Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 6

Demonland

THE LONG WAY HOME by Whispering Jack

Recently, I was at Carrara for the Commonwealth Games and while watching the women’s 10,000 metre final, it was clear that the runners on the outside of the front bunch were going to be the first to tire and when that happened, they fell by the wayside. 

It’s been the same of late with the Demons. On the big stage against Richmond on Tuesday night, they were plodding along that Members wing taking the long way home, often finding themselves cornered, under pressure and resorting to chains of risky handballs that would inevitably come unstuck allowing them to be picked off by waiting Tigers who would move the ball into the corridor and set up their attacks.

There has to be something wrong as well when, despite the overwhelming dominance of Max Gawn in the ruck, and some solid quality in its onball division, Melbourne fails to achieve winning  figures in terms of clearances from the midfield and from the stoppages. 

This feature is also compounded by the drying up of scoring opportunities through a lack of goal kicking power, despite the team having demonstrated earlier in the year, in both the pre season and the first few games, multiple goal scorers and a power key forward in Jesse Hogan.

With Hogan often doing a lot of his work up to 100 metres from the goal face, he’s going to be productive in the middle but this leaves very little, if any, marking power up forward. Even when Sam Weideman was up there, it was so easy for the premiership winning defence to pick off the ball and repulse the Demon attacks. 

This was no better demonstrated by one of the most stunning statistics of Tuesday night. In the opening quarter, Melbourne had 19 entries into the forward fifty metre arc and managed a solitary goal - the snap from Jake Melksham at the two minute mark of the game. They should have set themselves for a good win with that number of forward opportunities - it turned out an epic fail that would bite hard by the end of the game.

The Demons are fortunate in that on Sunday, they come up against an equally shambolic and disappointing side in Essendon which was poor when it lowered its colours to Collingwood on Anzac Day. 

One would hope that Simon Goodwin comes up with something different this week because if he allows his players to box themselves out of the inside running and take the same old ineffective options, the result will be the same as it has been for the last two weeks. 

THE GAME 

Essendon v Melbourne at Etihad Stadium Sunday, 29 April, 2018 at 1.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Essendon 129 wins Melbourne 82 wins 2 draws

At Etihad Stadium Essendon 3 wins Melbourne 2 wins

The last five meetings 3 wins Melbourne 2 wins

The Coaches Worsfold 0 wins Goodwin 1 win

MEDIA

TV – Fox Footy Channel - Live at 1.00pm

RADIO - SEN ABC ABC Grandstand 

THE LAST TIME THEY MET Melbourne 17.10.112 defeated Essendon 10.14.74 at Etihad Stadium, Round 6, 2017

Melbourne got itself back on the winner’s list after three losses in a row with a solid effort at Etihad Stadium. The Demons were helped by Joe Daniher’s yips in front of goal and Jack Watts’ accuracy - the much maligned forward booted four goals.

THE TEAMS  

ESSENDON

B: Brendon Goddard, Michael Hurley, Adam Saad
HB: Patrick Ambrose, Cale Hooker, Dyson Heppell
? Matt Guelfi, Jayden Laverde, Kobe Mutch
HF: Ben McNiece, Jake Stringer, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
F: David Zaharakis, Joe Daniher, Mark Baguley
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Devon Smith, Jackson Merrett
I/C: Darcy Parish, Andrew McGrath, Zach Merrett, James Stewart,
Emg: Dylan Clarke, Kyle Langford, Shaun McKernan, Jordan Ridley

In: Patrick Ambrose, Jayden Laverde, Matthew Leuenberger, Ben McNiece, Kobe Mutch

Out: Josh Begley (injured), Tom Bellchambers (rested), Josh Green (injured), Michael Hartley (rested), David Myers (rested) 

MELBOURNE

B: Jake Lever, Oscar McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Bernie Vince, Michael Hibberd, Jayden Hunt
? Jordan Lewis, Nathan Jones, Christian Salem
HF: Angus Brayshaw, Jesse Hogan, Jake Melksham
F: Alex Neal-Bullen, Sam Weideman, James Harmes
Foll: Max Gawn, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver
I/C: Bayley Fritsch, Mitch Hannan, Tom McDonald, Charlie Spargo
Emg: Jeff Garlett, Joel Smith, Timothy Smith, Josh Wagner 

In: Bayley Fritsch, Mitch Hannan, Jordan Lewis, Tom McDonald, Charlie Spargo

Out: Jeff Garlett (omitted), Dean Kent (hamstring), Christian Petracca (finger), Billy Stretch (omitted), Josh Wagner (omitted)

New: Charlie Spargo

GETTING EVEN

Some years ago, I attended a Melbourne Football Club luncheon where the keynote speaker was Chris Connolly, the former Demon player and Fremantle coach who more lately, was the back at the club as its football manager.

As has been customary at this organisation, the place was in crisis at the time (both on and off the field) and Connolly was taking questions from the floor after his rather optimistic spiel about the club’s long term future (and it seems to me that the definition of “long term” in that context insofar as the Demons are concerned is ever expanding beyond expectations).

One questioner took aim at the team make up after the previous week’s loss and suggested that it was time for heads to roll and for massive changes to be made. Connolly’s response was that in his estimation, a large shake up was unnecessary and further, that when a club makes five changes or more, the chances of a win were virtually zero.

So this week, as two of the competition’s more disappointing teams face off against each other, Connolly’s words will be tested. Both sides have made five changes and, on that basis, there can only be one result - a draw. And that is my prediction for this week.

That result is justified not only on the basis of the Connolly theory but on a factual basis. These two teams are evenly matched. At this stage of the season, the Bombers are 13th in the AFL ladder with 8 points and a percentage of 89.2, just 0.4% ahead of Melbourne in 14th place with the same number of premiership points. The Demons of course, are becoming used to lagging others in percentage by such a small margin to an extent that is very much to their detriment.

Both sides are having trouble winning matches, their forward lines are more than somewhat dysfunctional and the only thing they seem to be good at of late, is total capitulation in the final quarter. After the Demons’ frustrating finish to 2017, one would have expected much better than what they’ve served up late in their games this year - at the very least a bit of fight at the end to save face. But it hasn’t happened. The Bombers are similarly, in total disarray.

I would be heavily tempted normally to tip Melbourne on the basis that the team selection appears to help cover some of the gaping holes revealed in its structure over the past two weeks but the words of Chris Connolly keep ringing in my ears.

So for this game, I can see Joe Daniher booting 8 goals (four on each of the McDonald brothers) but the Demons somehow snatching a draw from the jaws of victory.

My tip - for the second week in a row, the AFL will see a drawn game.

• Like 2

To me, and others may disagree, this is how I see it:

Our backline should have their forwards covered.

Our midfield is stronger than theirs, especially in contested ball.  They love cheap kicks and handpasses.

Their backline is probably, at the moment, stronger than our forwards, particularly if we bomb it long so Hurley and Hooker can just pick it off.

Dees by 4 goals.

• Like 1

Hopefully we can put our strongest team on the park meaning Pedo, T.Mac, Fritsch, Spargo and Lewis replace Harmes, Stretch, ANB, Vince and Kent.

The Dees to win by 30 points.

• Like 1

Hopefully we can put our strongest team on the park meaning Pedo, T.Mac, Fritsch, Spargo and Lewis replace Harmes, Stretch, ANB, Vince and Kent.

The Dees to win by 30 points.

Our strongest team is not one that has all of Hogan, Weideman and Pedersen in it.  There's no need.

Charlie Spargo is not in our best 22 either.  One day he might be, but he isn't right now.  Some might argue Lewis isn't in our best 22 either.  So no, adding the above does not make it our strongest team.

Based on our current game “plan”, Essendon’s poor showing on Wednesday, last years game and the short turnaround between games, I’m highly confident it will be a thoroughly entertaining affair of poorly executed skills, turnovers and howlers. There may even be a score or two, rushed behinds should do well as our third KPF. I’ve got no effing idea who will win, and have lost the will to watch.

• Like 1

I think we need to roll the dice with Tmac for this game. His interview sounded very positive to me and his comment about getting his “conditioning out on the MCG” sounds to me as though his toe is 100%.

He’s a seasoned player and extremely fit. I reckon he’ll be the key to converting more of the immense forward 50 entries into goals.

Viney of last season was a completely different issue and a much more severe injury. The two are apples and oranges.

Get him in.

Edited by McQueen
Spelling fixes
  • Like 6

Well Stretch and Nibbler must be bvggered from running round all night ( aimlessly ).They can rest.

Tmac ought to come in if fit

Fritsch...in for Harmes.

I can't see Lewis being ready but i wouldn't mind his Footy head down back running things.

Might wait to see who trains when for actual ins/ outs

• Like 2

Our strongest team is not one that has all of Hogan, Weideman and Pedersen in it.  There's no need.

Charlie Spargo is not in our best 22 either.  One day he might be, but he isn't right now.  Some might argue Lewis isn't in our best 22 either.  So no, adding the above does not make it our strongest team.

Why? Pedo kicked 5 on the weekend. Our forward line don't kick goals. I'd rather see a youngster in the side like Spargo than players that are long in the tooth like Vince. Agree with Lewis I wouldn't mind seeing him dropped but the other 4 have to be dropped before him.

We won't have a best 22 to at least Viney comes back.

• Like 1

If yesterday was any indication Ess will try ... emphasis..TRY ...to control the ball. They love dlcking around the back 50 in the effort to maintain this control. 

Here's the opportunity to slice them open. They ..like us... :( ..over use the ball. This might be a day for Jeffy...if he wakes up ? The likes of Milkshake Jeffy...even Tom...if fit and selected should..again.. SHOULD .. get plenty of opportunities to score. Of course our conversion of late sux.

On paper we're better....on grass...who the f knows.

Essendon wilted against a pretty effectual attack. Bucks isn't affraid of the corridor..and that was the G !! 

Etihad is a weird ground. Too easy for us to get list in pockets. The best way to goal is the guts ...or switching back into the corridor...sadly something we seemed to have forgotten how to do.

Danger Will Robinson.

Two elements that will be different from last meeting. I doubt Hairy Lip Joe will have another disaster...and someone else will needs to do watts right in front of sticks.

As ridiculous as it sounds id consider resting Max. He wont be the difference in this game.

Daniher is the big problem. If he fires up and kicks half decently it will be hard to win. We will see if he has extracted Goddards boot from his khyber pass.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Daniher is the big problem. If he fires up and kicks half decently it will be hard to win. We will see if he has extracted Goddards boot from his khyber pass.

He's due for a game ?

6 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

He's due for a game ?

Head over to bomberblitz for a giggle. Supporters think the only game he’s due for is a run in the Magoos.

• Haha 1

The issue with Gawn is himself. Constantly tapping to outnumbered areas, to opposition players, gets angry and belts it away where the other team swoops for a fast breakaway, flicks over the back without watching who’s there, it’s a real issue and look completely like he’s getting ahead of himself, or just not smart. He’s getting a lot of hit outs but I’ve been really disappointed in Max so far, he needs to be smarter than this. It could be the difference between winning and losing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SFebey said:

The issue with Gawn is himself. Constantly tapping to outnumbered areas, to opposition players, gets angry and belts it away where the other team swoops for a fast breakaway, flicks over the back without watching who’s there, it’s a real issue and look completely like he’s getting ahead of himself, or just not smart. He’s getting a lot of hit outs but I’ve been really disappointed in Max so far, he needs to be smarter than this. It could be the difference between winning and losing.

Gawn’s tap work will improve dramatically with Viney back at the stoppages imo. Not only from a ball-winning perspective but also from a leadership POV.

We need Jack back in the team so so badly.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

Man we better beat these cheats. not for any other reason than I despise them and their arrogant fans

we play hard and we win.  5% off in intensity we lose.

Assume we’ll lose, that way if we win you’ll be excited ? 

if we lose, Demonland will go into full on meltdown I think

Edited by SFebey
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Well Stretch and Nibbler must be bvggered from running round all night ( aimlessly ).They can rest.

Tmac ought to come in if fit

Fritsch...in for Harmes.

I can't see Lewis being ready but i wouldn't mind his Footy head down back running things.

Might wait to see who trains when for actual ins/ outs

Would be great if some part of him was running and not falling over - even if it's his mind.

I have visions of him sitting astride a concreted wheelchair or lazing on a Roman-era feasting bed, gloriously feasting upon grapes served on his premiership medallions, directing his troops into battle, yonder.

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

If yesterday was any indication Ess will try ... emphasis..TRY ...to control the ball. They love dlcking around the back 50 in the effort to maintain this control. 

Here's the opportunity to slice them open. They ..like us... :( ..over use the ball. This might be a day for Jeffy...if he wakes up ? The likes of Milkshake Jeffy...even Tom...if fit and selected should..again.. SHOULD .. get plenty of opportunities to score. Of course our conversion of late sux.

On paper we're better....on grass...who the f knows.

Essendon wilted against a pretty effectual attack. Bucks isn't affraid of the corridor..and that was the G !! 

Etihad is a weird ground. Too easy for us to get list in pockets. The best way to goal is the guts ...or switching back into the corridor...sadly something we seemed to have forgotten how to do.

Danger Will Robinson.

Two elements that will be different from last meeting. I doubt Hairy Lip Joe will have another disaster...and someone else will needs to do watts right in front of sticks.

As ridiculous as it sounds id consider resting Max. He wont be the difference in this game.

Our Melkshakes kick all the goals in the park, our Melk, is better than yours, we could trade him, but you'd have to charge (coz we reverse get paid for trading players, HULLLO Redvers Watts)

1 hour ago, SFebey said:

Assume we’ll lose, that way if we win you’ll be excited ? 

if we lose, Demonland will go into full on meltdown I think

Not as full as the Bomberblitz meltdown will be when we win. 

It hurt barracking for C'wood on Wednesday, but some burdens just have to be borne. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2