• Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview

23 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

0 goals to half time in a Prelim Final. 

Changes must be made. 

Clever changes

Some changers will be made, but not as radical as some want. Next year is the start of our window, you don't make top 4 have the youngest side in the finals and make huge changes.

• Like 1

Lewis is very near the end but I will be amazed if he's not on our list next year.  Hopefully he is pushed out of the best 22 like Bernie was this year.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Some changers will be made, but not as radical as some want. Next year is the start of our window, you don't make top 4 have the youngest side in the finals and make huge changes.

I didn’t say huge changes. I said clever...

On 9/24/2018 at 7:35 AM, jumbo returns said:

A collective of players who just can't handle the heat 

Jones

Lewis

Petracca

Oscar

Frost

I thinks that’s unfair on Oscar and Frost Jumbo.

11 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I didn’t say huge changes. I said clever...

Every club needs to make appropriate changes every year.  Even the premiers.  Hawthorn certainly did throughout their 3 peat.   I think a good argument can be made that Richmond stood still and were ultimately overtaken.

We are a young team with a lot of organic development potential.  We were very significantly younger than our finals opponents.  But organic development won't be enough to take us to the next level, we need to make some significant changes.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Every club needs to make appropriate changes every year.  Even the premiers.  Hawthorn certainly did throughout their 3 peat.   I think a good argument can be made that Richmond stood still and were ultimately overtaken.

We are a young team with a lot of organic development potential.  We were very significantly younger than our finals opponents.  But organic development won't be enough to take us to the next level, we need to make some significant changes.

Yes i agree. Signifcant changes are the clever ones. Not wholesale, but certainly not holding back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

Lewis is very near the end but I will be amazed if he's not on our list next year.  Hopefully he is pushed out of the best 22 like Bernie was this year.

Hopefully he accepts the state of play well and provides some good mentoring down at Casey, rather than some of my fears that he could get cantankerous, angry and counter productive.  When I listen to him talk, he gives the impression of being a pretty smart guy, so I think he will work it out, but you never know.  Bernie's handling of his situation this year was first class, just like his attitude has been ever since he arrived at the club.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 3

I'm a bit concerned on a few fronts.  I don't see where the next crop of developing players are behind Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes and the other 22 year olds we have on the list.  Asides from the quality mature age recruits we have got, I don't see alot else comming through from recient drafts having traded so many to picks for Lever, Melksham and Hibbard.  May or may not be a huge issue I guess as Roos was always of the view that it's difficult to pick which 18 year olds will develop into good players, so perhaps we continue our strategy of picking up mid tear national draft picks and mature age recruits?

Also a bit concerned that changes to the rules to open up the game more may not suit the list that we have developed.

On the plus side, I also see some opportunities for guys like Hunt, J Smith, Hogan, Weid and Spargo to go to another level.  I also wouldn't rule of Taylor and Co to pull a trading/recruiting rabit out of the hat like landing Gaff, Hannerbry, May or something.  Otherwise just looking for more natural progression from the 21 - 24 year olds and for the team to continue to develop in confidence, maturity in critical situations, overall understanding of each other and coheasion.  I'm impatient and hate the preseason wait to see the team improve further.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

32 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I'm a bit concerned on a few fronts.  I don't see where the next crop of developing players are behind Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes and the other 22 year olds we have on the list.  Asides from the quality mature age recruits we have got, I don't see alot else comming through from recient drafts having traded so many to picks for Lever, Melksham and Hibbard.  May or may not be a huge issue I guess as Roos was always of the view that it's difficult to pick which 18 year olds will develop into good players, so perhaps we continue our strategy of picking up mid tear national draft picks and mature age recruits?

Harsh there.  Despite having a restricted draft hand last year we look like we drafted 3 long-term best 22 young players in Spargo, Fritsch and Petty and the jury is out on Baker.  And we brought in Lever.  All under 23.  If we did that year on year we'd be travelling OK.

4 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I thinks that’s unfair on Oscar and Frost Jumbo.

Can't handle the 'heat', BA

Stand up hard, lay a big tackle, marshall some structures, show leadership

Can't wait for the Lever comeback and/landing May (if it's true)

3 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Harsh there.  Despite having a restricted draft hand last year we look like we drafted 3 long-term best 22 young players in Spargo, Fritsch and Petty and the jury is out on Baker.  And we brought in Lever.  All under 23.  If we did that year on year we'd be travelling OK.

Re-read my post Fifty.  I said "apart from the quality mature age recruits" and I'm guessing without checking that Fritsch would fit somewhere around the 22 yo mark, not 18-20.  Agree that Spargo does look like being a quality player comming through which will improve the side, but he is close to the only one I can think of.  Jury is out on both Petty as well as Barker for me in the sense that Petty provides depth and possibly some improvement in years to come in an area we already have a fair bit of depth, with T Mac, O Mac, Hogan, Lever, Frost all able to play key back if required.

I like Tim Smith, but again not sure he provides anything more than depth.  Perhaps Johnson may become a late bloomer, but I'm skeptical, JKH & Bugg are probably gone.  Also like Wagner but he has either stagnanted or gone backwards.  Apart from Stretch who I think is worth persevering with (but again in the 22yo bracket), I don't see what other young mid/utility type players we have comming through.  Kind of hoping that Maynard comes good, so that he can take some more share of the bash and crash load off Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney so they are not  continously punishing their bodies so much.

Goodwin was outcoached big time on Saturday, but then the entire playing group was outplayed as well. Both coach and player's are young and have further development needed before they reach their respective peaks.

However, apart from Clarkson (we had more chance of coming back against West Coast than we do of luring him) there are no coaches out there that i'd have coaching our current list than Goody (unless Roosy wants to come back out of retirement 😋)

Edited by Demon Disciple

19 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I wonder if the 1% of eagles fan who still disapprove of Simpson started the “Is Simpson the right guy?” thread...... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

I wonder if the 1% of eagles fan who still disapprove of Simpson started the “Is Simpson the right guy?” thread...... 

I imagine that at some point during the 2017 season (before we handed them our spot in the finals) they probably did.

Attitudes are directly linked to team performance because the footy world becomes impatient for success.

However, we have so much evidence that patience is a virtue in regarding to appraising coaches.

Even going back to the great Norm Smith. 

His first few years were mediocre particularly when he coached Fitzroy. 

Also, as we know, ratings can't be based on flags.

Look at a lot of the great coaches and they took time to win a flag. 

I was one of many who badly misjudged Goodwin in the first half of the season.

And as we know changing coaches does not bring immediate success, and when you do change coach, it just takes even longer.  

• Like 2

Last year ( 2017) the weagles were unceremoniously dumped out of the finals in week one. From memory they lost by 8-9 goals. A year later they have the flag. Yes the players often make the coach but you still need a good one. As for Goodwin he is ok till he wins a flag then he will be great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Last year ( 2017) the weagles were unceremoniously dumped out of the finals in week one. From memory they lost by 8-9 goals. A year later they have the flag. 

They won their first final against Port with a goal after the siren. They proceeded to get mauled against GWS the next week.

• Like 2