• Latest Podcast: Round 09 vs Carlton

He just comes across as so damned uninspiring 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProDee said:

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I suggest that not one nuffie who has posted on this thread knows whether Goodwin can coach. or not.

That said, his team is a reflection of him and it was a bad day in the office.  If it was dry I reckon the Dees win.  Their wet weather footy was pathetic.  And how that ****  Bugg gets a game is beyond me.  I have an unhealthy hate for that ****.  While I'm at it, Harmes, Melksham and a few others can you know what.

I also recognise that every coach in history has had nuffies call for their head.  Early days Clarkson had it, Bomber Thompson had it, and virtually his entire coaching career Hardwicke has had it. It comes with the territory.    

Nuffies are going to nuff.

In 26 games he's had more wins than losses, so I'll cut a young coach some slack in round 4.

Hardwick had 8 or so years in which he made the finals once or twice.... If that is your measure of success MFC will be well and truly needing life support by then.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I suggest that not one nuffie who has posted on this thread knows whether Goodwin can coach. or not.

That said, his team is a reflection of him and it was a bad day in the office.  If it was dry I reckon the Dees win.  Their wet weather footy was pathetic.  And how that ****  Bugg gets a game is beyond me.  I have an unhealthy hate for that ****.  While I'm at it, Harmes, Melksham and a few others can you know what.

I also recognise that every coach in history has had nuffies call for their head.  Early days Clarkson had it, Bomber Thompson had it, and virtually his entire coaching career Hardwicke has had it. It comes with the territory.    

Nuffies are going to nuff.

In 26 games he's had more wins than losses, so I'll cut a young coach some slack in round 4.

I understand your point, but does the game plan concern you? Do you think we are getting the most out of our players? Do you think team selection has been poor? 

Maybe Goodwin can coach, but I’m struggling to see it. I genuinely hope I am wrong. I want nothing more than for him to win us a flag!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hardwick had 8 or so years in which he made the finals once or twice.... If that is your measure of success MFC will be well and truly needing life support by then.

Nuffie no.1.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Yep. The membership or sponsors won’t grow with insipid garbage like today

1 hour ago, Gipsy Danger said:

The last shot of him, on tv, in box with a couple of minutes to go, I swear he was just looking on his phone

seek.com no doubt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ProDee said:

Nuffie no.1.

You seem a most dismissive sort

What's your metric then ?

10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Sorry Wise, no offence,

None taken, especially after our performance today.  I get why this question is being asked.  We as supporters are well within our rights to expect better of the club at this point in time.  Nobody, even those who thought the Hawks would win, would have predicted this outcome today.  To get rolled by 10 goals is embarrassing to say the least.

As ProDee mentioned above, Goodwin has still won more games than he's lost as a senior coach and that's telling.  It's just his second year in charge of the side and I think he still deserves more time, even though we as Melbourne supporters have given enough time in the last decade.

At this point in time I still think he's the man for the job, but he's got some serious work ahead of him.

• Like 1

Sack him now...

Don't be a Collingwood.

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

I understand your point, but does the game plan concern you? Do you think we are getting the most out of our players? Do you think team selection has been poor? 

Maybe Goodwin can coach, but I’m struggling to see it. I genuinely hope I am wrong. I want nothing more than for him to win us a flag!

Seeing I hate that **** Bugg I'm not overly rapt.

We looked slow, so I'd have Hannan and Hunt in and that **** Bugg and some other fumbler out.

It wasn't a day for talls, so I'm not concerned by Weideman being held off.

• Like 1

As has been often reported and noted here, he gets on well with players and staff. Fair call. But is he an effective match-day coach? On the evidence at hand, clearly not. Either he doesn't take advice, turns a deaf ear to it or has poor support. My worry is that Goodwin is almost manic about being an AFL coach. It's all about him proving himself to himself given his chequered background.

1 hour ago, Dees2014 said:

For such a talented side

That's where your problems start straight away.

Stop kidding yourself.

Potential talent, maybe, but talented? Not yet, and not by a long way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

always playing the man mate... get a life

You're singling out Goodwin and I'm singling out a nuffie.

I see no difference.

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

None taken, especially after our performance today.  I get why this question is being asked.  We as supporters are well within our rights to expect better of the club at this point in time.  Nobody, even those who thought the Hawks would win, would have predicted this outcome today.  To get rolled by 10 goals is embarrassing to say the least.

As ProDee mentioned above, Goodwin has still won more games than he's lost as a senior coach and that's telling.  It's just his second year in charge of the side and I think he still deserves more time, even though we as Melbourne supporters have given enough time in the last decade.

At this point in time I still think he's the man for the job, but he's got some serious work ahead of him.

What worries me the most, is that we all knew it was going to be a cold wet windy day, so there is no excuse to be so outplayed. 

To kick the first 3-4 and then give up is not on. 

If this was 2016 i would agree with your above post, but we are now 2 years forward of that, for no gains. 

If we are to play September, it’s the scum Whorethorns we have to kill. 

They have killed us so many times since i was in Primary School, so many times. 

I have now retired from work after a 31 year stint, and the Fabric of this club HAS NOT CHANGED....

It’s why we never get a good run on TV

we can never be trusted. 

Bartlett has a big week ahead of him

2 minutes ago, ProDee said:

You're singling out Goodwin and I'm singling out a nuffie.

I see no difference.

You often predicate your comments by direct attack upon fellow posters.... the subject matter is Goodwin

Sorry I have no wish to discuss it further with you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bing181 said:

That's where your problems start straight away.

Stop kidding yourself.

Potential talent, maybe, but talented? Not yet, and not by a long way.

Correct. They have achieved nothing

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

You often predicate your comments by direct attack upon fellow posters.... the subject matter is Goodwin

Sorry I have no wish to discuss it further with you.

You're attacking Goodwin and I'm referencing a nuffie.

I see no difference.

I have no wish to discuss it further with you.

7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Do you think we are getting the most out of our players?

Yes.

That's about as good as many of them are at this stage. You can't build a team around players in the 30 - 60 game range and expect them to perform every single week, nor all perform together every week. Even Gawn has only 78 games.

Not one of our key position players or key mids has more than 100 games. Meanwhile ... Roughhead: 257 games. We lack consistency and we lack composure, especially with our on-ballers and KP players, which is characteristic of a lack of experience (you can perform well, but not under all circumstances or regularly).

• Like 1

Last year I thought Goody made moves, threw things around and tried to win games,  now I have no confidence in what he is doing. The game plan seems exactly the same as last year but teams have worked it out, first quarter Hogan is dominating, next quarter he is stuck in the goal square. 

He sat Max on the bench for a ridiculously long time as the momentum swung to the Hawks. 

Did not rectify the inability of our players adapting to the wet. 

Oir back line has declined majorly, constant selecting of players who can’t kick simple goals.

Over handballing and handballs that go one meter and just put that player under the pressure. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

He was badly out coached today. Players looked confused. Every game this year, I have said in the game day thread that I question his coaching ability.

I'm concerned, I don't think we're in trouble yet. But I'm not convinced, and we're still yet to turn the corner, year 5 into the Roos rebuild.

Some perspective: Richmond were 5-3 last year including an 80 point loss to Adelaide. So that is food for thought. 

That said there were some really concerning signs today. Yes we have talent. But we are not a very good team, we're still average at best. We can't even really pump sides. We never put the foot to the throat.

Hawthorn gave us a football lesson today, and Clarkson gave Goodwin an absolute towelling. It's either indicative of where we're at as a team, or it's an anomaly. Given Goodwin's coaching performance, I think the former is more likely. The unfortunate thing is that just as we enter into the premiership window, we find ourselves with a coach still finding his feet. I'm far from convinced we'll play finals this year.

• Like 1

Gee wiz, it wasn't long ago that the simpletons were asking Paul Roos to exit one year early, because we couldn't wait for Goody to get in quick enough.

Who were the wise heads around him that decided on getting Jordan; selling the farm for Lever in a super-draft; letting Jack Viney decide to get back after leaving theatre.  Who were the wise heads around him that thought no medicos at camp one was a great idea.  These are the decisions that will kill us, rather than what tricks Goody can come up with on match day.

• Like 1

Very worrying , worrying times .

looking completely rudderless . 

Hope Baldrick has a cunning plan in mind going forward ! It looks completely inept from where I’m sitting on the couch  !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are now in year 5 of a rebuild started under Roos.

Most clubs would be demanding clear signs of success by now ....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, praha said:

He was badly out coached today. Players looked confused. Every game this year, I have said in the game day thread that I question his coaching ability.

I'm concerned, I don't think we're in trouble yet. But I'm not convinced, and we're still yet to turn the corner, year 5 into the Roos rebuild.

Some perspective: Richmond were 5-3 last year including an 80 point loss to Adelaide. So that is food for thought. 

That said there were some really concerning signs today. Yes we have talent. But we are not a very good team, we're still average at best. We can't even really pump sides. We never put the foot to the throat.

Hawthorn gave us a football lesson today, and Clarkson gave Goodwin an absolute towelling. It's either indicative of where we're at as a team, or it's an anomaly. Given Goodwin's coaching performance, I think the former is more likely. The unfortunate thing is that just as we enter into the premiership window, we find ourselves with a coach still finding his feet. I'm far from convinced we'll play finals this year.

What Premiership Window?

that only occurs with hard work