Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sloane, Gaff, Lynch and/or 2MtrPeter

DV8

We lack senior leadership, and we also lack quality gut run.

Midfield Marking is missing from our team stats, big time...

I truly do not think Gawn Maxi-mouse can do it, on a regular basis.   He does lack the intensity required for finals matches.

Far too Nice.

==========

Wattsy worth ?

Thoughts ?

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

Midfield Marking is missing from our team stats, bigtime...

I truly do not think Gawn Maxi-mouse can do it, on a regular basis.   He does lack the intensity required for finals matches.

Far too Nice.

==========

Wattsy worth ?

Thoughts ?

I don't believe posting close to beer o'clock on a Friday should be allowed.

I do believe we need another quality ruckman as well as a quality outside runner.

Edited by pewpewpew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In answer to the OP, would happily take any of those players.

In response to the suggestion that we trade Gawn, our Vice captain, a previous all Australian, who would be odds-on for a repeat this year, and a man who has stood up and played blinders in our biggest wins of the last of the last 3 years (West Coast 2017, Hawthorn 2016, Geelong 2015)... you have got to be kidding??

Tuesday night was as close to a finals atmosphere as you're going to get in a H/A match and he had 16 disposals, 8 tackles and 56 hit-outs... what does he need to do to convince you?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DV8 said:

Far too Nice.

==========

Wattsy worth ?

Thoughts ?

Are you on day release?

What is midfield marking?

To even think of trading Gawn, I'll have what you're having

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DV8 said:

Far too Nice.

==========

Wattsy worth ?

Thoughts ?

Hi Deeluded!

6 hours ago, DV8 said:

Far too Nice.

==========

Wattsy worth ?

Thoughts ?

A steak and curry pie will give you a quality gut run...

• Like 1

Senior leadership? We have Lewis, Vince and Jones then leaders like Viney, TMac. How much do we need? Quantity vs Quality is an area for discussion of course. Irrespective of leadership if Sloane or Gaff were interested yes we should investigate further. Gaff would be a great get for us but what chance? 

Gaff is no chance. We do not have $750k a year to splash as a huge carrot. Gaff is not worth that.

Bring back Mackay from the Crows on a 2-year deal for $350k yr 1 & $300k in yr 2. We tried before. Let’s try as an unrestricted free agent. 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
$

22 hours ago, homsar said:

What are you saying? We trade Max Gawn for these three guys?

No... it's a thread about our bigger needs;   and surplus.

We need maturity > Sloane, can run and carry, is an inside and outside mid..

We need midfield gut runners  > .Gaff

We need midfield marking. >  Lynch,

We need  a mobile follower ruck type who can mark regularly in the midzone. > Lynch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maxy,  although lovable clown he is;  is not a great ruck/follower. Taps are overrated unless he can put the ball in their hip pockets.

Him getting tap-out stats, does not equate to clearances won.

He just does not do enough around the middle of the ground that is damaging in favour of the D's.

So I'm suggesting we should think about allowing him fresh pastures. in favour of us winning Lynch's services.

It is the midfield marking that was our key last year, and the bollocking work Pedo did that assisted us in our prime form Mid 2017_

That work of Pedo bear and TMc, really aided our mids to run and carry, and deliver, netting us a better outcome.

Maxy is too big, in this area, accept as a beanpole.  Maybe the Giants could do with him.

IMO we need Lynch,,, and either-or Gaff, with his newfound areas of inside work, and Sloane, ranger's inside and run work, and his maturity suits our list.

Edited by DV8

Lynch > Gaff > Dahlhaus > Sloane > Wright

Lynch and Hogan together would be a headache for any opposing team, only issue would be the competitive price tag and our poor performances. Gaff could very well be serviceable, I don't think he worth an over-inflated price tag. Same applies for Dahlhaus. Sloane, IMO, is approaching the twilight of his career. He's a great player but we may only get two very good years from him (like Vince). I don't rate Wright, I'd only want him at his standard or below standard market value. Finally, I'd rather see the club aggressively target Wines and trade. For me Viney, Oliver, and Wines on ball, with the addition of Lynch rotating with Hogan between FF and CHF would tranform the team entirely (if the game plan was fixed as well). Just don't think we'll have the dosh.

16 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Senior leadership? We have Lewis, Vince and Jones

then leaders like Viney, TMac. How much do we need? Quantity vs Quality is an area for discussion of course. Irrespective of leadership if Sloane or Gaff were interested yes we should investigate further. Gaff would be a great get for us but what chance? 

Senior, quality, onfield leaders we don't have.

How many do we need; we need a spread, across our ages.

Of the seniors, We did with Lew, but he's cooked now.   Bernie's dusted as well.

Jones is not really in the bracket of winning knowledge.  He's just a fine example of work-rate.  Not what i think of as a tactical leader.

Garlett, well, is Jeffery. what else.

-----------

Viney/TMc are the emerging leaders, who don't have enough on-field role models, for them to learn from... agricultural.

That's the leadership angle..

-----------------------------

We need inside/outside mids who are capable.  Both Sloane and Gaff ( Restricted), suit us, in differing ways

Sloane ( Restricted), helps to fill the maturity void, between our 25Yr  - 28yr olds.  At 28Yrs he brings us mature leadership with vast experience, and he works both the inside and the outside.

We could give him one contract (3 or 4 Yr term), that would see him through,,, which would work in well with our young guns coming thru.  Re salary cap...   Mahoney can balance the books, so the timing of payments work out.

Gaff ( Restricted), has been mentioned of as soft-ish... but gut-runs, finds his own footy, and this year is working inside the mids as well his tackling is on the up, and generally is maturing as an all round player.

I see him now as a need.

???? Luke Dahlhaus???

Lynch ( Restricted), will bring us a real option as a follower in the ruck, who will mark around the ground and rests deep forward as a potent threat.

IMO he would work brilliantly with 'the Weide', who moved well the other night without staring at all... but showed he's getting closer. Did not look out of place, and i think 'Weide' will come on this season, with his game.

.....2MtrPeter would be fantastic also, for deep forward, but I'm unsure of his following abilities.

Maxy ( Restricted), is currently at maximum value now, and is 'a sell' at the top of the market, me thinks.

I would prefer to keep TMc ( Restricted), over Gawn.   TMc ( Restricted), is a strong mark around the grounds.

We should be going Ball's out, after Sloane, and Lynch.

------------------

Trades out, possibility's >

Gawn frees cap space. we get something back.

Tyson, could be of value ?

Brayshaw, ?

Neal-Bullen, ?

Kent,?

36 minutes ago, ignition. said:

Lynch > Gaff > Dahlhaus > Sloane > Wright

Lynch and Hogan together would be a headache for any opposing team, only issue would be the competitive price tag and our poor performances. Gaff could very well be serviceable, I don't think he worth an over-inflated price tag. Same applies for Dahlhaus. Sloane, IMO, is approaching the twilight of his career. He's a great player but we may only get two very good years from him (like Vince). I don't rate Wright, I'd only want him at his standard or below standard market value. Finally, I'd rather see the club aggressively target Wines and trade. For me Viney, Oliver, and Wines on ball, with the addition of Lynch rotating with Hogan between FF and CHF would tranform the team entirely (if the game plan was fixed as well). Just don't think we'll have the dosh.

Wines would be great to have in tandem. No doubt, but I think he may be made captain of Port.

i would swap Gawn for wines, in a heart beat.

Pity there isn't a mid year trade period this year. they've lost PRyder. 

We could/may well have had Wines in red'n'blue in 2018 ?

Lynch would walk into any team, but we have Hogan and a developing Weideman already. Plus, Tom McDonald who rarely misses in front of goal. While at the other end, Oscar is developing nicely, Lever, Hibberd and Jetta are all stars and Petty looks to be a ripper (can't wait to see him play some more). Our key positions are fine, it's our midfield that is lacking.

I'd throw Dylan Shiel a 5 year contract and $750k. Pace and ball winning ability. Could be the missing ingredient to our midfield. I'd go hard.

And I've been a Tyson fan in the past, but I'd look at a trade if it helped us get a comparable mid with better pace.

Edited by A F

I would be chasing the No 4 pick we should have taken years ago. 

He has toughness, skill, leg speed, awareness and composure. Would easily complement our midfield strengths in Clarry and Jack V, giving Max 3 targets. 

I would imagine this guy would replace Bernie, Jordy and Dom in one powerful hit and ease the burden on Chunk. 

Jack spoke of him in this week's podcast. 

I suspect correcting a past error will not be an option available to us, as the young lad will be as dedicated to Port as our interstate recruits are to us. But boy wouldn't that be a ruck/rover/midfield to envy. 

Ahhh to dream. Where's that empty glass of single malt. Time for a refill. 

35 minutes ago, Hot as Hell said:

I would be chasing the No 4 pick we should have taken years ago. 

He has toughness, skill, leg speed, awareness and composure. Would easily complement our midfield strengths in Clarry and Jack V, giving Max 3 targets. 

I would imagine this guy would replace Bernie, Jordy and Dom in one powerful hit and ease the burden on Chunk. 

Jack spoke of him in this week's podcast. 

I suspect correcting a past error will not be an option available to us, as the young lad will be as dedicated to Port as our interstate recruits are to us. But boy wouldn't that be a ruck/rover/midfield to envy. 

Ahhh to dream. Where's that empty glass of single malt. Time for a refill. 

I wouldn't say Wines is skilled or quick. But I'd agree with the rest of it. We need speed, so he's off the list for me.

• Like 2

What is Max Gawn worth?  He is  worth the whole team.  AA Ruckman and if we want to make the Finals he is a the most vital to the cause. Atleast he gives it his all and that is what you want from most of the others. We would have made the 8 if he held up last season.

If Sloane wants a move  then l hope his mate Bernie helps in coming to the Dees.