Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Hawthorn



Sign in to follow this  
Demonland

Distance Runners and Speedsters

Recommended Posts

It's no surprise that Alex Neal Bullen is at the head of the list for distance but I was floored to see Jesse listed as our 3rd fastest considering he is also one of our largest distance runners.

Melbourne

Team distance: 2613.1 km 

Distance kings
1. Alex Neal-Bullen 15.3km
2. Oscar McDonald 13.9
3. Josh Wagner 13.9    

No surprises that Alex Neal-Bullen is ranked so highly in this area, with the hard-working half-forward one of the best endurance athletes at the club. In round four against Hawthorn, Neal-Bullen clocked 17.2km – the 11th-highest recorded distance ever. 

Speedsters
1. Jayden Hunt 34.2km/h
2. Jeff Garlett 34.2
3. Jesse Hogan 34.1

Hunt is one of the fastest players on Melbourne's list and in the entire AFL. It's impressive to see Hogan in third place and perhaps gives a pointer to his athleticism and why the Demons have been so keen to play him further up the ground this season. - Ben Guthrie

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-23/running-men-keeping-track-of-your-clubs-speedsters

Could Oscar really be getting such high numbers at full back? 🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really goes to show we are definitely a forward half team. Oscar would be running from deep full back right up to almost half forward most games. He also does play on the best lead up forwards who would be leading further up the ground often as well.

Would love to know how Jesse compares to other forward his size over a 50m sprint. Shows his work ethic in preseason really paid off being in our top three runners. He also wouldn't be too far off in our top 'distant kings' as I've noticed him leading all players for distanced covered quite a few games this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Also going by the stats on that page looks like we're second behind Collingood for total team distance.

Team distance: 2613.1 km 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mongrel said:

Really goes to show we are definitely a forward half team. Oscar would be running from deep full back right up to almost half forward most games. He also does play on the best lead up forwards who would be leading further up the ground often as well.

Would love to know how Jesse compares to other forward his size over a 50m sprint. Shows his work ethic in preseason really paid off being in our top three runners. He also wouldn't be too far off in our top 'distant kings' as I've noticed him leading all players for distanced covered quite a few games this season.

That's why I was pleasantly surprise to see him in our top 3 speedsters. Add to that his size. He is 195cm and nearly 100kg.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting stats, but you still need to get the pill. 

3 of those  named cant get a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I suspected,  speed is severely overrated in the AFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Interesting stats, but you still need to get the pill. 

3 of those  named cant get a game. 

Jesse Hogan is the point here. He's taken his game to another level this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

As I suspected,  speed is severely overrated in the AFL.

burst speed (the first ten metres) was extremely important but with the press and congestion I suspect it is now more about maneuverability and agility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Jesse Hogan is the point here. He's taken his game to another level this year.

Thanks. True. Having a great season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not buying that Hogan has moved quicker than all but 2 players we've played this year. I think that's a GPS error. Surely at some stage in a game someone like Kent, Harmes or Hannan ran quicker than Jesse's quickest.

Oscar plays the full game time and often follows an opponent up to a contest then runs back to true CHB position. When we get the ball forward he often rests as the deepest defender. So it's logical that he does some of the most km's but it's far less intensity than the midfielders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Not buying that Hogan has moved quicker than all but 2 players we've played this year. I think that's a GPS error. Surely at some stage in a game someone like Kent, Harmes or Hannan ran quicker than Jesse's quickest.

I was surprised by the GPS data but I don't think it's an error.

12 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Oscar plays the full game time and often follows an opponent up to a contest then runs back to true CHB position. When we get the ball forward he often rests as the deepest defender. So it's logical that he does some of the most km's but it's far less intensity than the midfielders.

That makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Oscar plays the full game time and often follows an opponent up to a contest then runs back to true CHB position. When we get the ball forward he often rests as the deepest defender. So it's logical that he does some of the most km's but it's far less intensity than the midfielders.

Would love to see the difference in OMac's numbers in the early game, where our defenders weren't playing well together, as compared to the last 5 weeks or so. In fact it's be a great exercise to see what Lever and Hibberd's numbers are as well - I suppose this is what the coaches will be looking at, and perhaps we're all a little too quick to judge without seeing the info they'd have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demonland said:

I was surprised by the GPS data but I don't think it's an error.

 

I can see how GPS could give a reasonable total distance covered, but I can't see how it can give a reliable figure for speed which I assume requires running in a straight line to be accurate. Players don't run in a straight line for long and often enough I would have thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sue said:

I can see how GPS could give a reasonable total distance covered, but I can't see how it can give a reliable figure for speed which I assume requires running in a straight line to be accurate. Players don't run in a straight line for long and often enough I would have thought.

I'm no rocket scientist but I imagine the technology does not require a straight line to record speed. Perhaps one of Demonland's resident rocket scientists can weigh in on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I'm no rocket scientist but I imagine the technology does not require a straight line to record speed. Perhaps one of Demonland's resident rocket scientists can weigh in on this.

Straight line not required: at those distances the geodesic looks flat. Most small GPS units these days are accurate to sub-meter accuracy. 

Having said that, for ovals with high shadows (grandstands) facing the equatorial horizon, they’re prone to dropping in and out of the 4 to 5 satellite signals you need.

Lateral movement coupled with a high sampling rate would be averaged out over the course of a game.

Warning Nerd Alert: Ultimately, a higher sampling rate over an entire game will govern the overall accuracy. If you have a sample recorded every second, then in 1 hour you have 3600 samples. Statistically that means: {1 - (sqrt (n))/ (n)} = 98.3% confidence in the independently generated data.

Trust the technology lads. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I'm no rocket scientist but I imagine the technology does not require a straight line to record speed. Perhaps one of Demonland's resident rocket scientists can weigh in on this.

All it has is the time it is at spot A, the time it is at B and the distance between them.  I doubt if GPS positioning (non military) is accurate enough to know where someone is at every instant if they are running in a zig zag, though it will give a reasonably good number if they run for long enough in a straight line.  It will underestimate the distance travelled most likely when zig zagging. 

My GPS location it is currently at least 5 metres from where I really am - where is the sub-metre accuracy Deeznuts mentioned?  Is Deeznuts saying the GPS on a players back is more accurate than my phone perhaps?  I agree with his remarks about averages, but there is no point in higher sampling rates if the position is not known extremely accurately at every time.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when all is said and done and Jesse career is over he will be considered one of our greats. He has been exceptional this year and he'll only get better. The fact that he has the endurance and the pace for such a big guy is astounding. Couple that with his marking ability and the fact that he has kicked a goal in every game this year makes him the complete package. I will fend off Fremantle with a homemade shiv carved out of a toothbrush if I have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeezNuts said:

Straight line not required: at those distances the geodesic looks flat. Most small GPS units these days are accurate to sub-meter accuracy. 

Having said that, for ovals with high shadows (grandstands) facing the equatorial horizon, they’re prone to dropping in and out of the 4 to 5 satellite signals you need.

Lateral movement coupled with a high sampling rate would be averaged out over the course of a game.

Warning Nerd Alert: Ultimately, a higher sampling rate over an entire game will govern the overall accuracy. If you have a sample recorded every second, then in 1 hour you have 3600 samples. Statistically that means: {1 - (sqrt (n))/ (n)} = 98.3% confidence in the independently generated data.

Trust the technology lads. 

 

Beat me to it. Word for for word what i was going to say. :pj:

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

burst speed (the first ten metres) was extremely important but with the press and congestion I suspect it is now more about maneuverability and agility.

Which makes sense when you consider Hunt is struggling as more and more teams press up hard. He has the speed, but turns like a ship when he is at pace. Once he learns to add twists and turns to his game he will be amazing to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Riewoldt is what Roos said, that is high praise.

About, Speed and Jesse, there is a NFL player who hits 34.5kmh/h and is a 109kg so Jesse's speed seems pretty feasible, and not a mistake with the GPS, (it is all about how it is built), they can be made accurate to under 30cm from what i understand in a civilian context. They use chips as well (an accelerometer and magnetometer), and not just a GPS, which are way more accurate for judging the speed and direction. So it wouldn't/doesn't matter if he was doing circles, although I do prefer a straight up lead...

Between him and Tom, I want teams crushed. (Loved the way Robbo asked Lewis if we had been told to kill teams.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Demonland said:

It's no surprise that Alex Neal Bullen is at the head of the list for distance but I was floored to see Jesse listed as our 3rd fastest considering he is also one of our largest distance runners.

Melbourne

Team distance: 2613.1 km 

Distance kings
1. Alex Neal-Bullen 15.3km
2. Oscar McDonald 13.9
3. Josh Wagner 13.9    

No surprises that Alex Neal-Bullen is ranked so highly in this area, with the hard-working half-forward one of the best endurance athletes at the club. In round four against Hawthorn, Neal-Bullen clocked 17.2km – the 11th-highest recorded distance ever. 

Speedsters
1. Jayden Hunt 34.2km/h
2. Jeff Garlett 34.2
3. Jesse Hogan 34.1

Hunt is one of the fastest players on Melbourne's list and in the entire AFL. It's impressive to see Hogan in third place and perhaps gives a pointer to his athleticism and why the Demons have been so keen to play him further up the ground this season. - Ben Guthrie

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-23/running-men-keeping-track-of-your-clubs-speedsters

Could Oscar really be getting such high numbers at full back? 🤔

With Jack returning to the mid field I am hoping Hulk can now spend a bit more time closer to goal and start using that speed as a leading hit up forward more often.

Starting to see this more already but we should now up the ante a little.  This will put even more fear & chaos into the opp's defence along with a few more scoring opportunities for Jesse (and the team).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Not buying that Hogan has moved quicker than all but 2 players we've played this year. I think that's a GPS error. Surely at some stage in a game someone like Kent, Harmes or Hannan ran quicker than Jesse's quickest.

Oscar plays the full game time and often follows an opponent up to a contest then runs back to true CHB position. When we get the ball forward he often rests as the deepest defender. So it's logical that he does some of the most km's but it's far less intensity than the midfielders.

Measured as he was flying through the air attempting a specky DS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×