Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Go and get Gaff!

McQueen

3 hours ago, Mondê said:

Trevor Nisbett had some quite strong thoughts on this kind of incident earlier in the year...

"An amateur WA footballer has a broken jaw after an alleged behind-the-play strike that prompted West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett to call for thugs to be marched out of the game.

Mr Nisbett, whose two sons play in the WAAFL, said the Eagles sponsored the competition and expected games to be in the “right spirit”. Anyone who engaged in extreme violence should be deregistered.

“This is a dreadful incident for guys who just want to go and play and have some fun,” Mr Nisbett said.

“Guys don’t sign up for this and if you’re going to go outside the laws of the game, you should be punished with the maximum penalty.

“Enough is enough. This has been creeping in for a number of years. It’s not so much the number of incidents but their severity.”

...Awkward.

It will be interesting to see how he spins this. 

3 hours ago, McQueen said:

Galbally talking about rubbing him out for a year???

Good Lord.

Galbally!  I wonder what he would be saying were the accused a Collingwood player?   

3 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

It wasn't Gaff that took it on the chin. Many posters here are almost condoning Gaff's thuggery. My real symphathy goes to the entire Brayshaw family. Hope this incident doesn't stop Angus from showing us his real talent.

Well we won’t get a chance to seeGus fronting up to Gaff in two weeks time, but he does get a chance to show WCE what he feels about them as a club.

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned earlier in this thread but in my opinion it's pretty clear that the swinging arm was directed at Brayshaws chest but right at that moment when Gaff started the swing, Brayshaw dipped enough that he weared it flush in the mouth. I expect this to be argued in his defence.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the knuckle on the index finger that did the damage either as the fist would've struck more from that side of the hand.

Are you really suggesting that this is not as bad as it looks because Brayshaw ducked into it? ?

1 hour ago, MurDoc516 said:

The red card system needs to be balanced. You can't have players being red carded because they accidentally bumped someone in the head and that guy is off for the game because of concussion. It needs to be done only for purposeful or terrible acts within a game (Gaff, Hall, Cameron and Bugg) and not for incidents like let's say the tackle on J. Smith on the weekend. However, knowing the AFL it will become a big controversy within a week of it being implemented.

Fair dinkum ...... AFL can’t get anything tight especially regards rule changes.  

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Same type of incident

Greening never fully recovered, nothing ridiculous about that at all

I haven’t seen any discussion about the almost certain concussion Young Brayshaw has suffered.  Must be just awful for his family. 

53 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

out of interest would you then restrict the team to 17 players on the field (this is what happens in soccer) or would you allow substitution ie use of the bench.

NO SUBSTITUTE which is why it must be reserved for rare instances like this.

42 minutes ago, Crompton's the man said:

Is that the one where he [Matthews]ran past a first game Melbourne player who never played again?

If so pot kettle black 

38 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

That’s him. He went on to become a doctor 

Became an eminent pediatric surgeon I believe. 

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Freo could bring on a player to replace Brayshaw. But Meth Coke are down to 17

I see what you're suggesting. But in my scenario nobody gets a replacement.

You'd have to always carry a spare, like in the days of the sub, on the off chance of a red card. 

15 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

OD it was my spelling. I said resign, but meant he will re sign with the eagles. So we agree

Arh did the auto correct get you? Gets me regularly.

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I see what you're suggesting. But in my scenario nobody gets a replacement.

You'd have to always carry a spare, like in the days of the sub, on the off chance of a red card. 

If a player is Red Carded, it should be a massive penalty to the offending team, that is the whole point.

Meth Coke can still rotate the 17 remaing players. But Freo have 18 players on the ground. 

• Like 1

Copying soccer's red card rule and taking a team down to 17 a side would be stupid. 

Soccer invokes a send off with a red card because harsh punishments are needed for dangerous plays - to avoid leg and head injuries mainly - and for plays that kill scoring chances given how few there are in a game. Plus it's a game based on 3 substitutions and not rotations.

Making the game 18 on 17 doesn't' make sense for AFL football. You can't defend and counter attack with 1 short in AFL footy like you can in a soccer game.

I'm against red cards/send offs because these incidents are so rare (only about 3 in this whole season) so I don't see the point, but if you were to bring it in you'd start with sending the player off and allowing them to be replaced. That's enough retribution. 

Shocking act, AFL needs to make an example of it BUT.

I don't think for a minute Gaff intended to strike him in the face, in my opinion the action is reminscent of what a lot of players do to strike the arm/chest etc in order to break a tag or run off their opponent, but Gaff in this case misjudged his aim very badly, and the resultant injury is horrific and he's done for the year... and possibly then some.

The hysteria on social media and by all and sundry is getting too much however. Let the tribunal judge him, and lets see where it goes from there. The talk about criminal charges ... dunno bout that, it's not condoned, and was a brutal hit on Brayshaw, but I don't think that these lawyers are helping anyone (except for their own profiles) by making comment. Leigh Matthews is even worse, he was a known thug in his playing career, I don't remember how many people he hit whilst on the field, but he should just shut up and stay out of it.  

What the AFL needs to come out and say as a result of this incident is that any striking actions (jumper punches etc) are going to be treated with a lot more severity. They cracked down on it last year.... for all of three weeks,.... and then let it go again, players get a fine at most. Don't fine the players, suspend them from games, that hurts the club AND the player. 

EDIT: Oh and if they are mates off field (including Hamish) it does add another level of intrigue to the whole thing. Won't change the impact of what has happened, nor the outcome, but I suspect the family will accept the apology knowing the person behind it a little moreso than it would from a stranger!

Edited by Ouch!
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Copying soccer's red card rule and taking a team down to 17 a side would be stupid. 

Soccer invokes a send off with a red card because harsh punishments are needed for dangerous plays - to avoid leg and head injuries mainly - and for plays that kill scoring chances given how few there are in a game. Plus it's a game based on 3 substitutions and not rotations.

Making the game 18 on 17 doesn't' make sense for AFL football. You can't defend and counter attack with 1 short in AFL footy like you can in a soccer game.

I'm against red cards/send offs because these incidents are so rare (only about 3 in this whole season) so I don't see the point, but if you were to bring it in you'd start with sending the player off and allowing them to be replaced. That's enough retribution. 

But then certain players could be “Targeted” as a tactic, knowing a replacement is available. 

If a player is Red Carded, that team have to lose a man onfield. 

17 v 18

image.thumb.png.0ce76f5c92ece38c507154d4693f7522.png

After the horrid picture of the aftermath it is good to see a smile on the young fella (taken while he was in the ambulance).

Courage runs deep in the Brayshaw family.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

image.thumb.png.0ce76f5c92ece38c507154d4693f7522.png

Courage runs deep in the Brayshaw family.

After the horrid picture of the aftermath it is good to see a smile on the young fella.

He looks like a tinier version of our Gus, which only upsets me more.

Glad to see him in good spirits. I'm sure he'll get the best medical care and make a full recovery, although broken jaws and lost teeth is a very nasty long recovery process to endure for anyone, let alone a professional athlete. Not being able to eat solids will no doubt impact negatively on his muscle mass and so forth. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm in favour of red card but it has to remain 18 v 18 on the field.  Red card is only applied if the targetted player is out of the rest of the game - then it's 21 v 21.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

18 hours ago, deanox said:

The rules of victoria apply on the football field and outside a night club.  The rules of Saudi Arabia do not apply. 

Except the rules of Victoria don't necessarily apply in Western Australia, which is where it happened, and the WA Police Commissioner Dawson has already indicated a reluctance to step into the professional sport arena:

“Physical contact on the footy field is expected. The central issue here is what should be governed by the sporting code and what falls within the criminal realm."

The Saudi Arabia analogy was put in to highlight the stupidity of the original quote. Violence at nightclubs is usually alcohol fueled with a different context

Edited by Moonshadow

20 minutes ago, Jaded said:

He looks like a tinier version of our Gus, which only upsets me more.

Glad to see him in good spirits. I'm sure he'll get the best medical care and make a full recovery, although broken jaws and lost teeth is a very nasty long recovery process to endure for anyone, let alone a professional athlete. Not being able to eat solids will no doubt impact negatively on his muscle mass and so forth. 

Would love to have them both. 

37 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

I'm in favour of red card but it has to remain 18 v 18 on the field.  Red card is only applied if the targetted player is out of the rest of the game - then it's 21 v 21.

Worth the risk to some coaches, if a certain player is targeted in September for example. 

Red Cards must mean a team is a man down onfield to make it the deterrent it should be

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I just saw Brayshaws mouth on the Channel 10 news! Not great! Feel for him...

12 weeks! No less and No more...

Character references, first time offence mean nothing in this case and should not be considered. West Coast should not defend and just accept.

The AFL should put out a Notice to all players, clubs, leagues Australia wide that from this date forward this type of incident will be treated as assault and will involve the Police. It’s not a footy act! 

If the AFL wants to be serious. Punishment for this kind of behaviour is expulsion from all levels for life!

If the AFL doesn’t act! Solicitors will...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

I just saw Brayshaws mouth on the Channel 10 news! Not great! Feel for him...

12 weeks! No less and No more...

Character references, first time offence mean nothing in this case and should not be considered. West Coast should not defend and just accept.

The AFL should put out a Notice to all players, clubs, leagues Australia wide that from this date forward this type of incident will be treated as assault and will involve the Police. It’s not a footy act! 

If the AFL wants to be serious. Punishment for this kind of behaviour is expulsion from all levels for life!

If the AFL doesn’t act! Solicitors will...

You raise an interesting point, Mr T.  How many weeks does he have to get before it is seen as a satisfactory outcome for society and the game?  If it is less, it invites external interference including legal action.  The Tribunal have to get this number right.  It has to are into account that this was an 18 year old kid and the sever damage that was caused by the action.  It also needs to set a precedent to stop it happening again.

Also, Nisbett is caught on his own desire to be a media [censored].

There has been an over reaction to Gaff's stupid punch IMO. I can see the arc swinging back in a day or two to sympathy for the devil.

It is a huge blot in an otherwise stellar career. I think 6 weeks and a genuine apology would see it over.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

So I feel like they shouldn’t put weeks on it, I think they should simply say he won’t play again this year. Brayshaw’s season is done, Gaff shouldn’t have a chance to play in a grand final. 

If they do want to put a figure of weeks make it 7, and it potentially runs him out for games next year. But should he play again this year he will be given a lot of heat. Ironically probably the same sort of heat they gave Adam Goodes (still can’t work out why that went so far). 

I’m not defending Gaff but I’m sure doctors and Ambo’s could say severity punches can depend so much on where the person is hit. I very much doubt Gaff picked a spot on his face thinking “this is going to cause maximum damage” I see it more as a wild swing not really aiming at anything. 

Bugg’s hit could’ve been just as bad last year but Mills only (I say only in comparative recovery terms) ended up with concussion. 

For that reason the teeth and jaw being so badly damaged shouldn’t weigh as much into it as I think people think. It’s as bad as Bugg’s hit, Brayshaw’s gone for the year, given the timing of it so should Gaff. 

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

@Bobby McKenzie I have just read every one of @McQueen's posts on the topic. You made this up. In fact he specifically states he does not condone the actions.

Best you just withdraw your statement for the fake news it is and apologise to McQueen. 

Yes oh master! Whatever you say sir. McQueen made assumptions that the punch was not aimed at Brayshaw's face but his gut. Is this not defending his actions in some way?  Off your high horse mate.