• Latest Podcast: Hawthorn

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

Farrk. You are kidding me. Wake up call. That's all. For God's sake, get a grip you lot

Not really. The wake up call was playing Norf in inclement conditions....and not learning.

Alarm bells were playing Manuka in a fashion every informed punter knew how not to.

What we might have heard today was 'last drinks ' 

Edited by beelzebub

I've been thinking the same thing for a while, but have decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, yet again today I saw the same old flaws in the game plan and a complete inability to fix them.

Quite frankly I hate seeing 36 players continually crowded in 1/6th of the ground when we have the ball. It always ends up going to a 50/50 marking contest. Rarely do we spread, let along have one or two out wide or deep in our forward 50 for a lead-up target. We're talking about footy basics.

Many could argue that our list is currently superior to that of Hawthorns, yet Clarkson, his game plan, and team's ability to execute it was by far superior. So much so, they tripled our goal tally - and don't give me that rubbish about us missing, they were missed because all were seemed rushed and under pressure like everything else in the game plan.

It's time club staff get put under the magnifying glass. Each player is by them. I'll give it a few more weeks, but so far the game plan and its execution led by the coaching staff is atrocious! 

• Like 1

I've been off the Goodwin bandwagon since midway through last year when he raked our players over the coals for taking it up to the dogs pregame in our best performance to date.

He said he "didn't understand" social media, which basically said to me he had no interest in or connection with our players and wasn't willing to even try. He wants our players to be "humble". Well I'd prefer they be arrogant tossers, because arrogant tossers win. 

• Like 5

What a touchup by the hawks.Our team absolutely humiliated the loyal supporters.like fake news we have a fake team.

Our backline has gone to [censored] since Rawlings left. Jetta and Hunts form has been terrible this year. Don’t get me started on Lever.

chaplin was a [censored] player and proving to be a [censored] coach

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Age said:

He is not. He has a game plan that I know the players don’t believe in. Look at the last quarter. They have actually given up. 

I assume you have verifiable inside intel that proves this? Otherwise it's bs

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

blar, blar, blar . . .

I remember the same being said of Clarkson, Thompson, Hardwick, Williams and even of Jeans. 12 flags between them at last count. This thread is a pretty typical supporter thread after a bad loss. Knee jerk reactions and little perspective. 

There's a good chance we'll come out and seriously touch-up Punt Road on Tuesday week and the narrative will turn around 180 degrees. Such is human nature and the lot of being a Melbourne supporter. 

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Added a par.
  • Like 4

If we don’t make finals this year i truly think Goodwin should be sacked.

• Like 1

Goodwin will never coach a flag

Goody is not the guy for the job. Everyone BUT Goody could see what was happening today.  No changes were made, we just stuck with the same crap and got mauled. By the Hawks. Again.

What a sad day for this club. You could say, but look, what a first qtr. Sure, but what happened after was classic Melbourne. With the list we have, that's unacceptable.

My fear is that Goody will use up the best years of this list, with nothing to show for it.

1 minute ago, DeeZee said:

If we don’t make finals this year i truly think Goodwin should be sacked.

We won't make the finals with Goodwin at the helm. You don't rest Gawn for 10 minutes and allow McKovey to take over the game - going up against an undersized James Harmes. Goodwin is the kinda coach we all would've loved when we were trying to lose games. But now we actually want to win games Goowin is the last bloke you'd want in charge. I'd sack him this week he is absolutely hopeless and has no idea. None.

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Goodwin will never coach a flag

Which is exactly what Richmond fans said of Hardwick.

• Like 6

A very interesting thread to bookmark. Lots of Landers will be patting themselves on the back or wiping egg off their face at the end of the year

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

blar, blar, blar . . .

I remember the same being said of Clarkson, Thompson, Hardwick, Williams and even of Jeans. 12 flags between them at last count. This thread is a pretty typical supporter thread after a bad loss. Knee jerk reactions and little perspective. 

It is definitely a knee-jerk reaction, but Goodwin has done very little to date.

We're constantly reminded of how the players are made accountable for their actions, so now some of us are questioning him and his game plan. He too must be accountable after a big loss.

I'll give him time it's only one bad loss, but let's face it the club must make finals this year, and if not he and his position should be reevaluated.

Cannot blame coaches every time.  Goodwin must stop this brainless bombing into the forward line.  Our group decade after decade with new faces cannot seem to prevent a mid game crisis.  McCartney, Goodwin are not fools!  It is something none of us can see, Watching the game it seemed the whole team was rudderless and no serious attempt to do anything to change momentum.  This group have talent but zero instinct to change when it’s needed.  Robots with no brains.

Tagging Mitchell was a good move (though a no brainer)

tagging him with our 2nd best contested ball winner was stupid, it nullified every advantage we gained by keeping Mitchell to mid 20 possessions.  Particularly since we had no Tyson.

Our game plan doesn't suit our team; Contested footy is good/great; but bombing it long to 1 tall; again stupid.

We also don't have the speed to play the high all or nothing defence; so when the contest gets evened the opposition forwards are free to do what they want (ably assisted by a midfield that have moved past/onwards from ours).

He lost badly in the box v Clarko. The first quarter was a mirage and something Goodwin stubbornly stuck too thinking it'll turn around instead of playing to the conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

We have a very good list yet our game plan is pathetic and mentally Goodwin can’t get these players up. 

Roos did a better job with a much poorer list. There’s a reason why he wanted Dew. Goodwin was second choice and you can see why.

Cannot fault any of that Jaded. The longer he stays, the longer he destroys all of Roos' good work.

Hell, i'd have PJ step in as head coach. Sure he ain't a coach, but at least he'd used common sense.

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

He's still the man for the job.  Everyone hits bumps in the road.

However, how he responds today is the big question.  The next month will now be very telling for us as a club.  It's a long season and it's not as if we're 0-4.  If we fail to make finals then, yes, you could argue he isn't.  But we haven't made it that far yet.  

Sorry Wise, no offence, but this is the exact spin the club will throw at Supporters this week

The Club is still mentally weak at the first breath of Pressure. Goodwin has been here for almost 3 years, that’s getting up to 1,000 days and he still ccannot prepare a side for pressure. Do you think Whorethorn were going to take a loss easy?

they played the conditions, we did not. 

Why? It aint rocket science. 

Keep the ball low, and move it forward any way you can

Goodwin was the 2nd choice coach and he aint doing a great job 

during the game. NOTHING CHANGED

Why sit there with a phone speechless?

Plan B Plan C

we got nothing

Players not steeled for a tough day....

F$&@ing hopeless

• Like 3

Possibly not, we’ll find out more over the entire season to come... 

Just now, jacey said:

He lost badly in the box v Clarko. The first quarter was a mirage and something Goodwin stubbornly stuck too thinking it'll turn around instead of playing to the conditions.

Wouldn't be the first coach to be out coached by Clarko.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I suggest that not one nuffie who has posted on this thread knows whether Goodwin can coach. or not.

That said, his team is a reflection of him and it was a bad day in the office.  If it was dry I reckon the Dees win.  Their wet weather footy was pathetic.  And how that ****  Bugg gets a game is beyond me.  I have an unhealthy hate for that ****.  While I'm at it, Harmes, Melksham and a few others can you know what.

I also recognise that every coach in history has had nuffies call for their head.  Early days Clarkson had it, Bomber Thompson had it, and virtually his entire coaching career Hardwicke has had it. It comes with the territory.    

Nuffies are going to nuff.

In 26 games he's had more wins than losses, so I'll cut a young coach some slack in round 4.

• Like 6

As a lesser club that has difficulty financially we cannot afford to lose either supporters or the opportunity of a reasonable list.

Today is not the first time Goodwin has been shown to be wanting.

He lacks both man management skills and tactical skills.

Scraping into the 8 is not a successful outcome for this club. We need to have season momentum (that equals revenue) and one or two finals wins so we can move towards a 50k membership basis.

There is a lot at stake here and simple loyalty to a guy is the worst thing we could do.

• Like 1