Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Collingwood

Chelly

14 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I will say that I’d normally be inclined to a bias towards Weideman. Pedersen has had too many AFL games where he has been completely ineffective as a forward. If we had to choose between two tall forwards with a high chance of delivering nothing, I’d prefer it was the young one with a view to development. 

That said, this week I’d have said Pedersen if it wasn’t for the KO. There is a point where form will outweigh that bias, and by the sounds of it he was smashing it until the head knock. I originally said both because I was waiting for the Casey feedback.

I wouldn’t pick either of them if Tim Smith comes up.

No-one seems to be talking about Joel Smith lately in these threads.  

Can anyone advise thoughts on him as an option?

If there is one injury we couldn't afford, it's to a tall defender considering it's the only position we don't have any in-form cover for at the moment which is a shame. If Reid doesn't come up I'd just select Wagner considering their small forward line. If he does come up, it's anyone's guess, I'm leaning towards Keilty considering Frost has had numerous chances. Not confident.

Against the filth, we may need Joel Smith who seems the most athletic of our back men-in-reserve.  Given they play Cox (spud) maybe Reid (manageable) and leave it to athletic mid size players for the bulk of their scoring, Smith may be the best matchup.

if Reid comes back, we might need more height, so perhaps frost for 1:1 and Harmes in the intercept role.

we will want to play this game in our front half, not theirs.  Territory may be the best indicator of game outcome so our clearance work has to improve from the dogs game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

I could have gone for the full breakdown of the 22. Notice I didn't mention Jones, Vince, Lewis, Tracca, Melksham, ANB. I get in trouble sometimes for writing too much.

The matchups I have above are just the main ones I'm going to enjoy seeing. If you want more, there's other things like what Tracca can do should TMac be needed up the ground. I reckon he's played by far his best footy at the G, spotting up Hogan in a pocket. Seems to enjoy the wide open space on the flanks and wings. When we need him to hit up a target 5-10 yards further than a mere mortal can get it, and he does it. I'm looking forward to seeing who they put on certain players. I suspect ANB will get some sort of job part of the game... maybe Phillips who runs all day. Does Fritch play off a back flank like he did against Dogs and make himself our chip up from kick ins? Then there's the pure midfield battle. Could TMac be asked to run around with Grundy as a midfielder, letting Gawn handle stoppages and go deep forward? I can't wait to see how Jones, Oliver and Viney go with Braysh mopping up as the spitter against their hard running mids who love to spread. Especially after getting smashed in clearances so badly last week. It just goes on and on...

The big one for me is that I don't think we'll get our own way in terms of rebounds and in terms of centre clearances. When they break, and they will, what do we have holding them up. Jetta was amazing. Omac is superb. But who's drifting off their man and intercepting? Will it be multiple players? A Fritsch? Will Salem be needed as he was against Dogs? Will Vince be run ragged?

From top to bottom, both lists have these good footballers who are multifaceted. The Pies have them because they have the notoriety and extra media of being Pies... The demons have them because they're just good. Feels to me exactly like those Hawks/Cats games over the last ten years or so... stars everywhere, all of which could switch it on and win a game by themselves.

Pretty much nailed it and why it's going to be a fascinating game for us

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delusional Dee said:

If there is one injury we couldn't afford, it's to a tall defender considering it's the only position we don't have any in-form cover for at the moment which is a shame. If Reid doesn't come up I'd just select Wagner considering their small forward line. If he does come up, it's anyone's guess, I'm leaning towards Keilty considering Frost has had numerous chances. Not confident.

i think we gotta go frost. we need some speed out of the backline and whilst hibberd and jetta aren't slow, they don't break the lines. So frost for me. And frost can do some pretty good things, lets not forget. He's big and quick and offers rebound. 

• Like 1

Really interesting decision for Goody and selectors.

I doubt it will be Frost, who is clearly out of favour at the moment. Pies smaller forward set up means that we can get by with a three-quarter tall - but Frost is needed for the clash with Port after the bye - Dixon and Westy and Wattsy are a bigger line-up to contend with.

Hunt would also surprise as I reckon he can still be bodied out of contest a bit and his inclusion, while great for run, would mean that we may have to go Harmesy there early. 

So to me, it's out of our two three-quarter talls.

Wags may enjoy the freedom of flying for everything without being told off for being fourth man-up - I imagine he plays on the hyphen.

Joel Smith has hit form and adds some real pace to the back seven - not sure if he's quite as natural with the intercept punch though.  

Big game required from Jordy to marshal newcomer into right spots.

Interesting comments about Phillips needing a tag - I had him down as a cert to go to Angus to try and nullify our most damaging midfielder of past four weeks.

• Like 1

I've gone cold on Frost (pardon the pun).

In -  J.Smith

Out - Lever 

Weid for T Smith if his neck keeps him out.

Joel Smith has the tools to play the halfback intercept role very well,  and we have Fritsch and Harmes who can help out back there if needed.

Backs  -                N.Jetta    -           O.McDonald    -     M.Hibberd

Half backs  -        J.Lewis    -            J.Smith          -       J.Harmes

Centres      -         B.Fritsch   -          C.Oliver        -         A.Brayshaw

Half forwards -   J.Melksham   -    T.McDonald    -     C.Petracca

Forward       -      A. Neal Bullen     -   J.Hogan           -     T.Smith

Rucks    -             M.Gawn           -    N.Jones           -     J.Viney

Bench   -       B.Vince   -      C.Spargo      -   M.Hannan     -   C.Salem

Lets get it on.

• Like 1

The best way of overcoming Levers’ absence is for the midfield to win the clearances and give our forwards good supply. We didn’t do that well against the Dogs and were lucky their forward line was such a shambles. Can’t afford to let it happen against the Filth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

The best way of overcoming Levers’ absence is for the midfield to win the clearances and give our forwards good supply. We didn’t do that well against the Dogs and were lucky their forward line was such a shambles. Can’t afford to let it happen against the Filth.

Have almost finished watching the replay of the Dogs game. They definitely had some good ball movement against us. As you say with one or two potent forwards they would have given us a deal of trouble.

Brayshaw had a good game but many of his disposals ,unlike last week were not to our advantage. Good signs from Petracca.

As you say it really will be a battle of the extended midfields.

Somewhat ironic that their key backs are Howe and Dunne.

• Like 1

They're a vile bunch at Pies land. In one post that I found among 7+ pages on Bigfooty, they are certain of a win. One post highlighted that both teams have lost to the same teams, and both have dealt with lower placed teams as they should. Same post acknowledged we a contested ball winning side and they will have a big challenge. 

The rest is a combination of cheese platter and snow jokes, mixed with the ignorant "they haven't beaten anyone", despite Collingwood having a similar (but not as good) record. Exhausting to read.

• Angry 1

16 hours ago, A F said:

I'd have Smith over Weideman at the moment, but not in the mid term or long term. Unless things really change.

They're different players and so the roles will be as well.

At the moment they are both doing similar job, only because Weide is just a kid learning, and growing.

But ultimately they are different players.

The good thing is, all our talls have overlaps in the skills sets and abilities.

Looks like Melksham will probably be right for QB game:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-06-04/acl-diagnosis-a-shock-for-lever

"The ankle's good. I had a scan before so there's a little bit of bruising, but moving forward, all good," Melksham said..."We've got a nine-day break. Yesterday (Sunday) I was hobbling around a little bit, but today I'm walking a lot more fluently, so I'm hoping by the weekend it's cherry ripe."

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 9:06 AM, rjay said:

No, I would say I rate him pretty accurately.

Not underrated at all.

Others might disagree, so will you correct those people, as well?

5 minutes ago, DV8 said:

At the moment they are both doing similar job, only because Weide is just a kid learning, and growing.

The good thing is, all our talls have overlaps in the skills sets and abilities.

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Looks like Melksham will probably be right for QB game:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-06-04/acl-diagnosis-a-shock-for-lever

"The ankle's good. I had a scan before so there's a little bit of bruising, but moving forward, all good," Melksham said..."We've got a nine-day break. Yesterday (Sunday) I was hobbling around a little bit, but today I'm walking a lot more fluently, so I'm hoping by the weekend it's cherry ripe."

Onyer, Melk! You are needed.

7 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Dead right, DV8

40 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

pressure, pressure, pressure the pies into coughing up their lunch.

10 minutes ago, praha said:

They're a vile bunch at Pies land. In one post that I found among 7+ pages on Bigfooty, they are certain of a win. One post highlighted that both teams have lost to the same teams, and both have dealt with lower placed teams as they should. Same post acknowledged we a contested ball winning side and they will have a big challenge. 

The rest is a combination of cheese platter and snow jokes, mixed with the ignorant "they haven't beaten anyone", despite Collingwood having a similar (but not as good) record. Exhausting to read.

Didn't bother to read their tripe, so thanks for undertaking that horrible task for us all, praha. After the game, what might they write then may I ask? Will Eddie resign on the spot? Is Buckley's time now blatantly overdue for a refreshment? We will win that game based on skills, teamwork and humility. Just watch.

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

I've gone cold on Frost (pardon the pun).

In -  J.Smith

Out - Lever 

Weid for T Smith if his neck keeps him out.

Joel Smith has the tools to play the halfback intercept role very well,  and we have Fritsch and Harmes who can help out back there if needed.

Backs  -                N.Jetta    -           O.McDonald    -     M.Hibberd

Half backs  -        J.Lewis    -            J.Smith          -       J.Harmes

Centres      -         B.Fritsch   -          C.Oliver        -         A.Brayshaw

Half forwards -   J.Melksham   -    T.McDonald    -     C.Petracca

Forward       -      A. Neal Bullen     -   J.Hogan           -     T.Smith

Rucks    -             M.Gawn           -    N.Jones           -     J.Viney

Bench   -       B.Vince   -      C.Spargo      -   M.Hannan     -   C.Salem

Lets get it on.

Strong team there, PetAtk - I am not yet even lukewarm on Frosty but that doesn't seem to matter a great deal here on DL. If Joel is picked and gets a good one in (minimum standard measure would be a dislocated Filth jaw or broken leg), it would be great - and for his dad, who was a terrific competitor although slight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

These two, in such roles, would be terrific.

It should be a crackerjack game btw two of the four form teams of the competition 

I am leaning towards J Smith for Lever too, but I suspect Wagner may get the call up...I wish Hunt was in form and good to go

Perhaps they’ll stick with Harmes as that seventh defender and bring in another mid - could Stretch or Tyson be the one?

Other than that, only other likely change would be Weideman for T Smith if he’s crocked, given that Melksham is thankfully looking all g

Jetta - O Mac

Harmes - Lewis - Hibberd - Vince - Salem

Gawn - Oliver - Brayshaw - Jones - Viney - Fritsch

Petracca - T Mac - ANB

Hogan - Melksham

Bench: Spargo - Tyson - Hannan - T Smith

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Somewhat ironic that their key backs are Howe and Dunne.

I cannot see either of them staying 'with' our mobile forwards for a full game. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Didn't bother to read their tripe, so thanks for undertaking that horrible task for us all, praha. After the game, what might they write then may I ask? Will Eddie resign on the spot? Is Buckley's time now blatantly overdue for a refreshment? We will win that game based on skills, teamwork and humility. Just watch.

Exhibit of having APDNFI

I wouldn't describe Hogan as strong or fast.

1. LOL

17 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Even without reid, I think we should go an extra tall like Frost, otherwise Grundy will push forward and expose our lack of height, then we'll probably lose Gawny's effectiveness up forward as he'll probably be helping OMAC more often down back as Cox's reach is supreme. If we've at least got Frost helping Omac, we can do a bit of blocking ;)

I seem to recall that Cox ain't getting off the ground, just reaches upwards from his tip-toed approach. Correct me if I am wrong but a mobile tall might be the answer.