Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

We are now in year 5 of a rebuild started under Roos.

Most clubs would be demanding clear signs of success by now ....

If the club wasn't an absolute basket case of mammoth proportions prior to Roos taking over then I'd agree with you.

However, we were coming from so far back when Roos took over it was almost laughable.  We still have tremendous work ahead, but finals are still well and truly in our calculations for season 2018.  One loss won't define our year.

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dees2014 said:

Today’s performance was the most insipid since Neeld. For such a talented side it was inexcusable. Everything should now be questioned. 

Yep Not up to it would love Roosy back even ....... John Northey!!

Talks the talk but cannot walk any walk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

We are now in year 5 of a rebuild started under Roos.

Most clubs would be demanding clear signs of success by now ....

Year 12 of the bailey rebuild...

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Today’s performance was the most insipid since Neeld. For such a talented side it was inexcusable. Everything should now be questioned. 

Yes, Goody is the right guy, for now.

 

Was Buckley the right guy at the pies 2 weeks back?

 

This issue isn't the coach, its the club's.

 

It's our game-day culture (club culture) that is intolerant, unforgiving and hostile to our own players, when the Heat is applied to us.

This undermines our players who are still under fire from the opposition applying relentless pressure to our ball carrier.

 

No club could withstand this (fire of hades), just as our new recruits mature or young, wilt under the same inside pressure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Brendan Bolton or Allan Richardson anyone?

No, thanks chookf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodwin is a junior coach, he's made mistakes and he will make more.

The trick is to learn from them...will he?

What's the plan do we dump him now and classify him as Neeld mark 2?

To date I don't think he's lost the players but he will need to sort selection out.

If he truly believes in playing in form players (Casey practice games), no favourites (lol) and players that have performed well on the track over best 22 then he needs to wake up.

No experienced coach believes that guff...

He does play favourites, all coaches do. Unfortunately Melcham is a mate, this doesn't go down well.

You play your best 22 and then if someone is badly out of form you work to get them back into form...through Casey or other means.

I think we stay with him and see where this year leads us...remember the Tiges got flogged by Adelaide early last season (the save Richmond mob or whatever they were in heaven after that) and things worked out in the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel a bit sorry for him TBH. Coming here was a death warrant for his long term coaching adpirations. I think he would have been surprised by how little pride is shown by the playing group and how much work he needs to put in to getting some consistent competitiveness from them.

It would have all been crystal clear to him before xmas with the pre season fiasco.

He's the cox of a boat with Sally Robinson on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

I assume you have verifiable inside intel that proves this? Otherwise it's bs

Hiding to nothing here. I can’t say who my source is but I stand by what I have been told. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I suggest that not one nuffie who has posted on this thread knows whether Goodwin can coach. or not.

That said, his team is a reflection of him and it was a bad day in the office.  If it was dry I reckon the Dees win.  Their wet weather footy was pathetic.  And how that ****  Bugg gets a game is beyond me.  I have an unhealthy hate for that ****.  While I'm at it, Harmes, Melksham and a few others can you know what.

I also recognise that every coach in history has had nuffies call for their head.  Early days Clarkson had it, Bomber Thompson had it, and virtually his entire coaching career Hardwicke has had it. It comes with the territory.    

Nuffies are going to nuff.

In 26 games he's had more wins than losses, so I'll cut a young coach some slack in round 4.

The loss to Collingwood in the last round with no tackles inside the first 15m of the first quarter tells me that Goodwin can't coach. Today confirmed it. Same issue as against geelong. Free for all scoring once they got it inside 50. No leadership anywhere

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we were past these types of days...

Inspired teams don't perform like that, and if they do, then they react the very next week.

I thought we were destined for finals but after today - I don't know - and that will be the true measure of Goodwin: results.

By the way - can we all agree that our next tier of players are way down on form (or not good enough)? ANB averaged 20m of forward territory a kick... (Brayshaw 40m, Salem 39m) Harmes was terrible. Melksham again. Bugg gets to spots you wish someone else was in...

Next week is a big test of this team and how they see themselves in this league.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Age said:

Hiding to nothing here. I can’t say who my source is but I stand by what I have been told. 

Do you have an axe to grind 'Age' ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Yes, Goody is the right guy, for now.

 

Was Buckley the right guy at the pies 2 weeks back?

 

This issue isn't the coach, its the club's.

 

It's our game-day culture (club culture) that is intolerant, unforgiving and hostile to our own players, when the Heat is applied to us.

This undermines our players who are still under fire from the opposition applying relentless pressure to our ball carrier.

 

No club could withstand this (fire of hades), just as our new recruits mature or young, wilt under the same inside pressure.

I'm sure your post made sense (& spacing) at the time. I do like your "fire of Hades" reference though. Other than that, gibberish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Age said:

He is not. He has a game plan that I know the players don’t believe in. Look at the last quarter. They have actually given up. 

Giving up like they did in the last qtr is an indictment on the players and a disgraceful way to treat the supporters.

It's a simple matter of pride and the players have once again shown they have very little pride in the club.

Embarrassing day for club. More so for the players than for Goodwin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goody is the right coach for us,he is no Neeld (the clueless). A kick in the guts is probably what we need.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, maximum bob said:

I'm sure your post made sense (& spacing) at the time. I do like your "fire of Hades" reference though. Other than that, gibberish.

It's not gibberish mb, its the truth, and its been happening for generations, under these same circumstances. front running.

When we are down and being humiliated, we attack ourselves.

The effect is, it makes things worse.

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nup very poor match day, not to mention his shocking Hit and Miss selections!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rufus said:

Giving up like they did in the last qtr is an indictment on the players and a disgraceful way to treat the supporters.

It's a simple matter of pride and the players have once again shown they have very little pride in the club.

Embarrassing day for club. More so for the players than for Goodwin.

I put it to you that most of our supporters gave up on the players today, well prior to the players turning it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DV8 said:

I put it to you that most of our supporters gave up on the players today, well prior to the players turning it up.

I did. I figured that the opposition, who are a proud club with limited talent at the minute, would probably try to physically pressure us and we'd fold. And I was right. And I knew because I've seen the same thing happen many times before.

I have zero faith in this team. I don't believe that being a successful team is as important to the MFC as it is at most other clubs (important as in we're prepared to do what it takes to make it happen).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20% of the season already gone and not one player (other than perhaps Trac and OMac) has improved. 

Defensively awful and  forward line inefficient and dysfunctional.....

However,  the test will be whether he can learn and improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he the right guy. I have my reservations but he is only in his second season. The last game debacle last year where he couldn't motivate the team to win a place in the finals worried us all. The lapses in at least 1 quarter of a game are a concern and certainly on match days the tactician coaches  such as Clarkson and Scott show him up. Is he a good coach? I don't think any of us know the answer but he certainly has his limitations but some of the most successful coaches started that way. There is no question he and his entire coaching staff have a promising list with lots of talent. Has he instilled a toughness? No has he developed a group of on field generals? Not yet. Do we tackle and bully other teams? No Does he get the best out of the players and develop them I am not seeing this yet.

The playing group still appear fragile under pressure. We have no confidence that MFC can play 4 quarters of hard , contested, finals style footy. Until we can mix it with the likes of the Swans, Hawks and Cats these lingering questions will remain about Goodwin.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Watching from the stands. I believe Goodwin’s game plan is shikes! This has been my opinion for the last 27 Rounds.

It doesn’t stand up to regular season nor will it finals...

If I was a player for the MFC I would be saying what the heck! I understand completely if they don’t buy into it. I don’t! I believe Goodwin is out coached most days. 

Some players are falling off because of the insipid game plan I believe. The buy in isn’t there from all.

The leadership group needs to be honest with the coach and say how it is...

The players are playing there guts out. Most anyway! We had 1 less inside 50 today for 67 point loss! Wow!

I am not looking forward to the Tiggers next week! We are looking at another hiding if Goodwin doesn’t change the structure/game plan. The Tigers will obliterate us the way they and we play. Complete opposites.

I feel for the players... especially Jones and Vince.

And by the way! Clarkson is a master coach. Amazing what he gets out of his list. He is the type of coach we need. Full stop!  He is hard man with a hard head (edge)!

He would be a bigger signing than all the free agents combined if we could snag him... 

Dare I say it. But if the Dees are out finals contention by Round 21. Clarkson needs to be got... I believe he is out of contract at seasons end. I can’t see him leaving the Hawks though.

Edited by Dee tention
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Is he the right guy. I have my reservations but he is only in his second season. The last game debacle last year where he couldn't motivate the team to win a place in the finals worried us all. The lapses in at least 1 quarter of a game are a concern and certainly on match days the tactician coaches  such as Clarkson and Scott show him up. Is he a good coach? I don't think any of us know the answer but he certainly has his limitations but some of the most successful coaches started that way. There is no question he and his entire coaching staff have a promising list with lots of talent. Has he instilled a toughness? No has he developed a group of on field generals? Not yet. Do we tackle and bully other teams? No Does he get the best out of the players and develop them I am not seeing this yet.

The playing group still appear fragile under pressure. We have no confidence that MFC can play 4 quarters of hard , contested, finals style footy. Until we can mix it with the likes of the Swans, Hawks and Cats these lingering questions will remain about Goodwin.

3rd in effect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodwin can't get out there on game day and apply pressure, tackle and hit a target. He can instil these things during the week and provide direction and instruction for particular situations but he can't put on a jumper and get out there and BLOODY DO IT HIMSELF!

There is a clear lack of on field direction and leadership - this is especially evident and gets exposed when there is a run on against us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Canplay said:

20% of the season already gone and not one player (other than perhaps Trac and OMac) has improved. 

Defensively awful and  forward line inefficient and dysfunctional.....

However,  the test will be whether he can learn and improve.

You can add Hogan to that list as well.

However, it does show that we still have too many players who haven't taken the 'next step' so far this season.  We need them to stand up and be counted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×