Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview



Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

Clarry "one of the best to emerge in last 20 years"

Recommended Posts

Why has it taken so long for the so called experts to realise this simple fact? It was apparent from the start.

Clayton plays his own game unlike anyone before. His vision, awareness and football smarts are outstanding but, in addition, his ability to win the ball in close and distribute quickly to advantage set him apart.

His tackling, running, contested marking and strong kicking would almost be enough even without his extraordinary talents.

I have noticed that his "don't blink or you will miss it" hand passes are catching on amongst his teammates who have improved greatly in their disposal. It also helps that when we are winning players are willing to run to good positions to receive.

  • Like 13
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone called me crazy that Oliver will be a better player than Petracca when we drafted him..

Everyone called me nuts for saying he will be a Brownlow medallist before he even played a game...

Everyone told me to seek help for the abundance of love and man crush I had on him when I saw him out on the training track for the very first time...

We're all now having the last laugh.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His ability to pick up the ball and hand pass so quickly is extraordinary, but I love see him, surrounded by people, jumping up and taking the ball and dishing off the handball before he has landed, amazing skills.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's almost like journo's come to demonland and get the gossip/facts from here...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tiers said:

Why has it taken so long for the so called experts to realise this simple fact? It was apparent from the start.

Clayton plays his own game unlike anyone before. His vision, awareness and football smarts are outstanding but, in addition, his ability to win the ball in close and distribute quickly to advantage set him apart.

His tackling, running, contested marking and strong kicking would almost be enough even without his extraordinary talents.

I have noticed that his "don't blink or you will miss it" hand passes are catching on amongst his teammates who have improved greatly in their disposal. It also helps that when we are winning players are willing to run to good positions to receive.

@tiersfor the first time - i noticed that yesterday also. It really helps open up the congestion AND helps us spread. It wasn't so long ago that we were bemoaning the lack of outside speed (which still in essence is true) but to counteract that - the ball movement is king to helping us with that weakness...Which by my rekonning, meant we have had to work harder initially to improve those areas (stoppages and ball movement)...and they can only hold us in good stead come finals times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tiers said:

 

I have noticed that his "don't blink or you will miss it" hand passes 

So have the umpires. There was one trademark Clarry handball with the ball above his head where the umpire said 'that's a handball'or words to that effect - i assume to make clear to players around the pack that it wasn't throw and there would be no free kick or stop in play. 

Last year he was getting (wrongly) pinged for throwing in such circumstances.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly can't think of another player (in the last 60 years) who can be legitimately  compared to Clarry.  His skill-set is unique!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't surprise me to see the AFL change the rules to combat his handball technique. It's the most unconventional technique since the old flick pass

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they made a MENSA society for footy geniuses, Oliver would be first invited.

His football IQ is off the charts.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Danelska said:

@tiersfor the first time - i noticed that yesterday also. It really helps open up the congestion AND helps us spread. It wasn't so long ago that we were bemoaning the lack of outside speed (which still in essence is true) but to counteract that - the ball movement is king to helping us with that weakness...Which by my rekonning, meant we have had to work harder initially to improve those areas (stoppages and ball movement)...and they can only hold us in good stead come finals times. 

You don't need leg speed if you move the ball quickly

Fortunately we are starting to move it quicker across the entire field

Just look at Hogan and the other forwards

Beats leg speed every day

Fantastic

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

It's scary how much media love we're getting today.. 

Steve it has just dawned on them. The Dees are back! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah,

Part of our premiership midfield.

Oliver, Jones, Brayshaw, Viney.  Petracca running through there.

Who are you going to tag?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From one who saw the Teddy Whitten inspired "flick pass" phenomenon come and go, Clarrie's handballs are nothing like a flick pass.

He obviously has the most flexible, rotatable wrists that ensure that the ball is struck by a closed fist each time, not by an open back hand that was the feature of flick passes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see the AFL change the rules to combat his handball technique. It's the most unconventional technique since the old flick pass

Please don't give them ideas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clarry's pace to (and from) a contest is astonishing. He hits the contest at speed without much of a run-up and uses the ball almost before he gets it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, binman said:

So have the umpires. There was one trademark Clarry handball with the ball above his head where the umpire said 'that's a handball'or words to that effect - i assume to make clear to players around the pack that it wasn't throw and there would be no free kick or stop in play. 

Last year he was getting (wrongly) pinged for throwing in such circumstances.

Yeh i saw and heard that too. If he's got the umps onside, lookout!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong but I don't have access to a replay, but I could've sworn I saw him fumble yesterday. Without the replay I can't tell if he actually fired out one of those handballs, so I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

What a refreshing change he is, from all the cheats that drop the ball at the first hint of contact. That's the last thing on Clarry's mind, he's thinking handball to advantage of teammate.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FireInTheBelly said:

I could be wrong but I don't have access to a replay, but I could've sworn I saw him fumble yesterday. Without the replay I can't tell if he actually fired out one of those handballs, so I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

What a refreshing change he is, from all the cheats that drop the ball at the first hint of contact. That's the last thing on Clarry's mind, he's thinking handball to advantage of teammate.

He does have a broken finger... we can cut him slack... once.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jackaub said:

You don't need leg speed if you move the ball quickly

Fortunately we are starting to move it quicker across the entire field

Just look at Hogan and the other forwards

Beats leg speed every day

Fantastic

It is a myth we don't have leg speed, salam is quick, viney is quick, Clayton is quick, Bradshaw is also quick, can't believe how many think we are slow, it is not true, hibbo is also quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought i saw him ruefully pick his finger up off the ground at one stage.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

It is a myth we don't have leg speed, salam is quick, viney is quick, Clayton is quick, Bradshaw is also quick, can't believe how many think we are slow, it is not true, hibbo is also quick. 

Brayshaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×