Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Round 09 vs Carlton



Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Its about keeping the wins in perspective.

Sure, but you're acting as if "perspective" has some fixed meaning, and you and only you get to define what that meaning is.

Enjoying the kind of performance/win that we saw yesterday is just as valid a perspective as - well, whatever it is you're proposing. Criticising those who say we should "keep things in perspective" is keeping things in perspective - just not yours.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

 

I must also say their website is utter garbage compared to the luxurious Demonland website we are so fortunate to have. 

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/

Yuk that website is pus! Quite fitting for their team  So glad Demonland doesn't look like that it would drive me away

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Now we need to think of the last quarter as merely a springboard for an even bigger win v Blues.

But we have in the past had a penchant for not repeating what we need to repeat .....  again Dees, showers only this week. 

Inebriare potest non bibetis balneum aqua

Edited by monoccular
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yuk that website is pus! Quite fitting for their team  So glad Demonland doesn't look like that it would drive me away

It’s designed to be dismantled at a moments notice when the tip-off call comes. 

The servers go straight into a shredder. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yuk that website is pus! Quite fitting for their team  So glad Demonland doesn't look like that it would drive me away

Need a shower after reading that site.  So gross.

But also awesome to see them in total meltdown lol

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

 

Its about keeping the wins in perspective. We've done nothing yet.

 

That is completely untrue. Beating sides we should beat is huge and far from indicating 'we've done nothing yet' shows a team progressing.

We have now won 3 on the trot (and i have no doubt will make that four next weekend). One of those win was the highest score of the season so far. And i for one rate the Roos pretty highly and we gave them a touch up. 

Yes we should have won those game but as all on Demonland know these are exactly the sort of the games that in the last decade we have been notorious for losing. Which is why footy commemorators make comments like they can't 'trust us' because we yo yo. It is why we missed the finals last year.

The best teams win the games they should. Thus far this season we are winning the games we should. So we are getting better and that is keeping those wins in perspective. So it is plain silly to say 'we have done nothing yet'

Are we a top 4 chance? i actually think we are. But we are a ways off the the tigers. But so is every other team. And the hawks?  I really believe we are better than them, despite the loss. 

Our issue against the very best teams (and i rate the tigers, Crows and Swans as the best - in that order) is that they will match us for contested ball and are way more skilled across the board. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rapt with the way we finished off and with the way the team is developing but keep a lid on it.

With the exception of the Roos all our wins have been in the shallow end.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Weid will be fine, whether he’s dropped or not. I doubt he will be. I’ve said before we’ve seen him do a bit of everything, it’s a matter of time before he does it all in one game. I realise I hadn’t seen endurance when I said that, so it’s pleasing that he was up there with Hogan well into the match. He’ll be right. 

 

As for not not beating anyone yet, Richmond still haven’t beaten anyone from last years top 8 either. And we made lighter work of North than they did and Richmond haven’t had an injury for 3 years.

It’s an even comp, we’ve strung 10 good quarters in a row together and easily disposed of the so called lesser teams, not everyone is doing that. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

DV8, compared to the bloke who went to Port, this is kinder stuff

Yes it is , but one player was 26 or 27 yrs of age and had over 100 games to his name;,,, and the other is about 20Yrs, maybe 21 ?,, and just trying to start.

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, binman said:

Consider it done.

So i watched the weeds involvements in AFl pro. Some observations:

  • it didn't take as long as watching Oliver's involvements
  • he has got pretty blody big and once he fill out will be a seriously big unit - long arms
  • for a big fella he is really good beneath his knees
  • by no means did he dominate when he rucked but he he actually looks a pretty natural ruck man, won a couple of tap outs that resulted in clearances and halved a handful, with one resulting in Jessie's banana goal 
  • his handball to Spargo was really smart, assessed his options and made the right call
  • he competes hard in the air and on the ground and laid a couple of solid tackles
  • looks very focused on 'playing his role' and following team first rules - but i would love him to be a bit more aggressive and go for a shot on goals occasionally instead of always looking for the pass
  • as has been noted covers a lot of ground, which isn't really picked up in the video of his involvements other than where on the ground those involvements occur (he must have really worked hard on his fitness over summer as he was never a stand out athlete in the way Hogan always was)
  • on our first or second entry he was close to clunking a huge pack mark - didn't but smashed the pack and the ball hit the ground. Attacking the ball in the air was his strength coming into AFL and that seemed to drop off a bit last year. Looks to be back again and he will soon be regularly clunking big marks i reckon
  • did a fair bit of ruck work n the last quarter, giving Maxy a big chop out

I get 6 possessions is not huge (though he had many more involvements) but i agree with the view that he is playing an important role from a structural perspective. Goodwin has copped a bit of heat on Dl but playing four super mobile talls rotating though the forward line, wind up the ground and on ball is unique and represents a real strategic point of difference to other clubs.

I have no doubt Goody has penciled Weed in for this role for some time hence him rucking at Casy from the get go this year. Can't see him being dropped now. And not because he wants to get game time into Weed (although this is obviously a bonus). But because Weed is important to this strategy and his selection will help us win more games.

Like with Omac last year it is ridiculous to think Goody would pick players he didn't think could help us win just to get games into them when we are a team pushing for finals. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weid is not going to be dropped for Viney. Nor will he be dropped for Pedersen. We’ve clicked the last few weeks and our forward line is functioning better each week. Weid is contributing to that, even if he only got 6 touches.

14 hours ago, jnrmac said:

As good as the dominance yesterday was and at the risk of spoiling everyone's party we haven't beaten anyone yet. Maybe North but Brisbane, Gold Coast, Essendon and St Kilda currently 14th, 15th, 16th and 18th on the ladder. 

We play the 17th team, Carlton, this week.

So while it is pleasing to have the opportunity to get some percentage, some wins and gain confidence playing footy our way, some of the over the top commentary on here is totally and utterly ridiculous.

Get a grip.

You’ve been hit for this post a few times already, and in some respects I agree with those who’ve called you out.

We missed the finals last year in part due to percentage, but in larger part because we dropped games to non-finalists when we should have won (including Fremantle and North x 2). The past three weeks we have been the better side on paper with an expectation of winning, and we’ve strung three solid and largely untroubled performances together.

As for the “exception” people are citing, North has beaten Sydney on the road and Hawthorn, and pushed Richmond better than most. Our win over them should be viewed as a strong performance and not merely an “exception”. 

Yes, some on here have taken our wins over bottom 6 sides as evidence of us being a top 4 contender, when the reality is we have harder games to come in the back half of the fixture. But these three wins are incredibly important for a side like us, and given both 2016 and 2017 and our repeated losses to bad sides.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, binman said:

So i watched the weeds involvements in AFl pro. Some observations:

  • it didn't take as long as watching Oliver's involvements
  • he has got pretty blody big and once he fill out will be a seriously big unit - long arms
  • for a big fella he is really good beneath his knees
  • by no means did he dominate when he rucked but he he actually looks a pretty natural ruck man, won a couple of tap outs that resulted in clearances and halved a handful, with one resulting in Jessie's banana goal 
  • his handball to Spargo was really smart, assessed his options and made the right call
  • he competes hard in the air and on the ground and laid a couple of solid tackles
  • looks very focused on 'playing his role' and following team first rules - but i would love him to be a bit more aggressive and go for a shot on goals occasionally instead of always looking for the pass
  • as has been noted covers a lot of ground, which isn't really picked up in the video of his involvements other than where on the ground those involvements occur (he must have really worked hard on his fitness over summer as he was never a stand out athlete in the way Hogan always was)
  • on our first or second entry he was close to clunking a huge pack mark - didn't but smashed the pack and the ball hit the ground. Attacking the ball in the air was his strength coming into AFL and that seemed to drop off a bit last year. Looks to be back again and he will soon be regularly clunking big marks i reckon
  • did a fair bit of ruck work n the last quarter, giving Maxy a big chop out

I get 6 possessions is not huge (though he had many more involvements) but i agree with the view that he is playing an important role from a structural perspective. Goodwin has copped a bit of heat on Dl but playing four super mobile talls rotating though the forward line, wind up the ground and on ball is unique and represents a real strategic point of difference to other clubs.

I have no doubt Goody has penciled Weed in for this role for some time hence him rucking at Casy from the get go this year. Can't see him being dropped now. And not because he wants to get game time into Weed (although this is obviously a bonus). But because Weed is important to this strategy and his selection will help us win more games.

Like with Omac last year it is ridiculous to think Goody would pick players he didn't think could help us win just to get games into them when we are a team pushing for finals. 

You've racked up nearly twice the dot-points than Weid's disposals Binman. But I like the structure you're bringing to the argument as a developing key poster analyst, allowing our other experts to flourish by halving the disputes - and even though you haven't nailed all the points just yet, I think you have all the tools (Telstra subscription) to really be a top-line defender of Weid like we've seen with Oscar.  :)

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DV8 said:

Yes it is , but one player was 26 or 27 yrs of age and had over 100 games to his name;,,, and the other is about 20Yrs, maybe 21 ?,, and just trying to start.

So.....games played equates to more abuse?

Sure.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Skuit said:

You've racked up nearly twice the dot-points than Weid's disposals Binman. But I like the structure you're bringing to the argument as a developing key poster analyst, allowing our other experts to flourish by halving the disputes - and even though you haven't nailed all the points just yet, I think you have all the tools (Telstra subscription) to really be a top-line defender of Weid like we've seen with Oscar.  :)

I matched dot points with the number of  involvements weed had.. Disposals are so 2017.

If only i had stats pro to assist me defend oscar as opposed to just my own observations and football knowledge.

I fear though the weed will be too easy to defend. I might have to take a more challenging case. I was thinking Dom.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the replay of the first qtr, which I’d missed on the day.

the two suns players trying to take the ball from each other and then getting pinged for holding the ball was the funniest thing I’ve seen in years. Even Melbourne in 2013 weren’t that bad.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, D4Life said:

After the Richmond loss, if you were given six goal wins against the Bombers and Saints, and a 11 goal win vs the Suns would you be happy with those results?

I think the answer is Yes!

Enjoy the wins, we’ve had more than our fair share of losses in the last ten years.

Lets get another strong win against the Blues next week and then see how we go against some better teams.

 

Really interesting question, isn't it D4?

We are all thinking of that.

I get some consolation and happiness from the fact that our game against Whoreform was so close, so unlucky in its result, so manacing for Whoreform and so 'unexpected' in its competitiveness that in this re-build, we might ignore that scoreline to realise that we had a considerable morale-boosting victory in its own right; afterall, it was the brilliantly coached Hawks. 

Added to that was our strong effort for three quarters against the current Premiers, the Tiges. We were demoralised in the last quarter but the difference between a win in that game and its actual loss was pretty close 'up to a point' and form at the moment could tend to be interpreted to provide a winning result had the game been played now. The Tiges actually struggled against the Roos and so did the tide of the game. The Tiges, therefore, have susceptibilities. The Tiges were struggling against the Dees.

Still, it is great to be in the top eight, now to build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skuit said:

Goodwin has copped a bit of heat on Dl but playing four super mobile talls rotating though the forward line, wind up the ground and on ball is unique and represents a real strategic point of difference to other clubs.

This is a great innovation for us, so Goodwin deserves a pat on the back for such decision-making. With my bias, I also like to see Pedo into this mix each week while he can still walk and before he needs a cane to get from one side of the fwd line to the other, as I really admire his work ethic, his improved fitness and his skills to create scores. These would be great attributes for the Weed to see onfield with Pedo, to join in such team play and to adopt for his own future, and transformation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I'd also like to apologise to Lewis.  I was calling for his head a couple of weeks ago, but his last two games have been exactly what we need from him and this week he was working all the time, coaching from the bench, directing and leading on the field and generally provided great value. 

This is true and I wish to apologise, as well. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"All the Goals" now up on site, but we got robbed. Last 3 goals not shown.
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bing181 said:

Sure, but you're acting as if "perspective" has some fixed meaning, and you and only you get to define what that meaning is.

Enjoying the kind of performance/win that we saw yesterday is just as valid a perspective as - well, whatever it is you're proposing. Criticising those who say we should "keep things in perspective" is keeping things in perspective - just not yours.

Gee I wish had that power. Well the lid will really be blown off this week if we manage to beat the 17th place team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2018 at 12:31 PM, Wiseblood said:

What a load of [censored].  Seriously. 

100% agree.   The dribble that comes out on here sometimes is ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Gee I wish had that power. Well the lid will really be blown off this week if we manage to beat the 17th place team.

We'll be 6-3 for the first time to start a season in over a decade if we win this weekend.  You can cry into your coffee about it and blame the fixturing schedule, but I'll be pretty pleased to see us in this position when you factor in what we've put up with over the last 10 seasons.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 2:33 PM, stevethemanjordan said:

Positive to win again last night with a few individual standouts.

Enjoying that Goodwin is now sticking with the taller forward-line, clearly it's paying dividends. Really nice to see others bob up in the absence of Hogan and Petracca. Neither of whom had a big influence on the game when it was in the balance. Trac was very quiet, not sure why Goody didn't roll him through the midfield mix to get him into the game. 

Our forward-half game is as good as Richmonds and many stats have us close to number one in that area. However, I refuse to get overly excited for a couple of reasons. Both games against Hawthorn and Richmond, we were made to pay due to our inefficiency going forward and it continues to haunt us. Even against the lowly suns, the amount of times we went inside with little to no care, only to see the ball ping out and go coast to coast into the suns forward line was concerning.

If the inefficiency continues in that manner, we're not going to have a lot of fun against any half decent side. So whilst wins are good and percentage is important, I am yet to be convinced that we can match it against the better sides inside the eight.

I could name six to seven players who were constantly butchering the ball going forward. Whether it's banging it on the boot aimlessly or kicking to the wrong spots, it needs to be addressed. Trac, Brayshaw, Harmes, ANB, Tyson, Melksham and even Jones just weren't using the ball well enough. I can cop a handful having an off day, but not an entire midfield/half forward unit.

ANB and Tyson continue to butcher real opportunities. If Garlett has a good game, I want him in for ANB and Viney in for Tyson.

Seriously, I have zero idea what Goodwin is seeing in Dom atm. So insignificant.

  I think trac is still dealing with  bite issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weids is to 2018 what Oscar was to 2017

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Weids is to 2018 what Oscar was to 2017

My thoughts exactly.

Weid is not getting a lot of the ball, but is doing some nice things with it when he does.

Those possessions will increase with games, confidence and development,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Social Media



    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×