• Latest Podcast: Round 09 vs Carlton

16 minutes ago, DV8 said:

I put it to you that most of our supporters gave up on the players today, well prior to the players turning it up.

8 minutes ago, rufus said:

I did.

I figured that the opposition, who are a proud club with limited talent at the minute, would probably try to physically pressure us and we'd fold.

And I was right. And I knew because I've seen the same thing happen many times before.

I have zero faith in this team. I don't believe that being a successful team is as important to the MFC as it is at most other clubs (important as in we're prepared to do what it takes to make it happen).

This is our weakness, rufus.

Today wasn't about hunger, it was about faith in one another;  we folded under constant harassment by the Hawks, and expectations of failure.  and of the hoodoo the hawks hold over us, as a club

the Hawks love to stand up proud and independent, and they will fight beak and claws, to maintain that strength.

We in our history have continually failed to take any chances off the field.  This has ingrained itself right thru the club over the decades, and so that conservative attitude will take an enormous amount to shift it,,, and tip it over a clifftop.

The players become a part of this attitude and we become conservative on-field.  going into our shells too easily.

We have to begin an "us against the world", backs to the wall attitude, to get fired up when others come attacking us and pressuring us. Instead of thinking here we go again and giving up Via attacking our own players.

This is an off-field culture thing at Melbourne. decades old.  A defeatist thing which we all need to be alert to,,, and to resist when we all feel like berating our players, on-field.

Instead we would be better off turning that negative energy onto our opponents.  I know, I've been there done that as well over the time, and I now have learnt of the damage we do to our own.

----------------------------------------------------

Also just realized, That we all also drink our own bathwater. I realised how I was doing that about our young guns all this past week without even realising I was doing it.

Reading on fox footy about Hogans tap the the top of his opponents head late in the 1st Qtr.  Just a bit arrogant, and maybe that went against us in the 2nd Qtr.  Firing up the hawks who were already pressuring us madly.

We were maybe a bit cocky going to the Qtr time huddle?

Pumping up our chances, by saying we only had to stop Mitchell, and the rest was history our way.  Far from the reality.

• Like 1

This game was always going to be a test of the coaching group.

Interesting to see if they can swallow thier pride and change things up,  and then communicate if effectively to the playing group. 

There needs to be some changes to the plan or we will continue to lose against the better drilled teams. 

1 hour ago, rufus said:

I feel a bit sorry for him TBH. Coming here was a death warrant for his long term coaching adpirations. I think he would have been surprised by how little pride is shown by the playing group and how much work he needs to put in to getting some consistent competitiveness from them.

It would have all been crystal clear to him before xmas with the pre season fiasco.

He's the cox of a boat with Sally Robinson on board.

I am a bit with you Rufus. I think Simon is a really nice good guy who wants to succeed, but he is not growing as a coach, after a 2 year arm chair ride with Roosy. 

I mean who else got that golden ticket?

7 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

Haha "wake up call". In the last 5 games we've lost games we should have won against Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn. 

Every 2nd week is a wake up call you soft [censored]. 

The Pies were last year,,, and the players minds were distracted and we had lost form, after injuries and returning players ahead of schedule.

We played well against the Cats and mucked up with a kick for goal.

The Hawks today, a different kettle.  We didn't handle they're pressure around the ball carrier today.

1 hour ago, Age said:

Hiding to nothing here. I can’t say who my source is but I stand by what I have been told. 

Absolute BS

10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

You can add Hogan to that list as well.

However, it does show that we still have too many players who haven't taken the 'next step' so far this season.  We need them to stand up and be counted.

We have as many players out of form from last year, as we have improved players this year.

So we are in a similar spot IMO.  Early days yet.

3 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Blame doesnt fall on Goody.

It lands on the 8 to 10 players that didnt even try today.

Coach cant make them want to play.

That’s preperation Deever. It does fall on Simon’s head, very much so. 

For mine Matchday preparation has been his weakest link by a long way. 

Posted (edited)

Lot of talk here about being a young inexperienced coach etc ....

Sorry we are a 50 million dollars a year business ..not some middle school science project.

coaches get moved on all the time in soccer and NFL.

No need to get rid of him now but it would be remiss of management not to have a plan to improve this area. Surely he has some KPI's

PS the 50M figure comes from Jeff Kennet who said on 3AW today that is what it costs to run an AFL club when discussing a new club in Tasmania

Edited by Diamond_Jim

48 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

Goody is the right coach for us,he is no Neeld (the clueless). A kick in the guts is probably what we need.

So round 23 last year wasn’t the kick in the guts we needed?

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I am a bit with you Rufus. I think Simon is a really nice good guy who wants to succeed, but he is not growing as a coach, after a 2 year arm chair ride with Roosy. 

I mean who else got that golden ticket?

Good guy? The Gambling Goody or the “bring the good gear” inject me guy? I’m all for forgiveness but the guy has a shady past.

would love to know if it’s true that players are [censored] with what Lever is getting paid? Or truth behind the camp? Or whether he did have an altercation with Hogan on Brownlow night. Truth will come out if any of it true I suppose

• Sad 1

Good grief, just the normal suspects who flip flop with a win/loss

The players were appalling today and took a huge step back

The coaches tried a few things and they didn't work, because of the players

I walked away bitterly disapointed not with loss but the manner of the loss

Hawthorn had 22 then 20 playing as a team? We had maybe 6 tops

Goodwin sends them out wth a plan, it worked first qtr, then the players, not Goodwin decided to fall to bits

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Satyriconhome said:

Goodwin sends them out wth a plan, it worked first qtr, then the players, not Goodwin decided to fall to bits

What did they try...the coaches

1 hour ago, Age said:

Hiding to nothing here. I can’t say who my source is but I stand by what I have been told. 

7 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Absolute BS

Sources at 10 paces boys...

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

That’s preperation Deever. It does fall on Simon’s head, very much so. 

For mine Matchday preparation has been his weakest link by a long way. 

I don't think its prep SWYL, i think it's application, and ability/experience.

Wishing top 4 will not make it a reality.

Only lots of years of hard work put into our main players,,,, will achieve that dream.

We are still putting together our main players, as a group. we still have to get years of experience into them together.  Those magic bean seeds won't be our reality.

We're better off keeping that Cow, for now. and continuing playing a young talents getting more experience into them collectively.

I believe we will make finals this year yet, but it will definately NOT be top 5, for sure.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Saty .. not all players make it at AFL level.... it's the same with coaches .... the only difference is that the coach can do incredible damage to a brand if he fails.

His handling of Watts was amateurish. His communication failure re the camp was abysmal (not interested in whether it was a good or bad idea but his failure to read the players was a gross failure in communication skills.)

His game plan and match day tactics do not match his playing staff.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Age said:

He is not. He has a game plan that I know the players don’t believe in. Look at the last quarter. They have actually given up. 

They absolutely did give up.  It was startling. 

• Like 2

Either Goodwin doesn’t have a clue about game day coaching, or the player revolt beginning with the preseason camp veto is continuing and will destroy both Goodwin and the club.

The next few weeks will be  hard and if they cannot at least break even the season will once again be wasted. 

Come on guys - show us you care and show a bit of pride. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, DV8 said:

This is our weakness, rufus.

Today wasn't about hunger, it was about faith in one another;  we folded under constant harassment by the Hawks, and expectations of failure.  and of the hoodoo the hawks hold over us, as a club

the Hawks love to stand up proud and independent, and they will fight beak and claws, to maintain that strength.

We in our history have continually failed to take any chances off the field.  This has ingrained itself right thru the club over the decades, and so that conservative attitude will take an enormous amount to shift it,,, and tip it over a clifftop.

The players become a part of this attitude and we become conservative on-field.  going into our shells too easily.

We have to begin an "us against the world", backs to the wall attitude, to get fired up when others come attacking us and pressuring us. Instead of thinking here we go again and giving up Via attacking our own players.

This is an off-field culture thing at Melbourne. decades old.  A defeatist thing which we all need to be alert to,,, and to resist when we all feel like berating our players, on-field.

Instead we would be better off turning that negative energy onto our opponents.  I know, I've been there done that as well over the time, and I now have learnt of the damage we do to our own.

----------------------------------------------------

Also just realized, That we all also drink our own bathwater. I realised how I was doing that about our young guns all this past week without even realising I was doing it.

Reading on fox footy about Hogans tap the the top of his opponents head late in the 1st Qtr.  Just a bit arrogant, and maybe that went against us in the 2nd Qtr.  Firing up the hawks who were already pressuring us madly.

We were maybe a bit cocky going to the Qtr time huddle?

Pumping up our chances, by saying we only had to stop Mitchell, and the rest was history our way.  Far from the reality.

It is the case that the MFC fans are a reflection of the players. We fold and give up on the team like the players fold and give up in games.

We are bipolar. Overly happy when things seem good and overly depressed when things seem bad. Look at supporters of clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong and they're not like this. They have a quiet faith.

It's up to each of us to mature as supporters as much as it's up to the club and players before we see real success.

Edited by billyblanks29

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

Either Goodwin doesn’t have a clue about game day coaching, or the player revolt beginning with the preseason camp veto is continuing and will destroy both Goodwin and the club.

The next few weeks will be  hard and if they cannot at least break even the season will once again be wasted. 

Come on guys - show us you care and show a bit of pride. 

You’re right, they did give up and it’s bloody scary.

1 hour ago, Age said:

Source or it's bs. No one cares if you stand or sit.

A lot of people here reacting on emotion after a thrashing. Calling for the coach is waaaay too early. Where was this 'brave' thread after our win last week?

FFS it's R4.

• Like 3

1 goal in 3 quaters of football, some chose to blame the conditions, meanwhile the opposition kicks 15. That is unacceptable, there are no excuses, he should be removed tomorrow morning.

• Angry 1

I find any sort of 'rift' or not a belief in the game plan a little hard to believe.  We've had too many players re-sign with the club in the past 12 months to suggest there is a disconnect between player and coach - if there was then these players who aren't under contract would be trying to get out as quickly as they could.

To me, this game is an anomaly that has highlighted our deficiencies in a very brutal way.  I'm hoping that this has been a HUGE wake up call for all involved and that we wake up tomorrow morning looking for ways to fix the game plan and get our season back on track.  

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Keep calm and carry on. Look at the Dogs two weeks ago vs now. Bombers last week vs. today. Relax we got this.

Edited by billyblanks29
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, billyblanks29 said:

It is the case that the MFC fans are a reflection of the players. We fold and give up on the team like the players fold and give up in games.

We are bipolar. Overly happy when things seem good and overly depressed when things seem bad. Look at supporters of clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong and they're not like this. They have a quiet faith.

It's up to each of us to mature as supporters as much as it's up to the club and players before we see real success.

True bb;  but these players we have now have not been at this club for the past Era's.

WE the supporters are the MAIN Constant over the Era's__  WE carry the continuity of this negative habit in us.

And I think it's OUR challenge as supporters, to leave the negative Vibes directed at our team during games,,, to leave that until the Mid-Week on the Forums.

Lets all take out our pain out on the opposition teams.  And use the negativeness at the opposition team.

And help our team to grow and become strong with as much positive reinforcement as we can muster, on game-days.

Edited by DV8

19 minutes ago, SFebey said:

So round 23

Good guy? The Gambling Goody or the “bring the good gear” inject me guy? I’m all for forgiveness but the guy has a shady past.

would love to know if it’s true that players are [censored] with what Lever is getting paid? Or truth behind the camp? Or whether he did have an altercation with Hogan on Brownlow night. Truth will come out if any of it true I suppose

Not sure about any of that, in fact most is new to me. 

Elaborate....!

16 minutes ago, DV8 said:

I don't think its prep SWYL, i think it's application, and ability/experience.

Wishing top 4 will not make it a reality.

Only lots of years of hard work put into our main players,,,, will achieve that dream.

We are still putting together our main players, as a group. we still have to get years of experience into them together.  Those magic bean seeds won't be our reality.

We're better off keeping that Cow, for now. and continuing playing a young talents getting more experience into them collectively.

I believe we will make finals this year yet, but it will definately NOT be top 5, for sure.

Rubbish. This group is still soft. It’s the Senior Coaches job to eradicate that. 

We will get nowhere near finals on todays performance

Sleep well Goody...