• Latest Podcast: Hawthorn

13 minutes ago, Wolfturdo said:

Apparently.

Strange, isn’t it?

Borderline disrespect.

5 hours ago, Watson11 said:

You can set a goal to do something knowing it is unlikely you will make it.  What actually happened though is that Roos (and Jackson) did a brilliant job in rebuilding the club via the draft for a genuine tilt at premierships.  If finals in 2016 had been the main goal then Roos would have imported way more seasoned talent and traded draft picks, and we'd probably be a basket case today.   

No one has said it was the main goal for 2016. Or that it was finals or bust. That would have been nonsensical. It was however absolutely a target.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

No one has said it was the main goal for 2016. Or that it was finals or bust. That would have been nonsensical. It was however absolutely a target.

Would you be willing to admit it was a stretch goal?

7 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Semantics: the last resort of a man desperate not to concede.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Semantics: the last resort of a man desperate not to concede.

There is nothing to concede.

23 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

What's your opinion on Goodwin now?  Same as previous posts or has it changed?

I'm not a big fan of this thread.  Think it would OK if we changed the title to "Game day tactics" or something similar.

40 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Nothing to concede. I will be first the concede if we ever get our forward line working more efficiently. The Geelong game should have been over at half time, and that goes for many games during the year. The buck stops at the coach and he has had all year to get it right - yet still we are not making the most of our chances. Its cost us a top 4 position and could cost us a grand final. Right now we are playing like the top 2 side we should have been all year. We did all the hard work and didn't capitalise on it. The fact we are even where we are now is because we are actually a very good football side. At the same time of pointing Goodwin's flaws out, it is only fair to acknowledge that he is a big reason we are a very good football side. He has improved our youth and has a playing list that is playing for him. Goodwin is apparently trying to fix our forward line issue this week. I like that he is trying to at least fix it because we will give the flag a shake if he does fix it. But its been an issue all year, I don't know why he has waited so long to attempt to fix it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Watson11 said:

What's your opinion on Goodwin now?  Same as previous posts or has it changed?

I'm not a big fan of this thread.  Think it would OK if we changed the title to "Game day tactics" or something similar.

Feel free to trawl through my posts in the topic. Won't take you long. Very happy that he changed/tweaked the game plan after the appalling Sydney game. Hasn't put a foot wrong since.

1 hour ago, KingDingAling said:

But its been an issue all year, I don't know why he has waited so long to attempt to fix it. 

...and you honestly think he hasn't been working on it all year. Probably since he first walked into the club.

Work in progress 'Ding', that's what the whole thing is...a work in progress.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

The next call he'll be making is to me, if we find ourselves in a tight final. I've felt on the verge of a heart attack so many times as a Melbourne supporter... tonight may be the night! 

• Like 1

Might I add that the poster who started this thread, @Dees2014, has recently started threads speculating about which players we will lose now we are a power side and if we are better than the Tigers of 2017 and Dogs of 2016.

Is there trolling afoot? Or bipolar disorder?

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Might I add that the poster who started this thread, @Dees2014, has recently started threads speculating about which players we will lose now we are a power side and if we are better than the Tigers of 2017 and Dogs of 2016.

can't he be both?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

They are not mutually exclusive.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:37 AM, KingDingAling said:

Nothing to concede. I will be first the concede if we ever get our forward line working more efficiently. The Geelong game should have been over at half time, and that goes for many games during the year. The buck stops at the coach and he has had all year to get it right - yet still we are not making the most of our chances. Its cost us a top 4 position and could cost us a grand final. Right now we are playing like the top 2 side we should have been all year. We did all the hard work and didn't capitalise on it. The fact we are even where we are now is because we are actually a very good football side. At the same time of pointing Goodwin's flaws out, it is only fair to acknowledge that he is a big reason we are a very good football side. He has improved our youth and has a playing list that is playing for him. Goodwin is apparently trying to fix our forward line issue this week. I like that he is trying to at least fix it because we will give the flag a shake if he does fix it. But its been an issue all year, I don't know why he has waited so long to attempt to fix it. 

I don't know why he has waited so long to attempt to fix it. 

Struth.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

The next call he'll be making is to me, if we find ourselves in a tight final. I've felt on the verge of a heart attack so many times as a Melbourne supporter... tonight may be the night! 

Cant see any defibs around the place... Look after yourself Jaded!

12 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

Cant see any defibs around the place... Look after yourself Jaded!

Safest place in the world to arrest. (Sports ground wise)

Officially. I think :)

(Defibs everywhere btw)

Edited by ding
  • Haha 1

Did this thread start in the wake of our previous Hawthorn loss? Not exactly sure but don't care to revisit.

Goodwin, despite the convictions of his naysayers, has now cemented his place as an absolute masterful coach. 

I was always sold - but he's manged to convince me even moreso in the last few weeks. 

Once we reached the business end, he made a few telling tweaks and ditched much of the empty rhetoric.  

Gone is the one week at a time mantra - replaced with an absolute belief in this team achieving anything. 

Gone too are the more extravagant coaching set-ups - exchanged with solid hard football when it counts. 

I tip my hat. And while I'll always acknowledge Roos's contribution, this is Goodwin's  doing through and through. 

• Like 1

Yeah ... I suppose he is going ok.  

And if he helps us win the next two he could even get a contract renewal, perhaps. 

I like Goody. But I like our list more. Tonight it was a great coach coaching a middling list... against a developing coach against a frigging great list...

Goody beat Clarko, no doubt.... But the credit goes to one of best 22s to wear the red and blue. 

Goodwin will win Coach of the Year.

Just watch.

• Like 2