spread may work to his disadvantage.

Hibberd and Jetta have both been down on their 2017 form with glimpses of brilliance (Hibberd last week, Jetta this week) and I don't think either deserve to make it unless they consistently play games like those in the 2nd half of the year. You only need to look at the Demonland leaderboard on the right hand side of the page to see that not even we, diehard fans and members of the Jetta church, have rated those guys that highly this year. At their best, both are no doubt among the best defenders in the game, as is Lever, but I think the All Australian team tends to reward consistent excellence. Furthermore, the All Australian tends to reward guys with great stats and Jetta's numbers are rarely that high.

With that said, there have been plenty of selections based on media hype so if the Demon fugazi continues, the whole 22 should be in with a chance.

My smokies, for what it's worth, are Oscar McDonald - who would surely be high on the reverse Coleman at the moment - and Christian Petracca - who is quietly averaging 21 disposals and 0.8 goals a game playing mainly as a forward. If he can get 30 goals for the season he could sneak into the forward pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to see which Demon players Lloyd has in his rolling AA team on the Sunday Footy show today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AA for Jetter it is a no brainer. Last season  he was nominated,  however since Melbourne are building a reputation with the way  they are  consistently  winning Jetter is having a say and producing his best football.  Gawny and Hogan are lock ins  for AA and Hibberd is not too far away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matthew Lloyd has moved Tom McDonald into his rolling AA team.   And fair enough too, he has been unreal.

He also has Gawn as ruck, and Hogan in the forward pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Elegt said:

jack darling chf, Hogan on the flank

id have tmac in there too

Hogan has kicked more goals, had more disposals, more inside 50s, more score involvements, more goal assists, higher disposal efficiency, same amount of marks. Hogan has been the best forward in the game so far this season. He's been unreal, and I feel there hasn't been anywhere near enough recognition or hype for the season he's having. He's on track for 60+ goals while averaging midfielder numbers in terms of disposal etc. 
To top it off, Darling is now injured and was on crutches at the end of the Eagles game, so will likely miss a few matches at least. Hogan a lock for CHF and deservedly so.

TMac would also be in contention if he didn't miss the start of the season. If he keeps up his current form he'll make the squad but not the 22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Hogan has kicked more goals, had more disposals, more inside 50s, more score involvements, more goal assists, higher disposal efficiency, same amount of marks. Hogan has been the best forward in the game so far this season. He's been unreal, and I feel there hasn't been anywhere near enough recognition or hype for the season he's having. He's on track for 60+ goals while averaging midfielder numbers in terms of disposal etc. 
To top it off, Darling is now injured and was on crutches at the end of the Eagles game, so will likely miss a few matches at least. Hogan a lock for CHF and deservedly so.

TMac would also be in contention if he didn't miss the start of the season. If he keeps up his current form he'll make the squad but not the 22.

he's on best 22 form at the moment. Ben Brown best forward at the moment with tmac just behind and then Hogan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Brown will be FF, Hogan CHF. Hogan performing better IMO. Hogan's kicked 2 less goals in total, but averaging 10 disposals more, more marks, more inside 50s, more score assists etc than Brown. He's got him covered comfortably in pretty much every area and might pass him on goals too. They play different roles, but honestly Hogan's output is a step above any other forward in the competition this season. He's becoming Buddy like and incomparable to others, such is his output and brilliance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: LAIRD, TARRANT, HIBBERD

HB: STEWART, RANCE, YEO

C : I.SMITH, MITCHELL, GAFF

HF: SIDEBOTTOM, HOGAN, HIGGINS

F: DARLING, BROWN, FRANKLIN

FOLL: GAWN, FYFE, OLIVER

IC: MARTIN, COTCHIN, DANGERFIELD, GRUNDY

Dangerfield, no way mate.  Plenty of mids ahead of him.  

Dustin Martin also would be lucky to be in the team at this stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Gawn and Hogan only at this stage for mine. Jetta and Hibberd close, but no cigar. Oliver has had a few outstanding games, but there are plenty of mids ahead of him

Edited by Moonshadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Fgs1KoW.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Jetta runs rings around Laird as a defender, but the media’s obsession with disposal numbers will see Laird get the nod.

Gawn and Hogan are locks barring any drop in form which seems unlikely.

I’m tipping Oliver will make the squad but not the team, with the rationale being he needs to “be more damaging” or “kick it more”. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

T Mac is the wildcard. If he keeps kicking goals for fun he will be hard to ignore but the delayed start to the season might cost him a spot. Here’s hoping he doesn’t get moved back this week.

Edited by P-man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×