Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson Interview



Sign in to follow this  
Redleg

Big Clubs Rule the AFL

Recommended Posts

Used to watch Hawthorn train in the 80's under Jeans...

One of the drills they did was to block for a teammate taking the mark by raising hands and keeping the opponent out of the contest.

They've been at it for decades.

Even Lewis said on 360 tonight they trained to block when he was at Hawthorn...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not bad for a team which has played the most unsociable footv for the last decade to whinge when they lose. Just heightens my contempt 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rjay said:

Used to watch Hawthorn train in the 80's under Jeans...

One of the drills they did was to block for a teammate taking the mark by raising hands and keeping the opponent out of the contest.

They've been at it for decades.

Even Lewis said on 360 tonight they trained to block when he was at Hawthorn...

Clarko has zero credibility after he had a go at Selwood for dropping his shoulder but when challenged about Poppy, Cyril, Breust et al doing exactly the same thing he waffled on about it being an evasive tactic? As soon as Poppy feels arm contact his arm goes straight up and he drops at the knees no different to Selwood. Clarko is a Hippocryte and Gil should not be meeting with him for a coffee to discuss these things, let alone acting on this whingers concerns. Can we act on Hawthorn’s blockers on the man on the mark then? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

Not bad for a team which has played the most unsociable footv for the last decade to whinge when they lose. Just heightens my contempt 

 

Me and my friends call them 'Hypocrite Highway' (variation on Punt Road for Richmond, Arden Street for North). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Where did you see this? Can't see anything on AFL or Age websites

An email was sent to the clubs today, stating that the blocking rules would be enforced from this weekend.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Clarko::

Careful what you wish for ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pineapple dee said:

Clarkson has correctly identified a significant anti Hawthorn bias in the umpiring of the game. He is just trying to level the playing field and get some fairness for the Hawks. God bless his little heart. Clarkson hates umpiring bias !!!

He would have been happy with the game last year, where their first 5 goals came from blocks and incorrect frees and then we lost by under a goal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the bet there will be total over reaction and frees paid up forward right left and centre and much nashing of teeth from supporters. And a reversal the following week. This weekend will be a good one for a key forward in the goal square. Actually I might put a few hundred on Roughy to kick 5 this week. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if only we trained to block.
Been a bugbear of mine for years.
Dish off the handball, then block the chaser.
Not that forking hard.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again this is not the problem. The problem is big supporter Clubs in Victoria are down the gurgler at the moment.

This week TWSNBN just dropped off the map for the rest of the year, and with them went millions of Dollars in revenue, which would have gone to guess WHO?

It was more than just fate that Carlton got a great handshake at the tribunal. They are decidedly shaky at the moment and another loss for them would effectively wipe off, or begin to wipe their earning ability, especially Friday night exposure.Another big Victorian follower earner would be handy for the AFL

They don't want MFC in the finals because we do not have a big enough earning capacity yet. And that includes being in the top eight, let alone the top four, with all those other Interstate teams. Eagles Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Sydney and probably GWS.

Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn plus a competitive, successful TWSNBN and Carlton would have made a very nice Victorian batch for the AFL. Instead they could be stuck with us and a rejuvenated Dogs. It might not recoup all the lost millions but...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, daisycutter said:

since when is it gil's job to instruct the umpires in-season on game-day emphasis and  to make rulings on interpretations of the game's rules

and all without proper process

what makes gil any more an expert on the rules than any other mug punter. he's a ceo ffs not umpires advisor

afl's lack of integrity just continues to roll on

Clarko still manipulating the game; now he's recruited the boss, to do his blocking for him.

 where di all the coaches meetings go for this stuff?  or is that a wee bit like the united nations. they can never agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Clarko has zero credibility after he had a go at Selwood for dropping his shoulder but when challenged about Poppy, Cyril, Breust et al doing exactly the same thing he waffled on about it being an evasive tactic? As soon as Poppy feels arm contact his arm goes straight up and he drops at the knees no different to Selwood. Clarko is a Hippocryte and Gil should not be meeting with him for a coffee to discuss these things, let alone acting on this whingers concerns. Can we act on Hawthorn’s blockers on the man on the mark then? 

Birds of a feather in this context. 

2 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

if only we trained to block.
Been a bugbear of mine for years.
Dish off the handball, then block the chaser.
Not that forking hard.

Not sure that this is the type of blocking they are referring to. 

And it certainly will NOT be the blocking of the man on the mark.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Redleg said:

An email was sent to the clubs today, stating that the blocking rules would be enforced from this weekend.

AFL 360 showed the video, of an infringement, that was sent with the email.  Guess which team infringed? 

Yep, our Demons was the one and the only 'offender' highlighted in the 'official' video, a video which will be in widespread use by media.  

Thanks to that  exposure there is every chance we will be under the microscope of opp supporters and umpires.  Will be interesting how many 'blocking' frees are paid against us this weekend.

The video shows Oliver 'blocking'  Carlisle for Hogan to mark.  Ironically, Jack Riewoldt thought it wasn't a block as Oliver also had eyes for the ball.  Anyone confused?

Would have preferred they used several examples of different situations from various teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

blocking is guaranteed to be rule of the week this coming weekend

interesting that they highlighted oliver blocking

Which was legal, by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Clarko has zero credibility after he had a go at Selwood for dropping his shoulder but when challenged about Poppy, Cyril, Breust et al doing exactly the same thing he waffled on about it being an evasive tactic? As soon as Poppy feels arm contact his arm goes straight up and he drops at the knees no different to Selwood. Clarko is a Hippocryte and Gil should not be meeting with him for a coffee to discuss these things, let alone acting on this whingers concerns. Can we act on Hawthorn’s blockers on the man on the mark then? 

At Gil's level, there is no two-way street. There should be, of course, but his history clearly shows he 'aint being checked so legitimacy and fair play do not rule the roost because power corrupts, absolutely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-bows-to-alastair-clarkson-pressure-sends-extraordinary-memo-to-clubs/news-story/cc76fd83c4da1db9b273ae77fa8907e9

You have to feel for the umpires.  The email that went to clubs covers: 

"Umpires are looking for the following cues regarding blocking:

— A player who is coming off his line to prevent an opposition player from genuinely attempting to contest the mark.

— A player who is using their arms in a shepherding motion.

— A player who is not contesting the ball (eyes for the ball vs. eyes on the opposition). Umpires are being coached to look forward of play and to ensure that players making the ball their prime objective should be permitted to contest.

– Umpires are looking for players that are held in the contest, in particular with armsaround the opposition".

How on earth is an umpire supposed to determine that if there is a bit of a pack?  Ah, the mighty AFL have the answer:

- If a kick comes from the wing into the forward 50, the umpire in the forward 50 has been instructed to keep his or her eyes firmly planted on the marking contest, rather than the ball that’s flying in.

AFL, seriously?  Talk about micro control.  Btw where is the umpire supposed to look if the kick comes elsewhere the wing?

My fear this might kill off the extra man up in a marking contest.  How often are 2,3,4 players jostling for position and the extra comes in and marks.  Will they now be paid a free against.  Thinking Jake Lever here...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Would have preferred they used several examples of different situations from various teams.

On The Couch Monday showed some examples of blocking where no free kicks were awarded.

Some might have seen this but the blocking segment starts about 10m 50s into the video. They show a few, talk for a minute or so and then show some more. Needless to say the Garlett one was a shocker.

 

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

On The Couch Monday showed some examples of blocking where no free kicks were awarded.

Some might have seen this but the blocking segment starts about 10m 50s into the video. They show a few, talk for a minute or so and then show some more. Needless to say the Garlett one was a shocker.

I saw that, thanks.

My issue is that the only official example the AFL gave clubs was highlighting a Melbourne incident (which actual was legal) when really they should have used various incidents from various clubs.  I just felt that it was poor of the AFL to highlight us as culprits when everyone is doing it. 

The AFL using Hawthorn as a culprit would be good but that would show up Clarkson as a hypocrite...?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like so many others, I am so heartily sick of the AFL constantly tampering with the game.

It's as if the media managers of the AFL insist on having a news grab every week or two to maintain the public profile of its leader and his organisation. 

With rule changes and changes to rules interpretation every second week, we are simply seeing more uncertainly for umpires, coaches, players and spectators.

The biggest frustration of the game involves the different and changing interpretation of the rules by the umpires leading to unfair free kicks that directly influence the outcome of matches.  

Just leave the bloody game alone for a season. By all means review the rules at the end or beginning of each season, but not during the course of the season or from one game to the next. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, willmoy said:

Again this is not the problem. The problem is big supporter Clubs in Victoria are down the gurgler at the moment.

This week TWSNBN just dropped off the map for the rest of the year, and with them went millions of Dollars in revenue, which would have gone to guess WHO?

It was more than just fate that Carlton got a great handshake at the tribunal. They are decidedly shaky at the moment and another loss for them would effectively wipe off, or begin to wipe their earning ability, especially Friday night exposure.Another big Victorian follower earner would be handy for the AFL

They don't want MFC in the finals because we do not have a big enough earning capacity yet. And that includes being in the top eight, let alone the top four, with all those other Interstate teams. Eagles Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Sydney and probably GWS.

Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn plus a competitive, successful TWSNBN and Carlton would have made a very nice Victorian batch for the AFL. Instead they could be stuck with us and a rejuvenated Dogs. It might not recoup all the lost millions but...........

What is twsnbn?

 

if mfc makes the finals I would have thought lottttts of people will be there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-bows-to-alastair-clarkson-pressure-sends-extraordinary-memo-to-clubs/news-story/cc76fd83c4da1db9b273ae77fa8907e9

You have to feel for the umpires.  The email that went to clubs covers: 

"Umpires are looking for the following cues regarding blocking:

— A player who is coming off his line to prevent an opposition player from genuinely attempting to contest the mark.

— A player who is using their arms in a shepherding motion.

— A player who is not contesting the ball (eyes for the ball vs. eyes on the opposition). Umpires are being coached to look forward of play and to ensure that players making the ball their prime objective should be permitted to contest.

– Umpires are looking for players that are held in the contest, in particular with armsaround the opposition".

How on earth is an umpire supposed to determine that if there is a bit of a pack?  Ah, the mighty AFL have the answer:

- If a kick comes from the wing into the forward 50, the umpire in the forward 50 has been instructed to keep his or her eyes firmly planted on the marking contest, rather than the ball that’s flying in.

AFL, seriously?  Talk about micro control.  Btw where is the umpire supposed to look if the kick comes elsewhere the wing?

My fear this might kill off the extra man up in a marking contest.  How often are 2,3,4 players jostling for position and the extra comes in and marks.  Will they now be paid a free against.  Thinking Jake Lever here...

Our gamestyle might pay off this week - just smashing the ball into F50 lobbing it up to packs - chances are we'll get more frees up forward than usual.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Our gamestyle might pay off this week - just smashing the ball into F50 lobbing it up to packs - chances are we'll get more frees up forward than usual.

Was thinking the same, with up to 3 talls in our forward line could work in our favour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timbo said:

What is twsnbn?

 

if mfc makes the finals I would have thought lottttts of people will be there 

Question 1 EFC, Question 2 hope so....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rjay said:

Used to watch Hawthorn train in the 80's under Jeans...

One of the drills they did was to block for a teammate taking the mark by raising hands and keeping the opponent out of the contest.

They've been at it for decades.

Even Lewis said on 360 tonight they trained to block when he was at Hawthorn...

I knew you where a Hawthorn supporter all along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else come to the conclusion ,like i have, that it would appear that MFC supporters site kicks aars (ie, tells the truth) more accurately than any other and therefore runs the gauntlet (wrath) of the Imperial Senate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×