• Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview

Whist I've not always agreed with all of Goodwin's decisions and directions,  neither have I had great reason to say he is not the man.  I also find pleanty of personal attributes to like about him, such as being incredibly hard and determined as a player  (which in turn I think demands respect from the players) and demanding of high standards as a coach.  Listening to him speak at the AFL hall of fame or whatever about the smell of the Sherin and going to bed with it ra, ra, ra spoke to me of his passion and fanaticism for the game.  Despite his demands, the players always talk of the strength of the relationship with Goodie and that we haven't lost a player we wanted to trades, FA etc is evidence of that.

What also gives me reason to keep faith is that Goodwin was hand picked and then mentored for several years under Roos, who retrospectively can only be said was a savior of the team.  Goodwin actually has a better win/loss record at the MFC than Roos.  Yes missing finals last year was a huge disapointment, but we have still clearly progressed from seasons gone.   Most here were encouraged by what we saw preseason but admittedly frustrated with a less than inspiring first four games.  But for me that we have still managed to string a few wins together, whilst not being fully on top of our game was a good sign of maturity.  The Hawthorn game is somewhat of an aboration of Goodwin's time as coach, Richmond we were compeditive for most of the game, without ever really looking in control and at least we have stopped dropping games like the Dockers and North game last season.  Of course there's still much of the season to go, but I just don't see us regressing to an extent that would call the coach into question.

Even if we don't make finals this year, I don't think that nessasrily consitutes something that should see Goodwin under immense scrutiny.  How many seasons did it take Bomber Thompson at Geelong, how many Dimma at the Tigers.  Then the next question for me would be who is actually a better coach going around in the AFL at the moment and who would want to join a club with a track record like ours of sacking coaches  (assuming that we disposed of Goody) - I don't see any obvious coaches other than Clarkson that we could feasibly poach that would give me confidence in doing a better job than Goodwin.

Stay the course with Goodwin, be patient and hopefully we reap the rewards.

• Like 10

On 5/22/2018 at 8:11 PM, rpfc said:

With that said - we looked impotent and uninspired against Hawthorn and Richmond that deserved to fan the flame of doubt with Goodwin. Especially after what the team served up against Collingwood last year.

He is also has problems 'connecting' to fans with his demeanour and behaviour, and that isn't a huge issue but it is human nature to provide excuses and build positive narratives around those we connect to.

I think the likes of Paul Roos are out their on their own with the ability to articulate and comunicate in this was.  I also think at the time, with were the team performance was at, someone with that comunication ability and track record was important to buy the players some space and restore some confidence in the club.  But for where we are now that is less important.

On 5/22/2018 at 8:15 PM, ProDee said:

Did you panic after the early losses ?  It was always going to turn and many posters stated as such, so this isn't revisionism.  I could elaborate why, but I've posted why in this thread, so don't feel the need to do it again.

I like his 'demeanor' and 'behaviour'.

Agreed.  I find him somewhat terse and matter of fact at times, but also very confident and calm, without comming across as rude and arrogant as Maulthouse did at times.  At the end of the day the language the fans like most is that of a winning scoreboard, which tends to make the coaches media performances pretty irrelevant.

• Like 2

Still not convinced on his coaching ability yet. We will learn a thing or 2 come this weekend and the second part of the year.

I give him kudos for changing our playing style, after those games against Hawthorn and Richmond, something had to be done. But let's see how we go against quality opposition. Our wins have come against the Lions, Roos, Bummers, Saints, GC & Blues - not exactly premiership contenders there.

We need to be able to beat decent opposition. Hasn't happened so far this year. Jury is still out.

1 minute ago, Demon Disciple said:

Still not convinced on his coaching ability yet. We will learn a thing or 2 come this weekend and the second part of the year.

I give him kudos for changing our playing style, after those games against Hawthorn and Richmond, something had to be done. But let's see how we go against quality opposition. Our wins have come against the Lions, Roos, Bummers, Saints, GC & Blues - not exactly premiership contenders there.

We need to be able to beat decent opposition. Hasn't happened so far this year. Jury is still out.

North have taken some big scalps, Essendon just beat Geelong, and the Lions rolled Hawthorn at the Gabba in similar circumstances that we prevaled in, so I don't think some of these wins can be fully discounted either.

Like you, I do agree that I want to see us beat some more quality sides like Sydney, Adelaide, West Coast, Richmond, Geelong (who incidently we lost to by less than a goal), Port and the Pies when they are in form.  I do have reasonable confidence that we will knock off a fair portion of these sides in our future encounters with them though - basing this on the fact that we were pretty competitive against all of them in our most recent encounters with them and that there is still further improvement in our side.  Key will be in maintaining the intensity over the whole season and I think that's where bodies and experience our developing players being thay 12 months older should help.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wolfgang219 said:

Still don’t believe he is a good coach.

I am not confident that he has the ability to change his mind during the game and influence the result through his tactics, decisions etc. 

A coach gets judged on their win/loss record although the metric is down to pure luck. Injuries and talent on a list can change the win/loss record dramatically.

A great example is Scott(Geelong) and Dimmi are both premiership coach’s and now seen as having the ultimate tick of endorsement. One was lucky to take over a great side and the other should of been sacked in 2016 but a great injury run and a dominate player and he is know a great coach. 

Goodwin has been given a side full of talent and it will be interesting to see the response of both him and the team when they start getting involved in high pressure games. 

Another baseless post

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Another baseless post

Are you self reporting?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Obviously humor isn't your strongest suit.

Are you the son of Prodee?

21 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Obviously humor isn't your strongest suit.

A trenchant repartee ignoring the obvious irony.

We’ve just had our best month on the footy field since 1964.

My guess is Goody’s doing ok. 

• Like 8

In the past even under Roos we would have dropped one or two of those so called four easy games. Not now and this tells me Goody and players all on the same page.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

The Tigers were found out by the Eagles and they may well have provided everyone with the blueprint on how to beat them. It can only be good for the Dees.

We stretched the Tiges earlier on before falling into the murky swamp waters of the second half of the game. We had a moral win over Hawthorn but for the misfortune of Gawn's ball-dropping action - that he wore manfully in succeeding matches of this season. I woud like to play those two teams once again in our current form and settling disciplines. Top 4, for mine, and at least the semi-finals. It is the same for Geelong where we scrambled before the early siren sounding to end the game less than 6 points down. Five more minutes and the Cats would have been dead in the water.

Edited by Deemania since 56

22 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Bit hard to go 16:7 or 17:6 in the regular season when we only play 22 games

However, it would be nice ...

9 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

North have taken some big scalps, Essendon just beat Geelong, and the Lions rolled Hawthorn at the Gabba in similar circumstances that we prevaled in, so I don't think some of these wins can be fully discounted either.

Like you, I do agree that I want to see us beat some more quality sides like Sydney, Adelaide, West Coast, Richmond, Geelong (who incidently we lost to by less than a goal), Port and the Pies when they are in form.  I do have reasonable confidence that we will knock off a fair portion of these sides in our future encounters with them though - basing this on the fact that we were pretty competitive against all of them in our most recent encounters with them and that there is still further improvement in our side.  Key will be in maintaining the intensity over the whole season and I think that's where bodies and experience our developing players being thay 12 months older should help.

Seems the Comp is even and a win is a win. As said two weeks ago bombers looked done then they come out and [censored] the cats. 

This season is the build up for next year. If we make the 8 great. Goodwin is being to rise to the top of the glass

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

We stretched the Tiges earlier on before falling into the murky swamp waters of the second half of the game. We had a moral win over Hawthorn but for the misfortune of Gawn's ball-dropping action - that he wore manfully in succeeding matches of this season. I woud like to play those two teams once again in our current form and settling disciplines. Top 4, for mine, and at least the semi-finals.

We also played a near top strength Tigers without Viney and T Mac.  Take one of Dusry or Cotchin and one of Rance or Reiwolt out of their side and it would make a huge impact and probably have tipped the result in our favour.  My recallection was that the period of the Tigers game that Cotchin spent on the bench recovering from an injury scare in the 3rd quarter was when we started to get back into the game.  As much as coaches always play down the impact of star players when they are missing, there is no doubt that having them on the park makes a huge difference.  T Mac has been our best, most consistent key position player for a number of years and his importance to our team has only grown with his sensational reinvention as a forward/utility.  Whatever we paid Lever to come across, T Mac should be paid 150% to get him locked away - so important to our side.

I'm not completely confident that we will make top 4 or even finals for that matter at this point, it's a long season and a long way to go.  But I think the team is capable of both, I think we are more than capable of beating any team in the comp and some of the credit has to go to Goodwin for that.  People probably remember that Roos stiffened us up defensively, but possibly forget how much he stymied of attack.  Goodwin cerainly has us playing a hard, more attacking style of footbal and I think deserves fair credit for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

We also played a near top strength Tigers without Viney and T Mac.  Take one of Dusry or Cotchin and one of Rance or Reiwolt out of their side and it would make a huge impact and probably have tipped the result in our favour.  My recallection was that the period of the Tigers game that Cotchin spent on the bench recovering from an injury scare in the 3rd quarter was when we started to get back into the game.  As much as coaches always play down the impact of star players when they are missing, there is no doubt that having them on the park makes a huge difference.  T Mac has been our best, most consistent key position player for a number of years and his importance to our team has only grown with his sensational reinvention as a forward/utility.  Whatever we paid Lever to come across, T Mac should be paid 150% to get him locked away - so important to our side.

I'm not completely confident that we will make top 4 or even finals for that matter at this point, it's a long season and a long way to go.  But I think the team is capable of both, I think we are more than capable of beating any team in the comp and some of the credit has to go to Goodwin for that.  People probably remember that Roos stiffened us up defensively, but possibly forget how much he stymied of attack.  Goodwin cerainly has us playing a hard, more attacking style of footbal and I think deserves fair credit for that.

Nicely posited opinion and faith, R(B)G.

The next 4 weeks will tell us what we need to know. 

I was impressed that in the last 2 weeks we did go in for the kill. That is a September attitude that Whorethorn have always expected

we must do the same...

• Like 2

Despite all the praise of the past week, it pretty much goes without saying that if we loose today or are even mediocre in victory, that Goodwin's head will be back on the chopping block as far as Demonland is concerned.

Come on boys #doitforGoody

On 5/24/2018 at 8:56 AM, PaulRB said:

We’ve just had our best month on the footy field since 1964.

My guess is Goody’s doing ok. 

Ok so we should definitely sack the coach - hahaha

It depends what is served up @Rodney (Balls) Grinter

Thankfully these days effort usually isn't our issue if we lose. The analysis usually comes down to communication breakdowns on field or strategic bungles of we do lose. These can be fixed now easily than a cultural rot when blokes just don't give a toss (pre Roos).

@DaveyDee are you familiar with the term 'linement sniffer'?

• Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 10:53 PM, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Goodwin actually has a better win/loss record at the MFC than Roos.  Yes missing finals last year was a huge disapointment, but we have still clearly progressed from seasons gone. 

you couldn't cherry pick a more misleading stat than that. how sh1te would we be if that wasn't the case ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bay Riffin said:

you couldn't cherry pick a more misleading stat than that. how sh1te would we be if that wasn't the case ?

Quite true in a sene and certainly not comparing apples with apples.  However it's also true that Goodwin's worst year is better than Roo's best.

The bottom line is that we have continued to improve.  Pehaps not as fast as we might have liked, but still moving forward.

No doubt about it - this bloke Goody has to sacked - soon there will be nothing left for some to complain about. 

• Like 1