• Latest Podcast: Peter Jackson Interview

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

No, I agree in one sense of course every season you don't play finals is a fail.

But in the context of assessing Goodwin's debut season as a coach, considering what he had to work with you could argue that looking at it in such black and white terms when we missed out on a "pass" by 0.5% and wiping the whole season of as a "fail" is pretty dogmatic.

Goodwin had a lot to work with

The players and the coaches didn’t prepare well enough. 

It’s all been said. 

Losing to Nought twice??

the bar must be raised. It was a Fail

just get better

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Goodwin had a lot to work with

The players and the coaches didn’t prepare well enough. 

It’s all been said. 

Losing to Nought twice??

the bar must be raised. It was a Fail

just get better

Dogmatic

12 hours ago, praha said:

When was the last time we won 4 in a row? More than a decade

Not Goodwin's fault, but we just can't seem to break through the barrier.

Last year.  You know, Goodwin's rookie year.

We beat Gold Coast in round 10.  

We had the bye in round 11.

We beat Collingwood in round 12.

We beat Footscray in round 13.

We beat West Coast in round 14.

That's 4 in a row.  

We also did the double road trip with wins over West Coast and Adelaide.

We broke the Saints hoodoo.

We broke the Etihad hoodoo with wins over Essendon, Footscray, and of course St Kilda.

But I mainly posted to show you we did in fact win 4 games in a row.

I have some tasty humble pie for you.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 15/04/2018 at 7:00 PM, Queanbeyan Demon said:

blar, blar, blar . . .

I remember the same being said of Clarkson, Thompson, Hardwick, Williams and even of Jeans. 12 flags between them at last count. This thread is a pretty typical supporter thread after a bad loss. Knee jerk reactions and little perspective. 

There's a good chance we'll come out and seriously touch-up Punt Road on Tuesday week and the narrative will turn around 180 degrees. Such is human nature and the lot of being a Melbourne supporter. 

Mmmm, even Richmond at their darkest time for hardwick were not beaten by 10 goals. This is the first time since Roos took over that we have come anywhere near this. Roos said the first thing to restore is consistent competitiveness. Last week threw all this out the window. 

Up up until now our young list has remained very loyal clearly thinking a flag is in the offing in the next couple of years. How many more of these sorts of performances will prompt a gradual walkout.

The reaction so far from the club is one of non-concern. It is all very well to remain loyal, but there also seems to be an arrogant attitude which says everything is fine. Well it is not. I just hope internally in the club alarm bells are ringing. 

They should be... !!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ProDee said:

Last year.  You know, Goodwin's rookie year.

We beat Gold Coast in round 10.  

We had the bye in round 11.

We beat Collingwood in round 12.

We beat Footscray in round 13.

We beat West Coast in round 14.

That's 4 in a row.  

We also did the double road trip with wins over West Coast and Adelaide.

We broke the Saints hoodoo.

We broke the Etihad hoodoo with wins over Essendon, Footscray, and of course St Kilda.

But I mainly posted to show you we did in fact win 4 games in a row.

I have some tasty humble pie for you.

And still missed September action

Hard to believe, yes....But true

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

And still missed September action

Hard to believe, yes....But true

The koolaid has been flowing this week.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

Mmmm, even Richmond at their darkest time for hardwick were not beaten by 10 goals. This is the first time since Roos took over that we have come anywhere near this. Roos said the first thing to restore is consistent competitiveness. Last week threw all this out the window.

Hahahaha

Richmond in Hardwick's "darkest time were not beaten by 10 goals" ?

Hahahaha

And do you remember Roos last game ?

Hahahaha

You're funny. 

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Harsh.

Notwithstanding a shocking run  injuries we just missed out from finals.

We played the13th placed team on our home deck for a spot in the finals and lost shockingly. We didn't lay a tackle in the first 15m of the game. And you think we didn't fail as a club?

That was a fail with a capital F. Mentally weak and a repeat of what we have seen for a decade. 

Glad you were happy with it. I'm not.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Danelska said:

The coach is NOT there to motivate... I'll do a Terry Wallace and SPEW over my own little computer screen if I see that again...

Wow. 

• Haha 2
  • Angry 1

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Playing Finals. Why would it be anything else?

have people on here forgotten what September means??

Pretty much. Sorry Swyl but be gentle with us. It hasnt been easy.

18 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

We played the13th placed team on our home deck for a spot in the finals and lost shockingly. We didn't lay a tackle in the first 15m of the game. And you think we didn't fail as a club?

That was a fail with a capital F. Mentally weak and a repeat of what we have seen for a decade. 

Glad you were happy with it. I'm not.

Of course I wasnt.

As a season last year I thought it was a pass given how much we improved.

As you well know with this club you take positives where you can.

The real challenge is will we have more wins this year.

Not confident and as much as last weeks game rattled me..... Its too early to pull the curtain over Goody imho.

I sincerely hope we beat the Tigers this week, for no other reason than for all the depressives on here to have to eat humble pie. If we win I hope they have the good sense to keep their drivel to themselves for at least the next week. 

I've never witnessed such misery in my life and all off the back of 3 poor quarters of footy! Reading this site you'd think we'd lost by 148 points last week 

3 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Of course I wasnt.

As a season last year I thought it was a pass given how much we improved.

As you well know with this club you take positives where you can.

The real challenge is will we have more wins this year.

Not confident and as much as last weeks game rattled me..... Its too early to pull the curtain over Goody imho.

I cannot fathom how you can classify 2017 as a pass.

Is improvement and a pass mark mutually exclusive?

If you get 10% on a test and 15% on the next test, you've improved, but you still failed.

Finals has been a KPI since the 2016 season. It was a "Yeah it would be good" KPI in 2016. It was a clear objective for 2017.

It was a colossal failure the way we missed out. It was a huge choke. That first quarter was awe-inspiring in its mediocrity. Most important game in a decade and it took us 15 minutes to lay a tackle. 

I hate to say it but if you classify that as a pass mark, that makes you complicit in the club's soft culture. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I sincerely hope we beat the Tigers this week, for no other reason than for all the depressives on here to have to eat humble pie. If we win I hope they have the good sense to keep their drivel to themselves for at least the next week. 

I've never witnessed such misery in my life and all off the back of 3 poor quarters of footy! Reading this site you'd think we'd lost by 148 points last week 

We may as well have. That performance was 186-esque. It was 17 goals to 1 in wet and windy conditions. 

Just now, praha said:

If you get 10% on a test and 15% on the next test, you've improved, but you still failed.

Finals has been a KPI since the 2016 season. It was a "Yeah it would be good" KPI in 2016. It was a clear objective for 2017.

It was a colossal failure the way we missed out. It was a huge choke. That first quarter was awe-inspiring in its mediocrity. Most important game in a decade and it took us 15 minutes to lay a tackle. 

I hate to say it but if you classify that as a pass mark, that makes you complicit in the club's soft culture. 

Conversely if you keep bringing up past failures to wallow in misery it makes you complicit in the clubs culture of negativity and inability to focus on the next challenge and believe in a better future.

2 minutes ago, praha said:

We may as well have. That performance was 186-esque. It was 17 goals to 1 in wet and windy conditions. 

Oh please it was a bad game but to compare it to those previous efforts is ridiculous

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Conversely if you keep bringing up past failures to wallow in misery it makes you complicit in the clubs culture of negativity and inability to focus on the next challenge and believe in a better future.

Because that has helped us so much in the past.....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You mean like how Goodwin ignored ackowledging North's record against us, and losing to them twice, but then once it was widely acknowledged by coach and players alike, we finally break through and beat them?

Using failures to motivate is not uncommon. Why wouldn't you use the Collingwood game as motivation to prove a point to the football community?

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh please it was a bad game but to compare it to those previous efforts is ridiculous

I agree. The Geelong game was a revolt. The Essendon game, we just had a terrible team.

Does that make last week's excuse that we're just lazy and soft? 

Edited by praha
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Be were Melbourne and last week was another of a long list of examples of poor culture. Either were not good,  Goody has no idea or the players dont give a s..t.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Be were Melbourne and last week was another of a long list of examples of poor culture. Either were not good,  Goody has no idea or the players dont give a s..t.

A 7 goal last qtr from the Hawks was disgraceful from our players. Either gave up or coach had no answers.

Hawks are currently 18pts against the Roos 75 pts. Makes me feel so much better....

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

I think B and C are most likely here, which flows into to make a product of A.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dees2014 said:

Up up until now our young list has remained very loyal clearly thinking a flag is in the offing in the next couple of years. How many more of these sorts of performances will prompt a gradual walkout.

The reaction so far from the club is one of non-concern. It is all very well to remain loyal, but there also seems to be an arrogant attitude which says everything is fine. Well it is not. I just hope internally in the club alarm bells are ringing. 

They should be... !!!

They won't want to hear that 2014

Edited by beelzebub

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, praha said:

You've got the nerve to show your head without addressing your "no 4 wins in row in a decade comment" ?

Poor form.

That said, I expect no less.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

A 7 goal last qtr from the Hawks was disgraceful from our players. Either gave up or coach had no answers.

Hawks are currently 18pts against the Roos 75 pts. Makes me feel so much better....

We beat North.  North beats the Hawks.  The Hawks beat us.  It's the Bermuda Triangle.

• Like 1