• Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview

North list manager saying North was the only club to sit down and talk to Gaff apparently.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, SFebes said:

North list manager saying North was the only club to sit down and talk to Gaff apparently.

and he still said NO to them ....

dont forget this was us a few years ago , we chased many players and most said no . Just North put it out in the open , sill if you ask me to do it via the media 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markc said:

dont forget this was us a few years ago , we chased many players and most said no . Just North put it out in the open , sill if you ask me to do it via the media 

Too true.

Melbourne has always had the potential to be a glamour side though.  Maybe its the colours, or the fact we are named after the capital city?  I dont know.

All I know is North will always be North.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not directly about Gaff but Eagles thinking of matching Port's FA offer for Lycett.

Possibly, just a ploy to force Port into a trade.  Smart thinking by Eagles; Lycett stays or they get a decent pick they can then use as part of a Kelly trade or to trade in another ruckman.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SFebes said:

Yes, but most of the work in the lead up is done through discussions with their manager. 

Anyway, as if Norf would know who Gaff speaks to...

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonshadow said:

Yes, but most of the work in the lead up is done through discussions with their manager. 

Anyway, as if Norf would know who Gaff speaks to...

How can I take you seriously moondog when you can't even count properly

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Melbourne has always had the potential to be a glamour side though.  Maybe its the colours, or the fact we are named after the capital city?  I dont know.

I think that's some of it. Melbourne has the name tied up. Despite a lack of success in my lifetime (yes, I'm over 50), it still rings as more of a 'real club' for some reason. Norf is Norf and St Kilda are St Kilda, but Melbourne is for some reason more. Just more.

I think another part is the home ground. It is after all the Melbourne CG, not the Collingwood (see I swore and got away with it) Cricket Ground, or despite what they think, the Richmond CG.

And, again despite the continuous failure, you have a decent number of supporters. Certainly more than Norf or the Saints.

Edited by Aus in Engerland
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Too true.

They’ve won a few premierships in the past 54 years. Unlike us.

33 minutes ago, Aus in Engerland said:

I think that's some of it. Melbourne has the name tied up. Despite a lack of success in my lifetime (yes, I'm over 50), it still rings as more of a 'real club' for some reason. Norf is Norf and St Kilda are St Kilda, but Melbourne is for some reason more. Just more.

I think another part is the home ground. It is after all the Melbourne CG, not the Collingwood (see I swore and got away with it) Cricket Ground, or despite what they think, the Richmond CG.

And, again despite the continuous failure, you have a decent number of supporters. Certainly more than Norf or the Saints.

Which team do you support?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, President Dee Trump said:

Which team do you support?

WC. I joined to discuss the Prelim (before it was played) as I find it instructive to see what real supporters are thinking. And I consider that, unlike some groups of supporters, MFC ones are generally human and worth conversing with. I try to be fair in all posts. I think that genuine support is to be admired and abuse, trolling and derision are unacceptable. I have not and will not gloat over the prelim result or the GF, even though I am ecstatic over how the team played. Nor will I shy away from my joy over season 2018.

I am aware that I am effectively a guest/visitor and it is not my place to abuse posters or the MFC. 

At WC, we had a number of foreign posters, (Graham Gaunt is one from MFC I remember) who were welcome under the same rules I apply to myself. I felt that the good ones added to the site and I was happy to have them there.

As for Gaff I think that this has ended up reasonably well for both WC and Norf. WC get to keep an elite player and Norf get to keep the silly money they were offering. If he had gone to Norf it would have been a lose/lose. WC would have lost a top player and got rubbish compo and Norf would have tied up a huge part of their TPP on one player. When you add Polac and Hall to Gaff it would have been about $3mill per annum over just 3 players (1.0M+0.7M+1.3M). That is about 22% of your TPP on just 3 guys, which is madness for the rest of the list.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Aus in Engerland said:

WC. I joined to discuss the Prelim (before it was played) as I find it instructive to see what real supporters are thinking. And I consider that, unlike some groups of supporters, MFC ones are generally human and worth conversing with. I try to be fair in all posts. I think that genuine support is to be admired and abuse, trolling and derision are unacceptable. I have not and will not gloat over the prelim result or the GF, even though I am ecstatic over how the team played. Nor will I shy away from my joy over season 2018.

I am aware that I am effectively a guest/visitor and it is not my place to abuse posters or the MFC. 

At WC, we had a number of foreign posters, (Graham Gaunt is one from MFC I remember) who were welcome under the same rules I apply to myself. I felt that the good ones added to the site and I was happy to have them there.

As for Gaff I think that this has ended up reasonably well for both WC and Norf. WC get to keep an elite player and Norf get to keep the silly money they were offering. If he had gone to Norf it would have been a lose/lose. WC would have lost a top player and got rubbish compo and Norf would have tied up a huge part of their TPP on one player. When you add Polac and Hall to Gaff it would have been about $3mill per annum over just 3 players (1.0M+0.7M+1.3M). That is about 22% of your TPP on just 3 guys, which is madness for the rest of the list.

Good post - you're very welcome here from my POV.

I agree and was hoping for that lose-lose outcome.

• Like 3

Norf poster at Big Footy referring to him as Andrew Gagf.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Norf poster at Big Footy referring to him as Andrew Gagf.

And on that note.. now that the Gaff saga is over, this is moving back to the main Demonland board.